Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any way to differentiate who made this 92 Schwinn?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 11:32 PM
yuoil 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This bike is so not-fancy I almost didn't post about it but I decide I might as well! I've very curious to see if there's some way to attribute a manufacturer to this frame.

So, a literal ton of bikes go through my hands and almost never do the hybrids surprise me, even though some are very nice bicycles. However, this model year '92 Schwinn CrissCross, wearing its Blue Velvet Gas paint, caught me off guard! It was a throw away ($0) so I lubricated it to get it shifting and ride-able before passing it along to a charity or neighbor. Then I test rode it! Ended up riding it about 40 miles, dirt roads, pavement, and some moderately intermediate east coast trails. The components aren't completely functional, but the frame really is exceptional, for what must be an entry level bike: It climbs far better than expected, I can keep it at a good speed on pavement, stable no hands even at rather low speed, off road, I am able to very precisely to plant the wheels where I want them and I don't get self steering under heavy braking. Really a head scratcher to me... I might have to keep it.

I'm really shocked. Anyway, I got to thinking about who built this bike. The frame is well made, but has no COO sticker on it. Serial is H124810, and the latest date codes I can find on the components are 1991 Suntour date codes, but they're not all readable. Headbadge is 2421, but I know that's not reliable.

Any way to tell if this was made by China Bike Co, Giant, or in Mississippi the last year they were there? I know it claims True Temper tubing and has USA on the seat tube, but I imagine this is an Asian bicycle. Bike turned up 26lb 6oz on the Park Scale with no bag on it. Can't remember if it had the old saddle then.

Here it is on a bog (I never take pictures. Sorry it's out of frame):

Old 05-18-20, 01:02 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I don't think Schwinn made any hybrid/MTB type bikes in Greenville, so my guess would be Taiwan or China. I had one of these pass through my hands a long time ago, too. I was surprised by how light it felt. It was too incomplete for me to mess with at the time, and not my size, so I passed it along to a co-op without having done anything to it.

I kinda/sorta wouldn't mind finding one in my size. What's your guess on how big a tire you can fit on it?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-18-20, 09:59 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I have a lugged frame CrissCross serial GE018801/606730B4, so it was made by Giant in Taiwan I figure. It has "Schwinn" DB cro-mo frame tubes and cro-mo forks.
The head badge was missing when I got, so i replaced it with one I got from a salvage bike.

Last edited by dweenk; 05-18-20 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 10:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's definitely not CBC or Giant. The serial number would appear to indicate August 1991 which matches well with the badge date. The format could be Greenville or Bridgestone. Given the era, I'd suspect the former. A country of origin label would provide the definitive answer between the two.

Edit: I vaguely recalled a Crisscross road test, so I went back into my archives and found a 1992 model road test. It states that it was manufactured in Taiwan. That eliminates both Greenville and Bridgestone, unless there was multiple sourcing. Offhand, I don't recall a Taiwanese manufacturer employing that serial number format.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-18-20 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-18-20, 05:36 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Around that time, Schinn had contracted some of their bike to be made in Hungary - my '90 Woodlands looks very similar to the OP's bike, and is one of those Hungarian -made bikes.. Not a bad bike, really, also rescued from the treelawn on garbage day...
Old 05-18-20, 10:08 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Heh.
I've got nearly the same bike, serial number H124902. Same color, with a 51cm (C2C) seat tube, 57cm top tube.
I'll have to look for a COO sticker.
Old 05-18-20, 10:45 PM
Iowa10Speed
Iowa10Speed

Bikes: 87 Schwinn Prologue, 85 Trek 720, 86 Panasonic Pro Touring, 75 Schwinn Voyageur II ("Voyareo"). projects: 98 Lemond Zurich, 81 Raleigh Competition GS, 50 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I have the same bike too. s/n SPA01166 (the "P" is partly paint-filled. Looks like a question mark, so could be a 2?). Head-badge is 0662, so early 1992. Any idea who made mine?

There is a "Made in China" sticker in the middle of the downtube, and a sticker at the bottom of the downtube: "Lightweight Cro-mo Frame" - no mention of double-butting or a supplier like TruTemper. There is also a decal that says "USA designed".

I intend to "someday" use it as a gravel bike. Had it out a couple times and it did well on chunkier Iowa gravel, and nice on paved trails. But it needs drop bars - the flat bar KILLED my poor shoulders. It has the original 42 mm tires but could go wider.
Old 05-18-20, 11:28 PM
c0rbin9

Bikes: None

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Definitely worth posting, early 90s hybrids are near-ideal do-everything bikes.
Old 05-19-20, 12:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by c0rbin9
I had a 93 Giant hybrid I rode in every imaginable condition for 20 years, until the rear dropout cracked. While living in southern Belize, the worst road conditions I have ever seen, let alone ridden, I put a 26" front shock on it.

Old 05-19-20, 10:20 PM
yuoil 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow I didn't expect so many responses! Please forgive my delays in responding. Work is diabolical right now! I'm happy to see interest, though. I'm more of a lurker than a poster...

This bike really impressed me. I'm glad to see feedback that I'm not crazy! I'll try to get some better picture later. The color is really nice. Sometimes it is blue-ish over the red. I can't believe it was a throw away.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I don't think Schwinn made any hybrid/MTB type bikes in Greenville, so my guess would be Taiwan or China. I had one of these pass through my hands a long time ago, too. I was surprised by how light it felt. It was too incomplete for me to mess with at the time, and not my size, so I passed it along to a co-op without having done anything to it.
I kinda/sorta wouldn't mind finding one in my size. What's your guess on how big a tire you can fit on it?
I'm just curious about COO. It doesn't really matter beyond that I am impressed. The ride quality of the frame is superb. I'd feel somewhat vindicated (for some reason) if this was an Asian frame. I feel like it's a Giant, based off of other Giant's of the same era, but I have no evidence it's true.
I will take some time and see. I have 35/38ish on there. I think at least 42. I have all the sizes around so I'll see if a 45c fits. I think I may put 40c Ramblers on this and use it as a multi-surface bike. I'll see if it fits and report back. Maybe Thursday?
It even has a mount mid-fork for a front rack!

Originally Posted by dweenk
I have a lugged frame CrissCross serial GE018801/606730B4, so it was made by Giant in Taiwan I figure. It has "Schwinn" DB cro-mo frame tubes and cro-mo forks.
The head badge was missing when I got, so i replaced it with one I got from a salvage bike.
Thank you for the response! I expected a "G" in my serial number and was surprised to not find one. I don't know how consistent Giant was about that. I don't know if there was ever a COO sticker on this bike. I can't find the normal old-sticky-spot from where the Made in China/Taiwan label would have been... I like the blue color of your bike though. Might less "eye catching" than the blue velvet color I have here. Still, it's different.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's definitely not CBC or Giant. The serial number would appear to indicate August 1991 which matches well with the badge date. The format could be Greenville or Bridgestone. Given the era, I'd suspect the former. A country of origin label would provide the definitive answer between the two.
Thank you for the response T-Mar! I was hoping the serial format would be a clue. This pre-dates my first hand experience. I originally thought Greenville but wasn't sure. The closest thing to COO sticker I can find is the USA decal on the down tube. Nothing on the headtube, down tube or seat tube I can see.

have repaired/ridden this era and year crosspoint/crosscut/crisscross/etc before and this one is a real stand out in... alive-iness? I don't really know how else to explain it but that i's very reactive to my inputs. Probably just a good day for the frame brazer and alignment team but it is a stand out in my experience. Not that they filed the lugs and aligned the frame or anything, but it just feels very well executed for a low-tier bike to me. I look forward to riding it!

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Around that time, Schinn had contracted some of their bike to be made in Hungary - my '90 Woodlands looks very similar to the OP's bike, and is one of those Hungarian -made bikes.. Not a bad bike, really, also rescued from the treelawn on garbage day...
I know what you mean. I have had some Woodland's come through and none had the feel of this bike to me. I think this bike may have been made in the death throes of the original Schwinn empire and it really may be impossible to know who made it.
As a side note, the Hungarian bikes I have seen all reminded me of Huffy/Kent level of execution. Flimsy drop outs and messy welds. Though, I think they got very little chance manufacturing for Schwinn. Somewhere or another I believe I read that the Hungarian factories were rapidly-converted sewing machine or washing machine factories and the workers weren't used to the American management structure so thus doomed to fail.

Originally Posted by Hudson308
Heh.
I've got nearly the same bike, serial number H124902. Same color, with a 51cm (C2C) seat tube, 57cm top tube.
I'll have to look for a COO sticker.
Thank you Hudson! Mine is the same measurements, I believe. Very long bike. This is a good CTC top tube for me for a drop conversion, though. The 26.6 seatpost isn't that common but it's just long enough for me. I'd replace it with a high quality silver 350+ post if it comes my way.

Originally Posted by Iowa10Speed
I have the same bike too. s/n SPA01166 (the "P" is partly paint-filled. Looks like a question mark, so could be a 2?). Head-badge is 0662, so early 1992. Any idea who made mine?
There is a "Made in China" sticker in the middle of the downtube, and a sticker at the bottom of the downtube: "Lightweight Cro-mo Frame" - no mention of double-butting or a supplier like TruTemper. There is also a decal that says "USA designed".
I intend to "someday" use it as a gravel bike. Had it out a couple times and it did well on chunkier Iowa gravel, and nice on paved trails. But it needs drop bars - the flat bar KILLED my poor shoulders. It has the original 42 mm tires but could go wider.
I agree with you! The bars on my bike are probably only 6 degrees back sweep with no rise, max. If they were 15-20% They'd be great. They're very wide and flat, for the era and not the best for me personally. Thanks for the reporting of the 42c. I think a 45 may fit. If it's a keeper I'll be putting drop bars on it for sure. I was thinking about Nitto Noodles at 42-44 and a dynamic 100. My stem measures 120mm or so, as far as I can tell, with about 30 degrees rise so it's rather high. It definitely has a True Temper Butted Cromoly Tubing Frame and Fork label on it. I was surprised! I'll try to recall to take a picture.

Originally Posted by c0rbin9
We could say they are the grand-daddy of Gravel bikes, or maybe the children of randonneur bikes? I'll get Singer labels printed! I don't have a ton of mileage on it yet. But I think once I sort out ergonomics it will really be a Swiss-army-knife bike.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I had a 93 Giant hybrid I rode in every imaginable condition for 20 years, until the rear dropout cracked. While living in southern Belize, the worst road conditions I have ever seen, let alone ridden, I put a 26" front shock on it.
I haven't gotten much chance to ride since whatever-day I posted this but I took it for a few quick spins off road after work and if I can load my weight on the tire it's very much like a 29er mountain bike with less grippy tires. Very capable bike. I'm glad to meet this bike. Really an eye opener for me. The only things I really don't like are the no-sweep bars and old brake pads. So I'll fix both! If the x1 right shifter were friction that'd be icing on the cake.

Thank you again for the friendly feedback! I wasn't sure this bike would be welcome in C&V!

Last edited by yuoil; 05-19-20 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 02:45 PM
yuoil 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman

Sorry for the large pictures. The rear freewheel that came with the bike was making a knocking sounds in the lower gears so I used the opportunity to swap the wheel out until I can service the hub/freewheel. The easiest wheel for me to find for this bike was a Matrix Tour rim, Sansin hub, same or similiar AP freewheel. The rim is 22m outside and almost 16 internal. I had 1 Bontrager whatever model tire labeled 700x45c so I put it on. Measured a little over 44c at 50PSI on this rim. There's definitely a lot of room on the front. The clearance on the rear is tight near the reflector hanger, which could be bent or whatever, and the seat stays. This wheel is off dish to the non-drive side about 2-3mm so I would say with a true wheel you might be able to squeeze in 47c and have no rub on this bike.
Old 05-26-20, 03:23 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Sold lots of these when they were new! 1991 was the last year for the Greenville bikes. I'm pretty sure in 92' these were all CBC. I don't remember any coming from Giant that year although it is possible.
Old 10-08-20, 10:59 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I came upon this thread trying to identify the year for an identical Schwinn crisscross I just bought. Mine says designed in USA and made in China. I just made an account to post this and apparently I can't attach pictures yet lol.