Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

My First (Sprint Distance) triathlon

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 02:11 PM
karlfitt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long story short, I completed my first ever (SprintDistance) Triathlon last Saturday.

Long story, and why I’m posting here. I knew I had put in mysignature on this web site when I rode my metric Century, so I came to lookthat up. Wow, was that really 12 years ago?
After completing that metric (Which was just a solo ride byme for 64 Miles) I reached a plateau. Istarted riding a bike again to lose weight. I had gotten up to 290 pounds andwanted to get back in shape. I plateaued at 260 pounds for 6 to 9 months. Andgave up.
Never mind the plateau was my fault. Yes I was exercising.Yes I was counting calories. But I was still eating crap calories.
A little over two years ago I got fed up with myself againand joined a gym. This time I had gotten up to 326 pounds.
I was working out, but not losing much weight. Then the gymhad a challenge. As part of the challenge I got a consultation with anutritionist. It worked. I lost 26 pounds in 12 weeks.
Fast forward to the next year. Still working out. Stillfollowing what the original consult said with regards to eating, the gym hadanother challenge. This time I signed up to work with a nutritionist.
I didn’t lose as much weight during the challenge this time(Only 17 pounds) but I was still moving in the right direction and feelinggreat. So great in fact that I thought about doing a triathlon.
I had the Triathlon idea before, 12 year ago, when I wasriding my bike a lot. Back then I was doing 100 to 120 miles a week. But neverdid it.
Now, I was doing some bike riding (And spin classes) as wellas weights and Cross Fit classes.
Luck was with me and the town I live in hosts a Tri everyyear (I knew this from before) and this year’s race was still 2 months in thefuture. So I signed up.
I told just about everyone I talk to regularly that I signedup. I didn’t want myself backing out. I stared asking at the gym if any of thetrainers had any experience and could help me. I looked on line and found a 6week plan to get me through my first Tri (What the plan said)
At the beginning of the six weeks (Middle of May) I weighedin at 261. Initially the plan was less work than I had been doing at the gym.But I stuck to the plan because running and swimming were both new and I knowfrom experience that if I run too much I develop shin splints.
My weigh in 2 days before the Tri I hit 250. Still well inthe Clydesdale category.
The night before I wondered, would I let the fact that thiswas a race get into my head? Would I push too hard and run out of energy beforethe end?
Race day is here and I feel prettygood. Start of the swim the water is chilly, but not cold (reported to be 70degrees) But I did find myself telling myself not to swim too fast. 800 yardswithout stopping is a long way. I finished the swim just fine, didn’t pushmyself too hard and was never really fatigued or panting during the swim, butas I got out of the water I was a bit woozy and couldn’t walk a straight linemuch less run up to the transition area. After about 25 yards I was able towalk normally, but just did a fast walk up to transition.
Transition is where it fell apartfor me. I wanted to wear my heart rate monitor for the ride and run. I put mychest strap on, but couldn’t find the monitor. It should have been in my shoewith the strap. I looked for it, for way longer than I thought. Finally gave upon it and finished putting my shoes on and went out on the bike.
Bike ride felt great. I was movingquite nicely. Again I asked myself, I moving very good here, but am I savingany energy for the run? I finished the ride very strong. I passed a lot ofpeople. Then came the run.
During training while running Ialways had to slow and rest when my lungs couldn’t take it anymore, my heart ratewas spiked and I was panting. Today it is my thighs. I would run for a bit(Well jog) and have to slow to let my thighs rest. My run time was the slowestof anyone in my class. But I finished which was my main goal. I had a secondarygoal of finishing in under 2 hours but I missed that by 6:35. But looking atthe results I spent over 20 minutes in transition. I didn’t think I wasted thatmuch time looking for my monitor, but obviously I did.
Anyway I feel great that Icompleted that goal and I think I may do this race every year just as an additionalmotivation to stay on track with my current fitness plan.

Thanks for ready my ramblings.
Old 06-30-17, 04:03 PM
StoneFence

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job!

My first tri is in 3 weeks. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 07-04-17, 02:19 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Well done!!! Make a commitment of "more to follow."

StoneFence- good luck on your upcoming tri.
Old 07-05-17, 07:54 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great work. Best not to think of it as a race, but as a workout or funrun.