Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Do you run a rack on your folder?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Do you run a rack on your folder?

Old 03-11-14, 08:44 PM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
My Why(?) small wheels and their inherent low trail steering Geometry
stability works better with a load on the front end ..
I agree. Carrying some load on the front improves the handling of my 20" folding bikes. Without the front load, I sometimes do wheelies (front wheel liftoff) when I take off from standing start in the uphill direction or when pedaling over speed bumps and uphill at the same time. With some front load, that doesn't happen. Also the steering is a little less twitchy when there's some mass on the front, still responsive and quick but less sensitive and tracks the direction of travel better.

AdventureCycling has touring tips, among which they say:
When touring with panniers, try to keep your total load between 15 and 45 pounds. Your bike will be most stable if you put more weight in your front panniers--roughly 60 percent of weight in front and 40 percent in back. Experiment with weight distribution to find the best handling results for your particular bike.
Source: What to Take and How to Pack | How To Department | Adventure Cycling Association
Old 03-19-14, 12:50 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have front and rear racks on my Dahon Mariner. The rear came with the bike, while the front rack, which is basically impossible to buy new from anywhere, came from another forum member to whom I am very grateful.

I commute on it daily, and on about half the days I only have the rear rack in use; I have the backpack strapped to it by using an S-Caribiner to clip the backpack's top handle to a seat rail, and then a bungee net to secure it to the rack. This way, I have no heel clearance issues, and I can get the backpack off the bike and on my back in around 30 seconds, which I need to do midway through my commute since folding the bike with the pack strapped on isn't really possible. I have a little saddlebag with tools and a tube always attached to the rear rack right up against the seatpost.

I use the front rack about half the time. Usually I just use one pannier up front or a rack-trunk on the top, so I can still fold the bike when they are attached. Occasionally I need to use both panniers up front, such as pictured here (I was bringing in two dozen donuts into work - one boxed- dozen in each bag), and when that's the case I need to unclip one pannier to get a fold, or I just don't fold (which I can get away with when the trains aren't crowded.)

Steering is obviously slower when there are bags installed up front, but really, it doesn't feel much different than a full-sized MTB; I find it takes around 30 seconds to get used to it.

A front rack along with the right bags really increases my commuting flexibility, and I recommend them if you can find them.

-Warr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dahon_mariner_racks.jpg (99.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 03-21-14, 06:04 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both a front and rear rack. My bike came with a rear rack, but I do tour with my folder and I like to put some weight on the front to make it easier to handle. John
Old 03-21-14, 07:02 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front and rear rack on my NWT. I tour on it and carry front and rear panniers, back rack bag and handlebar bag. Don't ask me to lift it ;-)
Old 02-19-16, 09:41 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Tern Kanga Rack

Old 02-19-16, 11:59 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I love my crossrack. Pull the pin and it's like riding with no rack, no extra weight. Pop the rack on with the pin and I can go shopping. I wouldn't want a permanent attachment rack because I don't like pushing the extra weight when I ride. I do like that the crossrack is behind my body and there's no drag from wind. Easily holds a full shopping bag. Now my Nitto rack up front is permanent and holds my mini rando bag. That's home to my lock, wallet, rolled up jacket when needed, or minor shopping items and take out. Minimal weight and it helps with steering.
Attached Images
FullSizeRender.jpg (57.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-20-16, 12:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I haven't been using my Bike Friday a lot around town.

Personally I use a backpack quite a bit, so for ordinary rides, stuff just gets put into the pack.

When I do need a folder, it usually needs to get stuffed into a suitcase, and a rack would be more work. What my last trip did demonstrate, though, was that I definitely need more tie-downs on the suitcase. I bought a couple of rims that wouldn't fit inside, so they got lashed down on top. But, then getting into the suitcase meant unstrapping and strapping.

So, my goal is to add 2 sets of tie-downs. One set for a backpack in the middle (for easy access pockets), and a second set for bigger cargo. I"ll have to decide how it will work if I choose to carry both.

Attached Images
BikeFriday_Trailer.jpg (108.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-22-16, 12:35 AM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For my commute I have to have a rack and mudguards.

https://i.imgur.com/48gNCze.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iFpKe5z.jpg
Old 02-22-16, 10:03 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I solved the problem of having a rack when I need one and having no rack when i want the bike light by buying TWO folders

for my daily commuter workhorse I run a rack on it with full fenders and mudguards and use a rack bag on those very hot 28+C summer days (that's my cutoff before it gets too sweaty!). but usually I used Deuter bag with their suspended backpacks. doing that gives me less fiddling around when i'm folding and just get into work.

for lightness my other folder has no fenders rack or anything unnecessary heavy.
Old 02-22-16, 12:45 PM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Brompton with titanium front rack and rear rack.

Old 02-22-16, 09:43 PM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the stock rack on the dahon vybe, when I took it out I realized how heavy it was. But, I really like it especially with the tie that comes with it. I still haven't bought panniers for it since i'm not sure if it would clear.
Old 03-05-16, 07:35 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a 20" Racktime Fold-It rack on my Genesis folder. It's nice because it fully disassembles to lay flat in the suitcase I use for tranport.

Old 03-05-16, 09:08 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
My Stowaway!
Attached Images
stowaway sale 1.jpg (83.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-05-16, 01:54 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
I still have to install my fenders on my Dahon Speed P8, as well as source a rack. I'm the type that requires having both. I hate getting the mud stripe of shame, and I always need to carry something.
Old 03-06-16, 08:10 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tend to wear a small backpack for commuting since I don't like to have a rack and panniers moving about and making rattling noises. Bought a Dahon Curve D3 in the fall. It came with a rear rack, which I removed. It also came with a Tern front truss and bag (this one https://ep.yimg.com/ay/nycewheels/dah...ing-bags-4.png) which neither I nor the previous owner could remove from the bike, so he threw it in. I thought it was ridiculous and too small... it is about the size of a tiny cooler or a very large lunch kit. I was able to squeeze my work clothes into it for my commute and I rather like it because
- no rattling noises
- very secure, but quick to remove
- the weight is very low on the bike
- my back doesn't get sweaty in the summer

I have to say that I thought it would throw the handling of the bike off, but it doesn't.
Old 03-07-16, 11:12 PM
iamclaus

Bikes: Breezer Zag8

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
For me, having a rack on a bike is essential, much like fenders. I'm all for practicality, even if it adds weight and bulk to a folder.

On the rear is an Axiom Journey Adjustable mounted so the top is horizontal and the legs are at mid-extension. The extension arms are bent so as to not interfere with the seatbag when the seat post is dropped down when folding the bike. Under the I have what was a wine cooler bag that now serves as a carrier for my camera tripod. It's out of the way and convenient as all heck.

On the front I have a cheap aluminum caliper-mounted rack sourced from eBay for $11, shipped. To that, I've mounted a support bar that piggybacks on the fender mounts at the base of the fork and up, over the wheel as a brace for panniers. Without the brace there's nothing for panniers to clip into at the bottom, and they'd just flop around and get stuck in the wheel. As a bonus, under the top of the front rack, I bolted a pair of air pump clips and mounted a pair of LED MagLites...

I usually ride with a single 12L pannier clipped to the front rack, adding another 12L on the front if I need more. I spent my vacation last year on a tour of sorts, putting on over 700km around Vancouver and Vancouver Island. I had the pair of 12L panniers and a 20L on the non-drive side at the back, 18L daypack strapped on top of the rack. The handling of the bike calmed down to that of a full-sized bike with the weight. For regular rides, I prefer how it handles with even just a bit of weight on the front. The panniers are from the World Tour series by Mountain Equipment Co-op, in fantastic lime green. I'm quite happy with them.

As for the added bulk when folded? It doesn't bother me. The front rack lines up with the rear rack in height when folded and both together give me a convenient handle to grasp the bike when placing it on the back seat in my car, where the bike lives from from spring through autumn.

7km into my first century, riding from North Vancouver, BC to Victoria, BC. Helluva day!

Last edited by iamclaus; 03-07-16 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 05:26 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Tern Kanga rack with 20 liter dry-bag
Old 03-27-16, 05:37 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk
Brompton with titanium front rack and rear rack.

nice set up what crank is that and front rack. The whole bike is great.
I want it!
Old 04-25-16, 06:36 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All 4 of my bikes are equipped with a standard aluminum rear rack and a cargo pack. I'd like to be lighter and less bulky.....but carry....a spare tube, tool(s), pump, lock, rain poncho/jersey, a spare jersey/shirt (especially in the humid season ~May 1 thru Oct 1). I also stash my cell phone, car keys, pocket knife/multi tool, and set of reading glasses. Probably have a couple tiny items in there too. No kitchen sink, but some days it feels like there is one.

For even longer day treks add an extra polar bottle of water because sometimes I am off the beaten path and can't risk dehydration, again, when it is hot and humid outside.

A question for those who do NOT use a rack: What do you normally carry as a minimal load and what kind of ride are you taking?
Just curious. (Maybe fuel for a new thread? "Don't use a rack and don't need one")

Thanks to everyone for their insight, I don't post much, but do read and learn a lot about folders here.
Old 04-25-16, 09:28 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My BF has a xootr crossrack and I pull the pin and remove it for rides where I don't need to carry stuff. In those instances, I carry a tiny patch kit, CO2 unit, wallet in a very small bag crosswise over my back. It's light, goes with me, minimal. My phone attaches to the bike. I could actually put all of it in my jacket pockets but I find that uncomfortable. My bike has 2 water bottle mounts. I live in California so don't worry much about rain, but my jacket is rain-resistant, and also becomes a vest with magnets for the sleeves. My "tools" are a small folding set on my keyring with my bike lock key, which has a carabiner and clips to my pants. I find carrying the CO2 much easier than a pump and, honestly, since I started carrying the flat gear I haven't had one =). I could shove a spare tube under my seat if I wanted but I'm proficient with a patch kit. If it's beyond patching, I'd call a friend and fold it into their car for a ride to a bike shop.
Old 04-25-16, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Added the Carradice SQR SQR System to my Brompton seat post.

So I can put my Camper Long flap On ..
Old 04-25-16, 03:48 PM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've recently bought an Arkel rack and bag to use on my Xootr Swift. It would not be strong enough to use on a fully loaded extended tour but for general riding and commuting it's fine. It has a quick release bracket that clamps to the saddle rails and a soft rubber grip that wraps around the seat post. It can be fitted and removed very quickly which is great for folding as the Xootr needs the seat post to be clear for the fold.
Attached Images
P1000314 (800x450).jpg (100.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-26-16, 12:21 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run full front and rear racks on my Bike Friday New World Tourist. For my commuter folder, I like the rear basket and front bag as pictured on the Dahon. It's a really fun bike. Then I still have the Mobiky I'm trying to make rideable...replacing spokes today.
Attached Images
Picture 035.jpg (100.1 KB, 79 views)
Picture 037.jpg (97.6 KB, 69 views)
Picture 036.jpg (100.1 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by hatrack71; 04-26-16 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 12:03 PM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a steel market basket zip tied to the Pletscher rack. It fits the retro look of the R20 folder.

IMAG1149 by w1gfh
Old 06-09-16, 05:34 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by w1gfh
I have a steel market basket zip tied to the Pletscher rack. It fits the retro look of the R20 folder.

IMAG1149 by w1gfh
Looks like it came with the bike as original equipment...definitely has "the Look". nice job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.