Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bike size

Old 11-27-17, 12:51 PM
westmin99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike size

My son is 5"8" and his inseam is 30inches. I'm so confused as to what size bike. Most bikes are advertised online as 26" or 28". Would one of these be appropriate?
Old 11-27-17, 01:26 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
go to a bike shop. dont ask the internet.
Old 11-27-17, 01:35 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
26” and 28” are wheel sizes.
They are about as useful in determining bike fit as shoelace length is to determine shoe fit.
You can get a crude idea of fit from FRAME size, which ranges from about 14-22”.
If you insist on DIY, do a net search for ”bike fit calculator”. Follow the instructions. Wrenchscience and competitive cyclist have some decent ones.
Old 11-27-17, 01:40 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...ead-first.html
Old 11-27-17, 01:47 PM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by westmin99
My son is 5"8" and his inseam is 30inches. I'm so confused as to what size bike. Most bikes are advertised online as 26" or 28". Would one of these be appropriate?
Choosing the right size bike can definitely be confusing the first time you do it. A few important things to keep in mind: 1) Sizing is not one-size-fits-all across bikes. A "small" from one company or model can be very different than a "small" at another brand or bike. 2) Make sure to understand the difference between wheel size and frame size. It sounds like you've found bikes online that are referencing wheel size, not frame size. Frame size usually is in centimeters and ranges from 48cm to 64cm. 3) Because of all the factors involved, it's best to go to a bike shop to have your son measured/fitted to the bike you want to buy or something very similar. Bike shops will also help answer all the followup questions that will likely come after the fitting as well.

Making sure your son (or anyone wanting to ride) is on a bike that fits them is the most element in making cycling fun/comfortable. Good bikes aren't cheap, it will be worth your time/money to invest in getting fit for the bike you want to buy. Having the wrong size bike won't be comfortable, efficient, or fun.
Old 11-27-17, 06:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by westmin99
As others have said visit an actual bike shop with your son and have your son try some bikes. The cheaper bikes can end up more expensive in the end so if you are looking to save money look at mid-priced stuff generally in the 500+ range. You might find a decent single speed for cheaper but not always.

Hi-ten steel, Shimano Tourney, CST Tires, two bolt stems, quill stems, multi speed freewheels, full suspension bikes for under $1500, front suspension bikes under $800 and any bike that is listed with just wheel size are generally good things to avoid when looking at a new bike because those tend to be a good sign of a low end product. Granted for some of that stuff it is not a hard fast rule but a decent guideline to help you get off to the right start. Feel free to ask the salesperson or mechanic about that stuff.

Avoid online shopping because you won't know if the bike actually fits and cannot really test ride it. Also with bikes bought online you have to get it assembled unless you know what you are doing and have the tools then you can do it yourself. Also Amazon, Wal-Mart and other type sellers that aren't bike focused tend to sell the lowest end bikes at inflated prices (maybe in weight of scrap) Plus when you buy from a shop they will usually give you some free service or at least tune the bike up once you have ridden it for 30-90 days or about 20 hours or so.
Old 11-29-17, 09:27 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hard working bike shop owner will happily help you out.