Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Strength training and endurance riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Strength training and endurance riding

I did some searching and found some threads on this topic, but most were years old or not focused on my train of thought.

After finishing a couple century rides with fatigued/shaky arms, I started working on core and shoulder/arm strength training. After focusing on strength training for the last 12 months, not only do a I finish without any arm issues, but I find myself wanted to ride on the drops/hooks, moreover I'm planning to lower the stem. The only major change year-over-year was the strength training. I like to know if other long-distance riders have similar experiences.

In reading the old threads, there's a lot of posts about core strength being useless on a bike. IMO, the people that can get away without any strength training are the younger riders. When I was younger, I didn't have to think about strength training, I'd just do my thing and build muscle. Now that I'm 47 years old it's not so easy to build and retain muscle. Additionally, I'd say there's a big difference in the way you train for a 20-30 mile ride versus a 100-150 mile ride

Another funny side 'benefit' of the strength training, riding without hands. I did this all the time in my 20s, but recent years I haven't been able to feel stable... until I started working on core strength training. Now it's easy.
Old 05-25-16, 07:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Personally, I am so much more comfortable on the bicycle when I do some core work and upper body strength training. I sit better on the saddle (less sitting pain) and can hold good posture for longer.

I'm 49 and not having too much difficulty building muscle.
Old 05-25-16, 01:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think it really makes sense for randos to do some light core work. After seeing some of the older riders after finishing PBP, it really hit home how much it can improve riding. I was racing when they were pushing weight training for racers. I always thought it made things more comfortable. I need to do more, that's for sure. I hurt my ankle a couple of years ago, and that makes a lot of the exercises at least a little more difficult
Old 05-25-16, 07:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Strength training is good. I've been doing it for many years. One can become very much stronger without getting heavier.
Old 05-26-16, 02:48 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
IMO upper body weight training makes a huge difference on long Brevets. I had done a 1000k brevet, and suffered with Shermer's during the last 60k. Since then I have included upper body weight training in my gym workout, and have not had any upper body or neck problems.
YannisG
Old 05-26-16, 04:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Plus, comes this study from Sweden:
PLOS ONE: Endurance Exercise Enhances the Effect of Strength Training on Muscle Fiber Size and Protein Expression of Akt and mTOR

which found that cycling training immediately before weight training improved the cross sectional area of type 1-fiber muscles in the legs and gave the same leg strength increases experienced by the controls who only strength trained. I've always ridden before I lifted and have found that worked best, so not a shocker for me.
Old 05-29-16, 09:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I can't say if core body strength training helps at the end of a long day in the saddle, but I can say that at 62 years old where it is getting harder to maintain muscle mass, I have to do some strength training. I also have some spinal damage, because of that I have to spend a lot of time at the gym with lower back and abdominal exercises.

I used to weigh about 205 pounds, now about 175 to 180 pounds, am 72.5 inches tall. I found that difference weight made me enjoy using the drops more than in the past. I suspect that before I lost weight I would use the drops for maybe 5 percent of the time, now much more often, maybe as much as 30 percent of the time.

Yesterday while pushing into a 20 mph (~30 km/hour) headwind, gusts to 30 mph, I used the drops continuously without feeling any desire to sit more upright. My only complaint was that I had to use the 30T granny gear on my triple while pushing into the wind.