Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The things you see out there

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 11:19 AM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts

Just wondering what you guys and gals encounter out there on the bike paths and trails more geared towards the comical side but I guess anything goes. I was on the Florida Pinellas trail on Saturday, it was a fairly cool day maybe around 55 to 58 degrees with a pretty strong wind. As I was going up the ramp to one of bridge crossovers, a guy on an electric bike passes me wearing winter boots, a very heavy winter coat with a ski mask and hat and gloves. Hanging out of his mouth was a cigarette that he was puffing on. He got ahead of me by about a couple hundred feet and the smoke kept blowing right back at me. Never once did I see him pedal, just cruising along. I was trying to slow up a little but it seemed I couldn't clear his smoke trail. As I came to one of the bridges he was at the top of the bridge lighting up another one and yes a little further on down the trail he passes me again with a cigarette hanging out of the ski mask mouth just cruising along getting his miles in. Funny stuff. Anyone else have something to share ? boomer.
Likes For boomer58:
Old 01-22-24, 11:55 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
ha! Holding the throttle button down en route to another Red Power lawsuit.

it was probably a doob.

/markp
Old 01-22-24, 11:58 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Lately for me, multiple sightings of teenagers on minibikes on SoCal dedicated bike paths.
At least we hear them coming. Loudly. And quickly. Sometimes thirty mph. No helmets, either.
Not amused by it, whatsoever. And they do it because law enforcement cannot curtail it.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 01-22-24, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
I saw Lance Armstrong riding a Trek with Shimano components on an MUP. Does that count?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 12:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I saw Lance Armstrong riding a Trek with Shimano components on an MUP. Does that count?
Did you give him "The Look" and dial up 400 watts?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-22-24, 12:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Weirdest thing I see---and I see it often--is this really ugly fat old guy who obviously is too unhealthy to be riding a bicycle.

If I keep seeing him I might have to remove the mirror on my bike.
Old 01-22-24, 12:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
A dozen young guys on those gas-powered scooters, blatting along, trying to get up speed ahead of a half-mile, 6% gradient. Easily one of the loudest things I've ever experienced, and also one of the most annoying - like a chorus of leafblowers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-22-24, 01:14 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
lately for me, multiple sightings of teenagers on minibikes on socal dedicated bike paths.
At least we hear them coming. Loudly. And quickly. Sometimes thirty mph. No helmets, either.
Not amused by it, whatsoever. And they do it because the political establishment in california doesn't want law enforcement cannot to curtail it.
fify
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 01-22-24, 01:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Two full blown dune buggies blasting past me at 40 mph kicking up pebbles, dust and a fume cloud.
Just another day on a SoCal MUP.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-22-24, 01:44 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Did you give him "The Look" and dial up 400 watts?
I was on the side of the trail manually screwing back in my bottom bracket shell. I later voiced my displeasure to my mechanic.
Old 01-22-24, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Young rattler on the Lehigh Gorge Trail.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

This was freaky. I ran into some walkers in one of the tunnels of the abandoned stretch of PA Turnpike, which is now a MUP, while touring across PA. We chatted for a bit, then I took this photo. That night in camp, I was the only person there. I started reviewing the day’s photos. When I saw this, a chill ran up and down my spine. I hadn’t realized there were three of them. It was dark, I had my sunglasses on, and I was looking into the lights. And notice that the woman in the middle didn’t have a flashlight.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 02:11 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I see people on Zwift sucking my wheel for a good long time only to drop me at the climbs. They don't even bother to type Hi when I introduce myself with a message. Sometimes though I do get a ride on....

So much for the social aspect of it.
Old 01-22-24, 02:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Various forms of sexual activity . Obviously I don't' stop and take photos
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-22-24, 02:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dedhed
Various forms of sexual activity . Obviously I don't' stop and take photos
It would have lasted longer if you had taken photos.

I encountered a used condom in one of the Adirondack shelters along the GAP trail in Connellsville, PA. I took up residence in a different one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 02:41 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
We get mystery swarms of those dudes, occasionally. My SWAG is they have some kind of on-line presence and plan meetups, something akin to the sideshows. Loud doesn't begin to describe. Further SWAG they haul them to meetups since, you know, riding 90 miles to one would present problems. I did encounter one in traffic eastbound on the Bay Bridge, weaving around and past everybody. Was relieved to have not watched him be squashed like an insect among the standard fleet of F-150s and Suburbans.

As to the OP's Michelin man, even in the peak of summer I see dudes here riding in full sweats with hoodies tight over their heads. Smoking not uncommon, also phone in hand. Given the high ranges between 90-105 most of summer, I'm astonished they don't burst into flame.
Old 01-22-24, 02:45 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Have bunny-hopped a few of those bad boys, and/or gopher snakes it's hard to tell sometimes and I'm not turning around for a second go.

When they span the path and then some, it's a real attention-getter.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 01-22-24, 02:47 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I'm out in BFE up in the mountains, so mostly wildlife. I've seen bears probably a dozen times, while riding. I've seen a mountain lion a couple of times...what's scary about them, is they're probably around a lot of the time, it's just that they're good at not being seen.

Funniest was while out riding on a gravel road. I came across a big fat naked guy, walking his dogs. It wasn't exactly the best road to be a naturist on, if that's your thing. He tried to jump into a patch of Manzanita, if there are any botanists on here, they'll likely know that Manzanita isn't the friendliest bush to jump into when nude.

I see lots of kids on dirtbikes on the roads here. I don't complain, as these are rural roads and I did the same thing when I was their age. I usually just give them the "throttle fist" hand signal and they'll pull a wheelie in response.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 01-22-24, 02:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
A couple years ago I was crossing the reservoir spillway and saw a very old guy all dressed up in proper kit on a folding bike that looked too small for him. However he was doing a much better go of it than the other guy coming the other way on a proper road bike that was just in a sweaty undershirt and shorts.
Old 01-22-24, 03:21 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Coming back into suburbia on my morning ride a few summers ago, just getting light, in the distance I see a dude walking to his mailbox in whitie tighties. Then he sees me, too late to bail, has a slight hitch in his step then decides to go for it. As I ride by we recognize each other from church.

It was never mentioned.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-22-24, 04:31 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Have bunny-hopped a few of those bad boys, and/or gopher snakes it's hard to tell sometimes and I'm not turning around for a second go.

When they span the path and then some, it's a real attention-getter.
I have accidentally ran over some snakes on the bike path, just simply could not avoid them. It always bothers me, I feel that it's bad Ju-ju, if there is one creature that I don't want mad at me, or tell his buddies, it is a snake.
Old 01-22-24, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Lately for me, multiple sightings of teenagers on minibikes on SoCal dedicated bike paths.
Not amused by it, whatsoever. And they do it because law enforcement cannot curtail it.
Law enforcement may not be able to stop it but a nice stick or a frame pump, ala a certain movie that hopefully everyone here has seen, should do the trick nicely

Generally most MUPs have a no motorized vehicle rule so those on mopeds and motorcycles should be banned people should say something or do something when possible. It would be nice to have a place free of fumes and throttles.
Old 01-22-24, 10:49 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I was biking on a levee in the middle of the everglades and suddenly: naked dude sun bathing. Lawn chair and all.

He seemed more surprised than I was.

Whatever dude, enjoy nature your way....
Old 01-23-24, 09:06 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I’ve seen this a few times now…in SE Florida…people on bicycles that don’t have tires. Just riding along metal on pavement. I think it’s probably homeless folks so it’s kind of understandable. The last one I saw a couple days ago was making a turn…very slowly and methodically. Certainly can’t be much traction on either wheel.

Dan
Old 01-23-24, 09:36 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Generally most MUPs have a no motorized vehicle rule so those on mopeds and motorcycles should be banned people should say something or do something when possible. It would be nice to have a place free of fumes and throttles.
+2

Where I ride, those kind of cycles are specifically prohibited, but I think e-bikes opened the floodgates and now it seems anything goes. It's now common to see anything short of a full-size motorcycle sharing the path.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.