Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Let's hear it for your LBS ...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Let's hear it for your LBS ...

Old 02-16-21, 04:50 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Many dealers are getting up to 40% increases on wholesale prices. This will be passed along. Also most of the industry forums are showing that a lot of IBD are getting squeezed to death.... example: you place an order with the OEM in early booking. Say you take 200 bikes. You get the freight discount because you are over the "6" bikes they require for free freight. Then they don't have product so they ship bikes as they get them. They may only have 4 of the bikes they ordered show up so they ship them. Then they hit the dealer with the freight charge for each bike because they were "under the min" for the freight allowance. Freight is now coming down at $60/bike for most. Almost all dealers are in agreement that they will be adding a "destination/assembly" fee on to bike sales to pick up this extra cost.

Only going to get more fun.

I paid the shipping for the bike I just picked up from LBS. I think it was 60 bucks.
Old 02-17-21, 09:20 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
My take away from all of this: you are hoarding those 9170 shifters in your drawer
No one has those.... In fact I've actually rifled through all the Shimano I had (what little of it). This whole industry spent years pushing us to a JIT model for inventory by having everything available to us at all times and within a 1 day transport. Between the massive availability and the fact that we were being offered wholesale pricing that was sometimes more than online bike shop's retail pricing it's no wonder that we all stopped stocking things.

This year will cause a lot of bike shops to simply go out of business. Says a lot. Most interest in bicycles since the oil crisis of the 70's and bike shops are going out of business.

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I paid the shipping for the bike I just picked up from LBS. I think it was 60 bucks.
That's what most of us are being charged for freight to the store for each bike. Looks like they just did a pass through on it. Well done. Also thanks for not starting a thread on here about how your bike shop gouged you for a shipping cost.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-17-21, 10:59 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
No one has those.... In fact I've actually rifled through all the Shimano I had (what little of it). This whole industry spent years pushing us to a JIT model for inventory by having everything available to us at all times and within a 1 day transport. Between the massive availability and the fact that we were being offered wholesale pricing that was sometimes more than online bike shop's retail pricing it's no wonder that we all stopped stocking things.

This year will cause a lot of bike shops to simply go out of business. Says a lot. Most interest in bicycles since the oil crisis of the 70's and bike shops are going out of business.

That's what most of us are being charged for freight to the store for each bike. Looks like they just did a pass through on it. Well done. Also thanks for not starting a thread on here about how your bike shop gouged you for a shipping cost.
I considered it...

Things costs what they cost, and a 60 charge to actually have a bike show up 2 weeks from ordering isn't bad at all.
Old 02-21-21, 02:54 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My LBS is outstanding - Rock on Wheels in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I didn't purchase any of my three bikes there. The Diamondback was $7.50 at a Goodwill Store, the Rock Combo a swap with a friend, the Specialized Tarmac found on Craigslist when ROW had nothing in inventory. Regardless, George has helped my with bike fit, major and minor repairs, and several of the legendary five minute fixes to get me back on the road. I am always treated well, my stupid questions answered with patience, and decent prices for repairs or accessories.
Old 02-21-21, 06:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
My LBS is outstanding - Rock on Wheels in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I didn't purchase any of my three bikes there. The Diamondback was $7.50 at a Goodwill Store, the Rock Combo a swap with a friend, the Specialized Tarmac found on Craigslist when ROW had nothing in inventory. Regardless, George has helped my with bike fit, major and minor repairs, and several of the legendary five minute fixes to get me back on the road. I am always treated well, my stupid questions answered with patience, and decent prices for repairs or accessories.

Awesome story but you have a RockCombo??? I wanna see it. Those were dope bikes and I had sort of forgotten about them until recently.
Old 02-21-21, 06:27 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

As per request, here's my Rock Combo. As you probably know, there were only 500 made in 1989. My friend bought it new from a shop in Fort Collins, Colorado. It's my go to bike for gravel roads and two tracks.

Likes For Inusuit:
Old 02-21-21, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
As per request, here's my Rock Combo. As you probably know, there were only 500 made in 1989. My friend bought it new from a shop in Fort Collins, Colorado. It's my go to bike for gravel roads and two tracks.

Yes a rare beast but a cool bike. It is really a shame they didn't catch on quite like Spesh hoped but I think Spesh is sometimes a little early to the party on gravel and then kind of a little quick to leave with their steel offerings.
Old 02-22-21, 10:03 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts

Great bike. Lot of updates I would make to it and possibly make it my daily but that's me. Don't let the gravel guys see it. they might start to realize we've done all this before.

Old 02-22-21, 11:58 AM
Inusuit

Great bike. Lot of updates I would make to it and possibly make it my daily but that's me. Don't let the gravel guys see it. they might start to realize we've done all this before.
It fits my needs fairly well as it is. I'm 76, recreational/fitness rider, have a good road bike and a mountain bike suitable for what I do on one. I've had all the bearing serviced, new cables, and bar wrap on the Rock Combo. Tires seem okay for gravel/dirt roads. Front suspension would be nice to deal with washboard roads.

What upgrades would you recommend? I suppose the drive train could be improved?