Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Shared-Use Path over New Tappan Zee Bridge

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 06:25 AM
S_Allms

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking of all the connected dedicated bike paths, paved and unpaved, that go from the west side of the Hudson River in New Jersey up into New York. In 2018, when the shared-use path over the new Tappan Zee is opens, there will be a nearly continuous off-road route from Liberty State Park to Millerton, New York (near Massachusetts), using the Metro-North at Brewster to ride up to Wassaic and the Harlem Valley Rail Trail there.

It'll go through Hoboken and Weehawken, up the Palisades and into Tallman, then along the paths in Nyack and over the bridge. From there, it goes up the Andre Brook trail to the Tarrytown Lakes and onto the North County Trailway, then the Putnam County Trailway to Brewster. From there I guess you could come back to New York via the Metro North, or keep going via the Harlem Line up to Wassaic and the Harlem Valley trail to Millerton.

If you could fix, improve or add something to the route, what would it be?
Old 09-06-16, 09:25 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by S_Allms
I was thinking of all the connected dedicated bike paths, paved and unpaved, that go from the west side of the Hudson River in New Jersey up into New York. In 2018, when the shared-use path over the new Tappan Zee is opens, there will be a nearly continuous off-road route from Liberty State Park to Millerton, New York (near Massachusetts), using the Metro-North at Brewster to ride up to Wassaic and the Harlem Valley Rail Trail there.

It'll go through Hoboken and Weehawken, up the Palisades and into Tallman, then along the paths in Nyack and over the bridge. From there, it goes up the Andre Brook trail to the Tarrytown Lakes and onto the North County Trailway, then the Putnam County Trailway to Brewster. From there I guess you could come back to New York via the Metro North, or keep going via the Harlem Line up to Wassaic and the Harlem Valley trail to Millerton.

Sorry I don't have anything to add, but welcome to Bike Forums.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-06-16, 10:29 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by S_Allms

Are the plans for a bike lane over the Tappan Zee finalized? Do you have anything to confirm this? I have not heard this but if this is true it would be welcome news.
Old 09-06-16, 10:56 AM
S_Allms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
Are the plans for a bike lane over the Tappan Zee finalized? Do you have anything to confirm this? I have not heard this but if this is true it would be welcome news.
They are; the path is really nice. There are six themed "belvederes", or view points, along the way, and bathrooms/parking at each end of the bridge. They'll open the pathway in 2018 and (finally) a bike-able river crossing closer to the city, with lots of access to the Hudson Line trains, the rivertowns, and the many bike paths from Tarrytown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shared_use_belvedere1.jpg (21.6 KB, 384 views)
Belvedere-3.jpg (22.4 KB, 381 views)
TARRYTOWN_TIDES_BELVEDERE.jpg (89.1 KB, 380 views)
Old 09-06-16, 10:56 AM
S_Allms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Sorry I don't have anything to add, but welcome to Bike Forums.
Thanks!
Old 09-06-16, 12:27 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@S_Allms I saw your response but for some reason it disappeared. That is great news!
Old 09-06-16, 01:23 PM
S_Allms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@S_Allms I saw your response but for some reason it disappeared. That is great news!
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there! But the path will open in 2018 with some
cool rest areas and art work across the span. There's great train service and a whole network of bike paths on the Tarrytown side and I think that really opens up some possibilities for different routes and loops back to the city.
Old 09-06-16, 03:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
The TZ path stayed thru the design phases and is happening, from all I can find out. The bridge is 50% finished and I would think it's not something they add after the fact as the approach lane steel from the Nyack side is in place.

Design Features | The New NY Bridge Project

Can't say where you go once you get into Tarrytown, not many great roads in that area, Rt9 sucks for bikes. If you have wider tires the Old Croton Aqueduct is right there.
Old 09-06-16, 04:43 PM
S_Allms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The TZ path stayed thru the design phases and is happening, from all I can find out. The bridge is 50% finished and I would think it's not something they add after the fact as the approach lane steel from the Nyack side is in place.

Design Features | The New NY Bridge Project

Can't say where you go once you get into Tarrytown, not many great roads in that area, Rt9 sucks for bikes. If you have wider tires the Old Croton Aqueduct is right there.
Once you get to Tarrytown, you can ride the North County Trailway (paved) north to the Putnam County trailway (Brewster), catch the Metro-North to Wassaic and the Harlem Valley Rail Trail and keep going to Millerton. Eventually that trailway will end in Chatham. Or, you can ride south back to New York via the South County Trailway, a paved bike path that goes through Van Cortlandt, and you can connect to the Moshulu Greenway all the way to City Island. I guess you could also catch the train from Tarrytown north or south -- north to the Bear Mountain Bridge, or up to Beacon or Poughkeepsie and the Walkway Over the Hudson to the Hudson Valley Trail.

Also, theyh're connecting the Lakes paved trailway in Tarrytown to the Bronx River Trailway and Kensico Dam, which will be nice...
Old 09-07-16, 06:43 AM
monsterkidz
monster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully the Westchester side of the Tappan Zee will become more bike friendly with the addition of the new path. Currently, Tarrytown, Elmsford etc are just not good places to ride compared to other parts of the county.
Old 09-07-16, 11:05 AM
NYSteve

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went to the nybridge website and they show pictures of the shared use path. I just hope the access to this bridge is a lot better than WWOTH. Such a beautiful ride up there, but crappy signage.
Old 09-07-16, 11:28 AM
NYSteve

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went to the nybridge website and they show pictures of the shared use path. I just hope the access to this bridge is a lot better than WWOTH. Such a beautiful ride up there, but crappy signage.
Old 09-07-16, 05:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
My Westchester buddy explained to me that at some point in the very distant future, the TZ path will connect on the east side of the river with the proposed Hudson River Greenway, a path designated to run from NYC to Albany.

They are obviously having issues figuring out exactly where to put this path in a lot of places. I can see where Westchester might be problematic.

Maybe someday they'll be an on-street marked route from the GW, up thru Piermont and Nyack to the TZ, then east and over to the NCT and SCT and back to the city. That'll be a fun loop.

And as note about Walkway, at least it has a MUT on both sides that allow you to actually go somewhere, east and south to Hopewell, west to New Paltz and to the Walkill trail.
Old 09-07-16, 06:26 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Maybe someday they'll be an on-street marked route from the GW, up thru Piermont and Nyack to the TZ, then east and over to the NCT and SCT and back to the city. That'll be a fun loop.
Bike Rt 9 is marked and I believe goes all the way to the Canadian border, where no wall is planned.https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/po...arg_values=145
Old 09-11-16, 09:48 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
A loop from the GWB up through NJ and Piermont to Nyack and across and back down the SCT would be great. At least the SCT is flat when you have had enough of climbing. I could see myself doing that loop pretty frequently, or at least as frequently as I still do long rides these days. It is 70 miles RT from my house in Brooklyn to Nyack, and this route would be close to the same. It also would vary the city riding as I'd go up on Riverside and back on the west side greenway. Getting on the Greenway is a PITA from anywhere other than Dyckman until you get down to 96th so I never do it when I come across the GWB.
Old 09-11-16, 10:13 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Interesting how many of the women depicted in the bridge site's simulations of the ped/bike path appear to be there purely for the visual pleasure of the men walking and riding by.

Ladies, I would get on this right away.
Old 09-11-16, 04:29 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by zacster
A loop from the GWB up through NJ and Piermont to Nyack and across and back down the SCT would be great. At least the SCT is flat when you have had enough of climbing. I could see myself doing that loop pretty frequently, or at least as frequently as I still do long rides these days. It is 70 miles RT from my house in Brooklyn to Nyack, and this route would be close to the same. It also would vary the city riding as I'd go up on Riverside and back on the west side greenway. Getting on the Greenway is a PITA from anywhere other than Dyckman until you get down to 96th so I never do it when I come across the GWB.
But getting getting from Van Cortland Park in the Bronx to 218th in Manhattan can be a harrowing ride down Broadway under the el.
Old 09-12-16, 06:35 PM
zacster

I take Bailey from the park as far as I can before I get on Broadway.
Old 09-15-16, 10:15 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting on the Greenway is a PITA from anywhere other than Dyckman until you get down to 96th so I never do it when I come across the GWB.
You can come off the GWB and shoot straight down 181st to the Greenway. It's very easy.
Old 09-15-16, 10:17 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dendawg
But getting getting from Van Cortland Park in the Bronx to 218th in Manhattan can be a harrowing ride down Broadway under the el.
Just head up Manhattan College Parkway, take West 239th St to Independence Ave, and take that to the Henry Hudson Bridge.
Old 09-16-16, 08:55 PM
zacster

It has never been clear to me whether you can actually cross the Henry Hudson Bridge. The one time I looked for it from the Manhattan side I couldn't find the way across the tracks. And I never tried it in The Bronx. It is marked on Google maps, but you can't get street view that shows all that much.
Old 09-17-16, 10:31 AM
dendawg

It has never been clear to me whether you can actually cross the Henry Hudson Bridge. The one time I looked for it from the Manhattan side I couldn't find the way across the tracks. And I never tried it in The Bronx. It is marked on Google maps, but you can't get street view that shows all that much.
There is a path on the Henry Hudson bridge. It is very narrow and signs say to walk bikes, though it is mostly ignored. To get to and from the HHB from Inwood park involves carrying your bike up and down the stairs of the bridge that crosses the RR tracks. Much easier to take Dyckman to Seaman to 218th and cross over the Broadway bridge which puts you under the el.
Old 06-15-17, 08:43 PM
highmoonpurple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A connection to the Walkway over the Hudson up in Poughkeepsie seems like it would be a great ride. It's a great area.
Old 10-15-17, 06:06 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Technically your suppose to walk the bike over the bridge......no one ever does and I've never seen anyone hassled about it. Your down to Dyckman in a snap and hook up with the Greenway.

I drove over the TZ your on the new span now and I don't see where the bike path is going to be. Has to be on the other span.
Old 10-15-17, 07:28 PM
zacster

A year+ later and I can say that I found the entrance to the HHB in the Bronx and now know where to cross the tracks. Also, if you take Manhattan College Pkwy to the left from Broadway there is a quick path past the subway yard that puts you on Tibbett, which parallels Broadway. It's ok riding. Meanwhile, I took Kingsbridge from Lehman College down, that's a grip you brakes tightly ride down the hill. There must be a better street but that's the one I know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.