Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stupid Strava entries

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stupid Strava entries

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 12:14 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Stupid Strava entries

It's amazing what some folks upload to Strava. Of the people I follow, one of them titled an "activity" as "Cleaning the house." That must've been a high intensity cleaning. Another one went to the mailbox and put it on Strava. His mailbox is only about 100 feet from the house. Any of you seen anything like this?
Likes For dieselgoat:
Old 02-10-21, 12:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Cool story I guess. Tracking for personal use is fine but I don't care what anyone else has done even if super epic. I had a former friend who kept trying to get me to join and I was like I just don't care. I ride for fun, I am not training or trying to spell out anything on my ride. People love to post their inane B.S. on their social media, it is what that stuff is made for.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-10-21, 12:25 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I get the venting, but honestly I just scroll past that stuff, or if it's a good friend I'll throw some shade.

For S&G, I'll track mowing the lawn or snow removal.... not a serious workout in my book, just stupid stuff. OTOH, I rarely track my daily dog walks.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-10-21, 12:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wouldn't post it on Strava, but if I had a hard day doing yard work or something, I would estimate a TSS and log it into Training Peaks because I wanted to account for fatigue appropriately. Same with skiing.

Now I see that Strava has both downhill and XC skiing options, but if they added yard or house work, I must have missed it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-10-21, 01:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Can't not laugh at "Unboxing items". It's exercise to some I suppose. Hilarious.
Old 02-10-21, 01:41 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
My watch autouploads activities. I could set it to have a longer delay before it starts recording walks, but sometimes, when I go for walks with the kids, they ask how far we've gone and I like to be able to give them the whole distance, not that distance minus 15 minutes. Other that that, I don't care enough to **** with the default settings.
Old 02-10-21, 01:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I number of folks I don't follow on Strava because their entries are boring- the same route repeated endlessly.

Perhaps the housecleaner is also not worth following.

Personally, anything under 3 miles does not get recorded.
Old 02-10-21, 02:02 PM
himespau 

Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
I added an entry to my Strava of me cutting the grass in my yard. I cut about 1.25 somewhat hilly acres with a 21" fwd mower (more like an assisted push mower), and I wanted to see how far I was walking during the time it took me to cut the entire yard. I was rather surprised to see that it was a hair over 5 miles!
your boring is my interesting.
I've been known to do the same thing with a shopping trip just out of curiosity. Usually it doesn't work because the building blocks the GPS and holding the cart blocks the step counter. I don't really assume anyone other than me is going to look at my data (because why would they care), so I do stupid stuff like that if it interests me.
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-10-21, 02:11 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Strava has a mute button.
You don't even have to unfollow someone, you can just put them on mute and not see any of their activities. Unmute at any time.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-10-21, 02:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Ride with gps didn't used to separate indoor from outdoor rides. So searching for rides would show a little blob of activity at someone's house.
Old 02-10-21, 03:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Why so serious?

I mean, it's Strava, fer chrissake.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 08:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
It's amazing what some folks upload to Strava. Of the people I follow, one of them titled an "activity" as "Cleaning the house." That must've been a high intensity cleaning. Another one went to the mailbox and put it on Strava. His mailbox is only about 100 feet from the house. Any of you seen anything like this?
Yeah, there's nothing worse than people using social media as ... social media.

P.S. Maybe you shouldn't follow those people.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-10-21, 09:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I log my indoor trainer rides to Strava because I use it as a training log, but I mark them "private" so that others don't have to see them.

But yeah, I know a guy who logs his yardwork and such in Strava and leaves it on "public." Weird, but harmless.
Old 02-10-21, 11:30 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Some people have a health/activity program at work that provides an incentive like points to do a certain number of "activities" every day or week. Points can be exchanged for stuff or, in some cases, gift cards. So they're gaming the system with the walk to the mailbox.

It's also possible that Strava is getting a secondary feed from their activity tracking app/device that they set up in case they do any real workouts and they don't realize what's being replicated.

Or not.
Old 02-11-21, 03:20 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
I use Strava for my cycling, nothing else. I walk about two miles a day but I don’t use Strava for that. It is about a mile to my local coffee store , so I walk and get a cup of coffee every working day. The main reasons I use Strava is to set goals for my self and to keep track of mileage on my bikes. I have a few bikes(yea I’m one of those) and it helps with maintenance and rotation. I also have follow buddies in different parts of the country and that is interesting. I don’t do Facebook , I use this forum and CR for that, it’s all about cycling to me.
Old 02-11-21, 03:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Strava is just social media with more data and less drama. Some of my friends post everything they do. I might offer a kudo or comment if I know they're gong through some difficulties, whether recovering from injuries or depression, etc. If they're engaged in some physical activities, that's a good thing so I'm happy to chip in an attaboy.

Heck, when my mom was alive, a walk to and from the mailbox was a big deal. Between her arthritis, scoliosis, multiple joint replacement surgeries, etc., that 200 yard round trip was quite a challenge.

In that respect it's a lot like Facebook, and most of my meatspace friends log/humblebrag to both Strava and FB. That's fine with me. I figure the whole point of Strava is to encourage and challenge each other. If not, there are other apps.

I walk a lot for errands but rarely post those publicly, although I do log them to remind myself whether I need a rest day before a hard workout. But I don't need kudos for a one mile walk to fetch cat food. If it's a one mile run to tackle a PR, sure, I'll post that. Occasionally I'll combine errands and long walks, so if my shopping trip involves a 5-10 mile walk, sure, I'll log that. Walking earned newfound respect for me a couple of years ago after I was hit by a car and off the bike for a few months. Took a lot of walking and physical therapy to manage walks longer than 2-3 miles without lower back and hip pain. Now I routinely walk or jog 3-7 miles a couplafew times a week, but it took a lotta work to get to that point.

Map My (Run/Walk/Ride), etc., might better suit folks who are less interested in miscellaneous physical activities, and it seems to discourage sharing to Strava by making the process as opaque as possible. But I noticed when I re-installed Map My Walk/Run this week after a couple of years of not using the apps, they also seem to be encouraging a bit more of a social media vibe.

The Cyclemeter app has zero social media connections, no community, nothing. Just a serious, configurable app. It can sync activities pretty easily to Strava, for folks who want that. And Cyclemeter may be among the most private apps. All data is stored on the user's device, nowhere else unless the user specifically chooses to share/upload it, according to the developers.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-11-21 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 06:52 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
If it’s not on strava it didn’t happen.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-11-21, 07:06 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I just assumed it was a joke.

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-11-21, 07:53 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I am trying to get my walked everyday badge bro,
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 02-11-21, 08:12 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
The OP could have left the last word off of the thread title.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 02-11-21, 08:28 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I don't care who they are ... that's grounds for automatic UNFOLLOW
Old 02-11-21, 08:39 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'm the only person I can guarantee will see my Strava entry so anything I upload is primarily for me and anything I write on my entry is for me to read later. I don't think I would ever upload an activity like lawn mowing or house cleaning, even if I made it private.

On the other hand, I have a friend who wants to do more physical activity but has two young kids. She posts activities of her walking inside her house for an hour.

My friends list on Strava is small enough that I can reasonably judge the relevance of different people's efforts.
Old 02-11-21, 09:00 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Just a fun thread, I thought. I don't lie awake at night thinking about my friends' Strava posts. I just think some of them are funny. For those of you who added some of your favorites, thanks. For those of you who said, 'maybe I should keep scrolling'-maybe you should have too.
Old 02-11-21, 09:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
I added an entry to my Strava of me cutting the grass in my yard. I cut about 1.25 somewhat hilly acres with a 21" fwd mower (more like an assisted push mower), and I wanted to see how far I was walking during the time it took me to cut the entire yard. I was rather surprised to see that it was a hair over 5 miles!
your boring is my interesting.
I did the same once with my riding mower. Turns out I did 6 miles of circles in my yard.
Old 02-11-21, 09:34 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Geez, I feel bad for my "followers" when I subject them to an endless stream of Zwift rides all winter long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.