Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cayne Rambler 3 speed...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Cayne Rambler 3 speed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 10:08 AM
sellanraa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cayne Rambler 3 speed...

So, I'm in Louisville and was immediately drawn to this bike. I'm not a bike rider (not having really ridden since I was 10) but wanted to start for the exercise and commuting to and from work. It rode pretty well and I think I may have them put on hand brakes for a little more control. The issue is that I've not seen any reviews of the Cayne Rambler so I was curious if anyone had any experience with this bike. It's 280 at the shop I went to...I'm not looking to break the bank and would ideally like to spend less than $400 for a nice little bike.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Connor
Old 06-06-08, 10:42 AM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sellanraa
So, I'm in Louisville and was immediately drawn to this bike. I'm not a bike rider (not having really ridden since I was 10) but wanted to start for the exercise and commuting to and from work. It rode pretty well and I think I may have them put on hand brakes for a little more control. The issue is that I've not seen any reviews of the Cayne Rambler so I was curious if anyone had any experience with this bike. It's 280 at the shop I went to...I'm not looking to break the bank and would ideally like to spend less than $400 for a nice little bike.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Connor
For $299 (plus shipping) you could get a Downtube. It comes with a front shock, rear rack and 9 speeds. Here's their website:

www.downtube.com

Hope this helps
Old 06-06-08, 10:45 AM
sellanraa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like this forum really likes Downtubes and they do look cool. The issue is that I'm pretty hesitant to purchase a bike without having ridden it. Thanks though for the tip! Hopefully someone actually has interacted with the Rambler...it seems no one has though!
Old 06-06-08, 01:04 PM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It seems like this forum really likes Downtubes and they do look cool. The issue is that I'm pretty hesitant to purchase a bike without having ridden it...
I can completely understand you not wanting to buy a bike w/o riding it (or seeing it for the matter), but Downtube does offer to let you send it back if you don't like it.
Old 06-06-08, 02:02 PM
TiberiusBTkirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wasn't it just last year when the Dahon curve 3spd was going for around $320?
I would consider this bike due to it's simplicity of the 3spd internal hub.
A dahon boardwalk S1 is going for around $239 where I am.
Been through the derailleur bikes and now want something simpler.
Maybe that's why there's a SS/fixed gear craze.
Old 06-07-08, 04:31 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Connor
You are well on the way to locate the right folding bike for you. You have seem to determine that you want a folding bike, know what amount of money to spend it on, and what you intend to use it for. I myself never even heard of the Cayne Rambler, but that is not the sole reason I would pass on that bike. I tend to favor bikes with a known brand name on it, supported (or even better) purchased at a good bike shop, and well made with good components.

It seems like this forum really likes Downtubes and they do look cool. The issue is that I'm pretty hesitant to purchase a bike without having ridden it. Thanks though for the tip! Hopefully someone actually has interacted with the Rambler...it seems no one has though!
In all my Websites on the World Of Folding Bicycles, I could not say enough about buying a bike that you have not test ride beforehand-especially if you are new to folding bikes. I took a chance with my first folder-my Boardwalk. I am very happy with it and still have it today. That is why I can safely tell others about buying the Boardwalk S1 for their first folder.

Originally Posted by TiberiusBTkirk
wasn't it just last year when the Dahon curve 3spd was going for around $320?
I would consider this bike due to it's simplicity of the 3spd internal hub.
A dahon boardwalk S1 is going for around $239 where I am.
Been through the derailleur bikes and now want something simpler.
Maybe that's why there's a SS/fixed gear craze.
Maybe last year's Curve, but not this year's model. As I pointed out, These bikes can be ordered from your local bike shop or check out Dahon's own Web site-https://www.dahon.com/locator/nadealers.htm-for a location of a stocking dealer where he/she usually have one or more models on the showroom floor.

And do feel free to visit my own Web site series on the World Of Folding Bicycles listed below. I have photos, text information and even a detail instructions on making your own bike bag to cart your folded bike around!

Last edited by folder fanatic; 06-07-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 04:41 PM
TiberiusBTkirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what I meant was it's a $100 jump from last year
for a 3sp internal geared hub folder. unless you count
a Kent in that group. Curves are around $419 here.
(which is probably their basic model)

I think I'm wrong, is the Curve D3 $500 now? I have to pop
into a LBS to check the price tag. was it ever around $300?

Last edited by TiberiusBTkirk; 06-08-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 01:18 PM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same bike here :- https://eastcoasters.com/page.cfm?PageID=139 and about $100 cheaper.

PS (OOPS! Maybe not! LOL!)

Chop!
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

Last edited by Chop!; 06-08-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 01:47 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I say... buy the Cayne Rambler... and write us up a review. Can't wait to here about your experiences with it. Welcome to the fold.

--sam
Old 01-29-15, 07:34 AM
air cool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'am a newbie , so this my first time doing this responding,but my wife bought a Cayne Rambler 3 at a flee market for 100.00. Use for transport from train to hospital front door.....Like yourself I couldn't see spending over 400-600 for a bike, and I believe my wife said this seller had another Rambler 3 to sell...
I like it folds easy, carry's good, I'am 64 and the riding again in traffic (people) getting used to it all over FUN... Wife said i should get a helmet, thinking with FLAMES on it......
Old 01-29-15, 04:43 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Walmart sells the Genesis bike for $199 and I venture it's a whole lot more bike than the Cayne Rambler. Have them ship it to the store for free and go pick it up at the customer service desk. The bike comes fully assembled in the box. If you don't like it, return it to the nearest walmart within 90 days- no questions asked.

Here's a link to my thread on the Genesis folding bike.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...ding-bike.html
Old 01-29-15, 09:05 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rambled thread from years ago.......https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...n-rambler.html