Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon frame protection

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon frame protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 07:05 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Carbon frame protection

What’s a good solution for carbon frame protection? not large sections or anything. My limit screw was slightly off after swapping wheels and the chain was briefly off scraping the paint off right next to the cassette. Obviously I’ll adjust the derailleur. I don’t care about the paint. Right now I have electrical tape on there. I’m assuming that won’t last. any other around the house solutions? I can always order some regular frame protector tape.
Old 03-19-20, 08:07 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Nail polish
Old 03-19-20, 08:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
The vast majority of surface "incidents" do not bother the structural integrity or long term life of carbon frames. It's not like water will enter the matrix, then freeze and delaminate the lay up. But it's good to recognize the difference between a surface boo boo and an actual insult to the frame. How to do this is best done with the time old method. Show the questionable issue to a more experienced person.

For cosmetic stuff good luck. It's hard to match the color, thickness, glossy amount of the OEM finish with over the counter and after the fact "touch ups". I have found common model paint/nail polish to be good at the kind of close but not exact touch ups. Andy
Old 03-20-20, 06:36 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Nail polish works well and will not be obvious where your damage is located. Stores tend to be pretty good about letting you bring your bike in to match the color.