Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

where the bikes ARE in stock

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

where the bikes ARE in stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 02:43 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Handsome Cycles in Minneapolis

I just bought a brand new bike in January and I spent a few months researching where I wanted to buy from. I came across Handsome Cycles in Minneapolis when I bought a pair of their hammered fenders for my 1984 Schwinn World Sport rebuild.

I wanted very much to support a USA based small Bicycle company and I started researching Handsome Cycles, Detroit Bikes, Sole Bicycles, Rivendell Bicycles, Surly Bikes, my budget played a role in my decision and the fact I still wanted to stick with a Steel frame.

I settled on Handsome Cycles and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with co-owner Jesse Erickson about the size and type of bike I was looking for.

I ended up ordering a Handsome She Devil 52cm frame. The frame is 4130 CroMoly. Shipping was a flat fee of $50 and my new bike was built at the beginning of January and shipped to me and I received it on January 13th. I finally had the chance to take it out this weekend for a short ride around the neighborhood and I am totally in love with this bike. I upgraded the saddle and pedals over the stock ones.

I felt their prices were very fair and they have plenty of frames in stock now.

www.handsomecycles.com

Likes For tpadul:
Old 03-01-21, 04:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
tpadul Looks great!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-01-21, 09:40 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Or it could have been sold a day before, or a month before...who knows? Giant could be relying on stores updating the Giant inventory system, or could be basing it on invoices to stores in the past 60 days...who knows? I’d be willing to bet a lot of money, though, that it’s not real-time in-store inventory, and that could also explain why you cannot search store-level inventory. They just don’t have that information, I think.
In my experience it's pretty accurate. Was searching for a Giant bike and found it in three different shops. All of them had the bike on the floor still. Within a day of my purchase, the shop I bought from no longer showed up as available in stock.
Old 03-01-21, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Many shops have bikes but we are out of the cheap bikes that are being bought during the boom. Our shop always had bikes but the ones that were out were the low end stuff. During the 70s people did the same thing. They didn't really want a bicycle but it was the best thing to do so not having a ton of knowledge left them looking for price only, leaving a lot of quality options behind. Though those of us who like bikes and have some knowledge and components and such are in slightly better positions to find what we want. Still major shortages and still hard to get stuff but some dealers are doing a little better especially if they have done well for that brand pre-pandemic.
Old 03-02-21, 10:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I went to Walmart to buy oil for and oil change, and walked by the area they sell bike. They too are very low on bike for sale. It seems that everyone is affected.
Old 03-02-21, 11:01 AM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
I have been to several LBS and they all have bikes, just not in the common sizes. If they do have a bike in a common size it usually a top of the line bike like an S-Works SL7 or similar for roughly $10-$12K.