Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

To the four idiots on the Sammamish River Trail Friday evening

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

To the four idiots on the Sammamish River Trail Friday evening

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 06:46 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 372 Posts
While I disagree with much of what you have said in this thread, I will agree that there doesn't ever seem to be a cycle only trail where the expectation is that cyclists will be traveling at higher speed. Even in places where there is a bike lane and a separate pedestrian lane, the bikers are expected to slow down for the peds.

I was driving (yes I drive) along Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn yesterday, which has 6 car lanes in the center, with tree lined islands on each side, and another lane beyond those with parking, then the sidewalk. On the east side islands are signs that say "No Bikes". On the west side island there is a rail to separate the pedestrian walk from the paved cycle path. There is no sign that says "Bikes ONLY" or "NO PEDESTRIANS". And of course what you have is people with strollers, dog walkers, etc... on the bike lane. This situation is not new, the path has been there since the road was built by Olmstead when the parkway system and the parks were built in the 1800s, or at least when it was converted to car use. Ocean Parkway History/pics

As for the Sammamish trail, I always used that with the understanding that it was going to have a lot of slower riders and walkers in popular stretches. It wasn't a place to ride fast on a sunny weekend.

Last edited by zacster; 03-28-10 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 08:39 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Seems you are miss reading my post. I am not trying to ban anyone from using the bike path (now called a MUP). Which is exactly opposite the motorist example you provide above. You seem to be one of the guys in this thread trying to ban the people you call racer - pacers or you are trying to ban them from using the bike path as originally intended. What you guys are trying to do with the bike path, would be similar to cyclist trying to exclude motorist from the highway or to restrict them to 15 mph on a highway designed and built for a speed limit of 45 mph.

Since cyclist asked for and push to build a bike path they could commute and recreational ride on at speed, without motor traffic; then let walkers and really slow cyclist ask for and push to build the 5 mile MUP without fast cyclist that they really want.

But if the walkers and really slow cyclist want to still use the bike path, then they should keep things safe by staying in the right lane and walking/riding slow in a straight line (except when passing of course). Does that sound like the way cyclist are suppose the ride on the highway, so why not - same rules same rights on the bike path?
CB, you may want to re-read my post.

What I think I said in plain language is that the racer - pacers seem to be breaking the rules of speed and common sense when riding where other users present a safety hazard. I'm sure I didn't say anything about banning anyone from using a multiple use path, that's what a "multiple use" is after all. We don't have any "bikes only" paths, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one anywhere.

As for bikes restricting cars to 15 mph on highways, you seem to VASTLY overstate this in your argument. I've lived in Hawaii, I know there maybe a few roads without shoulders where cars need to be careful passing bikes, but that takes seconds, or a minute to slow and pass safely, you make it sounds like a much more involved problem. It certainly is not a problem here in Oregon, we get along on the roads just fine, and nice shoulders exist on roads for the most part, so cars rarely have to slow at all to pass a bike safely. By Oregon law a bike is a legal vehicle on all roads except interstate highways, that's about the end of that, isn't it?

Last edited by Shifty; 03-28-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 10:21 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
It certainly is not a problem here in Oregon, we get along on the roads just fine, and nice shoulders exist on roads for the most part, so cars rarely have to slow at all to pass a bike safely. By Oregon law a bike is a legal vehicle on all roads except interstate highways, that's about the end of that, isn't it?
Then maybe you need shoulders on the bike paths (now called MUPs) for the walkers, so you can all get along on the bike paths (now called MUPs) just fine in Oregon.

As to freeways, are you sure, my understanding is:
There is an Oregon administrative rule allowing bicycles on all freeways except a few specific sections like the Sunset highway tunnel and the Fremont bridge.

And Oregon bicycle laws are more screwed up than most states:
https://bikelaws.org/laws/Oregon.pdf
Old 03-28-10, 10:24 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

CB, you may want to re-read my post.
This argument is just so wrong in so many ways, I get it often from motorist that feel that bicyclist don't belong on the road that their (car and truck drivers) gas tax dollars paid for. The notion that we (every user on every public facility, road, park etc.) have to study the details of the exact funding sources, then use, or not use the public resource based on our own contribution is total and utter nonsense, one invented and used frequently on rightwing radio and TV.
I see two sets of rules covering these MUP trails, city and local rules of use and common sense and courtesy. It sounds like the racer - pacers were breaking both. I feel bad that they put so many people in a more dangerous position than necessary, we should all yell at them when we see them.
I re-read your post and it is just as misguided a response to my post as when read the first time.
Old 03-28-10, 11:08 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
what exactly is the problem on the trail again, CBHI ?

the pacelines, the trail itself, the speed limit, the increased recreation it brings to the entire community? Are the problems with the trail associated with the greater visibility of more bicyclists in the community and more bikes on the roads adjacent the trail, greater quality outdoor experiences, increased property values?

are the problems in the rails to trails conversions, or the crowding of a great recreational resource? should the trails be larger, more developed, what??

Are the problems that 'bike paths' are now called MUPS, but there's still federal money being spent on what are now multiple user paths? Ban pedestrians from public, non-motorized transportation corridors because of the bicycles? stop building MUPs altogther?

And, more tellingly, what impact are these sammammish trail pacelines having on the bicycling in Honolulu?

MAYBE the problems are the bald eagles or the feral chickens in Bothell. too much wildlife!! No respect from the feral chickens!!

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-28-10 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 10:11 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist

let's face it lake city way is just not that much fun to ride, in the bus lane somtimes and sometimes not, and motorists doing 50mph. i don't mind it but is it relaxing like the BG? Heck no.
Again, 5th Ave!! You have to like hills though.. no roots to bounce around on, no strollers, and some nice climbs.

https://veloroutes.org/s/1363

my race videos
Old 03-29-10, 10:46 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
MAYBE the problems are the bald eagles or the feral chickens in Bothell. too much wildlife!! No respect from the feral chickens!!
Thankfully our 300k on Saturday put us on/off the trail at sections which avoided the dreaded feral chickens. Although we did get to enjoy the root heaves between 65th and the tunnel, and the stop signs on the sections in Marymoor (Connector Trail) and from the tunnel back to U-Village.

The AM segment of the trail (65th to the tunnel, and from Redhook through Marymoor) was fairly deserted because is was before 8am on a Saturday. The PM segment (tunnel to U-Village) was likewise empty since we hit that around 8pm; it was dark and most people were already out at the pub or home for the evening. We had a large group (about a dozen riders) and had no issues with grouping down singlefile when the lead riders would call out "walker up" or "riders up" to the rest of the pack. No complaints from anyone we passed, even though we were moving very quickly (17 - 19mph).
It was funny when we passed a group of riders who appeared to be in their cooldown (decked out in fancy pro kit, etc. but rolling slowly) and one of them could only muster a muted "holy s___" as the freight train of randos went barrelling past. We were left to chuckle and wonder: Was it our pace? Was it our numbers? Was it the fact that our LED generator lights lit up the night like the ballpark? Maybe a combo of all 3...

Last edited by CliftonGK1; 03-29-10 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-10, 10:47 AM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hm. ill have to do that 5th ave sometime....
Old 03-29-10, 03:00 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

what exactly is the problem on the trail again, CBHI ?
To make it very simple for you Bek, the whiners and those that want to restrict/prohibit faster cyclist.
Old 03-29-10, 04:36 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
So how does it work out for those guys "pacelining" or riding 25-30 mph on an MUP when they quickly approach a dog walker that has the leash stretched out across the trail? Yard sale?? It would be fun to see that! I don't think a crowded section of an MUP is a good place to practice your racing skills... whether it's legal or not.

I know someone that carries a length of pipe with him on his walks for his personal safety. He has mentioned that he has been tempted to stick that metal pipe into the wheels of speeding cyclists at times. I guess that would bring down the speed quite drastically very quickly. Hopefully he doesn't do it... however, I've seen cyclists that probably deserve it.

I don't live in the Seattle/King County area so I'm not sure what options race teams have. However, I rarely see race teams on the MUP's in Thurston County. Maybe in the dead of winter and when it's dark, otherwise, I think they prefer the roads (we have plenty of great roads for cycling.)
Old 03-29-10, 10:37 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

That's the other users of a public nonmotorized transportation cooridor you're referring to, cbhi?

Originally Posted by cbhi
the whiners and those that want to restrict/prohibit faster cyclist.
considerate people that think safety and respect for all trail users trump cyclists pushing a few extra MPH in congested conditions.

i doubt anyone has problems with pacelines on a deserted sammamish valley trail in the middle of a rainy midweek february day. Cyclists, even 'paceline groups' should have no problem riding as quck as they want, even on summer weekend afternoons so long as they are considerate of other trail users.

MOST roadies don't have bells to alert other trail users of bikes approaching. Lackus gonga is a sad state of bicycling affairs - in my opinion far worse than crowding on non motorized transportation corridors.

The largest problems I personally encounter on the Sammamish Valley Trail is caused by feral chicken congestion.

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-29-10 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 10:48 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 127 Posts
The largest problems I personally encounter on the Sammamish Valley Trail is caused by feral chicken congestion.
That and roots uplifting the pavement...at least on the BG. I ride a fat-tired 650b bike most of the time and get bounced around. I can't imagine racing down that trail at full speed on skinny tires.
Old 04-02-10, 09:30 AM
FallsApart

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Campione (currently in pieces), 80's Schwinn Chicago singlespeed, Neuvation w/ 5100 SRAM Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, I like that someone from Hawaii is making such a fuss about the BG and the slough. And I'd argue, to his kvetching, that MUPs and Bike paths are different. Not just one renamed as the other. So, yea - CB HI, you haven't ridden these paths, you don't know who uses them, you don't know the culture that surrounds them or how our bike community feels about them (differently, but generally avoids serious workouts), so i understand why you would misunderstand the silliness of anyone really cruising at that speed on a busy day like that (regardless of their status as a paceline). But still, so many opinions, so much for us to learn from you! Awesome.

Everyone here who has ridden the BG has faced the crowds of families, commuters, hipsters, college kids, etc. It's a fantastic trail, but it's not a bike-only path. There are some sections you can ride super fast, but most get really busy. If I'm trying to get a workout in, I avoid the BG like the plague because it's dangerous and obnoxious (to everyone involved) to weave through strollers, dogs, and six year olds on trikes. And I really think most of the cycling community in Seattle understands that. As in Clifton's post, it's all about context, and I think most people slow down.
Old 04-02-10, 02:23 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

FallsApart,
Such a mindset is why you have such a hard time learning.
Second, why do you assume that I have never lived in the area, let alone gone riding in the Seattle or Greater Puget Sound area. That seems to be a common elitist position from many in the PNW.

If the rest of your post is true, then why do so many Seattle locals constantly whine about other cyclist, especially those using the paths.

Clearly the cyclist you guys whine so much about, disagree with your position, contrary to your claims of solidarity.

PS: Maybe I even own a hand built bent, that I bought in Eugene OR.
Old 04-02-10, 04:26 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Well, somebody's obviously got bent ~

FERAL CHICKENS i tell ya.
Old 04-03-10, 01:22 AM
Kneez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Oh, never mind...

Last edited by Kneez; 04-03-10 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 01:49 AM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Fast groupriding and kids and dogs simply do not go together. However much CB HI is in the "right" to be riding fast on HIS biketrail, he will have to live with causing harm to that kid suddenly loosing control of her bike. Pacelining should be done as part of regular traffic.
Old 04-04-10, 09:43 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've encountered several near-misses with the ByrneInvent (red and blue jersey). Weaving, passing, and forcing oncoming strollers, and bikers out of the way. They totally ignore hails to 'watch it'.

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Was it these guys?

More than once I've ended up shoulder to shoulder with their paceline as they insist on passing when there's oncoming traffic.

The only other teams I've seen on the SRT/BGT are Recycled Cycles (blue/gold) and Starbucks (green/white), but I've never had an issue with either of them.
Other local teams which might be on the trail:
- Cucina Fresca (black & white w/red trim)
- Woodinville Bicycle (red & white w/ black trim)
- Amgen (white/blue)
- Hagens Berman (white & blue w/ black & yellow trim)
Although, I haven't actually spotted any of those teams on the trails before; only out on the roads.
Old 06-14-10, 01:27 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Regardless of the funding source, the posted speed limit on the Sammamish River and Burke-Gilman Trails is 15mph.
Enjoy your new posted 10 mph speed limits soon to be posted on your former bike paths, then called MUPs and soon to be called Off-Road Sidewalks.
Old 06-14-10, 08:46 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Enjoy your new posted 10 mph speed limits soon to be posted on your former bike paths, then called MUPs and soon to be called Off-Road Sidewalks.

5/10. Fail.
Posted limit is already 10mph in many areas.
Dredging up 2 month old post just to pick a fight.
Old 06-14-10, 05:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

5/10. Fail.
Posted limit is already 10mph in many areas.
Dredging up 2 month old post just to pick a fight.
Really, then why the big fuss over reducing speed limits to 10 mph in the other thread?
And you are the one that said the posted limit was 15 mph.
Old 06-14-10, 10:46 PM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Really, then why the big fuss over reducing speed limits to 10 mph in the other thread?
And you are the one that said the posted limit was 15 mph.
The other thread is about the Cedar River Trail, not the SRT/BGT. The 10mph enforcement will be on Renton city trails, not the Sam. River or Burke Gilman Trails, which already have 10mph speed limits in congested areas like Wilmot Gateway Park and Bothell Landing.
Old 06-17-10, 07:34 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought the original complaint is about pacelining the trails. you can paceline at 10mph.

how about instead people just ride with some courtesy and common sense?

ps - when I run intervals, I break 10mph. I better watch out.
Old 06-25-10, 09:09 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

I rarely see real egregious behavior on the MUPs but last night had a hotshot yelling 'on your left' as if it automatically let him and his buddy in their two year old team kits have carte blanche to try and pass on the B-G in Wallingford right at the conflux of the trail and the bad sightline intersection where NE 36th street comes up. right in the midst of a half dozen other cyclists, pedestrians, and cars all coming togther into this clusterfuzzle at 36th and the Burke Gilman, and these guys want people to CLEAR A PATH.

what a couple of kitted clowns. no trail manners or safety sense. I gave them a stern "hold back" and the wavedown, and they still thought they could clear the way by shouting on your left like a couple of two-bit russian thugs in a blue light Lada.

Last edited by Bekologist; 06-25-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-25-10, 04:38 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I rarely see real egregious behavior on the MUPs but last night had a hotshot yelling 'on your left' as if it automatically let him and his buddy in their two year old team kits have carte blanche to try and pass on the B-G in Wallingford right at the conflux of the trail and the bad sightline intersection where NE 36th street comes up. right in the midst of a half dozen other cyclists, pedestrians, and cars all coming togther into this clusterfuzzle at 36th and the Burke Gilman, and these guys want people to CLEAR A PATH.

what a couple of kitted clowns. no trail manners or safety sense. I gave them a stern "hold back" and the wavedown, and they still thought they could clear the way by shouting on your left like a couple of two-bit russian thugs in a blue light Lada.
Interesting story, thought I don't see what their kits have to do with it.

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.