Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Old 11-30-19, 07:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
It's looking like, for the third year in a row, we might have a holiday season pet casualty.

Jack, our oldest cat and the first pet that my wife and I got together, took a very sudden and unexpected turn. He was his displaying typical, occasional pickiness with food until he just stopped eating altogether a few days ago. About a month ago, we'd noticed that he'd gotten a little leaner his coat was a little more scraggly, but we chalked that up to his advancing age (~17). When he stopped showing up at meal time, we noticed a more dramatic drop in weight (he's never been much of a lap cat and only accepted affection on the occasions when he sought it out), Looking back, we think that he'd been eating less and less but that was masked by his chubby little sister, who'd been cleaning up his bowls after him. We took him to the vet the day before Thanksgiving and he's been on antibiotics and steroids since, but he hasn't turned a corner yet, and it's looking less likely that he will.

We're obviously upset about the prospect of losing him, but there's the kids, as well. The girl is still too young to wrap her head around it, but this is tough sledding for the boy. Lucy two years ago, Ivy last year and now Jack is ailing. Years ago, when the boy was a toddler and the animals were all in good health, I remember voicing this concern to my wife, that all of the animals were within two years of age with each other, and that they go quickly when they started to go. It's not something that I like being right about.
Old 11-30-19, 07:19 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8809 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,715 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Am I ready to LCF?

My brother wants me to sell him my ancient Honda Element and I am much conflicted. One one hand, I am putting < 5K/yr on it, the several hundred/yr we pay for insurance, maintenance, and registration would almost certainly cover alternative transportation, and I have my wife's car for the very rare off-hours work emergency. On the other hand, Ad hoc cabs take forever to show up, Uber can't come within half a mile of my workplace, and it sure is convenient to have a jalopy to go to places in when the wife is out.
None of my business but you asked. The minimal cost of ownership far outweighs the PIA of being short a car when you need it. Don't know about your brother's situation but if he needs some cheap transportation maybe help financially in some other way. You seem to be a man of means. Plus, you might need an organ donor some day.
#InternetAdviceIsAlwaysTheBest
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 11-30-19, 07:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
None of my business but you asked. The minimal cost of ownership far outweighs the PIA of being short a car when you need it. Don't know about your brother's situation but if he needs some cheap transportation maybe help financially in some other way. You seem to be a man of means. Plus, you might need an organ donor some day.
#InternetAdviceIsAlwaysTheBest
Of course it’s your business! He wants the vehicle to replace the open-bed pickup he currently has for his business. You make some good points on the “keep it” side.
Old 11-30-19, 07:29 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's looking like, for the third year in a row, we might have a holiday season pet casualty.

Jack, our oldest cat and the first pet that my wife and I got together, took a very sudden and unexpected turn. He was his displaying typical, occasional pickiness with food until he just stopped eating altogether a few days ago. About a month ago, we'd noticed that he'd gotten a little leaner his coat was a little more scraggly, but we chalked that up to his advancing age (~17). When he stopped showing up at meal time, we noticed a more dramatic drop in weight (he's never been much of a lap cat and only accepted affection on the occasions when he sought it out), Looking back, we think that he'd been eating less and less but that was masked by his chubby little sister, who'd been cleaning up his bowls after him. We took him to the vet the day before Thanksgiving and he's been on antibiotics and steroids since, but he hasn't turned a corner yet, and it's looking less likely that he will.

We're obviously upset about the prospect of losing him, but there's the kids, as well. The girl is still too young to wrap her head around it, but this is tough sledding for the boy. Lucy two years ago, Ivy last year and now Jack is ailing. Years ago, when the boy was a toddler and the animals were all in good health, I remember voicing this concern to my wife, that all of the animals were within two years of age with each other, and that they go quickly when they started to go. It's not something that I like being right about.
Ugh, sorry to hear this. Not only your cat but dealing with the kids reaction. Now is the time you earn your parenting stripes so to speak. My wish for you is have wisdom to make things play out with a good balance in a healthy emotional way.
Old 11-30-19, 07:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts

I hope he turns around.
Old 11-30-19, 07:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Metoprolol is great for flutter but man it will make you performance on the bike suck.
It started working in less than 1 hr. Also have "marked inferior repolarization disturbance" and "large negative T in a VF with negative T in II and III" (which, I believe, refers to two lines on the readout). Don't think I will be riding in the foreseeable future.
Old 11-30-19, 07:45 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It started working in less than 1 hr. Also have "marked inferior repolarization disturbance" and "large negative T in a VF with negative T in II and III" (which, I believe, refers to two lines on the readout). Don't think I will be riding in the foreseeable future.
Good luck with your recovery. Do you think you will be back riding by spring? Don't you have a big tour planned for next year?
Old 11-30-19, 07:46 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Somebody please post good news. I am getting bummed out.
Old 11-30-19, 07:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

If you want to send me a picture of your EKG I can give you a better answer but in any case see what cards says. Flutter is not a life threatening heart problem, but it can be an annoyance. Let me know if you want an opinion.
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
@datlas, safe travels. @WhyFi, I hope he turns around.
@everyoneElse, a nice pleasant Saturday. Increasing workload, kids’ changing weekend schedule has me confined in the garage for some time. Zwift makes indoor rides bearable, warts and all. I’m not at a point a structured workout would benefit more, so I’m just riding along whatever the first route pops up.
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

We had a great time in Spain!
Old 11-30-19, 07:50 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

We had a great time in Spain!
kudos. Did the rain fall mainly on the plain?
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 11-30-19, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Good luck with your recovery. Do you think you will be back riding by spring? Don't you have a big tour planned for next year?
This is all new. It started acting up on Monday and got worse during the week. I just happened to have a clotting level check scheduled for yesterday. Told my nurse what was going on and she got me to see someone in 20 min. He consulted with a cardiologist in another location. Also funny is that my cardio appointment on Monday pre-dated this incident. I am supposed to have an echo every year but haven't been keeping up with that.
Old 11-30-19, 07:55 AM
indyfabz

If you want to send me a picture of your EKG I can give you a better answer but in any case see what cards says. Flutter is not a life threatening heart problem, but it can be an annoyance. Let me know if you want an opinion.
I can scan it, but you'll have to PM me an email address as you cannot send attachments with PMs. My biggest concern is that an irregular heart beat is the first symptom I had leading to the valve replacement. I have had this thing since 1990. That's a while. I will surely have an echo on Monday.
Old 11-30-19, 08:03 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Two of our four Thanksgiving desserts. Just a fond farewell to everyone's favorite glutfest. That lemon cake is so good, it is hard to believe.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 11-30-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 08:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Aargh! So sorry to hear it. But your thoughtful approach is likely to pull the family through it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-30-19, 08:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

kudos. Did the rain fall mainly on the plain?
Prolly. We saw zero rain while we were there.
Old 11-30-19, 08:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker

Two of our four Thanksgiving desserts. Just a fond farewell to everyone's favorite glutfest. That lemon cake is so good, it is hard to believe.
I’ll take a big slice of the first one!
Old 11-30-19, 09:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
I'm having panettone and coffee for breakfast!
Old 11-30-19, 09:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Gatwick has a large waiting area that is similar to a medium size shopping mall. There are several restaurants on the second floor and the quality/prices are not bad considering we are in London and the places have a captive audience. There are also tons of stores here for those who are inclined to shop. No bike shops, though. We are boarding our plane in less than an hour.
Old 11-30-19, 09:54 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Gatwick has a large waiting area that is similar to a medium size shopping mall. There are several restaurants on the second floor and the quality/prices are not bad considering we are in London and the places have a captive audience. There are also tons of stores here for those who are inclined to shop. No bike shops, though. We are boarding our plane in less than an hour.
Most large airports these days make layovers almost fun, unless it's the middle of the night.
Old 11-30-19, 11:03 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts

Old 11-30-19, 11:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Of course it’s your business! He wants the vehicle to replace the open-bed pickup he currently has for his business. You make some good points on the “keep it” side.
I'm a "keep it" guy too.
Old 11-30-19, 11:08 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Old 11-30-19, 11:11 AM
BillyD
Administrator

I made an extra pot of coffee this morning, something I literally never do. Trying to reduce the pile on my desk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.