Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Sole of my left foot...

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Sole of my left foot...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 03:59 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Sole of my left foot...

During the Winter months I have been on a turbo trainer and using Zwift.

Recently I have begun to feel the sole of my left foot get very painful, just at the ball of my foot, where it sits on the pedal. It usually occurs about 30 minutes into my training. After about an hour I can no longer bear the pain and have to come off.

Anyone have any ideas how to combat this?
Old 02-14-18, 04:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Hot foot.

Same thing as what women who wear high heels experience.

It's a metatarsal thing.

Start by putting your cleats all the way back.
Old 02-14-18, 09:06 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Hot foot.

Same thing as what women who wear high heels experience.

It's a metatarsal thing.

Start by putting your cleats all the way back.

Lol....was going to question how you would know about the high heels....then I saw your profile pic

Thanks, I will give that a try. I have no issues with my right foot at all.

Cheers
Old 02-15-18, 08:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try some supportive cushion inserts. Dr. Scholl's off the rack inserts work fine for me. I've had customized orthotics before but the Dr. Scholl's stuff works just as well.

My feet are very narrow, between an A and B width, so it's very rare for any readily available footwear to fit me perfectly. And I have high arches, am prone to painful spasms in the foot, so I've worn various shoe inserts for many years.

Two or three weeks ago I got my first clipless shoes, Scott Road Pro, on sale at Jenson USA, to go with Look pedals and the older style delta cleats. The shoes included a modest full length cushion with customizable supports that can be removed if desired. The Scott shoes immediately resolved the painful arch spasms I'd been experiencing after about 20-30 miles with my Merrell casual cycling/walking shoes and platform pedals.

The stiffer sole of the Scott shoes really helped spread the load more evenly. And I had to move the cleats as far back as possible, and I'd like to set them another 1/4" back but they won't go any farther. My toes are unusually long and I prefer the pedal axle/spindle behind the ball of the foot, not quite under the arch, but about halfway between the two points.

I might eventually try a slightly thicker Dr. Scholl's gel insert with just a bit more arch support. But the insert included with the Scott shoe has been fine so far.

Huge difference. I no longer even think about my feet. Now I think about my quads and hamstrings spasming after about 40 miles, which happened during Wednesday's metric century! Fortunately I just needed to quit climbing out of the saddle for hills and just sit and spin in an easier gear. As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "It's always something. If it ain't one thing, it's another."