Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 09-02-12, 07:33 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks photogravity. I do try to keep an eye open for a good photo opportunity. I just use a point and shoot camera. I'm certainly not up to the level of yokev and northbend. They are both very accomplished photographers.

I assembled a Kelly that a Brown student from California had shipped to the shop I worked at back in 1998 and thought it was pretty cool when I gave it a shake down run. Later, while working at another shop, I jumped at the chance of picking one up for myself. Despite my recent harping I am very happy with this bike. It inspires confidence on dirt roads. I found myself attacking them today instead of carefully choosing every pedal stroke like I do on the De Rosa.

Here's a link to Kelly.

https://www.kellybike.com/
Old 09-03-12, 09:01 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
You'd think the guy would have been more tuned in than he was, eh? It is entertaining to see the reaction when they finally do get it, though. BTW, what year is your Marinoni?
Mine is a 1991, according to the serial (10285). Get to see plenty around here in Montreal...one of my favorites, an older one (early 80s?) with beautiful chrome and done up 'French mix' with a Stronglight crank and Simplex bits, is locked up in front of the same bar near my girlfriend's old apartment every time I pass by. Can't help but stop for an appreciative nod every time I pass by. As for the fellow on the 90s Special on the bike loop, I think he was concentrating on picking up speed...
Old 09-03-12, 09:20 AM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by mkeller234
My wife and I went to Montreal on our honey moon. We never actually went to the stadium, but I remember that the tall structure dominated the landscape since it seemed to be around mostly small buildings. I thought it looked cool from a distance and actually wanted to get a close up view of it. What makes it infamous? Montreal was great.
It is kind of cool in its way, though some don't care for its obtrusive presence on the skyline. It certainly does stand out among the low-rise construction of the east side of the central city (not to mention the adjacent park). What makes the Olympic Stadium truly 'infamous', though, is a combination of the structure's (substantial) cost overruns' contribution to an Olympic debt which took the city well into the 21st century to pay off - and the notoriously poor durability of the roof, which contributes to ongoing astronomical upkeep costs. The original stadium debt (the 'Big Owe') was ultimately paid off in 2006, from what I recall.

The 'Big O', as a venue more cavernous than intimate, also arguably played a role in the demise of the Montreal Expos baseball team after they moved from Jarry Park in the north part of the city - simply not as much fun to hang out and watch ball in the giant domed stadium than it was in the old open-air park. I've been to Canadian Football League playoff games (when larger crowds mean that they move games there from the smaller facility where the local team usually plays), and it really isn't the most fan-friendly stadium. It is a unique structure in any case, and I certainly don't mind looking at it.

Montreal is indeed a great city - fantastic place for a honeymoon, I'm sure!
Old 09-03-12, 09:29 AM
Zieleman

Bikes: Enough for now

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That little village certainly is inviting, that's for sure! How old is that little town?
No idea on the exact age of De Rijp, but it's certainly 500 years old. Check out the village touristic website: https://www.vvvgraftderijp.nl/en/

If you want old: I grew up in Muiden; a town of more or less 5000 people which is about 1060 years old. It's not far from Amsterdam and every year more and more tourists show up. When I lived there, there were no hotels whatsoever. Should be one by now..

This was one of my neighbours:
Old 09-03-12, 10:33 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Wow, lots of nice pics!

We did 71.2 miles on the tandem today (now yesterday), some on the Nashua River Rail Trail, some on the roads in Nashua, Dunstble, Pepperell. That's our longest day yet.

We were out to log some mileage. I'd proposed the NRRT because it was different. Plus, the Rubel bikemap showed a few roads in Dusntable and our GPS (a DeLorme PN-60 with maps and color display) let me see where we were and where the roads went. I wanted to follow a road over to Hollis but we got sidetracked onto 111, which was actually nice until the rt3 intersection came in view. So we turned back, cut over to the trailhead on 111A, stopping at Zacharias Pizzeria first. Then we did a loop in Dusntable starting from the MA trailhead. That loop was so nice we did it twice, then rode rt113 into Pepperell before turning around. Sharon wanted to do the whole NRRT again so when we got back to Ayer we ate a bit then headed north again. It was a long day, about as tiring as the ride we did with you but most of it was flatter. However Dusntable has a few hills too.

The pavement was pretty nice, a few root heaves here and there, most of them marked. Not many road crossings and generally with very good sight lines. Be advised that the MA DCR website is slightly inaccurate. IIRC it says the NRRT is 11 miles. It felt longer and measured about 12.3 from Ayer to the MA trailhead. The end at rt111 in NH is about 12.75 miles, and it actually goes another half mile or so through some housing areas before fizzling out. All in all it was a nice experience.

We should have taken a few more pics from the Dusntable roads, especially the cornfield where the stalks seemed 12ft tall. But we zoomed by that spot after a fast downhill so stopping was out of the question!

Finally, taking a break on the long, final return.
Jim, looks like y'all had a great day on the bike, AGAIN! We've pushed some 40 mile days, but Rachel isn't up to those longer distances just yet and we've been too busy to really work on it. Out plan is to continue riding throughout the fall and winter to keep both of us in good riding condition for next year and then we might be able to make similar distances to what you and Sharon are doing.
Old 09-03-12, 10:52 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Zieleman
No idea on the exact age of De Rijp, but it's certainly 500 years old. Check out the village touristic website: https://www.vvvgraftderijp.nl/en/

If you want old: I grew up in Muiden; a town of more or less 5000 people which is about 1060 years old. It's not far from Amsterdam and every year more and more tourists show up. When I lived there, there were no hotels whatsoever. Should be one by now..

This was one of my neighbours:
I'll have to take a closer look at that website when I get a little time. It looks like it could be interesting, despite the "tourist" approach. About your neighbor: judging by the moat, I take it they weren't very friendly.
Old 09-03-12, 11:17 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Thanks for posting that photo 0f Muiden castle Zieleman. That brings back fond memories of a work assignment back in 2000. I was staying in Hovelaken and working in Barneveld. I stopped several times in Muiden while I was there and toured that Castle once with my family.

Here is a friends' photo of me taken yesterday from an MTB ride at Crystal Mt. We rode out and back on the Northway trail. Tough climb. 3000 feet gained in 6 miles all on singletrack. That is Mt. Rainier in the background.
Old 09-03-12, 11:55 AM
A Pile of Tile
Artist at large

Bikes: Bianchi Champione D'Italia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was going to ride here today, but....

Old 09-03-12, 01:07 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Beautiful morning for a ride - started at 55 degrees and was about 70 by the end. Still working to learn this new camera. I'm not completely happy with the photos yet but will keep working on it. 46.5 miles with some good climbing as you'll see.

Early in the ride:

Flood irrigation is very popular:

Starting to get into the sage brush - peekaboo view of Mt. Rainier in our valley

Look at the top of the bank - this young coyote (looked like a bird when I came around the corner) wasn't quite sure what I was and surprisingly stayed put as a snapped a photo from the bike:

Old 09-03-12, 01:08 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Continuation:

The target today was to climb to the wind farm visitor's center to the east of town:

Old 09-03-12, 01:38 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Nice pics, scozim! That must be interesting country to ride through, provided you take along enough water. And food. And water. And food.
Originally Posted by scozim
Look at the top of the bank - this young coyote (looked like a bird when I came around the corner) wasn't quite sure what I was and surprisingly stayed put as a snapped a photo from the bike:
Nice. Back east here we have plenty of coyotes and they aren't necessarily shy. Once when we were canoeing Acadia Creek on Mt Desert Island we and a coyote watched each other from about 20 yds away. He/she was hunting, probably for frogs, and we were picking cranberries.

Supposedly a recent genetic study showed the eastern coyote has some wolf genes. Great, exactly what we need!

We did a recovery ride of 26.2 miles today.

We had this visitor

Old 09-03-12, 01:59 PM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I'll have to take a closer look at that website when I get a little time. It looks like it could be interesting, despite the "tourist" approach. About your neighbor: judging by the moat, I take it they weren't very friendly.
No such thing as the full busloads of Japanese tourists you can see in Marken or Monnickendam in this little town which is just as charming. It isn't situated along the former 'Zuiderzee' and looks to be firmly inland so i was surprised to learn that it became rich in the 17th century because of its big whaling fleet.

Harbour and townhall of Monnickendam

It took awhile looking at the old maps before I realised that the land around De Rijp used to be big stretches of water that run towards the sea and were made into polders to protect the villages from flooding and thereby creating good farming land Dutchie style.

The whole area north of Amsterdam ' Waterland' is perfect for cycling anyway.
Old 09-03-12, 02:12 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Nice pics, scozim! That must be interesting country to ride through, provided you take along enough water. And food. And water. And food.

Nice. Back east here we have plenty of coyotes and they aren't necessarily shy. Once when we were canoeing Acadia Creek on Mt Desert Island we and a coyote watched each other from about 20 yds away. He/she was hunting, probably for frogs, and we were picking cranberries.

Supposedly a recent genetic study showed the eastern coyote has some wolf genes. Great, exactly what we need!
This was one of the youngest coyotes I've seen. He was in the road when I first saw it and I wasn't sure what it was because he was so small. He made it up the bank on his second try.

The ride was only 46.5 miles. I had two water bottles and a granola bar. The problem was I didn't eat much for breakfast and was feeling it the last 5 miles or so after pushing pretty hard. I definitely plan my routes with access to water being a big consideration.

Old 09-03-12, 02:47 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Friday's ride prior to watching another round of Friday Night Races at the Marymoor Park Velodrome.

Going by the book (Biking Puget Sound) the distance was around 60 miles on both the Sammamish River and Burke Gilman trails.

Yeah, I forgot my helmet again

Spinella at the east side of Marymoor Park:

Eastside trail:

Temporary-surface portion of the eastside trail:

Velodrome:

On the move:

Departing Redmond:

Nice scenery, huh?

Near Bothell:

Upper end of Lake Washington departing Tracey Owen Station:

More to come...

DD
Old 09-03-12, 02:53 PM
YoKev
hi

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful pictures and blurbs everyone!

I rode for a couple hours on this fine overcast day at Shaupeneak Ridge, a Scenic Hudson park in Esopus, NY. I've spent a few weekends helping make trail here, and I finally got around to getting my bike on it.

I parked in the lower lot off of 9W and rode the road up Old Post Road and Poppletown up to Louisa Pond. Off road was Green Trail-Orange Trail-Blue Trail-Red Trail-White Trail back to the car. The descent on the White Trail back to my car made me smile so much, it was such an adrenaline rush. Oh, and the other stuff was just fine too

M'lady has my good camera, so I leave you with a few I managed to take myself with my phone:

Louisa Pond

Rock armored trail going up a quarry face. I helped build this:

Cruisin' on the Green Trail:

View from the overlook on the Red Trail before I headed down the White Trail back to the car. You're looking east at the Hudson River, with Mount Saint Alphonsus below me and Mills Norrie State Park on the far side of the river.

Last edited by YoKev; 09-03-12 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 03:01 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
No pics (yet) today, but I was in a group of 40. We rode a relatively flat 50-mile route out near the Congaree Swamp. I took the Basso.. There were two of us with DT shifters on this ride. Got quite a few compliments.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 09-03-12, 03:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Second set.

Nearing Red Hook Brewery:

Lake Forest Park:

Spinella at Lake Forest Park:

Newly-resurfaced portion of the Burke Gilman Trail:

Tunnel of trees:

Self-portrait at Matthews Beach Park:

Heading back to Marymoor Park chasing my shadow:

A fun ride - particularly the fast run back from the University to Tracey Owen Station with a guy riding modern carbon. I sat back about 30 feet from him so I was working hard since I was staying out of the drafting zone. After I pulled for a few miles he departed at TOS and commented on the age of my rig.

The racing was great once again. My main reason for taking this ride was to get pics for posterity in the event I do not return to WA after I retire from the USN.

In that respect, the ride was a total success

DD
Old 09-03-12, 03:58 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
Hey Dude, U look like the headless horseman. No need for helmets :-)

Best of luck to you on newest assignment

- Matt
Old 09-03-12, 04:03 PM
YoKev
hi

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice shoes DD!
Old 09-03-12, 04:08 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Spinella at Lake Forest Park:

DD
Great pics, DD. I think I might recognize that stem/bar/lever combo!
Old 09-03-12, 04:48 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I posted today's short, 26.2 mile ride earlier today. (That's a few dozen pics before this.) So here is a quick follow-up, not about the ride per se but about the entire year's experience...

Some time this weekend or last we hit 2000 miles on the tandem. It's been quite a trip. Well, literally a series of trips, so to speak. Anyway, I was doing some drivetrain maintenance and noticed some roughness in the stoker's BB. That's the one that takes all the load, you know. Found this:

That, boys and girls, is why we do maintenance every so often.
Old 09-03-12, 06:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Anyway, I was doing some drivetrain maintenance and noticed some roughness in the stoker's BB. That's the one that takes all the load, you know. Found this:

That, boys and girls, is why we do maintenance every so often.
Dayum - the top one looks like it had a bite taken out of it!

You should get FTW to turn those into a pair of earrings for your stoker

BTW, thanks for all the recent ride pics - stunning as per usual.

DD
Old 09-03-12, 06:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by YoKev
Nice shoes DD!
Funny that you say that. I'd not worn this particular pair of Dettos for a long time - and they caused me hot spots on the return leg. By the time I stopped, I was really feeling the pain in my right little toe. Gotta figure that one out

DD
Old 09-03-12, 07:56 PM
northbend 

My ride buddy just posted a video of our ride from the previous weekend so I hope you don't mind me revisiting last Saturday. You get some sense of what it was like from watching this. Pretty darn fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2zA...&feature=share
Old 09-03-12, 08:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Yeeeee-haaaaaaw! That was incredible - and ballsy descending on that singletrack through the trees

My helmet's off to you guys for that one - thanks for the video.

DD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.