Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel bars. 12degrees or more?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 12:37 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

I have the Cowbell on my monster gravel bike and like it. Anyone go with the wider drops on cx/graveler?
i need new barz...
Old 12-26-19, 03:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
https://salsacycles.com/components/c...ars/cowchipper

Go to the next bar in the lineup- the Cowchipper. Its right between the Cowbell and the Woodchipper bars.
I love my Cowchippers- they are comforable on the hoods, tops, hooks, and drops.
Old 12-26-19, 03:25 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Old 12-26-19, 04:00 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Im sure it’s a personal preference, but I have a bike with cowbells and another one other cowchippers, my vote goes toward cowchippers...just seems like my wrists are in a more natural position.
Old 12-26-19, 11:37 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Woodchipper?

I have read a post about the inability for those wide bars to be set up for comfortable riding on the drops AND the hoods. Any truth to this? I'm curious if that's why Shimano GRX has the intermediate brake levers.
Old 12-27-19, 08:21 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Cowbell for me. I am betting like a lot of other trends in bikes, bar flare trends will keep going wider to the extreme then the norm will settle back to something close to the Cowbell. I personally find the wider bars make you wider on the bike and that makes it harder to maneuver around trees, other bikes, bike path bollards & gates, and between ingenerous cars and cement shoulder barriers... I have had one incidence where I was crossing a narrow road bridge and a passing car squeezed me to the barrir on the side. I had maybe an inch on either side of the drops. If I had wider bars I would have had no room to maintain steering without scraping one side or the other (or both). If you do go to a more flared bar I recommend going to a narrower bar overall...
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 12-27-19, 10:35 AM
ober27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
After looking at, and handling, all three Salsa bars at a bike shop, I chose the Woodchippers. I've ridden several hundred miles now since installation. I have to say that they are the most comfortable bars I've ever used, both on the hoods and in the drops. I have great access to the brake levers from both positions. The angle of both the drops and the hoods feel very natural to my arms and wrists.
The width at the end of the drops can be a challenge at times, especially since I have bar end shifters. It hasn't been a problem in the woods, or on single track since they're not any wider than many MTB bars. Moving the bike around in the garage is more of a challenge to keep the shifters from scratching the cars, hauling multiple bikes on our hitch rack requires a bit of adjustment with the shifters sticking out so far.
Obviously it's a personal preference, but I wouldn't want any less flare or sweep. One nice thing is if you try one and don't like it, they sell for very close to new price on Craigslist or Facebook.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-27-19, 11:04 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Have a Cowbell on my rig ATM....replacing with with a bar similar to a Cowchipper:

https://spank-ind.com/products/spank...84%A2-drop-bar

Problem being I saved $30 by ordering it from the UK December 1, and it is still in the mail. Allegedly at JFK,. now. Ugh. Probably not seeing it until 2020.
Old 12-27-19, 11:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm gonna guess Salsa measures their flare per side, because my Thomson Dirt Drop is similarly listed as 25º flare, but has nowhere near the splayed-out look of the Woodchipper. The Spank bar mentioned above looks very similar to the Thomson, and is also listed as 25º flare.

If you want a lot of space for clamping stuff, take a look at the Thomson. It's my 3rd flared bar so far, and I'm perfectly satisfied with it.
Old 12-27-19, 04:01 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Woodchipper?

I have read a post about the inability for those wide bars to be set up for comfortable riding on the drops AND the hoods. Any truth to this? I'm curious if that's why Shimano GRX has the intermediate brake levers.
That's Steve from Curve in the pic, with a Walmer bar fitted.
Old 12-30-19, 11:04 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I have the Cowbell on my monster gravel bike and like it. Anyone go with the wider drops on cx/graveler?
i need new barz...
If you like your Cowbell bars why do you need new barz?

And what width are you looking for? I have a set of Cowchippers I don't need.
Old 12-30-19, 11:29 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by shoota
If you like your Cowbell bars why do you need new barz?

And what width are you looking for? I have a set of Cowchippers I don't need.
if i was not clear it i s for a different bike .
Old 12-30-19, 11:30 AM
shoota 

if i was not clear it i s for a different bike .
Ahhh, makes sense. So what width Cowchipper are you looking for? I'll have to double check the width of mine when I get home.
Old 12-30-19, 11:52 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by shoota
Ahhh, makes sense. So what width Cowchipper are you looking for? I'll have to double check the width of mine when I get home.
i am just unsure how the wider bars feel and this is for a cx / gravel bike the other is a 26 inch gravel beast that i have cowbells on. Im seeking more top bar space but the wider flares 24 degrees i am not so sure so seeking feedback.
Old 12-30-19, 11:55 AM
shoota 

i am just unsure how the wider bars feel and this is for a cx / gravel bike the other is a 26 inch gravel beast that i have cowbells on. I'm seeking more top bar space but the wider flares 24 degrees i am not so sure so seeking feedback.
If you're going to race cx with this bike then I wouldn't go with any more flare than the Cowbells. If it's going to be 100% gravel then the extra flare of the Cowchipper starts to make more sense
Old 12-30-19, 02:29 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
cowchipper lover here as well for gravel. I still run without flare on the CX bike but in a wider width since I use the hoods 99% of the time there
Old 02-25-20, 08:58 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://salsacycles.com/components/c...ars/cowchipper

Go to the next bar in the lineup- the Cowchipper. Its right between the Cowbell and the Woodchipper bars.
I love my Cowchippers- they are comforable on the hoods, tops, hooks, and drops.
what's the reach on your cowchipper? It says 68mm on their website but other places I've seen 79.2mm and 96mm so I'm not sure how and what points they're measuring from.
Old 02-25-20, 09:21 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
i need new barz...
My new Topstone came with a 42cm bar, I need wider so got these in 44, perfect size and a nice bar. Not seen in the photo is they have a bit of a flat top which I like. $35

https://www.jensonusa.com/FSA-NS-Adventure-Drop-Bar
Old 02-25-20, 11:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
what's the reach on your cowchipper? It says 68mm on their website but other places I've seen 79.2mm and 96mm so I'm not sure how and what points they're measuring from.
I would be surprised if its more than the stated 68 since thats really awful to misrepresent such a popular product, and also because they seem relatively short reach to me.
Ill measure tonight.
Old 02-25-20, 12:29 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
cool thanks. I think the other measurements I've seen mentioned might be somehow measuring different points and when I've seen pictures of the cowchipper bars the reach looks pretty short to me. I have the long leg, short torso issue so reach is always a slight issue for me so I was looking at the cowchipper bars in case I need to swap handlebars for something with a shorter reach. My current bars have a 80mm reach.