Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Flying with a folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Flying with a folder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 08:54 AM
Coldhands

Bikes: LHT + 650b MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flying with a folder?

I've read a bit online - but maybe you guys have direct experience with this. The main reason I want a folder is to travel with it and that's going to involve flying at some point. Can I just stick it in a thick clear plastic bag (protecting the sensitive areas with cardboard etc) and check it in or will airlines say 'that's a bicycle' and try to charge you something? In your experience are airline/bus/train etc staff any bit hostile to folders? I'd love to hear your experience!
Old 07-09-16, 09:07 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
If they know it is a bicycle, they will charge you extra. Yesterday I took my daughter to an airport with her 6-pack broken down in a bag. If she had not insisted that it wasn't a bicycle she would have been charged extra (it was "camping equipment").

from here
Old 07-09-16, 09:07 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
If you're flying, you want to go in stealth mode. That means you have your bike in some type of case or at least a non-transparent bag.

When I've flown with a folder - especially overseas - you must avoid the 50 lb. international weight limit for bike + case at all costs, even if it means removing parts from your bike and sticking them in your carry-on. Once you exceed the 50 lb. weight limit, you're socked with all kinds of overage charges.

If you're asked what's inside the bag, you can always say "wheelchair parts" or "medical equipment" or whatever obfuscation comes to mind. I avoid saying "bicycle parts" because once you say the word "bicycle," you'll automatically be upcharged by most carriers.

I've found that if my folder is in a suitcase and doesn't exceed the 50 lb. weight limit and the 62" maximum dimensions, they typically don't ask what's inside.
Old 07-09-16, 09:37 AM
Coldhands

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bargainguy, what was your procedure to protect and hide the bike while traveling? Were you with panniers also?
Old 07-09-16, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ticket Counter people have demanded the passenger open the case .. they are who will charge the fee,

TSA is further down the line , they may want to see in it for security assessment.
Old 07-09-16, 05:11 PM
bargainguy

I traveled with my various Bike Fridays in a suitcase, either the Carlton, Samsonite Oyster, or Samsonite F'lite. Always under the 50 lb. weight limit, and with the exception of the F'lite, within the 62" maximum dimensions limit. Now we get into a different situation with the F'lite. Technically it exceeds the 62" limit by 1/2-1 inch. But as long as the case is under the 50 lb. limit, they generally don't measure. Once it exceeds the weight limit, they tend to get the tape measure out. Much depends on how busy the airport staff is. If I'm taking the F'lite, I get into the longest line possible, because they're less inclined to measure when there's a huge line.

I've had TSA inspect my bikes and leave a note. I always leave detailed packing/unpacking instructions with photos taped to the inside of the case lid in case they need to inspect and not jam everything back in there. Once TSA left me their standard inspection notice with a handwritten "thanks for the photos, they helped!" written at the bottom.

Now I know there are folks who shrink wrap their bikes, or wrap them in a few thousand lengths of cling wrap, and what not. For the Brompton, I know it fits inside an Ikea Dimpa bag. But how you'd be able to get around the airlines not noticing there's a bike in said bag or shrink wrap is beyond me unless you're also using something like cardboard which is not transparent. That's why I advise a bag that is at the very least non-transparent. It might be a different situation in countries where bikes are not socked with overage charges just because they're a bike, but in the US, gotta go in stealth mode.

I don't use panniers when traveling. I have a Vaude/Detours Tailwind bag on a frame that attaches to my seatpost and actually works pretty well. Although it's not as handy as a handlebar bag, it's lighter and doesn't require a special brace mounted to the handlebar, so one less bit of fidding with a folder when I travel.

Last edited by bargainguy; 07-09-16 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 06:53 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've had my Bike Friday since '94 and it has been on numerous flights. Since the suitcase it fits into looks like a normal tourist bag I have never been asked about the contents nor do I volunteer that information at the ticket counter. Mine came with the Samsonite Oyster which eventually wore out from rough baggage handlers (no damage to the bike though) and I now have the Carlton. Obviously the TSA inspectors see the contents, but their operation is separate from the airline counters so it doesn't result in any special bike charges.

To avoid questions and possible issues I'd recommend using a suitcase that looks similar to everyone else's luggage.
Old 07-10-16, 08:20 AM
Coldhands

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all - so basically it seems that if you advertise the fact it's a bike - even a folder which is within the requirements for 'normal' luggage, they're going to charge you? I have searched around but can only find airline regulation for normal bikes. If that's the case I'm thinking maybe to buy a carry bag for it and use my camping mat to wrap it around for protection. I was hoping to be able just to throw it in a clear bag (as many seem to think that baggage handlers will treat it better if they know it is a bike instead of an anonymous box or bag). I
Old 07-10-16, 08:25 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Originally Posted by Coldhands
Thanks all - so basically it seems that if you advertise the fact it's a bike - even a folder which is within the requirements for 'normal' luggage, they're going to charge you? I have searched around but can only find airline regulation for normal bikes. If that's the case I'm thinking maybe to buy a carry bag for it and use my camping mat to wrap it around for protection. I was hoping to be able just to throw it in a clear bag (as many seem to think that baggage handlers will treat it better if they know it is a bike instead of an anonymous box or bag). I
Correct. If the person at the counter knows there is a bike in the bag, any type of bike, it will cost about an extra $200USD.
Old 07-10-16, 08:58 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
If you're flying, you want to go in stealth mode.
In which case please remember to remove your helmet and hide it somewhere before presenting yourself and your wheelchair parts at the check in desk.
Old 07-10-16, 03:12 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
If you pack a folder stealthy and check it as regular luggage, my *guess* is that you forfeit any compensation if the airline damages, or even loses, your bike/luggage on the grounds that it was not properly checked in. Having dealt with the hassles of lost/delayed luggage before, I became a carry-on-only type traveler. I would love to air travel with my folders, but would only dare use one of my beaters, but I suppose that might also be advantageous for locking up outside while visiting certain attractions.

I think I'm going to primarily be a Bike Share user for air travel - travel light, low cost, no worries.
Old 07-10-16, 03:21 PM
bargainguy

Originally Posted by reppans
If you pack a folder stealthy and check it as regular luggage, my *guess* is that you forfeit any compensation if the airline damages, or even loses, your bike/luggage on the grounds that it was not properly checked in. Having dealt with the hassles of lost/delayed luggage before, I became a carry-on-only type traveler...
Not sure about this. You don't have to declare your folding bike (if it fits in a standard suitcase) to be eligible for a lost suitcase claim. Assuming your folder is worth that much, you would probably be able to get the maximum reimbursement (with proper receipts of ownership) allowed for the lost luggage should it come to that. One reason I put all kinds of identifying info inside the suitcase, on the off chance it winds up where it's not supposed to.

I've never had an airline lose my folder, but I have had it delayed. On a trip from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare, my folder did not arrive with me. It was hand-delivered to me the next day via courier.
Old 07-10-16, 07:20 PM
reppans

Not sure about this. You don't have to declare your folding bike (if it fits in a standard suitcase) to be eligible for a lost suitcase claim. Assuming your folder is worth that much, you would probably be able to get the maximum reimbursement (with proper receipts of ownership) allowed for the lost luggage should it come to that. One reason I put all kinds of identifying info inside the suitcase, on the off chance it winds up where it's not supposed to.

I've never had an airline lose my folder, but I have had it delayed. On a trip from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare, my folder did not arrive with me. It was hand-delivered to me the next day via courier.
I'm not a lawyer but I have worked in business, and with enough lawyers, long enough to know that businesses protect themselves quite well, and will avoid paying money when they don't have to. My original post was based on this intuition, but now that you question it, I spent a little time looking into it - if nothing else, for my own edification.

If there are any lawyers here please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding when you buy an airline ticket you agree to the airline's "Contract of Carriage," which is probably referenced in the fine print on the back of the ticket. In Delta's CoC (just as an example, I'm sure they're all essentially the same), Rule 190, Section F.1.j. (page 32), under "Acceptance of Fragile, Perishable, or Precious Items", "bicycles" are identified as "unsuitable for checked baggage, and will not be accepted as baggage."

Section H.1.2. (page 36), however, does separately cover bicycles as checked baggage, but with that egregious $150 fee, of course.

So, do you still think you stand a chance claiming compensation for a lost or damaged bicycle when stealthly checking a folder in a standard 62" suitcase? JIMHO, you will get compensation for the outer suitcase/luggage... but zero for the bicycle. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

https://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...dom.pdf#page27

EDIT: Also, if the baggage is lost and the airline agrees to compensate you, any thoughts about claiming other "clothing and personal effects" of equivalent value could potentially end up in a fraud case, if that luggage were subsequently found.

Last edited by reppans; 07-10-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 08:07 PM
bargainguy

You're quoting Delta, one of the most restrictive of all the airlines when it comes to flying with bikes. So sure, you could lose your ability to get the cost of the bike back if you don't claim it. But....

In all my travels, I've never lost a folder. I refuse to live in fear that I will, I don't fly Delta anyway, and while it's certainly possible that my folder will get lost or stolen, my extra efforts at leaving all kinds of contact info within the suitcase make this possibility remote at best. After all, there is a certain freedom in flying with a bike as checked luggage and being able to use said bike at the destination, dovetailing with public transport wherever you want to go. One of the reasons I got into folders in the first place.

So if you want to not fly with your folders, feel free. The OP asked for advice and I gave it. Not interested in raining on his parade, and I hope your admonishment that you might not get your bike back and/or be compensated for it doesn't deter him from flying with it.
Old 07-10-16, 08:16 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Can I just stick it in a thick clear plastic bag (protecting the sensitive areas with cardboard etc) and check it in or will airlines say 'that's a bicycle' and try to charge you something?

Yes, you can pack your bike this way. But I wouldn't recommend it. Depending on airline; bicycle surcharge(applies to folding & non-folding) and risk of damage. Even if the baggage handlers are careful - there's always a chance it might fall or get stuck on the conveyor belt.

In your experience are airline/bus/train etc staff any bit hostile to folders? I'd love to hear your experience!

I don't like confrontations & arguments. This is why I always have my bike in a cardboard box or suitcase. Folding bikes must be covered at all times on Japanese trains:

Have flown over a dozen times with different bikes(Brompton, Tobukaeru, Citizen Tokyo) to various destinations.
Always used a cardboard box or luggage; never had to pay overweight/oversize charges. "What's in the box?"
Me: "Sports equipment." Never had to pay the bike fee.

2013 Citizen Tokyo in a suitcase by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 07-10-16, 08:30 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YMMV but I've traveled quite a lot with my folder ( Dahon Mu P24 ) using EVA Air ( asian carrier ) and a few times on Alaska Airlines . I have never been charged a penny . Having said that on Alaska I was very careful not to exceed it's weight limitation for a checked bag . It is unclear if they knew it was a bicycle, as I sure didn't say anything one way or another. Also for preparation , I always removed the rear derailuer then secured it to the frame with any kind of tape to avoid damage.
It's a great way to go, I'm sure you'll be glad you brought yours along. Good luck . Oh and most importantly , when checking in , smile a lot, be happy , the agent can make your life easier , and it's nice in any case .
Old 07-10-16, 08:59 PM
reppans

You're quoting Delta, one of the most restrictive of all the airlines when it comes to flying with bikes. So sure, you could lose your ability to get the cost of the bike back if you don't claim it. But....

In all my travels, I've never lost a folder. I refuse to live in fear that I will, I don't fly Delta anyway, and while it's certainly possible that my folder will get lost or stolen, my extra efforts at leaving all kinds of contact info within the suitcase make this possibility remote at best. After all, there is a certain freedom in flying with a bike as checked luggage and being able to use said bike at the destination, dovetailing with public transport wherever you want to go. One of the reasons I got into folders in the first place.

So if you want to not fly with your folders, feel free. The OP asked for advice and I gave it. Not interested in raining on his parade, and I hope your admonishment that you might not get your bike back and/or be compensated for it doesn't deter him from flying with it.
I didn't cherry pick Delta, it just happened be the 2nd airline I looked at that provided a detailed CoC. First tried United, but didn't find theirs - I'd bet these CoC are more similar, than different, between the various airlines... but I'm not going bother researching that one.

No need to be defensive, I am in no way attacking yours, or others opinions on the matter. Everyone is free to make their own decisions - as they say, you pay your money (or is this case, not) and you take your chances, and lost/damaged luggage is of course a relatively low risk. I just think that's it's worth the OP, or anyone else, understanding both sides of the coin, which never seems to be mentioned here. Only reason I dug deeper was because you seemed to indicate that my original post was wrong.
Old 07-10-16, 09:41 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have flown several times with my Brompton wrapped in the shrink wrapping service you find at airports. That stuff, while transparent for a single sheet, by the time wrapping is done, you can't see inside at all. It's just an irregularly shaped object. I even several times just threw my bare nude Brompton straight on the belt, just strapped with a luggage strap to make sure it stays together. The 1st time I did that (domestic flight) the desk attendant was worried that my Brompton might damage something else and wanted me to put it in a box. I threw a tantrum of sorts, saying it's no different to a baby stroller, and that worked. The 2nd time I was almost late for my flight and had no time to wrap it and just threw it on the conveyor belt at Kuala Lumpur airport. One of those instances the handlebar was skew with respect to the wheel, but I just straightened it out.
Old 07-10-16, 11:03 PM
reppans

You're quoting Delta, one of the most restrictive of all the airlines when it comes to flying with bikes...
Originally Posted by reppans
I didn't cherry pick Delta, it just happened be the 2nd airline I looked at that provided a detailed CoC. First tried United, but didn't find theirs - I'd bet these CoC are more similar, than different, between the various airlines... but I'm not going bother researching that one....
OK, I stand corrected... I did looked up United's CoC, and then the top 5 US airlines, because United WAS different.

United, American, and Southwest do specifically mention that bicycles packed within the 62"/50lbs limitation are considered covered baggage, and they are NOT subject to the excess $150 bicycle charge, just the regularly 1st or 2nd baggage chargers, if any, but provided the bicycles are packed properly (eg., hardcase definitely, cardboard maybe depending upon airline, and handbar/pedal/seat removal, etc). It would be in our interests to declare it with these airlines if asked (although probably not required), with a digital PDF of the CoC in case they try and slap you with the $150, that way you should be covered for loss or damage** through your regular ticket price.

Delta and Jet Blue appear to consider bicycles (outside of their $150 bicycle charge) as fragile and non-covered baggage so it looks like we are out luck with them. (Bargainguy is right about Delta and I was wrong about airline consistency )

** - I'm not sure if I have this right, but it also seems that for domestic US travel, a Federal law requires the airlines to provide ~$3500 of baggage liability (enough for a nicely outfitted Brompton). However, for international travel, the baggage liability seems to fall under some Montreal International Act/Agreement providing much less coverage ~$500?

Anyways, I'm no lawyer, so it would be worth spending a few minutes reading up on this yourselves (just google XXXairline + contract of carriage), and strongly consider complying/disclosing with the more lenient airlines. If you are at all worried about loss/damage (as I am)... it won't cost you anything extra, except a little reading time, and maybe ensure your bike is covered up to $3.5 grand. I learned something new, and very comforting, and it may tip me toward flying with my new Brompton... well, at least domestically on select airlines.

Last edited by reppans; 07-10-16 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 07:37 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've travelled with a Bike Friday, with no issues about what it was. But I have learned to check in at the airport rather than online. If you check in online there is sometimes a box that you have to tick if your luggage includes a bicycle. Tick the box, and get dinged the extra charge, regardless of the size of the case. Check in at the airport, no box to tick, no extra charge.
Old 07-11-16, 05:25 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Dahon Speed Uno in S & S Backpack by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Maybe you can try this. Bike is stock except for added brake and stock front tire swapped for Schwalbe Durano Mango, 20x1.10. A bit skinnier than the stock tire. I had to remove the seatpost for a better fit. FOLDED SIZE 30 X 77 X 64 Cm (11.7" X 30" X 25")

Bag's dimensions 26"X26"X10'. Full review of the bag here:
Old 07-11-16, 05:39 PM
Robert C

By the way, the worst is flying in China. They will recharge you at each transfer. Example, I boarded in Zhengzhou with a ticket through to San Francisco and a transfer in Beijing.

At Beijing I was told that I had to pay the bicycle fee again. To make it worse, each time I agreed to pay, the person at the counter made another phone call and the price went up. Eventually they got to a price that exceeded the value of the bike and I walked away from it.

The takeaway, don't transfer flights in China.

Another time, out of Shanghai, I declared the bicycle and they still tried to charge me the oversize fee along with the bicycle fee. Fortunately I was not flying with a Chinese airline and I was able to argue it. But be prepared to argue.
Old 07-11-16, 05:51 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

On my last trip New York to Japan; had a stopover in Beijing, China. Had my bike in a cardboard box -
was treated like any 1st check in; no charge(s).

Nagoya Station by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Have also flown into and out of China; Shanghai to New York City. Had my bike in a suitcase. Was treated just like
an ordinary 1st check in bag - no charges both ways(round trip).
Old 07-11-16, 06:08 PM
Robert C

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
On my last trip New York to Japan; had a stopover in Beijing, China. Had my bike in a cardboard box -
was treated like any 1st check in; no charge(s).

Have also flown into and out of China; Shanghai to New York City. Had my bike in a suitcase. Was treated just like
an ordinary 1st check in bag - no charges both ways(round trip).
Sounds like it went well. I have had very different experiences; but then, to be fair, I have passed smoothly through Chinese airports sometimes too. But longtime China travelers, not just me, are leery of transferring in China. Be aware that it frequently goes wrong.