Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

25 and 28mm tires measuring the same on the rim?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

25 and 28mm tires measuring the same on the rim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 10:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
How new or old are each of the tires? An old 25mm stretched out some might measure closer at first to a brand spankin new 28mm of the same tire.

Give that 28mm a month or two, it'll grow.
Old 03-01-21, 06:43 PM
strayduck
Faster!

Bikes: Breezer Thunder, Breezer Venturi, Merlin Works CR 6/4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More good stuff.

mstateglfr Like yourself, I was also thinking that putting a larger size of the same make/model of tire on the same rim would, indeed, give me a few extra mm but I'm learning that is not always the case.

To ​​​Wildwood 's point of N+1 I do also have a gravel bike that has some 32mm Continental 4 season slicks on some Zipp Course 30 rims and they measure 32.4mm. The combination of wheels, tire width and stiffness make a pronounced difference in feel; the gravel bike feels slow as hell getting up to speed but OTOH that extra air volume really works. Over some thousands of miles, I've broken a spoke but not had a pinch flat, or anything that felt like it almost was.

I'll report back in a month or two with news of whether or not the "28mm" 5000s has stretched at all.
Old 03-02-21, 07:40 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I think there must be a lot of variance between the sizes of different manufacturers. The ostensibly 700x28c Specialized Armadillos I have on my bike now are considerably narrower than the Vittoria Randonneurs and Kenda Kwiks that I used to run (it's extremely obvious considering that I used to use 28/32 tubes but now I use 23/25 tubes without any issues.
Old 03-04-21, 11:20 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by strayduck
Last year I switched from 23mm tires on box rims to some 25mm Continental 5000s on some 2019 Zipp 303 rims and enjoyed the added comfort but ended up with a few pinch flats that I didn't love. So I thought, why not keep going and throw some 28mm on? So I bought some and they measure almost identically to the 25s using my Park Tools DC-1!

25mm tire: 27.7mm wide
28mm tire: 28.01mm wide

As for the height, it was kind of hard to measure the inflated height of the tire alone so I used the clamp to measure from the inside of the rim to the top of the tire:

25mm tire: 70.74mm
28mm tire: 69.72mm

Has anyone else experienced this?

If I'm aiming for optimum tire pressure using https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure it looks like I'm using the same calculation for both, which just doesn't seem right.

Be glad the 28mm are a little wider. I went from 25mm gp4000 to 28mm Gravel kings and lost a mm.
Old 03-22-21, 11:04 AM
strayduck
Faster!

Bikes: Breezer Thunder, Breezer Venturi, Merlin Works CR 6/4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I'll be derned. I let my 28's sit around for another month with normal tire pressure and they did, indeed, get wider! I took some measurements today and got readings from 28.41 to 28.85! Interestingly, the 28's were slightly easier to put on the rim than the 25s so I think these are now my go-tos for the time being.

Likes For strayduck: