Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ridden both the Spesh Futureshock and Redshift Shockstop stem?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 10:27 AM
Gmas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shopping for a new bike and tried an '18 Specialized Diverge with futureshock and it made such a difference to me....to the point where I feel like models without it are a deal breaker.

I know the Redshift Shockstop stem seems to get reviewed quite positively, though the suspension motion between it and the futureshock are different.

I guess I'm wondering how different...or similar, the two techs feel in practice when riding. Do they feel quite different? Or do they do a very similar job?

If the Shockstop stem feels 80-90% similar to the Futureshock, then I'd be more willing to consider other models and just add the Shockstop afterwards.

Thanks for any input or help
Old 09-20-17, 03:31 PM
Gmas

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone?
Old 09-20-17, 04:23 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I can only share one anecdotal report of an unfortunate rider that combined both FS and Redshift rock'em sockem stem on the same bike in pursuit of the holy grail of ride quality nirvana. Sadly he hit a pothole and jettisoned into outer space and wasn't heard from again so no word if he liked the combination.
Old 01-07-18, 06:37 PM
jacksondf
Jacksondf

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix and 2013 Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the shockstop on my 2012 Roubaix. I took it out to test on my bike trail that has a lot of cracks in it. It took the jarring out of the front end but then I couldn't stop noticing how much jarring came through the rear end (which I hadn't noticed before) so I put it on my 2013 Domane 4.5 thinking it would solve all problems since the Domane has the rear decoupler. It was only 50% better or so on the rear end.
After all that, I'm in the market for either the Domane SL6 ($3K) or the Roubaix Comp. ($3,400). I like the colors on the Trek better, so I'm leaning that way, and will install my shockstop on it.
I'm debating the whole disc thing as it adds a pound and a half.
Old 01-07-18, 08:41 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I can only share one anecdotal report of an unfortunate rider that combined both FS and Redshift rock'em sockem stem on the same bike in pursuit of the holy grail of ride quality nirvana. Sadly he hit a pothole and jettisoned into outer space and wasn't heard from again so no word if he liked the combination.
GCN reported the ride was “heavenly”.