Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-08-20, 09:46 PM
IGH_Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont think everyone should act or exist based on my approach.
I did not say the OP should have my reality.

All I said is that I cant imagine participating in a hobby I dont enjoy. I didnt tell the OP that they need to be like me. I didnt tell the OP they are doing it wrong. All I did was post my view on how I handle hobbies.
If people want to participate in a hobby they don't enjoy, well then ok.

You are 0-2 on criticisms, how about we go our merry ways at this point.
It would be nice if the world were so black and white. Just because one doesn't enjoy the first football game that they've ever been to, doesn't mean they'll never enjoy going to a game. I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

EDIT to add that I did very much enjoy BMXing as a teen which is one of the reasons I started up again.

Last edited by IGH_Only; 11-08-20 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typo and adding additional comment
Likes For IGH_Only:
Old 11-08-20, 09:51 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
It's the first time I have mentioned photos.
You now say it wasn't important, but you said you had to stop at one point because of pain.
I surmised - apparently wrongly - that you finding it hard and even sore enough to stop was somehow influencing your enjoyment of bike rides. But, obviously, those things have no bearing whatsoever on anything.

Yeah, at this point, I feel like this has all been a ruse to fool people. No one in their right mind will beg you to accept help. And you obviously don't want it.
It's not the photos, which I have no motivation to do so I definitely will not, it's the constant reference to fitting. I said in the OP was:

"So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness."

I even called out the soreness as a "digression". Whatever you read into it is on you as I made clear what my issue was. A lack of enjoyment in the riding, all the while feeling a compulsion to ride.
Old 11-08-20, 09:53 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
The thing is, while I know I don't like it, there is a compulsion that I can't explain that forces me to go on rides. I have no idea where it comes from since I don't enjoy it per se. I guess that is the strange dichotomy that I am having a hard time grappling with. Once again, it's not something I hate, and I don't really struggle that much to go 8-10 miles anymore. If I liked it but lacked motivation, then it would be easy enough to put on hold or give up entirely. As it stands, since I almost feel forced to ride for whatever reason I can't explain, I would just like to get more enjoyment out of it.
I still say if you had a reason other than the ride itself, it may help. I love to ride, but if I just go for a ride, it isn't as much fun for me. It isn't about motivation for me either, I just enjoy it more if if I am not just riding to ride. I can ride for hours on end, if there is a reason. I bike tour, I can ride 70 miles in a day and enjoy it, but to just ride, to ride, it isn't as enjoyable for me. If I do ride just to ride, I stop to do photography, or something, stop to eat, or whatever.

Slack off a bit, you may just be overdoing to for the time being.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-09-20, 04:44 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Finding a fitness activity that puts a smile on your face is key here. The choices are endless. Cycling may or may not be for you, and that’s ok. Take a step back until you feel 100%. You should feel comfortable on said bike. Perhaps, it’s a bike fit issue creating some issues. Good luck, and be safe.
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 11-09-20, 05:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

From the very first, freeing pedal stroke!
Old 11-09-20, 05:46 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
It's not the photos, which I have no motivation to do so I definitely will not, it's the constant reference to fitting. I said in the OP was:

"So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness."

I even called out the soreness as a "digression". Whatever you read into it is on you as I made clear what my issue was. A lack of enjoyment in the riding, all the while feeling a compulsion to ride.
So what are some things that you do enjoy? Can you think about what it is about those things that makes them enjoyable, and find similar attributes about cycling (even if you have to change how/what/where you ride)?

And if you just can't ever get to a point where you enjoy cycling, what else could you do that would give you a fitness benefit? I mean - do you like hiking? Running? Swimming?
Likes For billyymc:
Old 11-09-20, 06:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you enjoyed BMX as a teen, why don’t you do something more skills/adrenaline oriented like MTB, dirt jumping or (obviously) BMX?

I know many folks who love mountain biking who find road/street riding completely uninteresting.

Cycling is not like developing a taste for bitter IPAs, where it takes a while to get the point. If you are finding no joy now, it is probably not for you. Getting better will just mean doing more of of something you don’t like.

If riding your 3-speed is not putting a grin on your face, upgrading to a better bike is not going to change that.

And I agree with you that your fit has nothing to do with it, even if it is a bit off.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-09-20 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-09-20, 07:08 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try gravel riding on a FG or SS bike.
I have to admit that since I started riding my SS Langster again (after collecting dust in the corner of the basement for a few years) my interest in cycling perked.
I just traded one of my geared Hybrid's for a chromoly framed SS! I'm excited for the next ride. Only problem is which one do I take

I think the bike you're riding isn't "doing it" for for you.....but like a lot of things in Life, you either Get It or You Don't.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-09-20, 07:54 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
So what are some things that you do enjoy? Can you think about what it is about those things that makes them enjoyable, and find similar attributes about cycling (even if you have to change how/what/where you ride)?

And if you just can't ever get to a point where you enjoy cycling, what else could you do that would give you a fitness benefit? I mean - do you like hiking? Running? Swimming?
I was going to ask the same exact question. I'll also add...

How would you describe your general fitness? Have you participated in aerobic activity recently? Are you 20, 30...60 pounds overweight?

Tell us more about your cycling. You mentioned that there are hills. There are ups-n-downs in the road (general flat terrain), and then there are HILLS. What type of speed do you ride at? How long does it take you to complete your 8-10 mile rides? What type of cadence do you try to maintain?

Getting back to bike fitment that others have brought up...what is your inseam measurement? What is the distance from the middle of your bottom bracket (the enter of rotation of the pedals) to the top of the seat (following the seat tube)? If the saddle is low, and you are mashing on the pedals at 50-60 rpm...I could see why you wouldn't enjoy cycling.

Finally, don't get wrapped up in how cycling enthusiasts enjoy cycling. For example, I go out and ride the longest and steepest hills I can climb and I string them together. It's what I enjoy. My wife on the other hand hates riding on the road and sticks to flat rail-to-trail gravel paths, riding at 10 mph. She loves it. Two very different approaches to riding, but we both get what we want out of it - she's out in nature enjoying the scenery, while I'm out finding my limits in time/speed/distance.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 11-09-20, 09:12 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
One thing that puzzles me is the elbow pain. I can understand muscle soreness but elbow pain to me indicates something fundamentally wrong with either the fit or the type of bike you're riding. Continuing to ride will make your muscles stronger but I don't expect will help with whatever is going on with your elbows. If you don't want to give up on cycling, start addressing the issues that are making it not enjoyable. On the other hand, if you're just bored while out on the bike, it's probably not the right activity for you. Nothing wrong with that.

I started cycling again at 59 on an old 35 pound mountain bike after not having any regular activity for many years. 3-4 miles was a struggle in the beginning but riding made me feel like a kid again and it was pretty easy to stick with it. I progressed in miles pretty quickly and after about 6 months bought a used road bike and started doing longer rides. The saddle on that bike was just wrong for me and I suffered with it for a long time thinking I would get used to it but I never could. I'd be sore after 25 miles and at 40, it was so bad it was all I could think about. Even then, I understood that it was the saddle that was the cause of any lack of enjoyment and not the riding. I finally swapped it and in a short time I was doing 50-60 mile rides. About a year ago, I got a new road bike and had it professionally fit and that has made riding even more enjoyable. I've done a couple of centuries this year and my miles for the year will be way more than any previous year. I never set any goals in terms of mileage. Just out to enjoy the ride.

Hope you can find enjoyment in riding but if not, there are plenty of other ways to stay active. Find one that excites you.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 11-09-20, 09:28 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
His elbow is an underlying medical issue. He explained it in one of his posts where he didn't want to even entertain the notion that adjusting things might alleviate the problem. I seem to remember he said something about it not being a problem (despite it causing him to stop cycling) because it was "only" over bumps, and despite it causing him to pause cycling completely.

But, yes, bigger tyres (not pumped super hard) especially on the front will help some.
Old 11-09-20, 09:32 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
First......get a fitting...you need one.

Second...buy a bike that makes you go "wow" and one that makes you want to ride it. Learn everything about it and learn to maintain that sweet machine. Having something that makes you want to ride it will make all the difference. This translates to more time on the bike which in turn translates to increased fitness and enjoyment.

It's hard to fuel the fire with something that just makes you go "meh" when you look at it or ride it.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 11-09-20, 09:34 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
Hi there - just wanted to go back to your original post to say that mostly people are trying to figure out advice to give you (or ideas on things to try, change, tweak) based on what you asked.

For example, at the beginning you say you've been riding a lot, and bring up elbow and leg pain as an aside, and at the end you say you're wondering about a different type of bike... so people ask you for details/pics of what your riding setup is to try and help! That shouldn't be viewed as a challenge, nor as a surprise.

At any rate, if the MIDDLE paragraph of your post is really the key here, yeah, suggestions from the forum about cycling itself are not likely to help. I guess I'd just ask if there WERE any aspects of it during your rides that you HAVE enjoyed, and if so, focus/expand on those in future rides. [e.g., if you felt good being out in the woods away from traffic, tailor your route to do more of that... or if you hate riding on bumpy paths, find routes that take you through smoother streets... or if you are finding the streets monotonous, look for some hills...]

And finally, maybe add in a companion who also wants to spend some time outdoors exercising. Best of luck!
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 11-09-20, 09:35 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
Get laid before you ride. That should change your mood.
Or, find a riding partner that turns you on, get the endorphins going, enjoy a shower together after the ride, and then get laid. How could you not like that!

On a serious note, sometimes doing things with others is more fun. Find a riding partner or two, and switch it up. Ride alone sometimes when you just need to clear your head or have some alone time. I agree with others on riding different routes, distances, and for different purposes. Also, I'd cut back to three days a week so it doesn't feel like a chore.

As for your elbow, I have the same issue with my right elbow, and it pre-existed my riding. Bike fit won't really change that. Get one of those wraps for tennis elbow and wear it while riding - it will help. If you are lifting your bike on or off a rack, for example, watch how you lift it. That's what aggravates my elbow the most.

Also, you may just not like your bike. Go to the bike store, and try out a few other types. I know I would not enjoy it if I didn't really like my vehicle.

Last edited by Mojo31; 11-09-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-09-20, 09:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Go walk those 8-10 miles.

I think you will find riding more enjoyable.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-09-20, 09:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Very often for me, my minor aches and pains melt away through a combination of endorphins and increased blood flow. And that pain relief can last for days, to the extent that I think a certain amount of healing occurs.

See this topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagy

Exercise has beneficial effects on human health, including protection against metabolic disorders such as diabetes. However, the cellular mechanisms underlying these effects are incompletely understood. The lysosomal degradation pathway, autophagy, is an intracellular recycling system that functions during basal conditions in organelle and protein quality control. During stress, increased levels of autophagy permit cells to adapt to changing nutritional and energy demands through protein catabolism. Moreover, in animal models, autophagy protects against diseases such as cancer, neurodegenerative disorders, infections, inflammatory diseases, ageing and insulin resistance. Here we show that acute exercise induces autophagy in skeletal and cardiac muscle of fed mice. To investigate the role of exercise-mediated autophagy in vivo, we generated mutant mice that show normal levels of basal autophagy but are deficient in stimulus (exercise- or starvation)-induced autophagy. These mice (termed BCL2 AAA mice) contain knock-in mutations in BCL2 phosphorylation sites (Thr69Ala, Ser70Ala and Ser84Ala) that prevent stimulus-induced disruption of the BCL2-beclin-1 complex and autophagy activation. BCL2 AAA mice show decreased endurance and altered glucose metabolism during acute exercise, as well as impaired chronic exercise-mediated protection against high-fat-diet-induced glucose intolerance. Thus, exercise induces autophagy, BCL2 is a crucial regulator of exercise- (and starvation)-induced autophagy in vivo, and autophagy induction may contribute to the beneficial metabolic effects of exercise.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22258505/
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-09-20, 09:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I have pain in one of my elbows on tougher rides. I do pushups. I do them on the stairs because I'm lazy. Also helps with neck pain.

Find a flat place to ride and don't push yourself unless you feel like it.
Old 11-09-20, 09:51 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
what would you rather be doing during that time? Is it something that you enjoy? If so, do that! Do not think a new bike would do it for you
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-09-20, 11:55 AM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Age 74, I learned to love cycling by doing these things:
  1. Replace my 35-pound bike with a light-weight one. I have two with aluminum frames, a 19-pound road bike, and a 25-pound gravel bike that I use most of the time because I feel safer on it. Buying low-end bikes can be counter-productive, as they are not only heavier, but often don't function as well.
  2. Make sure it fits, and that the saddle is not only the correct height, but the correct distance from the handlebar. This took a lot of experimenting to finally get the sweet spot. I also had to raise my bars to take pressure off my wrist that was broken last year.
  3. Build my mileage slowly as I get stronger.
  4. Keep most of my rides to an hour so they don't disrupt my home life too much.
  5. Use a cycle meter app on my phone to keep track of my progress—miles per week, per month, per year.
  6. Set goals—mine is 1000 miles for the year by the end of November. (I had knee replacement in January, so my year got off to a slow start.)
  7. Ride in the most beautiful areas near home. Take photographs. Looking for interesting scenes adds another level of interest while riding. Most smart phones have amazing cameras.
  8. Post the best photographs on Facebook or Instagram, and connect with other cyclists all over the world who are also photographing on their rides. When I get home, I sit in my easy chair to cool down, and edit the best photograph from the ride using Photoshop Express on my phone. It is amazing as you transform and dull image into one that is extraordinary. This adds a big motivation for me, even if I only get one good photograph out of five rides.
Likes For Merrimac:
Old 11-09-20, 09:49 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Have you ever enjoyed cycling?

What made you decide to do it?

As for me, I always loved it. When I got older I got my first "real" bike. I became a hard core roadie. It was the only legitimate way to cycle as far as I was concerned.

Then I got old. I had accumulated a lot of injuries and couldn't get comfortable on a bike. I must have spent a small fortune trying different bikes and different seats, stems, whatever.

Eventually it got to where I couldn't ride. I got a "comfort" bike but I couldn't learn to love riding it because I wasn't a "real" biker. I couldn't go fast, I couldn't go far.

My injuries got so bad I could hardly walk. I had several surgeries which fixed some of my issues but this was over a course of years and I had become very deconditioned.

I finally fought my way back to walking and hiking. I can't backpack anymore because of my shoulder and neck injuries but I can go on a 10 mile hike sometimes and I regularly go 5.

Recently I went on a beach vacation and my friends rented bikes. It was very hard for me to ride them because my knees don't bend well, one is actually replaced, the other is not doing well.

But an amazing thing happened, the 4 miles I suffered on that beach bike was actually therapeutic for my knees and back!!

I got back home and decided that I would dust off my comfort bike if for no reason but to provide an alternative safe exercise for my knees. I started out doing 3 miles. Old me would find that pathetic. New me was glad to be able to move better.

It took a few weeks to get over the saddle discomfort and to make some tweaks but just this week I realized I am enjoying the ride, I haven't even been thinking about my body parts.

I now do about 8-10 neighborhood miles. My neighborhood is pleasant and safe for casual riding, I walk my dogs about 4 miles a day in my same neighborhood.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my casual rides and parts of my body that had atrophied seem to be getting conditioned now. I used to lift weights too but my joints limit what I can do. I've found ways to work out my upper body my my OEM knee will not let me do even one light leg press on a machine. I don't want to have knee replacement surgery again so I don't push it.

I now know that I was full of **** when I thought hard core road riding was the only riding.

If you are not enjoying the ride maybe it's just not your jam. The world doesn't revolve around cycling. It's possible to have an active fulfilling life doing any number of other things. There's surfing, swimming, hiking, kettlebell workouts, resistance band training . . .

You may indeed just be going through a phase of conditioning although the elbow pain is concerning (I've had mine operated on, along with a bunch of other body parts)

I ride a specialized expedition comfort bike, it's pretty upright. It's not like a townie though, the positioning isn't so far forward I can't lift myself off the seat. I actually feel like I'm riding now, I didn't at first, it was like my muscles weren't moving efficiently.

Try slowing down and just enjoy the ride. It helps if you live in a somewhat pleasant neighborhood. I like to look at the houses, I wonder what people are doing. I take notice of the new roofs and critique color schemes to myself. I look around and think of when I started riding and how I just enjoyed the ride without analysing everything.

If that doesn't work find something else that does. It's "ok" to do something besides ride a bike.
Likes For margoC:
Old 11-09-20, 10:15 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
When I first started riding two years ago I rode with a friend that smoked me bad. I had no idea I was in such poor shape. From there I dabbled with the bike a bit and in the Spring of 2019 got outside and rode some. My hands would get numb and shoulders ache. I probably rode 600 miles 2019 then in November of that year started using an indoor trainer.

All last winter I rode over 3000 trainer miles, my hands would go numb in 15 minutes. I tried all kinds of things to get relief and I was beginning to think that because of the numbness I might have to find another hobby. It really was quite bad.

Anyway I stuck with it and now I'm ok. I think a major part of it was conditioning. As adults we should do with our spare time that which makes us happy but if you have a fitness goal and feel that bicycling will help achieve that goal then keep at it and find a solution it is out there.
Old 11-10-20, 02:33 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The secret to planning a good route is this: always go out with the headwind in your face, and finish in the direction with the tailwind. That way you always finish the ride feeling great.
Godd advice which I myself try to stick with, but not applicable in all cases. For instance, if you live on the coast, where most of the time the wind is blowing from the sea, there is no way to go out against the headwind. Either I go out and come back in a crosswind, or I return in the headwind. It actually is not always that bad, but in these cases I must keep in mind that the last miles will be harder and save some energy accordingly. The good thing is that as I'm nearing the finish of my ride, I can judge how much I have left in the tank, and give it all shortly before the end to arrive home in a state of happy exhaustion. Sort of similar to living atop a hill.
Old 11-10-20, 02:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I do the same thing with gradient, do the the climbing during the first part of the ride, so that the way home will be downhill as much as possible.
Old 11-10-20, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Some lessons for the OP here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-20, 07:31 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I'm not the first to say this ... I smile every time I ride. I can be on a bike in the worst conditions and still find joy (pic). I've been using bikes for transportation, recreation, fitness, exploring, and racing my whole life ... it's always been a joy. Bikes might not be for the OP and that's OK. OTOH as many have said get some bike fit help to make sure your bike isn't hurting you and make sure there's not a mechanical issue.

Likes For Hypno Toad:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.