Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

WTB Xtracycle

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

WTB Xtracycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 11:25 AM
SimplySycles1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
WTB Xtracycle

Hello all, I am looking to experiment with a long bike in some form. We have several bikes and frames that would seem appropriate for kid/grocery hauling.

Looking to find a used Xtracycle, missing parts, rusted bolts, no bags are fine (even better if cheap)

Thanks all
Ruben in LA
Old 12-16-17, 12:07 PM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
have you looked through the home built xtracycle thread (even though photobucket messed up a lot of the pics. I know mine are gone)? you might be able to cobble up something for yourself.
Old 12-18-17, 12:56 PM
SimplySycles1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
DIY Xtracycle

Originally Posted by Philphine
have you looked through the home built xtracycle thread (even though photobucket messed up a lot of the pics. I know mine are gone)? you might be able to cobble up something for yourself.

Thanks for the idea, yes in fact many of the photos in that thread are gone. Does anyone have or know of a blog (or photo gallery) describing a complete xtracycle DIY?

Thanks
Ruben
Old 12-18-17, 02:11 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
About 3 years ago I decided to change out my full pannier fixed grocery bike and custom Burley cart to another MTN bike with the Xtracycle. I was sorely disappointed. Fully loaded it was a bear and the steering and weight distribution was horrendous to say the least. If you plan to use it only for light runs than I guess it is ok but anything heavier and it gets a bit unruly. I put a double stand on it and even made a custom stand for the rear wheel to help hold it proper when loading. I also had a front wheel keeper to keep the bars from flopping about when loading the rear. It ended up being way too much work and I went back my fixed grocery bike with cart for the large hauls. Much better. BTW, if you do go that route, save yourself some money and only get the base unit. I made all my own risers and footplates custom out of conduit. I do electrical work on the side, so already had the materials and bender(s). The top plate and bilateral foot plates were made custom from 3/4" finished maple plywood. It "looked" good but I if I were to really use a long bike, I would get one that is frame inclusive and not bolted on. It will be more stable without the flex.
Old 12-26-17, 06:07 PM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Check craigslist or FB's Marketplace. That's how I found my second Xtra for the wife's bike. Half the cost of a new base unit and I got bags and the top plate too.

I have the opposite experience from fixedweasel. I find my bike to be relatively stable even with a heavy load, but I have to keep the heavier stuff ahead of the rear axle. I also swapped out my hybrid tires for Marathon balloon tires and keep them close to max psi.
Old 02-12-18, 10:18 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
About 3 years ago I decided to change out my full pannier fixed grocery bike and custom Burley cart to another MTN bike with the Xtracycle. I was sorely disappointed. Fully loaded it was a bear and the steering and weight distribution was horrendous to say the least. If you plan to use it only for light runs than I guess it is ok but anything heavier and it gets a bit unruly. I put a double stand on it and even made a custom stand for the rear wheel to help hold it proper when loading. I also had a front wheel keeper to keep the bars from flopping about when loading the rear. It ended up being way too much work and I went back my fixed grocery bike with cart for the large hauls. Much better. BTW, if you do go that route, save yourself some money and only get the base unit. I made all my own risers and footplates custom out of conduit. I do electrical work on the side, so already had the materials and bender(s). The top plate and bilateral foot plates were made custom from 3/4" finished maple plywood. It "looked" good but I if I were to really use a long bike, I would get one that is frame inclusive and not bolted on. It will be more stable without the flex.
Never had a similar problem, especially after switching out the suspension fork. And this was with a 700c hybrid, which is likely to be even more flexy than an average FreeRadical build. Everything always felt tight and stable within reason, and I've hauled two kids + cargo over distance on crowded roads. I get a bit of creak when standing on the pedals and going uphill.

A recent build up of a 26" bike with a spare xtracycle I had around is even tighter.
Old 02-12-18, 10:19 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SimplySycles1
Hello all, I am looking to experiment with a long bike in some form. We have several bikes and frames that would seem appropriate for kid/grocery hauling.

Looking to find a used Xtracycle, missing parts, rusted bolts, no bags are fine (even better if cheap)

Thanks all
Ruben in LA
Our Extra Xtracycle is f/s here in Connecticut.