Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Paul crankset on 109 bb

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Paul crankset on 109 bb

Old 10-06-20, 12:12 PM
cuisinero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul crankset on 109 bb

Hi everyone! Im new to fixed gear or cycling in general. I currently ride a steamroller with sugino 75 paired with hatta swan bb. Now i recently purchased paul royal flush crankset. It says they require 110.5 to 111 bb. I guess that equates it to the pauls 44mm chainline. Now my question is, is it okay to still use my 109 hatta swan bb for this paul crankset? Will this still maintain a 42 chainline like what i had with sugino 75? Am i gonna f things up if use 109 bb as oppose to the recommended 111? Thank you very much for your time.
Old 10-06-20, 12:39 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
should work fine, you are talking 1mm on either side.
Old 10-06-20, 05:02 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
What size chain? 3/32" is very forgiving.

Last edited by TugaDude; 10-06-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 05:07 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
should work fine, you are talking 1mm on either side.
Sorry to be contrary but I actually have a crankset that specifies a 111mm bottom bracket. And I got a new BB with a 110.5mm spindle using the same of type thinking - that its only a 1/2 a millimeter (total even) difference. And it ended up that my allowances are actually really tight. In fact depending on if I use a bigger ring, I even have to adjust my BB axle a little bit to that side to keep the teeth off the stay. I have gotten it a little wrong before and the end of the other arm was "tinking" on its stay, but it hasn't assploded...yet

You probably should consider your crankarms' Q factor in your calculation. A big name like Pauls shouldn't be too hard to find. To be honest, my crank is known to have a low Q factor that likely contributes to my situation...
Old 10-06-20, 10:34 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Stick with your 75s. Paul cranksets are often problematic, which is why they are no longer being made.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 10-07-20, 09:59 AM
cuisinero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your help. Here’s whats going on now. I Went ahead and install the crankset with my old hatta 109 bb. I didn't know i was in for a surprise. Chainline ended up at 47.5mm. Smh!?! With 42 at the rear, thing sounded awful. Shouldn't the chainline be lesser than 44 since I'm using a shorter 109 bb than the 111 bb recommended that was rated 44 chainline? Both bb and crankset are iso square tapered. The only thing i can think of that might be the culprit is my bb spindle could be bad that the new paul crankset wont sit flush?!?! I torqued it to what the manual asks for, 300in/lbs. Or maybe the new crankset is a lemon? Im lost. But again thank you all for help.
Old 10-07-20, 10:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Is the Paul a JIS taper or ISO taper? The Sugino 75 is an ISO, not the far more common (for Sugino, Shimano and other Japanese crankset makers) JIS - the Japanese standard. Sugino went ISO for their top of the line track crankset so it would be compatible with Campagnolo and other top of the line cranks.

If the Paul has a JIS taper, that would explain the chainlne being far off. If JIS, any cheap Shimano BB wil work just fine.
Old 10-07-20, 10:28 AM
cuisinero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is the Paul a JIS taper or ISO taper? The Sugino 75 is an ISO, not the far more common (for Sugino, Shimano and other Japanese crankset makers) JIS - the Japanese standard. Sugino went ISO for their top of the line track crankset so it would be compatible with Campagnolo and other top of the line cranks.

If the Paul has a JIS taper, that would explain the chainlne being far off. If JIS, any cheap Shimano BB wil work just fine.
It says its ISO. Manual calls for ISO spindle taper like campagnolo. Even recommends phil wood 110.5 campy taper, campagnolo 111 track and campagnolo 111 ACH.
Old 10-07-20, 11:13 AM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
Paul and 75's are both ISO. That being said, I would've just stuck with the 75's, they're much nice cranks than Paul's.