Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to remove old rusty Suntour powerflo freewheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 12:46 PM
chrisjames99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone help identify what tool I need to remove the freewheel/cassette? Thanks!
Old 07-11-20, 01:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sun tour has used several different freewheel removal tools over the years,
I'd take the wheel to a Bike shop they would have an assortment of those tools
have them remove the freewheel for a small fee..

then buy a new freewheel & a tool to remove it..
Old 07-11-20, 01:06 PM
chrisjames99

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm trying to avoid a trip to bike shop. I would post a picture but I'm currently unable to.
Old 07-11-20, 01:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You need the correct tool, trying to do the job without it is likely to result in sweat, tears and possibly blood. You can destructively remove it but that is no picnic either.
Old 07-11-20, 01:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...if it is old, and rusted, there's a good chance that simply buying the tool will not be enough to remove it. A lot of those guys are on there pretty tight. I just got finished removing a few off old tubular wheelsets, and without the proper penetrating oil and a MAPP gas brazing torch, they were not coming off. What usually happens with a two pronged Duntour freewheel and remover is that it jumps out of the notches, and bungs up botht the notches and the tool to the point where you end up doing a destructive removal.

It's one of those things that is simple in concept, but is often difficult in practice.
Old 07-11-20, 02:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
First, as noted above, forget the idea that you can get the freewheel off without using the proper removal tool. (Maybe you already know that; your first post is unclear on that point.)

Look at the freewheel to confirm whether you need a two-prong or four-prong tool. Once you're sure what tool you need, order one from Amazon or Jenson USA or the equivalent.

Once you've fitted the tool into the freewheel slots, clamp the tool firmly to the freewheel. If it's a quick-release hub, use the quick-release skewer to hold the tool in place, using at least as much force as you normally use to secure the wheel in the dropouts; if it's a bolt-on wheel, ditto, but with the axle nut. (I've seen mechanics who don't secure the tool to the freewheel and who just hope they can get the freewheel off. They tend to ruin a lot of tools and freewheels until they see the error of their ways, if they ever do.)

Finally, and most important: whether you use a big adjustable wrench or a vice to grab the freewheel tool, once you feel the freewheel breaking free of the hub threads, stop. (If you keep applying force to the tool at that point, you risk damaging the bearings or bearing surfaces in the hub.) Loosen the skewer or axle nut a half-turn, then unscrew the freewheel a half-turn, and so on.

By the time the freewheel has unscrewed one full turn, you'll probably be able to take the skewer out or remove the axle nut to complete the freewheel removal job without fear of damaging any of the parts.

Last edited by Trakhak; 07-11-20 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 02:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
The Sun Tour FW's I've ran into require either a 2 or 4 prong tool.
Park Tools Fr-2 or Fr-3
Old 07-11-20, 03:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
First you have to decide if it's a cassette or freewheel. Powerflo could be either. Powerflo is a designation of the tooth profile.

Freewheel is likely a 4 prong tool firmly bolted in to not slip. Cassette is 2 chain whips to unscrew the small cog.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...lp-needed.html

VeloBase.com - Component: SunTour CS-AP10-K7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-Fre...-/273846009578
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-12-20, 05:40 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisjames99
Can anyone help identify what tool I need to remove the freewheel/cassette? Thanks!
My research indicates that the Suntour Powerflow was an accushift cassette. If so, it was an early cassette and does not require any special remover. What it does require is 2 chain whips. The small cog(s) screw in and the others are push on. It requires a bit more effort to remove the small cog than a modern cassette lockring. It's similar to removing the cogs from an old freewheel.

Post a picture of the freewheel/cassette so somebody here can identify it for sure.
Old 07-12-20, 07:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
My research indicates that the Suntour Powerflow was an accushift cassette. If so, it was an early cassette and does not require any special remover. What it does require is 2 chain whips. The small cog(s) screw in and the others are push on. It requires a bit more effort to remove the small cog than a modern cassette lockring. It's similar to removing the cogs from an old freewheel.

Post a picture of the freewheel/cassette so somebody here can identify it for sure.
Or it's a freewheel. OP hasn't provided enough information at this point.

Old 07-12-20, 07:41 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Or it's a freewheel. OP hasn't provided enough information at this point.

My mistake. I should have done more research. I found these pictures of Powerflow freewheels and cassettes.

Freewheel requires 4-prong freewheel remover

Cassette