Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

How much more difficult is it to pack a BF with drop bars

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 08:17 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts

I am considering a NWT, but I prefer drop bars to flat bars for anything other than pure mountain biking. It seems like flat bars would be much easier to fit into a suitcase, but was curious about people's experience packing BFs into the F-Lite suitcase with drop bars.

Does splitting help? How reliable is splitting the bars?
Old 02-17-18, 09:59 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You need to take off the handlebars from the handlebar stem and place them in the suitcase as best you can..It helps enormously if you have plenty of cable length..Easy enough to loosen the front brake cable and the rear brake cable..Putting the drop handlebars in a suitcase is much easier with bar end shifters because they generally have a long cable run anyway..more difficult with STI shifters..
Old 02-17-18, 10:29 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
The split and shimmed bars work just fine. I've never noticed any appreciable flex when riding, but I'm a lightweight. If you're really hammering on the bars, say on a climb up a steep hill, you might notice it, I'm not sure.

I have seen non-split bars on a Friday fit within a suitcase. Much depends on the shape of the bars and which suitcase you're using.

Split and shimmed bars work just fine in a suitcase. It takes a little more effort to position them precisely within the case - typically toward the corners - but otherwise it's not a big deal. I'm with you, I don't like flat bars, so all my Bike Fridays are set up with drop bars, even my Tikit.
Old 02-17-18, 10:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I have an older Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, with vintage Ultegra 9s brifters. It is a bit of a pain to pack... Stripping stem, bars, pedals, and wheels. But, with some practice, perhaps 10 or 15 minutes on each end, maybe less.

My BF also has the split bars. There is a pin on the inside, and the split. Then the custom BF stem is extra wide. I haven't put a lot of miles on the bike, but it seems secure enough.

I'm not sure if BF is still making split bars, or if they've gone to an open faceplate and solid bars.
Old 02-17-18, 10:40 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pocket rocket with non-split bars. There is a trick to it involving tucking the curved part under the rest of it on the top of the case. But once one knows the trick, it works.
Old 02-17-18, 11:51 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Works fine

I have the split bars and they take a bit of practice to fit easily. The flat bars on the wife's BF are very easy to pack. If I did it again I would buy a compact road bar and have Bike Friday split them. No problem once they are set up on the bike.
Old 02-17-18, 03:01 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
My Pocker Rocket in the case with split drop bars. If you look hard you can see them. Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-001F.jpg (38.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 02-20-18, 12:25 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I am considering a NWT, but I prefer drop bars to flat bars for anything other than pure mountain biking. It seems like flat bars would be much easier to fit into a suitcase, but was curious about people's experience packing BFs into the F-Lite suitcase with drop bars.

Does splitting help? How reliable is splitting the bars?
Splitting makes it considerably easier to fit, IME. As long as your bar is 25.4 or 26.0 and aluminum, I think they can split the bar for you. I know a few people that split Nitto bars through Bike Friday.
Old 02-23-18, 04:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How reliable is splitting the bars?
I have their split MTB bar.. there is a tube in the center inside both sections , and a split tube on the outside ,
that the stem face plate grips..

so 3 layers thick .. for the 4" of width..

with oversize bar stems, your tube out side diameter is 1.25"