Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

HRM for someone with Right Bundle Branch Block

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 12:49 PM
NeilMyers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just joined and did search, but didn't find an answer (sorry if I missed it). I have been trying to find a HRM that works for me for 3 years. I have tried Polar, Garmin and even a specialty monitor from Nonin (I have used their pulse oximeters while flying and found them quite reliable).

None work. They are fine while I sit at my desk, but as soon as I get going they become erratic. I have tried wetting them, using EKG gel (Bah Bump), tightening them, turning them around, changing the clothing I wear -- nothing helps.

I just ran across a thread (on this site, in fact) that mentioned the having a bundle branch block confuses the heart rate monitors. Hence my question:

Has anyone who has a bundle branch block use a HRM that works for them?

FYI, my RBBB is genetic and I have been fully checked and doc says no problem -- just different.

Thanks in advance.

And ... for those who don't know what a BBB is, here is a definition from Wikipedia ...

A right bundle branch block (RBBB) is a defect in the heart's electrical conduction system.

During a right bundle branch block, the right ventricle is not directly activated by impulses travelling through the right bundle branch. The left ventricle however, is still normally activated by the left bundle branch. These impulses are then able to travel through the myocardium of the left ventricle to the right ventricle and depolarise the right ventricle this way. As conduction through the myocardium is slower than conduction through the Bundle of His-Purkinje fibres, the QRS complex is seen to be widened. The QRS complex often shows an extra deflection which reflects the rapid depolarisation of the left ventricle followed by the slower depolarisation of the right ventricle.
Old 10-25-13, 02:09 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
No RBBB here, but here's a link to a HRM that uses optical sensing of blood flow in the wrist.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/i...ts-adidas.html

Here's another: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/m...-smartant.html
Old 10-25-13, 03:20 PM
NeilMyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
No RBBB here, but here's a link to a HRM that uses optical sensing of blood flow in the wrist.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/i...ts-adidas.html

Here's another: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/m...-smartant.html
Thanks! The Nonin also uses optical technology, but it has a finger-cup that jostles too much to be accurate during rides. The Adidas looks perfect, except for the fact that you cannot get the data into your fitness apps (Strava, etc.). The Alpha doesn't support Ant+. I'll probably try the Adidas to have something to start with and hope Garmin or someone else designs an Ant+ unit.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-08-24, 08:26 AM
Mikeman91

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow up on this

I have the same problem RBB and my wrist monitors are really bad doing measurements because sometimes shows low heart beat . Does anyone found how to solve it in 2023-2024 thank hiu
Old 01-08-24, 02:11 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
ask your cardiologist
Old 01-08-24, 04:14 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Mikeman91 ,
Seeing as it has been 11 years since this question was originally asked, technology has moved along.
Does your doctor allow you to utilize anything other than an Optical wrist HRM ?

Barry
Old 01-12-24, 12:43 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Frontier X

I use the Frontier X HRM quite often. It actually records your ECG. Chest lead V5, I believe. You should look into that. I was a paramedic in an early life, so can read the tracing. It also syncs with my Garmin 1030P. It ain’t cheap, though.
Likes For CaptMike:
Old 01-14-24, 09:37 PM
NeilMyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikeman91
I have the same problem RBB and my wrist monitors are really bad doing measurements because sometimes shows low heart beat . Does anyone found how to solve it in 2023-2024 thank hiu
I switched to a Garmin wrist HR monitor. It judges HR by observing the blood under your skin. Super accurate for me.

Since my original post I was in a horrific bicycle accident, and spent a month in the hospital. I found my Garmin fenix was giving me precisely the same numbers in the hospital as their expensive pulse oximeters.

I'm going to guess any smart watch with HR monitoring will work,.