Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

In search of a shorter cargo bike to carry one kid

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

In search of a shorter cargo bike to carry one kid

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 04:20 PM
alkalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorter cargo bike to carry one kid

I'm currently riding an ancient mountain bike with a Topeak seat on the back but need to upgrade since my kid is almost 5 and 42lbs. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn and plan to commute him on the ferry each day, so the bike needs to be short and maneuverable enough to fit in my elevator and to get on and off the ferry, but big enough to haul one kid and a few more things.

Seems like options for shorter cargo bikes are few. I'm looking at a Yuba Boda Boda V2 (6'2" end to end) and Benno Carry-On (6'1") but I'm very interested in a conversion kit if there's a shorter one out there. I ran into a guy in the park today with an Xtracycle Leap who said he thought there was. Ability to add an assist at some point would be a plus but I'm looking to stay under $1500 for now. Any ideas?

If I get the Carry-On I'll need to get a deck, pads and mini-handlebars since they're not yet making them (coming soon in 2018 but I'll need them as soon as I get the bike).

Thanks!

Last edited by alkalk; 07-09-17 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 09:49 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
it may not make it short enough (or you may not feel like experimenting), but in the home made extracycle thread there were quite a few people who used the swing arm off a cheaper mountain bike to extend a regular bike.

don't know if it would make it short enough, but maybe you could try the rear triangle off a 20" full suspension bike. I think that would be in the 5-6" range of making the extension shorter than the 26" swing arm extension. it's something I'm meaning to try, but a low priority so I haven't started yet. I am hoping to get into the range of a boda-boda though (some cutting and welding will happen though. that may let me make it shorter than a bolt on attempt).
Old 07-11-17, 08:47 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depending how tall you are, the Bike Friday Haul-a-day could be a very good option. The frame actually adjusts in length. I think at the longest setting the whole bike is about 6'3". Should be several inches shorter at the shortest setting. 20" wheels will mean a lower center of gravity for when your kid is on the back. Also inside your budget and made in the US!
Old 07-13-17, 03:56 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by alkalk
I'm currently riding an ancient mountain bike with a Topeak seat on the back but need to upgrade since my kid is almost 5 and 42lbs. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn and plan to commute him on the ferry each day, so the bike needs to be short and maneuverable enough to fit in my elevator and to get on and off the ferry, but big enough to haul one kid and a few more things.

?
Old 07-14-17, 02:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A few years ago Globe made some long wheelbase (120cm, I think, just a little shorter than the Yuba Boda Boda) comfort hybrids like the Carmel with massively overbuilt aluminum frames, like the Yuba. The frame is made like it was intended to be a cargo bike, but they went with a comfort hybrid style instead. Lots of room for panniers to avoid heel strike. Those would make good projects for a cargo/kid-sized passenger bike. BMX type foot pegs could be added for a passenger.

I've had one as a grocery hauler for a couple of years. With a Bontrager BackRack S it handles up to 50 lbs of stuff just fine, between panniers and bungee cording stuff to the top.

The simple Suntour spring fork could be a drawback for some. It's comfortable without a load but a bit bouncy with a loaded bike. I've thought about replacing it with a rigid fork. If I get around to adding a front rack or basket I'll probably consider the rigid fork as well.

And I may add a double-leg kickstand -- the original single was sturdy but came with a chainstay crusher mount that couldn't be tightened enough without damaging the chainstay. The bike includes a properly sturdy plate between the chainstays for a sturdy double leg kickstand -- it just didn't include the proper kickstand.

Globe made two or three other rigid fork models suitable for hauling. I don't see those advertised for sale as often and they usual have higher starting prices. The Globe Carmel typically sells for well under $200 depending on condition. I got mine in very good condition for $100, and last year saw a like new Carmel go for $75. Cheap enough yet sturdy enough to be worth considering as a project bike.
Old 07-16-17, 05:34 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Xtracycle Cargo Node Folding Cargo Bike

It's spendy, but it fits the requirements you stated. Somewhere in the homemade section, someone built a similar bike but put small rollerblade wheels on the back of the frame so when the bike was folded for transport in an elevator, the rider could prop it up on end and roll it around. Just another option.
Old 07-16-17, 10:39 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In your situation I would look into 20" wheels. I am one of those who built several homebuilt longtails and it is not something you want to do in an apartment after work when you are a parent.

Haul-a-day is exelent but since the child is 5 yrs old I would think it is time to look into a Bike Friday tandem or similar.

Also there is "trail-a"bikes that you atatch to the adult bike and the child can do some pedaling. If you use a folder or a 20" bike and atatch a one wheeled unit for the child the whole thing is easyer to manage.

Lovely Bicycle!: A Haul-a-Day in Ireland
Old 10-02-17, 07:02 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Kona Minute. You have to get a used one as they don't make them any more.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 10-02-17, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea Haul a Day.

I expect you can stand it up in the elevator,, Tell them about your needs, and maybe they can add rubber bumpers around the back wheel.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-02-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 12:52 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yea Haul a Day.

I expect you can stand it up in the elevator,, Tell them about your needs, and maybe they can add rubber bumpers around the back wheel.
The haul a Day is a great bike.Quite compact for it's capacity and surprisingly light weight. I've built up a couple of them.
Old 10-11-17, 10:16 AM
DJH8098

Bikes: 2012 Surly Karate Monkey SS, 2012 Surly Cross Check, 2016 Litespeed T3, 2015 Niner RLT 9SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed the Haul-a-day is more than likely your best bet. If money was not an option this would be my choice:https://www.r-m.de/en-us/e-cargo/pac...18P05US_010307 way over budget but cool as heck