Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another Compatibility Question - Chain Recommendation Needed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 07:56 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Shifters - Campy Centaur 10 speed
Rear Der - Ultegra 6600
Cassette - Shimano 10 speed
Converter - JTEK Shiftmate 3

What chain would you recommend?

Thanks!

55/Rad
Old 11-18-20, 06:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Crank?
Old 11-18-20, 08:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Any decent quality 10-speed chain will do fine. I'm partial to Shimano and KMC mid-lines like Shimano CN-6600 or CN-6700. I have had good results with Wipperman but they are more expensive.
Old 11-18-20, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
What chain do you have now? When it was in good shape was it shifting well when everything else was adjusted correctly?

If yes to those questions, then why not get that again?

I tend to match my make of chain to the manufacture of my crank and cassette. So far, that's been Shimano. It's simply the thinking that when they designed all the ramps and other profiling they do on their chainrings and cassettes to help with shifting that they used their own chains to base that on. But it is unfounded thinking as I've not used any other chain on my 11 speeds. Even if another brand of chain didn't shift as well, would it be so bad that I'd actually notice? I don't know.

KMC is a great choice. Some say they shift better on Shimano than Shimano, but I don't know. I've used them on other bikes. But that was before my jump from 7 speed rears to 11 speed rears.

If you are asking about the specific flavor of chain, as KMC and others make several 10 speed chains with different claims of greatness, Just pick one that hits your fancy. In 4000 to 8000 miles you probably have your answer. Of course by then they won't make that same model chain.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-18-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-18-20, 09:36 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Crank?
Campy Centaur

Originally Posted by Iride01
What chain do you have now? When it was in good shape was it shifting well when everything else was adjusted correctly?
This is a new setup, hence no experience with this mix
Old 11-18-20, 09:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Shimano rear cogs and campy front chainrings. Campy shifters > converter > Shimano rear DR.

That'll be quite a conversation piece. Scrounged parts?

Just go with a 10 speed chain that works on that Shimano cassette. That's where most of your shifting will be. I don't think Campy had anything special about their front chainring spacing that would be negative for any other 10 speed chain. But maybe someone else knows for sure.

KMC and Shimano are my only experience in recent times. But I'm sure others work fine. And if they don't, you can change it out.
Old 11-18-20, 12:28 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That'll be quite a conversation piece. Scrounged parts?
In 2008, I built up a Daccordi 50th anniversary frame with new (then) silver Campy Centaur group. See below. I rode the bike sparingly, then sold the frame a couple years later, thinking I would reuse the Centaur group at some point.

That time has come. But I want to pair it with a wheelset that features polished H PLUS SON rims with Chris King hubs - and a Shimano hub. I'm just looking for the best way to do that.

Options:

1. Run a conversion cassette - which are hard to find.
2. Go with Shimano 9 speed cassette - a viable option
3. Buy a JTEK Shiftmate 1 - I'm a fan of the JTEK but I only have the model 3 in hand. The 1 would be another $50+ with shipping
4. Combine the Shiftmate 3 with an Ultegra 6600 rear der. I have all the parts...but don't really want to "visibly" mix the groups.

Old 11-18-20, 01:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Is that the current bike in the first pic or is that one of the previous bikes from your older thread?

Either way, the looks are just that little bit of extra special with respect to how you used colors and shapes of components. Even the cable housings and colored tires which I've never seen used so dramatically. If it wasn't for my overwhelming preference for brightly colored bikes, I'd want one.

Or else, you are just that much better a photographer and know how to use lighting and stuff to your advantage.

Are you going to sell this bike right away? If so and the components intended to go with then I'd be a little concerned if I was the buyer and so much was different make components.

But if you are going to keep the bike and ride it yourself and have most all the parts already then it makes sense to me.

As for chain, I suppose KMC is one of your best bets to find a color coordinating chain.
Old 11-18-20, 01:30 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't have the Daccordi anymore but I do have the group that was on it. I appreciate your comments. Here is another of the Daccordi.

Not looking to sell anything. I'm building a new bike.

Old 11-18-20, 07:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

The colored housings add a lot of interest since those colors also appear on the frame. And it looks like your attention to detail is far greater than I'd ever have patience for.

Are you putting that much effort into this current build? Or was all the work on the Daccordi something you just "slapped together"? <grin>
Old 11-18-20, 07:40 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I don't think Campy had anything special about their front chainring spacing that would be negative for any other 10 speed chain. But maybe someone else knows for sure.
For many years I owned a Campy Chorus 10-speed bike using Chorus front and rear derailleurs, a Chorus triple crank and Campy 10-speed cassettes and never used anything but Shimano 10-speed chains. It shifted perfectly.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 11-18-20, 08:15 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Are you putting that much effort into this current build? Or was all the work on the Daccordi something you just "slapped together"? <grin>
I was huge into building and the bike forum (I was a moderator at one point) from about 2004 through 2012. Met a gal who also rode and moved away from the forums and in with her. Sold off most of my stable and built her a couple really nice bikes. We got married and continue to ride. I do a project every couple of years, though mostly for other people. This new one is for me.

Here is a photo of a project of mine from 2006 that got quite a bit of attention.

Old 11-18-20, 09:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
KMC chains are fine and a relative bargain. I have Shimano and SRAM chains too and haven't noticed any differences in performance or durability in this mid-priced chains. I have one Dura Ace 10-speed chain but haven't used it yet -- saving it for another project.
Likes For canklecat: