Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
15.87%
Car free less than 1 year
9.13%
Car light less than 5 years
12.92%
Car free less than 5 years
11.25%
Car light more than 5 years
9.04%
Car free more than 5 years
21.49%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
17.80%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
2.49%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 11:25 AM
DiamondDave247

Bikes: 2011 GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwoodroaster
Hi Everyone...I look forward to being part of the discussion. Thanks to everyone who have given us so much info already!
Welcome to the car-free/car-lite lifestyle and welcome to the forum! You may find, as I have, that many of us here share many of the same daily experiences and challenges. I liked your words:

...Everything has been much more of an adventure to be enjoyed together...
I share the same attitude! When I face a new "adventure", I simply ask myself, what would my ancestors have done about 100 years ago, before motorized vehicles were so common? Okay then, let's do this! It often turns out the task was not quite as difficult as I had imagined it would be.

You will find the bike forum to be a very valuable resource in many different areas. Good luck and ride safe!
Old 08-30-14, 12:37 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hi Everyone, my family and I just recently went car free in St. Louis, Missouri. My wife and I both work from home and the kids school's are close, so it made it easy to take the leap when the transmission in our car died. One thing I have noticed during the first month, even after looking for a potential replacement car, we just have not felt the urge to buy one. Where we are located in St. Louis is a semi suburban area, but within 5 miles from everything we need or want, including car rentals and public transportation. We live what I would call a fairly luxurious minimal lifestyle, so really any of the so-called issues of not owning a car have been just First World Problems. What has been funny, is that I have commuted via bike at various times in my life, sometimes as much as 30 miles round trip, yet never really thought I could go car free. Now that we are, it has been very good for our family. Everything has been much more of an adventure to be enjoyed together.

Anyway, I look forward to being part of the discussion. Thanks to everyone who have given us so much info already!
Welcome to LCF!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-31-14, 12:03 PM
scroungetech

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been reading the CFL sub-forum for a few months now, and have recently moved to a much more car-lite existence. My girlfriend and I moved in together about 2 months ago. She has not owned a car for about 18 months, and was biking or walking to work before we got together. Now, she uses my car 6 days a week while I cycle to work & home M-F. This is working for us because I feel physically & mentally better with each consecutive day that I ride, while she just feels more run down if she has to ride/walk, mostly because of joint pain and working in a fast paced food service job. My commute is about 4 miles each way, daylight both ways this time of year, to a mechanical trade job where it doesn't matter if I'm dirty/sweaty. I also work with few guys who love cycling, one who goes on the local club rides and another who toured cross country, so I have more in common with some coworkers now. I've been loving this recent change. I get my daily serving of alone time on the bike each day, get some exercise, and feel more connected to the natural world around me because I'm out in the elements rain or shine, feeling the surface of the road and the weather with my whole self. Thanks to the many contributers here in LCF who have helped get me psyched up to see this as 100% adventure! ~scroungetech
Old 09-01-14, 01:50 AM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ashamed to say that i went from car-free to car lite again. The weather was killing me! rain, rain, hard wind and more rain. Arriving at the office soaking wet every day is not my idea of a good start of the day So i bought a small and cheap car that i now use when its raining really hard. I dont think i really like the idea of owning a car again but getting wet daily isnt fun either. Especially when i have to ride my bike or scooter 2 hours a day .
Old 09-05-14, 11:31 AM
kmac11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I've been car free for about 3 years now. (That's of my normal adult life, I also didn't have a car in college but that was very common for my campus.) I live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
I work 2 jobs--one is about a 1.5 mile bus ride/walk from my house. The other is in the next town over but there's an express bus between the two that's easy to use.
I mostly get around by bus, or take lyft/uber in the occasions that I need to carry heavy groceries or something. I've been thinking of getting a bike, but there aren't good bike lanes here and I fear for my safety.

I'm from New York and never got my driver's license. It took me a while to get around to obtaining the license, and I kept saying I would get a car as soon as I had it. But then I thought...you know what, I've been doing this for a year already and it's saved me a lot of money, and I've learned how to survive without a car. So I decided to stay carfree!

The hardest part about it isn't even the logistics of getting around. It's the fact that I seem to be the only carfree person in the city. Seriously, until recently I didn't know anyone else without a car. It would be possible for a lot more people to do it but it hasn't caught on. Everyone thinks it's SUPER weird that I don't have a car. That's why I went looking for a forum, hoping I could get a bit of confirmation that I'm not insane, haha.
Old 09-07-14, 09:37 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by kmac11
Hi everyone. I've been car free for about 3 years now. (That's of my normal adult life, I also didn't have a car in college but that was very common for my campus.) I live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
I work 2 jobs--one is about a 1.5 mile bus ride/walk from my house. The other is in the next town over but there's an express bus between the two that's easy to use.
I mostly get around by bus, or take lyft/uber in the occasions that I need to carry heavy groceries or something. I've been thinking of getting a bike, but there aren't good bike lanes here and I fear for my safety.

I'm from New York and never got my driver's license. It took me a while to get around to obtaining the license, and I kept saying I would get a car as soon as I had it. But then I thought...you know what, I've been doing this for a year already and it's saved me a lot of money, and I've learned how to survive without a car. So I decided to stay carfree!

The hardest part about it isn't even the logistics of getting around. It's the fact that I seem to be the only carfree person in the city. Seriously, until recently I didn't know anyone else without a car. It would be possible for a lot more people to do it but it hasn't caught on. Everyone thinks it's SUPER weird that I don't have a car. That's why I went looking for a forum, hoping I could get a bit of confirmation that I'm not insane, haha.
Welcome to the forum! I bet we can talk you into trying a bike. They really aren't more dangerous than walking, and about three to four times faster, even at an easy pace. The start-up cost for bicycling can be surprisingly low.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-26-14, 12:10 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I was always car free until I got married (over 20 years ago). After that my wife and I shared a car. But in the last ten years I started lobbying for our present car to be our last car; and though I never won this argument my wife gradually began to think of the car as hers, rather than ours. In the last five years, the car has been replaced twice; but it is now in her name alone. We pool our expenses, including the car, but in general I drive it only for family purposes.

When the situation calls for a second car, I rent one. Maybe twice a year.
Old 09-29-14, 11:58 AM
learnincurve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings all. I'm car free and have been since I left my parent's house nearly 20 years ago. I'm afraid there isn't any deeper meaning behind this than I've always lived in cities/towns with decent buses and in a country with a phenomenal, if somewhat tardy, rail network so never saw the point - doubly so now that the internet has made it easier to get everything I need, and many things I don't but want anyway delivered to my front door. It annoys my mother and my children but they have legs so they can walk a mile to the shops without it killin' 'em.
Old 09-30-14, 05:13 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by learnincurve
Greetings all. I'm car free and have been since I left my parent's house nearly 20 years ago. I'm afraid there isn't any deeper meaning behind this than I've always lived in cities/towns with decent buses and in a country with a phenomenal, if somewhat tardy, rail network so never saw the point - doubly so now that the internet has made it easier to get everything I need, and many things I don't but want anyway delivered to my front door. It annoys my mother and my children but they have legs so they can walk a mile to the shops without it killin' 'em.
Welcome to the forum. Are you a cyclist or mainly a transit carfree person? Great to hear from people who have been carfree a long time!
Old 10-24-14, 04:04 PM
InGrained

Bikes: Hybrid Nishiki. Nothing spectacular.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never owned a car or a drivers license. But a little while ago I had to move out get a job and be self reliant. So I went out and bought a bike. Despite everyone being like "Well I support your decision" while thinking "Everyone is supposed to get a car. It's what adults do". And all I ever see is cars sucking up my friends money. Making payments on it, insurance, and something always breaking on it and requiring fixing. And don't forget gas. With the money I make I couldn't afford it. When people start to realize all the money I save they take it more seriously and not as a joke.
Old 10-25-14, 12:22 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by InGrained
Never owned a car or a drivers license. But a little while ago I had to move out get a job and be self reliant. So I went out and bought a bike. Despite everyone being like "Well I support your decision" while thinking "Everyone is supposed to get a car. It's what adults do". And all I ever see is cars sucking up my friends money. Making payments on it, insurance, and something always breaking on it and requiring fixing. And don't forget gas. With the money I make I couldn't afford it. When people start to realize all the money I save they take it more seriously and not as a joke.
Welcome to the forum! I also enjoyed your posts on the Simple Living thread.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-28-14, 01:44 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by InGrained
When I was in high school, way back when , my grandfather, who raised me, said he wouldn't let me get my drivers license if I didn't shape up. When I said I didn't really want a license, me told me it was time to grow up, and made me get the license.
Old 02-15-15, 03:23 PM
Ten Mile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been car-free for about two years now. The longer I use my bike as my only source of transportation, the less I feel the need to buy a car. Every year there are a few days where the roads are too icy to ride, so until I get around to buying a second bike with studded tires, I carpool with my wife. I love riding, but after doing the Lose The CarLose The Car thing and really getting smart about my clothing and layers, I don't see myself ever getting another car. It helps that my job has a pretty relaxed dress code, but now that I've got a foolproof system down for staying dry and warm without sweating in the winter, and staying cool and dry in the summer, not owning a car has never been a problem.
Old 02-20-15, 07:55 PM
foxracing24

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got in to cycling cause the cops ironicly a cop on a byicle pulled me over and gave me a distracted driving tickets (I was texting) and it was my second time he impounded my 2014 Silverado for 60days witch ended up being 80 cause it was new cop and was suppose to be 60 but he wrote down 80days. So I bought a 21spd CCM mountain bike and I'm 23 and play hockey so I'm already fit so that wasn't a problem. I finally got my truck back and bin driving it since its winter but come summer I'll ve getting sweaty ridding my bike. I want to buy some cycling gear I want the shorts and shirt I herd fox racing makes cycling gear I'm just wonder what size I would need im 5.5 and 155 pounds I want the compersion gear.
Old 02-21-15, 02:07 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by foxracing24
I got in to cycling cause the cops ironicly a cop on a byicle pulled me over and gave me a distracted driving tickets (I was texting) and it was my second time he impounded my 2014 Silverado for 60days witch ended up being 80 cause it was new cop and was suppose to be 60 but he wrote down 80days. So I bought a 21spd CCM mountain bike and I'm 23 and play hockey so I'm already fit so that wasn't a problem. I finally got my truck back and bin driving it since its winter but come summer I'll ve getting sweaty ridding my bike. I want to buy some cycling gear I want the shorts and shirt I herd fox racing makes cycling gear I'm just wonder what size I would need im 5.5 and 155 pounds I want the compersion gear.
Welcome! I'm sorry about your legal problems, but I hope you continue riding even after you get your truck back. A bike shop or even website should be able to help you find the right sizes for your kit.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-24-15, 07:29 AM
mb5055
mb5055

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been car free for 20 years. I'm Used to drive 50,000 is a year. It change your life completely, since at first you seem to stress to realize that it was the car that was the killer stress. Two key are necessary. First don't live at the edge of your budget. Second, make sure when you wake up that you have time to spear on that day. The rest is just good habits.
Old 05-20-15, 05:14 PM
SkvLTD

Bikes: 1993 Raleigh SP 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting to 5 years soon, and been skating and blading + metro/busses (to go cross-states). Bike is definitely an insanely nice addition of speed and safety/possibility to go up and down the hills (uphill sucks on a board or blades, downhill MUCH moreso on blades since T-braking gets sketchy if you build enough speed or hill is that long) with a few grand worth of photo equipment on my back. And if there's a rain sprinkle...... bike can handle it fine
Old 05-24-15, 12:10 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To those of luck this applies to: anyone to be hired for a job not be required to have a car.
There be areas in the U.S. --- where businesses won't hire unless an applicant has a car.
I speak of applicants for jobs that have nothing to do with delivery.
In areas where there be public transit.

Last edited by molten; 05-24-15 at 12:16 PM. Reason: quotation
Old 05-24-15, 01:05 PM
Greybeard712
Author Guy

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix Pro, 2011 Roubaix Expert, 2006 Tarmac S-Works

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foxracing24
... I want to buy some cycling gear I want the shorts and shirt...
I've found everything I need on ebay, the same stuff in bike or sports shops for a lot less $$. Just be aware that most of them list Asian Sizes and have conversion charts to US sizes.
Old 05-24-15, 01:35 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In southern California, no one with wanting or already having a job could survive in the method of highly depending on: (a) only a bike (b) bike + public transportation.
Old 06-21-15, 01:51 AM
foxracing24

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live car free I own a pickup and a bicycle so I punish myself by buying carbon credits. IV put 40 000km on my truck since I bought it new and have bought 60 000km worth of carbon offsets for it and still buy carbon offsets for it I'm on a monthly deal were I'm billed a certen amount a month and I also have a app that keeps track of my milage so I can buy carbon credits. I like to drive trucks so I just buying carbon credits is a good punishment for me.
Old 06-21-15, 11:25 AM
Greybeard712
Author Guy

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix Pro, 2011 Roubaix Expert, 2006 Tarmac S-Works

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm retired so I don't have to drive to work every day. However, it's almost impossible to live in the west (especially California) without the use of motorized transportation. Too much distance to cover. I bike everyday but trips to the grocery store would be impossible w/o my SUV.

I bought it (used) the summer of 2013 and have put only 4,000 miles on it in two years. When necessary I use it to transport the to and from the dedicated bike path. Too much traffic to get there during the week by riding from home. Very low to the ground, not as visible as a taller bicycle, even with the bright orange flag and blinking lights. Cars and pick-em-up trucks are whizzing by at 50mph. I do ride the bikes from home but it's scary.

2015: 2234 Miles ♂ Monthly Avgs: Day 17 - Wk 118
2013–2015: 6908 Miles–Total Avgs: Day 15.7 - Wk 110
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vor9 00.1.jpg (110.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 07-05-15, 05:32 PM
Van Goghs Ear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Car free since 1998 (though only started riding and cycle commuting 3 years ago), and 2 years ago was my first time winter riding, doing as low as -34 degrees celcius (without wind chill) as my lowest temperature ride. BRRRrrr...

No driver's licence either. I use the money I save to buy more bikes
Old 07-06-15, 06:50 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Van Goghs Ear
Hello,

Car free since 1998 (though only started riding and cycle commuting 3 years ago), and 2 years ago was my first time winter riding, doing as low as -34 degrees celcius (without wind chill) as my lowest temperature ride. BRRRrrr...

No driver's licence either. I use the money I save to buy more bikes
Very inspirational...Welcome to LCF!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-08-15, 04:55 AM
sisilisko2202

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse sora 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mm I 37 years old, never had a car, never been interested in driving! Yes I know people say is sad, and how do you get around, my first answer is I have feet, bike, and if the worse comes to the worse public transport, nothing better then putting the bike on a train, and when you get off your ready to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.