Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Shred the gnar" other slang.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 09:01 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts

I heard someone say "shred the gnar" and had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on thinking I was just getting old. Searching the forums, showed it wasn't used here in over 10 years. So it's old slang? or just a regional thing.
Old 03-08-24, 09:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Mountain biker slang.
Old 03-08-24, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I said it earlier today. Kind of jokingly of course but that is generally how you would say it. However if not an actual mountain biker you probably would never say it or come across it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-08-24, 09:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

What is the origin of "Drope the hamer"?

Also, what is "The 33"?
Old 03-08-24, 09:25 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Its also old snow skiing slang, I think snowboarders might have adopted it, too. I'm not an MTBr so never heard it used in a bicycle context.

I heard a young teenager use the term "gleeming the cube" the other day. Its from a different activity, and from a few generations back, but it did grab my attention.

Last edited by skidder; 03-08-24 at 09:29 PM.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-08-24, 09:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I heard someone say "shred the gnar" and had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on thinking I was just getting old. Searching the forums, showed it wasn't used here in over 10 years. So it's old slang? or just a regional thing.
genuinely no idea and couldn't get it from hearing individual words in the past?

Shred is hardly a new term- it's decades old. If you are getting old now, you likely heard/read it a bunch in your younger years.
Gnar just sounds like 2/3 of 'gnarly'...because it is. That doesn't sound like most of any other word I can think of.

Put em together.
...or maybe my mental age stays way too young for my body's age.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-24, 09:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

https://www.snowboardingdays.com/shredding-the-gnar/
Old 03-08-24, 09:51 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Getting old is another way of saying breathing, so that's a thing to either ignore or deal with.

In-group slang is older than dirt, and has to change fast to keep it exclusive. I mean what's the point of in-group slang after it's become a meme?

Pick you in-group and try to keep up.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-08-24, 11:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
What is the origin of "Drope the hamer"?

Also, what is "The 33"?
Drope the hamer came from a guy named Ryan F. A very entertaining poster who misspelled a lot of words.

The 33 is the racing forum. The number 33 appears in the http line.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-09-24, 09:42 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
"Meeting the man with the hammer" - Truly old cycling slang meaning exactly the opposite of "drope the hamer."
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-09-24, 11:28 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by big john
The 33 is the racing forum. The number 33 appears in the http line.
Thanks for that, but what is the significance of the number "33" ?
Old 03-09-24, 11:46 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I've been an avid rock climber since the mid 90's. One we always had was "send". It meant to climb a route without falling. The safety gear was absolutely allowed, just never came into play because you didn't fall. It made a lot of sense because it was universal across a few sub-disciplines of the sport without too much need to split hairs.

Then, maybe 5 years ago or so, I started hearing it elsewhere. Crossfitters and powerlifters, skiers/boarders, and most especially mountain bikers. Always to define going for it. Sometimes with mixed results. This actually goes counter to the definition climbers had, to quote the late and great Camhead "What's an almost Send? NOTHING".

Funny thing, whether I feel my culture has been appropriated or not, SEND seems to fit the mountain bike better than it fit climbers. I'm able to differentiate the two, I'll continue to use the term correctly, regardless of which shoes I'm wearing.
Old 03-09-24, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, the subforums here used to be numbered. That was before my time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-09-24, 11:55 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,841 Posts
I think "Shed the Gnar" & "Gleaming the Cube" go hand and hand. Out of date slang, that was used more, in a tongue-in-cheek and mocking way, than it ever was earnestly.
"Shred the Gnar" should always be said in your best Keanu Reeves voice, accentuated by a "Hella Sick" or "Shaka Brah" for good measure.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 03-09-24, 01:17 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I've been an avid rock climber since the mid 90's. One we always had was "send". It meant to climb a route without falling. The safety gear was absolutely allowed, just never came into play because you didn't fall. It made a lot of sense because it was universal across a few sub-disciplines of the sport without too much need to split hairs.

Then, maybe 5 years ago or so, I started hearing it elsewhere. Crossfitters and powerlifters, skiers/boarders, and most especially mountain bikers. Always to define going for it. Sometimes with mixed results. This actually goes counter to the definition climbers had, to quote the late and great Camhead "What's an almost Send? NOTHING".

Funny thing, whether I feel my culture has been appropriated or not, SEND seems to fit the mountain bike better than it fit climbers. I'm able to differentiate the two, I'll continue to use the term correctly, regardless of which shoes I'm wearing.
In mountain biking, I've always heard variations of "send," specifically "full send" and to "send it." We've always used it to describe the act of fully committing to riding a hard line at speed, so pretty much the same meaning.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 03-09-24, 01:46 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
In mountain biking, I've always heard variations of "send," specifically "full send" and to "send it." We've always used it to describe the act of fully committing to riding a hard line at speed, so pretty much the same meaning.
Its close.

In mountain biking and skiing it’s “full send” “send it” and even “feeling sendy”. I don’t know if a foot dab or crash means you didn’t “send”. It seems like a brah version of Venga or Allez!!

Climbers have a very strict definition. Grab something other than the rock, hang on the rope, fall, not a send. Better luck next try. It’s not a chant or cheer, though can be used mid route to keep someone from wimping out.

I’m curious who used it first. I’ve been doing both since the 90’s. I heard it among the climbing community in the early aughts or sooner. I heard it among mountain bikers no more than 10 years ago, probably 7 or 8.
Old 03-09-24, 02:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Gleaming the cube I have no idea. With shredding the gnar I think shredding means doing a good job clearing or getting thru a section cleanly with no falls, of a gnarly, or technically difficult part of a trail. I hear Spicoli saying this.
Old 03-09-24, 03:05 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
"Send it" is old radio slang, evolved to use with the ground pounders.
Old 03-09-24, 07:25 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
This is fun, I still use the term 86 from when I first hear it while working in restaurants in the 80's. It refers to discarding something, throw it in the trash. It's spoiled,broken, burnt... whatever, 86 it. It's applicable to anything really. Worn tires are 86'd. If want to get rid of someone, not in the AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap sense..... but no longer relate to them. You 86 'em.

In BF terms, if you can't stand hearing a member anymore, you 86 'em.

I was once on a group ride where an unwelcomed rider started tagging along, so the rider who knew him looked at me and said, "Lets get rid of him". Hah !! Today I'd say "okay, lets 86 'im !".

I overhauled a hub and what do I do with the used bearings ? I 86 'em.

And you say with a little gusto, and a very wry smile

I know there's other associated meaning for the term, but that's how I first heard it and used it. I still use it all the time for getting rid of anything.
Old 03-09-24, 11:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
The sub forums had a 2 digit number in the url header, after the http. The road forum was 41. Some of us still refer to it as "the 41".

Last edited by big john; 03-09-24 at 11:25 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-10-24, 12:47 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I have heard "shred the brown pow" about a decade ago, then I fell out of mountain biking in a group so I keep using old terms unless I watch enough sam pilgrim videos.... Then everything is sick.
I mentally think/say "send it" if I am going for something ballsy. Or "I sent it too hard and went OTB"
Then there is that "guerrilla snot" mud that sticks to everything.
Don't forget the "moon dust" up in the sierra's
I figure mountain biking takes a lot of slang from other extreme sports and mashes it together.

To me, shredding the gnar means you were stylish going down the mountain and hit the berms, jumps, and features hard.
I almost never shred the gnar. More of a "yeah I sent that trail and crashed, had a sick bail and landed on my feet".
I don't know what the kids say these days.
Old 03-10-24, 06:32 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Gleaming the tube.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0097438/