Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

I just bought...

Old 12-04-17, 02:53 PM
Monkeyfudger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooops, I was just going to leave the old Miche cranks on my Dolan but some Campag Pista cranks and BB appeared via the Postman today...stupidly I didn’t consider the fact I’d need a new BB tool so will have to wait for that to arrive now. Damn they’re pretty!!
Old 12-12-17, 07:43 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Huzzah ! Just in time for the Superdrome closing!

Hoping this plus a set of Keo's will let me retire my old Dura Ace pedals with the funky and expensive cleats and the Errebi straps

Came home to a single new Stayer tire on the front porch as well (wonder where the other one is? )

I ordered a PRO disc/5 spoke combo a bit ago and have had a similar back-ordered experience as @bartek with his Mavic's --- the SD situation has had me so depressed today I'm almost in the mood to cancel the order and keep rolling my Corima 4 spokes that I have had forever ---- with the next closest track 650 miles away in The Springs (Houston is closer, but i'd rather drive to COS than deal with Houston traffic) ---- its hard to justify a new big dollar wheel combo at my level
Old 12-12-17, 07:49 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger
Ooops, I was just going to leave the old Miche cranks on my Dolan but some Campag Pista cranks and BB appeared via the Postman today...stupidly I didn’t consider the fact I’d need a new BB tool so will have to wait for that to arrive now. Damn they’re pretty!!

Great minds think alike --- they work equally well as high end kitchen decoration

plus to justify them - one could always just tell the better half that it is a newfangled pizza cutter you are trying out

Old 12-12-17, 11:11 PM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to come back and say that the EAI cog/DuraAce ring combo with an Izumi V chain was nearly silent while racing last weekend. Given that those are typically noisy chains I'm impressed. They didn't feel any different, but the sound change was huge. Also, we can follow that with my old coworkers position that "Noise is energy that could be used better." and assume that a quieter drivetrain is more efficient. Or maybe all the Japanese stuff just works better together. I dunno.
Old 12-13-17, 02:31 PM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Got myself an enduro machine. Messing around with bars, gonna try these back to back with 37cm scattos on Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg (118.5 KB, 276 views)
Old 12-13-17, 02:41 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
what bars are those?
Old 12-13-17, 03:17 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ergonova Team. I'm usually a classic bend guy but I find these aren't bad and the shape lends itself to riding on the "hoods". There's something about the flare they have which makes them feel good to me. These are 40cm size but in the hooks and at the hoods are they are about 37.5-38cm.

Just after I took the photo the campag chainring bolts I ordered showed up! Now it's all set.
Old 12-13-17, 08:05 PM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
I believe it was friction facts testing that showed that the quietest drivetrain is not necessarily the one with the lowest friction. For example, waxed chains are very fast, but tend to be a bit noisier than the quietest liquid lubed chains.

If I had to hazard a guess why, it would be that the heavier, thicker lubes dampen noise the best, but aren't necessarily the fastest or more efficient because of the viscosity.
Seems like a reasonable hypothesis, but I have wax on this chain. I just wanted to share the revelation with the group. It might be worth a few watts, or not. I don't have a way to test and verify.
Old 12-13-17, 08:48 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
The biggest bonus with wax is the cleanliness when changing gears. I don't think it's the chain or lube specifically that is the noise generator but perhaps the chainrings/cogs. I run DA for both and it has often been commented how quiet my bike is. You don't hear me coming like with other bikes. I've run a few different chains and lubes since on my way to my current sram chain and wax setup and all have been very quiet
Old 12-20-17, 09:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Velo Solo Track Tool (15mm wrench).

I got black:

They are available in lots of fruity colors:

It's really well-made with tight tolerances. Fits the track nuts snugly. It's made of aluminum. I trust that it'll hold up over time. I guess we'll see. I like the fact that it's completely flat on both sides, and not angled like most wrenches. Arrived in Atlanta in about 2 weeks.

It doesn't do anything that my 15mm Craftsman didn't do. I just thought it was cool. It is maybe 1 inch or more shorter than the Craftsman. So far, I'm very happy with the bling purchase

Last edited by carleton; 12-20-17 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 11:25 AM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I bought one of those 3 years ago, my first track instructor said to superglue the backs of our chainring bolts and buy a campag peanut butter wrench. Since I didn't want to pay inflated prices for an old campag wrench I bought the velo solo thing and it's been great. The fact that it's fully enclosed and aluminum means you'll never strip or wear out your nuts.
Old 12-21-17, 11:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I put this Hozan wrench on my Christmas List this year. We will see on Monday if Santa brings it.
Old 12-25-17, 02:46 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
A friend gave me new shoes for Christmas, Giro Empire ACC in white, with the burgundy laces. They fit! And wow are they nicely made. I hope to try them tomorrow.
Old 12-25-17, 03:01 PM
Monkeyfudger

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great shoes, I couldn’t wear anything else now. I’ve never found anything that fits as well (high arches and thin feet) and they’re ridiculously light. I find myself wanting another pair in a different colour
Old 12-25-17, 09:55 PM
DMC707

Just delivered --- but bought a couple weeks ago --- (The disc -- not the Speshy tri spoke ) -- bought the matching 5 spoke too, but it is hung up somewhere in shipping

Gotta admit --- wheel is a tad porky compared to the other uber high end wheels , ---- but dang its pretty from a technical standpoint --- and not a darn thing wrong with Dura Ace cup and cone hubs ---
--- I'm a former experimental aircraft mechanic and the wheel is as pretty as anything ive seen on a 600 mph biz-jets control surface -- much nicer from an aesthetic standpoint from a buddy's Speshy S-Works MTB I had in the shop to compare to

1246 grams --- that's as steady as I could hold 'er while balancing on my gram scale -- track nuts and lockring still intact, this is the full ride

In short --- satisfies my "geek side" with real D-A hubs and awesome workmanship, ----- I'm thinking that the weight of this rig will be inconsequential for my uses --- its heavy but its also been used at the highest levels of the sport --
Old 12-25-17, 11:16 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Haven't bought, but really WANT; these may be the holy grail shoes I've been looking for. Has anyone seen these shoes in the wild?
https://lakecycling.com/products/cx-...nt=45761473161
Old 12-26-17, 07:00 AM
topflightpro

DMC: I'm more interested in the car. Continental? What's the story with that?

BabyPuke: Those shoes look nice. I had a pair of wide Lakes several years ago. They fit well enough, but the BOA system sucked. The price on those shoes is pretty solid too.

Last edited by topflightpro; 12-26-17 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 07:03 AM
topflightpro

Technically, I didn't buy anything, but I did receive some very nice gifts this year, including a Hozan 14/15 ratcheting wrench, BLS straps, and BLS gloves.

Not too impressed with the gloves though. They fit fine through most of my hands. The fingers are a bit short, but that happens to me with a lot of full finger gloves. Where I am completely not impressed is the elastic around the wrist. Not sure why they put any elastic there because it's so loose as to be useless. It's like the gloves are made for people with giant wrists and tiny hands.
Old 12-26-17, 11:08 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by topflightpro
DMC: I'm more interested in the car. Continental? What's the story with that?

BabyPuke: Those shoes look nice. I had a pair of wide Lakes several years ago. They fit well enough, but the BOA system sucked. The price on those shoes is pretty solid too.
Shoes look good ---- having to return to the Netherlands for fit issues would not be fun though, but that's how it is with any of us needing wide shoes ----
Bought a pair of Mega width Sidi's in 46 a few months ago --- they sat on the shelf for a while before I tried them on, --- now I have to wear socks as I really could have gone with a 45.5 or even a 45 ---- and due to the time lag , I forgot where I bought them to pursue a return

The car? -- '86 Town Car -- I don't have any solo pics of it and its too blasted cold today to get any, but here's some group photos from when the weather was a tad warmer

Really not much of a story to it on my end, --- I just purchased it from a gentleman who was selling it for his elderly aunt I believe --- low miles and garage kept, but with a little parking lot rash ---
I just got it, had the dents smoothed out with paintless dent repair, nursed the AC system back to health and replaced a bunch of hoses, belts and seals and I keep it rolling on nice days when I want to be cradled in miles and miles of blue crushed velour fabric

-- The real memories with any old car are oftentimes tucked away with the original owner and their families

-- but rollin' the boulevard in it makes one feel like he is in the cast of an 80's mobster movie or something

Old 12-26-17, 11:34 AM
carleton
Elitist

That Town Care is no joke. NICE. I grew up riding in one. I know every inch of them...because I had to wash one every weekend

Thanks for the feedback about the Shimano Pro Disc. It's on my short list of disc options. I still haven't bought one yet. That DA hub is a tried and true workhorse. Easy to service. Replacement parts are plentiful. The Dura Ace nuts are the best in the game. I often will replace the nuts on Formula, Mavic, and Zipp wheels with DA nuts.
Old 12-26-17, 11:42 AM
carleton
Elitist

Among other things, Santa brought me some Nike compression tops and bottoms for both winter and summer workouts.

Now all I gotta do is work on the underlying muscles so I can do them justice

I plan to use the tops to make 2-piece skinsuits using cycling bottoms. I'll use the bottoms for chilly winter and early spring training/racing.

I bought myself a vintage (circa 1947) Singer 201 sewing machine kit, complete with cabinet (desk in which the machine folds into), complete accessories kit, bobbins, and lots of other stuff. I used it to make my wife a tote for Christmas (I'm a pro now, true story). I've made about 7 prototype pedal straps, each better than the previous. All jokes aside, they are empirically better than BLS and the like.
Old 12-27-17, 04:19 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I've made about 7 prototype pedal straps, each better than the previous. All jokes aside, they are empirically better than BLS and the like.
Interesting you say that, seems to be a growing trend. I made some using packaging webbing but I used the axle for securing and it wasn't great. Got a buddy that has just made his first 5 final versions of some he has been working on (cable tie) and they look legit, and based upon the materials they have been made out of they should be strong as hell. Looking forward to giving them a try
Old 12-27-17, 08:15 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Interesting you say that, seems to be a growing trend. I made some using packaging webbing but I used the axle for securing and it wasn't great. Got a buddy that has just made his first 5 final versions of some he has been working on (cable tie) and they look legit, and based upon the materials they have been made out of they should be strong as hell. Looking forward to giving them a try
Yeah, they aren't terribly complicated pieces. If one has the time, materials, sewing machine, and inspiration, they can be made at home. You'll likely spend more than the cost of some BLS or even NJS straps in doing so, though, with the purchase of all of the materials and expense of multiple prototypes.
Old 12-27-17, 08:31 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
that's sweet. I always wanted to learn to sew (something a little more in depth than rough stitches lol) such a useful skill.

I got no cycling goodies for Christmas But considering I sold my Cross bike and some cross wheels, I think it won't be long until I pick up another track bike (I'd like to find a Tiemeyer, always loved those bikes) and maybe a disc front soon.
Old 12-27-17, 11:33 AM
DMC707

Uggghh - late night internet browsing and i noted that the price for 35 Scattos was 299, vs 389 for 37's through an Amazon vendor

They are not here yet and i am already second guessing this one (but also picked up a nice Izumi chain for 58$ - that should definitely be a keeper.

On paper, i am a decent candidate for these short, shallow bars, --- im a Clydesdale (and not in a good way) and struggle with reach issues on almost everything else unless i use short stems.

At 5'8, im not quite one of the 7 dwarves, but the belly to hip angle relationship means i use pretty short stems with conventional bars, - like 70 and 80 on the road bikes, but coupled with 44 bars usually

Top tube on my track bike is a good bit longer than my road bikes (54.5 vs 53) , but then again, track bikes do not have the ever popular " on the hoods" position , so it translates well

In defense of the 35's, they go even shallower than 3t,s shallow depth Ergonova Pro road bars, which i use -- the 37's are roughly equal to that bar in drop

Just another case of a guy with an imperfect chassis chasing a perfect ride .

And now that the Superdrome closure looks inevitable, i dont know why i am even buying more track equipment-- but then again, there are a lot of long distance trackies out there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.