Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any ride difference when using a rear rack?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 12:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts

Odd question, has anyone noticed increased stiffness or ride/handing differences when adding a rear rack, especially one where there are eyelets on the drops outs and on the seat stays for attachment? reason i ask is I am in early stages of contemplating a custom and thinking pros/cons of various options

thanks

Old 05-01-20, 01:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
no
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-01-20, 01:06 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
That's my exact scenario (rear rack, seat stay and dropout eyelet mounting) coming up if UPS delivers on time today. Looking forward to finding out.

Last edited by rseeker; 05-01-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 01:07 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
If the geometry is favorable to a rear load and stability, then no difference, even with the added weight. Specific examples are that I had a rear rack on my old Puch Bergmeister, which had a long wheelbase and generous fork curve, and it was very stable with a rear load. The same is true for my Motobecane Grand Record. I also had a rack on a Felt SR91 flat bar road bike with a pretty steep fork rake and tight geometry, and with every bump, it seemed like the front wheel wanted to flop and fold under me.

Without any load, there was no perceptible difference between rack and rackless.
Old 05-01-20, 01:49 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I’m a big fan of versatile bikes, especially since the stable has to be kept small.

A Tubus Fly SS rack lives on my Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer (43.5cm chainstays, 103cm wheelbase) mostly full-time, usually with this bag. The 6-7.5 liter bag is attached to the seatpost, but it’s weight is supported by the rack. I’ve also ridden it sans rack, or with a smaller bag, but also with a full single pannier when I used it for long work commutes. The only difference in all those configurations is the influence of additional weight going up the many hills around here. Descents and flat roads are unaffected. When I once used two large and full panniers, the handling was less confident, but I’m sure that was just the relatively extreme weight shift off the front, which was notably on less secure (i.e., skinnier) tires.

It’s worth noting that the rack is quite stiff laterally with its triangulated design of strong but light tubes, and the single forward link, a solid rod to rack mount on the seat stay, doesn’t have to do much.

Likes For Dfrost:
Old 05-01-20, 01:56 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Just a lightweight rack, id say no. However i have removed front and rear racks and fenders and had an eye opening exp. What amounted to possibly 4 lbs turned a nice bike into a wonderful bike. That said, all my bikes have fenders and at least 1 rack.
Old 05-01-20, 02:11 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 377 Posts
I have a trunk bag on one of my bikes (Guerciotti TSX). It mounts just on the seat post. I use this bike for my long hauls away from home. So, it's loaded with a bunch of tools and it's heavy. Yes, I do feel a handling difference. I say it feels a little loose. Nothing drastic though.
Old 05-01-20, 02:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I know if you bungee a couple Weber gas grill cast iron grates on top with one side pannier full of commuter stuff it affects your handling.

In general I don't really notice any affect normally.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-01-20, 02:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
As others have said, the rack alone won’t have any discernible effect, but load it up and you willlikely notice a change in handling characteristics. I do know that gugie has said a front rack with stays to the dropout eyelets will stiffen up a front end, usually beyond what one would want.
Old 05-01-20, 02:49 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
PletcherRat Trap Racks

Off the topic... the ubiquitous old Swiss made Pletcher "rat trap" rear racks used to shake side to side with any kind of load on them which could severely affect the bike's handling causing a front end shimmy.

The clamps that attached to the seat stays was one source of the problem, the other was the was flimsy design of the struts. But for $5 bucks what did you expect?

We used to use plastic covered wiring harness clamps to attach the rack to the seat stay on all of the ones that we installed. It reduced a lot of the shimmy plus those clamps were less like to come loose like the Pletcher strap clamps always did.

There was a US made Pletcher knock off rack that didn't have the rat trap spring device. They had more robust struts and gussets cast into the rack where they attached. The racks were powder coated red. I had one that I used one for heavy touring and there wasn't much shimmy induced wheel wobble on high speed descents.

By 1975-76 Blackburn and Eclipse racks hit the market. They solved the shimmy problems.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-02-20 at 04:26 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-01-20, 02:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
has anyone noticed increased stiffness or ride/handing differences when adding a rear rack...
Absolutely.

I always have my Blackburn rack on my Moto Grand Record for grocery getting. But in the summer, I remove the rack a few weeks and get the bike out on longer rides. It's a stable bike anyway, with heavier rear stays than my others, but I can definitely tell a difference without the rack. The bike feels livelier and lighter. It feels more like one of my full 531 bikes. I look forward to removing it each summer. It reminds me of its first purchase years ago. It feels new again. Fast.
Old 05-01-20, 03:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
What's this thing? A rear rack...

Old 05-01-20, 03:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I never noticed a rear rack making any difference at all but weight on it making a huge difference for this guy who loves to climb and accelerate from lights out of the saddle and throw the bike side to side in "the dance". With weight back there at the end of a lever the length of almost the entire bike and my hands trying ot fight it with a lever only 16" long,it gets old fast. I do that climbing without the dance, holding the bike steady.

My love is LowRider (or equivalent) racks up front with low panniers on them. There I can do the full dance with a lot of weight. Easy on the hands and I can do a full side-to-side rock.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-01-20, 03:23 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
That's a good question. It never occurred to me that my rear rack would effect the ride. I ride a comfort bike at speeds that handling isn't likely to be effected, so there's no problem there. But I must say when I ride MUP's and sidewalks with small curbs the rear of the bike REALLY slams. I stand for some of the small curbs at driveways.

Mine bolts to the drops outs and on the seat stays and I must say looks pretty darn strong. It wouldn't surprise me if it makes a noticeable difference in ride. I think I'm going to remove it one day to see if it helps. Perhaps I can mount it in such a way that that there is some give or a pivot of some sort without adversely effecting its stability for the light loads I carry.
Old 05-01-20, 03:40 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I've never noticed a difference, but I guess I pretty much never ride bikes with empty racks either. I guess theoretically it might add some stiffness and resistance to lateral deflection. I'd guess it would be pretty small difference. It seems to me the down tube of the main frame is way more important. There's probably FEA of this somewhere. Anyhow, It wouldn't be that hard to jury rig a setup to test deflection with and without a rack, if you were super motivated.

With a loaded rear rack, it's absolutely different. You can't wag the bike back and forth at all, as noted above. Being that out of the saddle climbing is maybe the main beneficiary of a stiffer frame, it kind of renders any improvements moot...

AFA ride quality, IMHO it's the distortion of the main 'triangle' and deflection of the fork that is most responsible for vertical compliance. A rear rack wouldn't change that.
Old 05-01-20, 03:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
As others have said, the rack alone won’t have any discernible effect, but load it up and you willlikely notice a change in handling characteristics. I do know that gugie has said a front rack with stays to the dropout eyelets will stiffen up a front end, usually beyond what one would want.
Like Neal sez. There are designs for low rider racks that minimize the effect, snd racks that attach mid-fork and near the fork crown don’t affect fork stiffness. A steel fork with slender blades will give significantly on bumpy roads, especially washboard.
Old 05-01-20, 04:13 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have a Tubus Cargo Evo rack on my Cannondale Quick CX hybrid, and a Tubus Fly Evo on my Cannondale Synapse endurance road bike. I don't believe there's any difference in handling, except a little added weight.

I've ridden both bikes with and without racks. I detect no difference in frame stiffness with the racks. The Cargo Evo adds one and a quarter pounds to the bike. The Fly Evo adds about three quarters of a pound to the bike. They're both very sturdy; the Cargo can handle officially up to 55 pounds, unofficially up to 88. The Fly can handle 44 pounds. Sure, with panniers attached or a trunk there will be a difference in handling. And if racing were my thing I'd remove the racks just so that my psychological state doesn't focus on how much the rack is contributing to me getting beaten.

It would be securing a rod between the seat stay mount points and the drop-outs. That would stiffen the ride a lot. But a rack has a lot of give in its geometry because the seat stay mount points and the drop-out mount points form approximately a right angle; there's a lot of flex available.

Tubus racks don't have a solid platform; they're just tubes. As such, I feel they would probably have less of a footprint when you're out in gusty conditions. When I used to ride with a rack that had a plate/platform, I noticed it more when in a cross-wind.

I think you will discover once you get used to how it looks, you're going to forget it's there.

Last edited by daoswald; 05-01-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 04:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
they do add wind drag especially with a trunk. not enough to discourage me. but I remember seeing a wind tunnel analysis video showing various designs I think the best design was one that is just attached to the seat post and angles upward hiding from the slipstream behind the rider’s back
Old 05-01-20, 06:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
No ride difference unloaded. Ride changes incrementally with load. If it's just a couple towels or a jacket then no big deal. If you put a twelve pack of beer on one side & a watermelon on the other side then oh boy! It can be a pretty dramatic impact.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-01-20, 06:43 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Just a lightweight rack, id say no. However i have removed front and rear racks and fenders and had an eye opening exp. What amounted to possibly 4 lbs turned a nice bike into a wonderful bike. That said, all my bikes have fenders and at least 1 rack.
Those four-ish extra pounds imbue a good bike with a sense of grace while in motion. But take them out and the bike becomes something really special. Unencumbered, it is it's truest self.

That was a bit, uh, effusive, but the thrust remains. Now you know why it's so hard for me to saddle a bike, even a touring bike, with such things. It's great the way it is!

Fenders, plus a front and rear rack on my former '90 Cannondale ST400 made for a fantastic ride. It just glided along!
Old 05-01-20, 06:56 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
On a super flexy frame, yes.

I have a titanium track bike I've had for ~15yrs. When I was closer to 200lbs, standing for hills would cause the rear end to shimmy all over the place. I installed a seatpost collar with integrated rack mounts and p-clamps for the legs to install a rear rack. It made a palatable difference.
Old 05-01-20, 07:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I was quite surprised that this item didn't noticeable affet the handling of my bicycle.

Yes, there was a brand new 50 pints dehumidifier in that box.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-02-20, 01:17 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
On a super flexy frame, yes.

I have a titanium track bike I've had for ~15yrs. When I was closer to 200lbs, standing for hills would cause the rear end to shimmy all over the place. I installed a seatpost collar with integrated rack mounts and p-clamps for the legs to install a rear rack. It made a palatable difference.
Wow, I'm having a hard time imagining you at 200 lbs! I guess you'd lost at least 40 by the time I'd met you. But maybe because I've always been around 200 lbs or a little more, I'm used to a little flexing on all my steel bikes, at least. I've never noticed a rack to reduce that. But once I've got a rack on back, I tend to load it up and that leads to a little tail shake when I'm mashing. So for that reason, a rear rack increases flex for me
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-02-20, 02:22 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I'm using the car as little as possible at the moment due to being on furlough, so I bought a cheap rack, bag, and panniers for my AO-8.

Unloaded I can't tell the difference to be honest - it's not the lightest bike to start with. Add 40 pounds of shopping and you do notice it, especially going uphill. The steering is fine though, and no problems braking.
Old 05-02-20, 06:29 AM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
You may notice some amount of "tail wagging the dog" effect (even on a triangulated rear rack) if you bungee a 50 lb window air conditioner to your rack and haul it a few miles down the road.
I did some crazy **** before I had car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.