Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 09:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Andy Hampsten was once asked what was the best way to maximize climbing speed, spin low gears or grind big gears. His answer: spin big gears. My reality: grind low gears. My main functions on hilly group rides are (1) giving everyone else nice breaks at the tops of hills waiting for me and (2) making everyone else feel better about themselves ("At least I don't climb as slow as that guy . . . .").

As a point of reference, compared to me, genejockey is a spindly-legged climbing fart. Gravity is very much not my friend going uphill.
We like to wait at the top of the hill so that we're all refreshed when you roll up... "Okay, let's go!"

Of course, the next bit is usually downhill.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-08-24, 09:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Very few cyclists of any weight do long climbs standing. The vast majority of cyclists spend most of their time sitting, and stand occasionally. The amount they stand seems to be based mostly on personal preference, much like cadence is largely a matter of personal preference.
Personal preference is definitely a factor. I’m now more of a runner who cross trains on a single speed bike, so big surprise even at 80kg I stand on long climbs and don’t think much of it. Even before shifting to running, single speed had pretty much wiped out my tolerance for slow, seated climbs.

Otto
Old 03-08-24, 10:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Ok, dumb question (maybe). If I am in a climb does it risk damage to shift gears up or down when I am pushing hard on the pedals?
Depends on the drivetrain you are riding, how well it is tuned, the shifter type, how fast you are going (and primarily your pedal RPM) and both how strong and how clumsy you are. In theory with the new systems, shifting under load is OK but pedaling too hard or too slowly is asking for trouble.

The old rule (and basically required with all the derailleur systems 40 years ago) was that you backed off the pedal pressure while you were shifting. This still helps a lot. In the old days, the rider had the option of doing the shift in a manner that was both quick, clean and even "elegant" if he chose to learn how. Others were quite brutal in their approach to shifting. Now, the brifter mechanism to a large part dictates how "elegant" the shift is,

The old shift strategies still work. Plan ahead. Shift before it feels really hard. Plan on letting up a touch just before you shift. If you cannot do all that, bring a few extra chain links and a couple of master links and a chain tool or have a ride home handy. Blown shifts have massacred more than a chain or two. Broken cog and chainring teeth. (Not often and usually the bike is still ridable after.) Trashed rear derailleurs happen. Front derailleurs not so often. (That chain tool and the links will let you shorten the chain and limp home on one gear.)

And, if you simply cannot do that elegant shift because the hill is too steep and you are going too slow, stop! Get off the bike or pick up the rear wheel and shift to low. Start. Your mechanism will thank you. (And you might be spared the wrath of your SO.)

If you want to see the potential downside to a blown shift, there is easy to find video footage of Andy Schleck in the Tour de France making a mess of his shift while initiating the move that was to win him the race. Instead he was at the side of the road sorting his bike out while his rival rode past and on to the win. That shift probably cost him $100k. Patience and easing up would have cost him two seconds. (I never did hear what damage the bike suffered. No surprise. Team mechanics are very closed mouth about both their mistakes and issues with gear from sponsors. The bike worked after as I recall but maybe he got a new bike.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-08-24, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
And to the cost of standing vs weight - light or long and slim for your weight rules. I cannot argue why or how. I just know. I raced as a nearly 6'1 145 pounder with arms and legs that were so long they were a curse for finding clothes all my life but on a bike? That uphill dance I simply loved. The bigger, more solid guys simply hated me in any race that wasn't flat.

Now, "standing" wasn't really what I did. I pulled my weight forward. My pedal stroke was not me putting my weight on the pedals, it was me pushing and pulling the pedals against each other in a dance where I rocked the bike and pushed and pulled the brake levers or drops as well. (Races with really steep hills I doubled up my toestraps so I couldn't possibly pull my foot out.)
Old 03-08-24, 10:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Depends on the drivetrain you are riding, how well it is tuned, the shifter type, how fast you are going (and primarily your pedal RPM) and both how strong and how clumsy you are. In theory with the new systems, shifting under load is OK but pedaling too hard or too slowly is asking for trouble.

The old rule (and basically required with all the derailleur systems 40 years ago) was that you backed off the pedal pressure while you were shifting. This still helps a lot. In the old days, the rider had the option of doing the shift in a manner that was both quick, clean and even "elegant" if he chose to learn how. Others were quite brutal in their approach to shifting. Now, the brifter mechanism to a large part dictates how "elegant" the shift is,

The old shift strategies still work. Plan ahead. Shift before it feels really hard. Plan on letting up a touch just before you shift. If you cannot do all that, bring a few extra chain links and a couple of master links and a chain tool or have a ride home handy. Blown shifts have massacred more than a chain or two. Broken cog and chainring teeth. (Not often and usually the bike is still ridable after.) Trashed rear derailleurs happen. Front derailleurs not so often. (That chain tool and the links will let you shorten the chain and limp home on one gear.)

And, if you simply cannot do that elegant shift because the hill is too steep and you are going too slow, stop! Get off the bike or pick up the rear wheel and shift to low. Start. Your mechanism will thank you. (And you might be spared the wrath of your SO.)

If you want to see the potential downside to a blown shift, there is easy to find video footage of Andy Schleck in the Tour de France making a mess of his shift while initiating the move that was to win him the race. Instead he was at the side of the road sorting his bike out while his rival rode past and on to the win. That shift probably cost him $100k. Patience and easing up would have cost him two seconds. (I never did hear what damage the bike suffered. No surprise. Team mechanics are very closed mouth about both their mistakes and issues with gear from sponsors. The bike worked after as I recall but maybe he got a new bike.)
I have a ‘13 Specialized Comp with Ultegra components. I did have to replace my rear derailleur. The only one available was a Shimano 105 which should be just as good!
Old 03-08-24, 10:28 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Back when I rode a recumbent, sit was the only option. So it was sit and spin until the gears ran out, then sit and grind. 20 years of that and I'm pretty acclimated to sit and grind.

Now I ride an upright, the ability to get out of the saddle is a joy. Riding with gears, I spin until the gears run out. Riding fixed, as the hill kicks up the progression is spinning on the flats > sit and grind > stand and spin > stand and grind > get off and walk. On the really sucky hills, I have to alternate between sit and grind, and stand and grind, without things getting steep enough to justify walking.

Last edited by downtube42; 03-08-24 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 11:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. I might believe you if I were new to this sport, but I'm not, and I have eyes. And legs.
Even on climbs of moderate length (3 km), most cyclists spend more time sitting:

In 2018, a study was published in the Journal of Sport Sciences that compared seated and standing cycling during outdoor time trials. They selected 13 elite cyclists and established their VO2max, which was on average 79,8 mL/kg/min, and maximal aerobic power, which was 6.3 W/kg. Each of them was asked to do 3 self-paced time trials on a 3-km-long climb with an average 7% gradient. They had 30 minutes to recover between each of their 3 rides. They were free to sit or stand during the climb as they wanted. Each of them was equipped with a power meter and portable analyser to collect metabolic and other physiological variables such as oxygen uptake or heart rate. The researchers followed the cyclists in a car from which they marked when the cyclists changed from seated to standing and for how long. Most of what the researchers found was as expected, cadence decreased when standing while the torque and power output increased. But there were a few surprises.
  • Cyclists spent 22,4% of the climb standing.
  • The speed did not differ between seated and standing climbing positions. This suggests that they used standing to maintain speed during steeper parts of the climb.
  • The longer they spent standing, the lower their cadence got. This suggests that standing for too long is more demanding.
  • Their metabolic measures such as VO2 and heartrate HR did not differ between seated and standing climbing positions.
It is important to note that the time trial took fewer than 6 minutes and only the last 4 minutes of climbing were analysed. Changes in VO2 and heart rate might not be noticeable in this short time trial but it doesn’t mean that changes would be noticeable in longer climbs.
Abstract from the referenced article:

Cyclists regularly change from a seated to a standing position when the gradient increases during uphill cycling. The aim of this study was to analyse the physiological and biomechanical responses between seated and standing positions during distance-based uphill time trials in elite cyclists. Thirteen elite cyclists completed two testing sessions that included an incremental-specific cycling test on a cycle ergometer to determine VO2max and three distance-based uphill time trials in the field to determine physiological and biomechanical variables. The change from seated to standing position did not influence physiological variables. However, power output was increased by 12.6% in standing position when compared with seated position, whereas speed was similar between the two positions. That involved a significant increase in mechanical cost and tangential force (Ftang) on the pedal (+19% and +22.4%, respectively) and a decrease (-8%) in the pedalling cadence. Additionally, cyclists spent 22.4% of their time in the standing position during the climbing time trials. Our findings showed that cyclists alternated between seated and standing positions in order to maintain a constant speed by adjusting the balance between pedalling cadence and Ftang.
Old 03-08-24, 11:42 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
We like to wait at the top of the hill so that we're all refreshed when you roll up... "Okay, let's go!"

Of course, the next bit is usually downhill.
. . . where I can more than hold my own.
Old 03-09-24, 02:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Even on climbs of moderate length (3 km), most cyclists spend more time sitting:

Abstract from the referenced article:
What point are you arguing, dude? There's nothing relevant to the discussion there, like a simple plot of percent of time spent out of saddle as a function of weight. But, hey, thanks for playing!!

Old 03-09-24, 02:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

. . . where I can more than hold my own.
Next time we do the C&V ride, we should start from that stop sign on Alpine and Corte Madera, and see who can achieve the highest Vmax.

Old 03-09-24, 03:06 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Andy Hampsten was once asked what was the best way to maximize climbing speed, spin low gears or grind big gears. His answer: spin big gears.
I believe that story usually attributes the "spin big gears" comment to Eddy Merckx, not Andy Hampsten.
Old 03-09-24, 03:15 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
What point are you arguing, dude? There's nothing relevant to the discussion there, like a simple plot of percent of time spent out of saddle as a function of weight. But, hey, thanks for playing!!
The GCN crew, inspired by the spindly Spanish climber Alberto Contador's having mentioned in an interview that he regularly made of point of training in the mountains by riding out of the saddle for up to 20 minutes at a time, once did a video shoot where a bunch of the GCN presenters tried to replicate that training method.

As shown in that video, Emma Poole, a featherweight former women's world champion on the road, had no trouble pedaling out of the saddle for the entire ride. Sy Richardson, a tall former pro who can still ride time trials at a power level of around 500 watts, struggled to stay out of the saddle and soon gave up the attempt.

Edit: found the video. (At about 2:45 in the video, Sy mentions that the FDJ pro team conducted a study on the topic and found that their lightest riders were equally efficient in or out of the saddle but the heavier riders were less efficient out of the saddle, with the difference becoming significant after around 30 seconds of standing and climbing.)

Last edited by Trakhak; 03-09-24 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-09-24, 07:38 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
"Those who can, climb, those who can't, argue about the best way to do it"...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-09-24, 08:08 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The GCN crew, inspired by the spindly Spanish climber Alberto Contador's having mentioned in an interview that he regularly made of point of training in the mountains by riding out of the saddle for up to 20 minutes at a time, once did a video shoot where a bunch of the GCN presenters tried to replicate that training method.
I still think much of it is how you train. Two summers ago I had a time where I was saddle sore to the point that I rode without using the saddle for all three rides I did that week. Rides ranging from 60 to 90 minutes. Now, I will point out that I was using touring bars not drop bars which makes the longer standing sessions more practical. The big limitation was what my feet could endure.

Otto
Old 03-09-24, 10:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by ofajen
I still think much of it is how you train. Two summers ago I had a time where I was saddle sore to the point that I rode without using the saddle for all three rides I did that week. Rides ranging from 60 to 90 minutes. Now, I will point out that I was using touring bars not drop bars which makes the longer standing sessions more practical. The big limitation was what my feet could endure.

Otto
Oh, of course training is a big part of it. Spending more time out of the saddle and trying to dance rather than stomp helps a lot. But I'm not much of a dancer.

Old 03-09-24, 10:18 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
The researchers followed the cyclists in a car from which they marked when the cyclists changed from seated to standing and for how long.
If you have the data (and they did) you can usually tell when a rider switches from sitting to standing. Sometimes you can also tell when they switch from standing to sitting but it's less obvious. When going from sitting to standing, almost always cadence suddenly drops, and torque and power suddenly increase. When going from standing to sitting, sometimes you see a sudden change but sometimes you see a slow gradual change which makes it harder to spot the point when riders sit.
Old 03-09-24, 10:43 AM
tomato coupe

I stated that the majority of cyclists spend most of their time on long climbs sitting, and stand occasionally. You called that nonsense. I provided a link to a study that directly addresses the issue. That's it.
Old 03-09-24, 10:50 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
"Lifting their own body weight" is a red herring -- all riders lift their own body weight while standing. Standing doesn't impose any additional "weight penalty" on heavier riders beyond the simple linear mass dependence.
I've watched a lot of recreational riders climb. I'm a group ride nut and also do events. Folks I see out of the saddle are much more likely to be slim and the slimmer they are, the more time they're up. At some certain BMI, they never stand.

I like to climb at between 78 and 83 and gear to be able to do that on my usual routes. I stand briefly every 10 minutes until I get so tired that standing is a complete waste of my fading leg energy. That's usually on multi-1000' climbs. BMI 24.in summer, 25 in winter. I've never walked my single on a climb. I'm more likely to stop for 1' and then go again. We once walked our tandem when loaded touring and on a 19% grade. That was horrible.
Old 03-09-24, 11:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I stated that the majority of cyclists spend most of their time on long climbs sitting, and stand occasionally. You called that nonsense. I provided a link to a study that directly addresses the issue. That's it.
I think I can clarify. I wasn't calling that nonsense. Perhaps that wasn't clear and that's my fault. What's nonsense is your contention that heavier riders are at no disadvantage to lighter riders when riding out of the saddle, beyond the simple difference in hauling the extra mass uphill.

Old 03-09-24, 11:06 AM
tomato coupe

I think I can clarify. I wasn't calling that nonsense. Perhaps that wasn't clear and that's my fault. What's nonsense is your contention that heavier riders are at no disadvantage to lighter riders when riding out of the saddle, beyond the simple difference in hauling the extra mass uphill.
Okay. What makes climbing out of the saddle more difficult for heavier riders?
Old 03-09-24, 11:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Okay. What makes climbing out of the saddle more difficult for heavier riders?
I don't know for absolutely sure, but I think it really does have to do with raising the entire body weight a bit on every pedal stroke, since when standing you use your weight to help push down on the pedal. Yes, EVERYBODY is doing that, but heavier riders are, as I said, heavier, and even if it takes the same power/kg no matter how much you weigh, heavier riders are lifting more kg.

But, you know, empirical observation trumps hypothesis, so if your hypothesis doesn't account for the fact that heavier riders are less efficient when standing than lighter riders (see above) then your hypothesis isn't a complete model of the reality.

Old 03-09-24, 11:36 AM
tomato coupe

I don't know for absolutely sure, but I think it really does have to do with raising the entire body weight a bit on every pedal stroke, since when standing you use your weight to help push down on the pedal. Yes, EVERYBODY is doing that, but heavier riders are, as I said, heavier, and even if it takes the same power/kg no matter how much you weigh, heavier riders are lifting more kg.
Again, this doesn't matter. Yes, a heavier rider expends more energy raising his body weight every pedal stroke, but the expended energy is proportional to body weight, just as it is when pedaling seated. If you weigh 10% more, you'll expend 10% more raising your body weight on each pedal stroke. But, you will also expend 10% more energy if you remain seated. It's a wash.

But, you know, empirical observation trumps hypothesis, so if your hypothesis doesn't account for the fact that heavier riders are less efficient when standing than lighter riders (see above) then your hypothesis isn't a complete model of the reality.
The hypothesis doesn't account for that, because it isn't correct.
Old 03-09-24, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Again, this doesn't matter. Yes, a heavier rider expends more energy raising his body weight every pedal stroke, but the expended energy is proportional to body weight, just as it is when pedaling seated. If you weigh 10% more, you'll expend 10% more raising your body weight on each pedal stroke. But, you will also expend 10% more energy if you remain seated. It's a wash.
But that's IN ADDITION TO the energy you'd expend seated. You seem to be arguing that lifting 200 lbs is as easy for a 200 lb rider as lifting 145 lbs is for a 145 lb rider.

The hypothesis doesn't account for that, because it isn't correct.
Being incomplete is one way of being incorrect. There's an empirical observation (heavier riders less efficient standing) that your hypothesis doesn't explain. In my business, that means you adjust/replace your hypothesis.

Old 03-09-24, 11:48 AM
tomato coupe

But that's IN ADDITION TO the energy you'd expend seated. You seem to be arguing that lifting 200 lbs is as easy for a 200 lb rider as lifting 145 lbs is for a 145 lb rider.
No, it's not in addition to the energy expended while seated. The energy that goes into lifting your body is what drives the cranks and moves the bike uphill.
Old 03-09-24, 11:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

No, it's not in addition to the energy expended while seated. The energy that goes into lifting your body is what drives the cranks and moves the bike uphill.
So, here's the thing - it really doesn't matter whether I can explain the observation. The observation doesn't require that I be able to explain it for it to be true.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.