Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does my bike really make me a black sheep of the community?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does my bike really make me a black sheep of the community?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 02:23 AM
gate28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Are you kidding? Any one with a credit card can go into debt buying an expensive road bike and matching kit. Are they represented by the bike?

Check out the bike, which was used for most of his life: https://vimeo.com/147368628
No I am not kidding. And you, deep down, know that the bike that you ride, represents you, a cyclist.
Old 02-16-21, 02:24 AM
gate28

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gate28
No I am not kidding. And you, deep down, know that the bike that you ride, represents you, a cyclist.
And also, I wish it was 2003 again, they were good cycling days!
Old 02-16-21, 09:33 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
A marketers dream. Ever watch a car commercial?

I own a: road bike, endurance bike, fixed gear road bike, touring bike, mountain bike, SS mountain bike, fat bike and about six project bikes. Only one of them I purchased new. What does any one of about a dozen bikes (that I might be seen riding at any time) say about me?

And also, I wish it was 2003 again, they were good cycling days!
Yesterday was a good day for riding.

Old 02-16-21, 10:55 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I don't have as many bikes or as much experience as many on this forum. My sense of who I am has nothing to do with the bikes I ride or the vehicles I drive.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 02-17-21, 10:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's what I think too.

Cycling, somewhat like American politics, is pretty evenly divided between "Freds" and "poseurs". No matter what you ride, wear or do you are going to fall into one camp or the other and half of us are going to scoff at you. Get used to it. Ride whatever you are comfortable with.

If I were you, I'd probably just get a pair of smooth tread 1.9 tires for your CCM.
You have an excellent point there. The poseurs will always laugh at the Freds, and the Freds will always laugh at the poseurs. And of course there is a vast area in between.

As others have wisely stated just do your own thing and dont worry about what other people think. I have found that most of them dont think anyway.
Old 02-17-21, 10:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, we all look down on your bike, but that's because we're more than 2 feet tall.

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.
And that doesnt bother me at all, because I am not sticking clear up into the wind and having to deal with it as much as you are. On my trike many times I have taken perverse pleasure out of passing up right riders going up hill into the wind. OTOH they leave me behind totally when they take off on some single track that I dont and cant ride on.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-17-21, 10:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

It costs a lot of money to lie down...
OTOH the comfort is worth it.
Old 02-17-21, 10:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Strength and simplicity!!!!
Old 02-17-21, 10:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by ofajen
Yeah, the JC Penney bike was a welded steel frame, single piece steel cranks, steel rims, etc. So definitely heavy but also built to be ridden. Can’t recall, I assume I gave it away, because I outgrew it and it was still running perfectly.

Regarding old computers, Apple and IBM both were consistent in building durable hardware. Our university had IBM 3270 terminals in continuous use for probably at least 20 years. We have lots of 10 and 12 year old Macs that are “archaic” and still have perfectly functioning hardware.

Otto
I have a 1983 IBM PC that was pounded on by three sons. About once a year just for the fun of it, I take it down and play with it. It still works fine, and never once did it have to be fixed.
Old 02-17-21, 10:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Pretty much no one is going to notice on your ride if you have a department store bike.

The problem you're likely to have is speed and reliability. The $100-$200 bikes just tend to fall apart and have issues rather quickly. My dad snowbirds and bought one from walmart thinking "well it's just for a few months and I can just donate it at the end and buy a new one next year for $100". Makes sense. But within 20 miles it was creaking, making noises and starting to fall apart at the bottom bracket, etc. He ended just getting rid of it and buying a new $400 bike and finding someone who let him keep it in their garage over the summer while he's not there.

If you an find a cheaper used bike (that's not a department store bike) that's how people usually try to go cheaper.
The fact of the matter a Dept store or big box store bike almost always has a heavy frame that can be dressed with better components. That heavy frame will undoubtably last for decades. Not race ready, but a survivor!!!!
Old 02-17-21, 10:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Well, we all look down on your bike, but that's because we're more than 2 feet tall.

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.
Originally Posted by rydabent
And that doesnt bother me at all, because I am not sticking clear up into the wind and having to deal with it as much as you are. On my trike many times I have taken perverse pleasure out of passing up right riders going up hill into the wind. OTOH they leave me behind totally when they take off on some single track that I dont and cant ride on.

Different strokes for different folks.
So you responded to my 5 month old post to prove you didn't get the joke? I actually didn't insult your choice of bike at all. Your choice of words, however, was ironic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-17-21, 01:05 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The fact of the matter a Dept store or big box store bike almost always has a heavy frame that can be dressed with better components. That heavy frame will undoubtably last for decades. Not race ready, but a survivor!!!!
That is...really...not true...it is very possible to make/use low quality metal and have a frame that's both heavy and unreliable.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 02-17-21, 02:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
That is...really...not true...it is very possible to make/use low quality metal and have a frame that's both heavy and unreliable.
How can a heavy strong frame with thick welds be unreliable?
Old 02-17-21, 03:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,528 Times in 7,325 Posts
How can a heavy strong frame with thick welds be unreliable?
That’s not what he wrote. Reading comprehension is fundamental.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-19-21, 08:13 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Patience

There are so many garage Queen bicycles out there it might take a couple of years to find the elusive "exceptional deal" but it's out there.

A bit of due diligence on your part will get you to at least the make and model and component group that you desire and if the bike is 25 or so years old and has been a garage Queen most of its entire existence, you might be onto a deal. Go as far back as the 70s in the Gitane or other Euro brands, or you can get into the 90s with say... a Lemond for under a thousand in really good condition.

If you need to bone up on mechanic skills, go down to the local Goodwill and buy a $10 kid bike, strip it down, grease it up put it back together again and give it away to some kid who needs a bike that is now in Tip-Top running condition.
Old 02-20-21, 10:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can’t wait until spring.
But as of today I think it is only 25 days until spring.

Big problem tho. At 82 I have seen a lot of springs. It seems if we have a rather mild Jan, which we did, and rotten cold Feb which we are, we will have a cold wet spring. With his scenario, I remember one year like it that it really didnt get warm and nice till the first of June.
Old 02-20-21, 10:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Speaking of frames, it was the first falsely generated gas crisis when I bought my first 10 speed bike, at Wards of all places. Yes, a dept store bike. Yet the lugged frame was quite light, and built is Austria of all places at the time. The components were cheap tho, the RD was one of the famous plastic ones. I changed it out, and the shifting worked quite well. BTW I still have that plastic RD in my bike parts junk box in the attic.
Old 02-20-21, 12:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
So you responded to my 5 month old post to prove you didn't get the joke? I actually didn't insult your choice of bike at all. Your choice of words, however, was ironic.
It was actually 29 months not 5. But, snappy responses take time, ya know.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-21-21, 11:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

The OP should realize he should just do his own thing and not worry about what other people think or do or say he should do.

In my case I ride a recumbent bike and trike. I like the comfort, and the fact I sit up right and have about a 200 degree view of my surroundings. I catch a lot of flack for what I ride, but it doesnt bother me at all. As with most any subject those that think they are bothering me are wrong. Because to bother me, I would first have to respect their opinion above mine, and I dont.

Do your own thing.
Old 02-21-21, 01:17 PM
tomato coupe

In my case I ride a recumbent bike and trike. I like the comfort, and the fact I sit up right and have about a 200 degree view of my surroundings. I catch a lot of flack for what I ride, but it doesnt bother me at all. As with most any subject those that think they are bothering me are wrong. Because to bother me, I would first have to respect their opinion above mine, and I dont.
No, you don't get flack for what you ride. You get flack for your constant proselytizing about the superiority of recumbents, and telling everyone who doesn't ride a recumbent that they are stupid.
Do your own thing.
Your constant droning is the antithesis of this.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-21-21, 01:37 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Just a casual observation, here. I started riding about three years ago on a bike with straight bars. I ride mostly on residential roads with a fair amount of bike traffic. I wave as I pass by other riders, and when I started riding, most riders would wave back, but not riders riding drop bar bikes. A year and a half ago I bought a new bike with drop bars, and now the drop bar riders will wave back at me. Same rider, same route, same clothing. It appears that riders on drop bar bikes will wave to other riders on drop bar bikes, but not to those who don't have drop bars.It looks like my new bike commands more respect than my old one.
Old 02-21-21, 01:42 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Random11
Just a casual observation, here. I started riding about three years ago on a bike with straight bars. I ride mostly on residential roads with a fair amount of bike traffic. I wave as I pass by other riders, and when I started riding, most riders would wave back, but not riders riding drop bar bikes. A year and a half ago I bought a new bike with drop bars, and now the drop bar riders will wave back at me. Same rider, same route, same clothing. It appears that riders on drop bar bikes will wave to other riders on drop bar bikes, but not to those who don't have drop bars.It looks like my new bike commands more respect than my old one.
Jeep owners acknowledge other Jeep owners. Harley riders acknowledge other Harley riders. Tandem riders wave at other tandem riders. Get it?
Old 02-21-21, 02:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Waving thread!! YES
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-21-21, 02:39 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Jeep owners acknowledge other Jeep owners. Harley riders acknowledge other Harley riders. Tandem riders wave at other tandem riders. Get it?
Got it. But I was somewhat surprised at where the dividing line was drawn. Drop bar riders don't recognize other bike riders as part of their tribe. That's why the OP is a black sheep.
Old 02-21-21, 02:41 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Waving thread!! YES
Sure. But you can also see from this why the OP feels like a black sheep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.