Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I almost got myself killed today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 02:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

It was all my fault. I can't blame this one on anything other than just poor judgement on my part. It's hard to describe and visualize but it happened in an intersection where traffic was rerouted for construction. It was a very confusing traffic pattern but basically I pulled into the intersection with a car coming off the interstate from my right traveling at a high rate of speed. I was only going to go part way into the intersection but suddenly I realized I was right in the middle of the path of the vehicle coming from my right. I made a quick and hard turn back to the left just as the car came whizzing by with their horn blaring. That was way too close........

Added later: After thinking about what I happened through the day I recall thinking that there would not be any traffic coming from the right (interstate) but obviously I was very wrong. At one point they had changed the traffic so only traffic going through the intersection would be coming from my left. I do recall looking both ways but there were lots of construction barrels and concrete barriers to the right and visibility was not as good as it could have been. They are doing a lot of work in the area on the interstate and they continue to change that intersection and the flow of traffic through it. I was cautious going into it the intersection but just not cautious enough-plus cars were coming through there doing at least 55 mph. I was also in too hard a gear to make as quick an acceleration to safety as I would normally like. The bad part was when I turned back to the left I was lucky there weren't any cars coming towards me from the left......

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a pretty nasty vehicle accident or two in that intersection. There are cars entering from a lot of different roads at different angles. I can't imagine what it's like to cross through there after dark.

Last edited by jppe; 09-02-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-02-12, 02:15 PM
CrazyJoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I find myself at a confusing point I usaully dismount and try figure out what my best move would be. Walking might be a better alternative than riding.
Old 09-02-12, 02:35 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyJoe
When I find myself at a confusing point I usaully dismount and try figure out what my best move would be. Walking might be a better alternative than riding.
That's an excellent idea... construction zones can confuse the most skilled and attentive drivers/riders.
Old 09-02-12, 02:38 PM
RobCG
Old Face, New Name

Bikes: 2004 Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy Jeeez that's scary! I've done similar, commited to a left-hand turn before a sharpish bend in the road without adequately reconnoitering the traffic hidden from immediate view. I could feel the draft of the car as it barely avoided my rear wheel (and wonder of wonders, the motorist was able to brake and steer with nary a squeal or shouted epithet). I have to admit that one was all me. Much as we cluck in dismay over the foibles of others, none of us are immune.
Old 09-02-12, 02:42 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad your close call didn't result in any injury.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-02-12, 03:06 PM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I hate when that happens.
Old 09-02-12, 03:31 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I also have a few close calls every year. I take them as a wake-up call and slow down at cross roads.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-02-12, 03:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Dang! Glad you only suffered mental anguish.
Old 09-02-12, 05:32 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes luck is on YOUR side.

But it sounds like you just used up one of your nine...

I'm tempted to say that "Next time you'll know better" -- but this doesn't sound like carelessness or recklessness. It could have happened to any of us. We're just glad you're around to share the story with us.

Now, about those pants...
Old 09-02-12, 07:39 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I made a quick and hard turn back to the left just as the car came whizzing by with their horn blaring. That was way too close........
Were you able to launder your shorts at the end of the ride, or did you have to burn them?

Glad you lived to fight another day!
Old 09-02-12, 09:42 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly
Glad your close call didn't result in any injury.
+1
Old 09-02-12, 09:54 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well, that's an odd one in my book. I have several potentially fatal encounters with motor vehicles per week, but in all cases the motorist is at fault and I see the situation develop and take appropriate action to avoid the collision. Oftentimes, the motorist doesn't even know that his/her scofflaw driving habits would have killed a less attentive person.

Today I had a woman so intent on the dog in her passenger seat that she couldn't be bothered to even slow down, let alone stop, at the intersection with the four-way stop signs that I was crossing (after stopping, of course). I saw it coming and stayed out of her deadly line of fire, but I did remind her what the word stop means when it is on a red octagonal sign. Later, on my way home, another woman decided she was visiting Australia while making a left turn. I would have been in her path if I hadn't anticipated her poor driving. Ride like your life depends on your attentiveness and actions, because it does.

When my son was five years old, he had a preschool teacher who was simply amazing. She consistently saw problems in their nascent stages and took subtle, gentle actions to head them off before they were noticeable by the rest of us. I try to ride my bike like she dealt with those children: Pay attention, assess potential threats, anticipate other's actions and avoid trouble.
Old 09-03-12, 06:14 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Keep safe, jppe - I am very glad you are still with us.
Old 09-03-12, 08:58 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you are ok. I have decided that there are too many drunk a hole drivers on the roads this holiday weekend to ride safely. Sunday I came as close to being killed as I will ever without getting hit.

Drunk guy driving a pickup towing a ski boat comes up behind me and just lays on the horn. I had absolutely no where to go as there was a guard rail on the side and I was out of pavement. The moron driver proceeds to turn the truck and boat into his driveway while I am squeezed between the boat and the rail. I was down to my last inch when he pulled the boat in. The guy could not wait 20 seconds until I rode ahead? I turned around to get the plate number and the guy essentially fell out of the truck drunker than a skunk yelling every 4 letter word he could think of. He most likely went inside and beat up his wife.

I do know where the moron lives and there will be payback at some point. I have already contacted the State Police as the township does not have a force. They said they would be on the lookout for the guy but I have little hope of any action.
Old 09-03-12, 09:08 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Being in the wrong gear from my experience can exacerbate any risky situation. I always try to get it right before I pull up, but I'm certainly not chastising the OP as things can change quickly on any given location. Unfortunately they have signs out to warn of repairs along my usual MUP on my work commute in the coming months. They will probably have a stop-go person though as in the past.
Old 09-04-12, 08:24 AM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes fate just steps in. The worst crash I ever had occurred when I was riding slowly on a quiet off-road bike path. It was a mechanical problem.
Old 09-04-12, 09:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Thank goodness you recognized the situation and reacted in time!

Sometimes circumstances pile up against you, with no way to see it coming. For me there was always something I could have or should have done, and surviving I'm better for it ... hopefully there's something there you can build from to balance out the close call.
Old 09-12-12, 10:15 PM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was in a construction zone. Light was red and I pulled up to the white line they always paint. Except the were widening the other road, and I was fully in the middle of the new lane. Car stopped. Whew., When I am riding hard, I go into kind of a trance state, and things out of the ordinary may not register.

Rod
Old 09-12-12, 10:25 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been in a similar situation. Glad you're ok! I hope you weren't so drawn up they had to pry you from the saddle!
Old 09-12-12, 10:36 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks for posting. Its always good to relive situations that can result in injury.

Glad you are doing well today!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 09-14-12, 01:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
sounds like a kill zone worth avoiding