Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Claw Rear Derailleur Sliding

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-17, 06:20 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Working on a Fuji Odessa Mountain Bike. Tried installing claw derailleur in more than 1 position on dropout. Maybe the closest to success was when I pinned in about the same way the dropout opens up. But, even in that position, when I tried to change gears the derailleur turned upward and turned about 180 degrees, hitting the cassette. Please advise.
Old 09-24-17, 06:31 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Will look for a B screw and these new (to me) methods of setting H and L.
Old 09-24-17, 07:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
from the info i found online... your frame SHOULD have a Derailleur hanger that is separate from the aluminum frame, and then a direct mount rear derailleur attaches to that hanger with a large shouldered allen bolt... it sounds like you are trying to mount a derailleur with a built in hanger on it("claw")... you will need to post a pic of what you are referring to for any of us to be able to accurately answer your question... i'm presently dealing with a similar "repair" of a mongoose xr100 MTB... and in my caser, someone not only installed a "claw" der., but they also used a ROAD derailler that simply won't work on an MTB.... sigh... swapping on a tourney der....
Old 09-24-17, 07:55 PM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddog34
from the info i found online... your frame SHOULD have a Derailleur hanger that is separate from the aluminum frame, and then a direct mount rear derailleur attaches to that hanger with a large shouldered allen bolt... it sounds like you are trying to mount a derailleur with a built in hanger on it("claw")... you will need to post a pic of what you are referring to for any of us to be able to accurately answer your question... i'm presently dealing with a similar "repair" of a mongoose xr100 MTB... and in my caser, someone not only installed a "claw" der., but they also used a ROAD derailler that simply won't work on an MTB.... sigh... swapping on a tourney der....

Hanger looks the same. Mine is older, maybe a bit different.
Old 09-24-17, 08:41 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Not sure what you mean by more than one position. That bolt on top either threads into the frame or catches an insert that goes into the drop. It should pretty much lock in when it's tightened down
Old 09-24-17, 09:22 PM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curbtender
Not sure what you mean by more than one position. That bolt on top either threads into the frame or catches an insert that goes into the drop. It should pretty much lock in when it's tightened down
Doesn't seem to reach any hole near the dropout. Had it off to the side recently and was shifting okay. Only took it off the dropout to try to change wheel position (wheel was drifting to left). Maybe I need a different derailleur.
Old 09-24-17, 09:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,357 Times in 2,034 Posts
You need the nut that fits in the axle slot. REAR DERAILLEUR HANGER ADAPTOR CLAW FOR MOST DERAILLEUR TYPES, SHIMANO, SRAM | eBay

or you're missing #27 https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hang...rers/fuji.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oWzA7.jpg (7.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-24-17, 09:57 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by curbtender
that style frame has vertical dropouts, as far as we know, so far.... the "claw" type hanger/der. won't work... the bike i just finished had a similar issue... the axle would not seat in all the way... wheel was cock eyed because of that mismatch.

once again... aluminum frames typically have replaceable der. hangers... waiting to see a pic of the OP's bike....

Eric... are the dropouts VERTICAL, or HORIZONTAL on your frame?
Old 09-24-17, 10:04 PM
maddog34

horizontal dropout with intergrated der. hanger...
https://i.stack.imgur.com/KoX0T.jpg

vertical dropout with replaceable hanger...
https://gzmyu4ma9b-flywheel.netdna-s...ke-Dropout.jpg

vertical dropout with integrated hanger...
https://www.machinehead-software.co.u...ertdropout.jpg

Last edited by maddog34; 09-24-17 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 09:27 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddog34
that style frame has vertical dropouts, as far as we know, so far.... the "claw" type hanger/der. won't work... the bike i just finished had a similar issue... the axle would not seat in all the way... wheel was cock eyed because of that mismatch.

once again... aluminum frames typically have replaceable der. hangers... waiting to see a pic of the OP's bike....

Eric... are the dropouts VERTICAL, or HORIZONTAL on your frame?
The frame has vertical dropouts. Maybe it is for horizontal dropouts. But, I realized my washer may have been getting in the way. It was working before, so, after reversing the washer and the b screw it may work again.
Old 09-25-17, 03:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
A picture says a thousand words for issues like this.
Old 09-25-17, 03:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
A picture says a thousand words for issues like this.
Or more than a thousand words.

Something has been hacked together, as I don't believe the "claws" were ever sold with vertical dropouts.
Old 09-25-17, 04:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Or more than a thousand words.

Something has been hacked together, as I don't believe the "claws" were ever sold with vertical dropouts.
You must study common core math?

Hodgepodged only if the op isn't the original owner.
Old 09-25-17, 06:44 PM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice friction shifters (not sure if original), Sugino crank (appears to be upgrade), and I'll try to replace with same model derailleur with a different attachment. Not original owner.