Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do most folks get electrolyte replenishment via a beverage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do most folks get electrolyte replenishment via a beverage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 03:49 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
I know exactly what it was developed for and when. That doesn't change the fact that the current product is more about marketing. Kids drink it like soda. I know it contains sugar (though highly processed) and sodium needed during exercise but it also has artificial colors and flavors and for a long time was made with HFCS and BVO. While the current product is better than it was, there are simply better choices.
There is nothing about sugar (sucrose) that is better than HFCS. Nothing! They are both just as good for you and also just as bad. When you induce a manufacturer to use sucrose instead of HFCS in a product you buy or choose a product on that basis, you are just bending over for a voluntary monetary reaming.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-03-14, 03:51 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Not Applicable, because in the ER they'll put an IV in you and run fluids. But in Africa and other places where good medical equipment is not plentiful and readily available, they'll replace with an oral electrolyte solution (aka Gatorade or Pedialyte or whatever you want to call it)
Yes, but that is after the problem has developed, not to prevent it. Also it involves folks like children and the aged who may not be able to swallow a pill or tablet.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-03-14, 04:26 PM
EnellCH

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Pinarello Dogma F8, Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure why people buy all that stuff. These days I go with 40% gatorade and 60% water as i start out riding. From there I refill with water only and eat small bags of potato chips (or bring a bag of small boiled potatoes) for electrolytes and carbs.
Old 08-03-14, 04:28 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yes, but that is after the problem has developed, not to prevent it. Also it involves folks like children and the aged who may not be able to swallow a pill or tablet.
Im not answering your question. I'm answering the other guy's question. I've already given up on you
Old 08-03-14, 04:35 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is nothing about sugar (sucrose) that is better than HFCS. Nothing! They are both just as good for you and also just as bad. When you induce a manufacturer to use sucrose instead of HFCS in a product you buy or choose a product on that basis, you are just bending over for a voluntary monetary reaming.
Incorrect.

What Is the Difference Between Sucrose, Glucose & Fructose? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Old 08-03-14, 04:42 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Other than the small amount of food coloring, is it really much different than any other drink like the one you recommended? I highly doubt there would be any difference in performance. So the short answer to your question is: people use it because it works well for it's intended purpose.
Actually, there are differences. Read the about page and the information from Allen Lim. I wonder what they were drinking that was making them "sick to their stomachs"?

Skratch Labs | About Us, the history and story of Skratch Labs. | Skratch Labs

Btw, I have no connection to Scratch. Just that I've used it and like it.
Old 08-03-14, 04:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Actually, there are differences. Read the about page and the information from Allen Lim. I wonder what they were drinking that was making them "sick to their stomachs"?

Very few people get sick to their stomachs drinking gatorade as it's mostly sugar just like the Skratch Labs formula. If Skratch Labs works for you, that's great but don't assume that it's some miracle nutrition that's going to give you a performance boost relative to Gatorade.

Also, it's a little naive to assume that Alan Lim and Skratch aren't out there marketing just as hard as Gatorade. They're a business after all and would love to be as successful as Gatorade.

edit: And Gatorade has even more compelling stories regarding the research they conduct into optimizing performance: The science behind Gatorade. I believe A Jeukendrup has a far more impressive background in research than Alan Lim

Disclaimer: I don't use Gatorade. I use mostly water but if I do add anything to my bottles I use maltodextrin with some supermarket flavor crystals.

Last edited by gregf83; 08-03-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 04:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

The article you cited supports my contention. Glucose and fructose have different metabolic pathways. HFCS is a nearly equal mixture of the two. Sucrose becomes an equal mixture of the two nearly instantly in the stomach. After that the two sources of the two sugars behave exactly the same. The author didn't say one thing to contradict that.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-03-14, 07:22 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
The electrolytes usually make the drink taste like a$$. Why not just take capsules with the electrolytes (like the ones from Hammer: Amazon.com: Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes- Electrolyte Replacement Supplement-Dietary Supplement, 120 Count: Sports & Outdoors) and drink whatever sweetened beverage you like for the carbs. That would have to taste better, no?

One problem I can see with the Hammer capsules is they have a fairly significant dosage of magnesium in them which plays havoc with my, umm, uh, "solid waste elimination processes". If I drink mineral water in Europe, the only sights I get to see are the bathroom tiles. Does anyone use electrolyte tablets or capsules with mostly sodium and potassium and very little or no magnesium. I would appreciate a recommendation.
OP, I've been using these for the past 5 years or so with good results and none of the magnesium side effects you describe. If I feel any indications of muscle cramping I take 3 caps and they really have proven to fend the cramps off for me. I always carry them with me during the warmer months.

You can get them on Amazon for about 1/3 the cost of the Hammer Nutrition product.
Old 08-03-14, 07:45 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I like a little bit of electrolyte deprivation during my rides. It makes the pizza somehow taste "refreshing". Or a big pub burger with a bloody mary. And then the pickles.
Old 08-03-14, 08:16 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Skratch designed their product to provide hydration as fast as possible through the gastric tract by carefully controlling the osmolality of the solution via sugars and citrates. In their recipe book, "Feed Zone Portables", skratch discloses the proportions of the various ingredients used in their product. You could diy it if you want.
Old 08-03-14, 08:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
OP, I've been using these for the past 5 years or so with good results and none of the magnesium side effects you describe. If I feel any indications of muscle cramping I take 3 caps and they really have proven to fend the cramps off for me. I always carry them with me during the warmer months.

You can get them on Amazon for about 1/3 the cost of the Hammer Nutrition product.
Thanks. Is it possible you might be able to post the sodium, potassium, and magnesium content per capsule? I would appreciate that as I can't find the information online.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-03-14, 08:37 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Other than the small amount of food coloring, is it really much different than any other drink like the one you recommended? I highly doubt there would be any difference in performance. So the short answer to your question is: people use it because it works well for it's intended purpose.
+1 I fill a 20 oz. camelback container 3/4 full with the blue gatorade and freeze it. Just before I go out I top it off with warm gatorade and stuff it in my bike holder. By the time I need to drink it's ready and cold. It will eventually completely unfreeze after about 2 hrs 15 min., the length of my normal ride. Flame me but i think there is too much obsessing over what amounts to miniscule differences between products. I like the flavor and it seems to fill my needs.

Rich
Old 08-03-14, 08:37 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok great, it taste better, but look at the nutrional facta

Amount Per Serving: Calories 80, Calories from Fat 0, Total Fat 0g (0% DV), Saturated Fat 0g (0% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 360mg (15% DV), Potassium 40mg (1% DV), Total Carbohydrate 21g (7% DV), Fiber 0g (0% DV), Sugars 20g, Protein 0g, Vitamin A (0% DV), Vitamin C (35% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (0% DV), Magnesium (10% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Basically it is the same as Gatorade
- I don't notice the Gatorade taste
- I buy the powered Gatorade to keep the cost down.
Old 08-03-14, 10:46 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I'd rather not have antioxidants in an endurance drink mix. Gatorade is cleaner.
Old 08-04-14, 12:18 AM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a highly tuned athlete. I ride 30-40 miles mid week and a 100 mile ride once a week. It's not the TdF, I'm not racing crits, I'm not cat 1/2, I'm just pedaling around. I try not to think too much about what's in my "sports" drink. I drink Gatorade mainly because it's available at almost any store I frequent. It tastes different from water and sometimes I just like something to taste different than water. I suppose if I wanted to put more thought into it I'd hang out at my LOB and read labels but I'm just not that kinda guy. I usually buy a small bottle of Gatorade half way into a ride and throw it in a water bottle. As I drink it and refill it, I'll just water down the Gatorade. The other bottle will just have plain water. I try to keep one only with water in it so I can hose myself down if I'm too hot. Unless it's EXCESSIVELY hot I believe cramping is 80% due to fitness and not an electrolyte deficiency.
Old 08-04-14, 01:26 AM
kelsodeez

Bikes: are pretty cool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
smartwater contains electrolytes. i usually set out for the day with one bottle full of smartwater and a second bottle with half grape gatorade and half smartwater. that seems to be the winning combination for me, but everyone is different.
Old 08-04-14, 03:24 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to the original topic, I'll drink vs. eat because on a long ride I'll reach a point where I get tired of eating food and have to get most calories in liquid form. Drink powder is light and easy to carry, too.
Old 08-04-14, 03:47 AM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatorade gives me heartburn. I like Scratch, the pineapple flavor the best.
Old 08-04-14, 04:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Gatorade gives me mouth sores. If I use a little bit of it, my mouth feels fuzzy and I start to develop a mild sore throat. If I use a lot of it, on a long ride, I get numerous horrible mouth sores, so bad it is hard to eat.

I have trouble thinking of Gatorade as "clean", as described by another poster.
Old 08-04-14, 04:37 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I'd rather not have antioxidants in an endurance drink mix. Gatorade is cleaner.
Love Gatorade, been a fan of it for over 12 years.

Old 08-04-14, 05:26 AM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Gatorade gives me mouth sores. If I use a little bit of it, my mouth feels fuzzy and I start to develop a mild sore throat. If I use a lot of it, on a long ride, I get numerous horrible mouth sores, so bad it is hard to eat.

I have trouble thinking of Gatorade as "clean", as described by another poster.
One slice of raw tomato makes my best friend's mouth break out in sores, it's called an allergy.
Old 08-04-14, 05:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo
One slice of raw tomato makes my best friend's mouth break out in sores, it's called an allergy.
That is ... yes.

My reaction to gatorade may be an allergy ... but probably not.

Last edited by Machka; 08-04-14 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 06:28 AM
bruin11

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Is it possible you might be able to post the sodium, potassium, and magnesium content per capsule? I would appreciate that as I can't find the information online.
NutriBiotic Essential Electrolytes 100 caps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SupFactNB560.jpg (46.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-04-14, 06:32 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Not Applicable, because in the ER they'll put an IV in you and run fluids. But in Africa and other places where good medical equipment is not plentiful and readily available, they'll replace with an oral electrolyte solution (aka Gatorade or Pedialyte or whatever you want to call it)
It's not applicable in every application, but IV is the most efficient way to get electrolytes back into the system. Heat exhaustion leads to severe consequences if left unchecked. That's why anyone in exercise (or even non exercise ) mode can't ignore it. The better the science to get these vital signs, the better the rider will know how to react even before the body sends warning signals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.