Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Old vs New Carbon Fiber Frames

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 02:03 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I happened across a pair of early carbon Treks. 2003 model 5500 and a 2004 model 5200. I know opinions on these probably vary wildly, however, what you think about these early carbon fiber Treks and their ride quality in comparison to newer carbon models? Just the frames… not the components.

Old 04-17-20, 02:22 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The 5200 and 5500 are the same frame only the components where different. Trek’s OCLV ‘120’ carbon for the 5000/5200/5599 while the 5900 was the super light weight frame with OCLV ‘110’ carbon.

Supposedly the stock 5500 is what the USPS team used if you believe the marketing copy. Nice bike back in the day with 9sp dura-ace. I think Trek guarantees all their CF OCLV frames for the life of the frame even if it is no longer the original owner.
Old 04-17-20, 02:34 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Here is my 1997 Trek 5500 custom painted in Trek's "Cloud 9" design. Back in those days Trek was a leader in carbon fiber bikes with their first OCLV frame. The only difference that I remember between the 5500 and the 5200 were the components. The 5000 had Shimano 105, the 5200 had Ultegra, and the 5500 had Dura-Ace. Carbon bikes today are stronger, stiffer, and lighter due to the advances in carbon fiber material weaving. My Trek 5500 is what I use on my indoor trainer. A solid bike, but too heavy compared to today's standard.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 04-17-20 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 04-17-20, 02:39 PM
Jicafold

Yes, I know the 5500 and 5200 frames were the same. Interesting comment about the warranty. So if one of the aluminum brake cable guides on the frame has some corrosion and there is some peeling paint in a 2 inch area surrounding it...I could get a new frame?
Old 04-17-20, 02:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had a '00 5200 and it was stiff but comfortable and predictable. It was a bit heavy compared to other CF bikes I had later, but not significantly so. I got mine for $2500 ($3750 in current dollars) and it was a great off-the-peg race bike. Went from 5 to 3 in a couple of seasons on that bike.

But yes, the paint was terrible. It started to bubble and flake along the top tube where I could scrape off big chunks with a thumbnail. Don't think you can warranty it on the basis of the paint job. A frame boss might be a different story. But only if you were the original owner.
Old 04-17-20, 02:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The 5200 and 5500 are the same frame only the components where different. Trek’s OCLV ‘120’ carbon for the 5000/5200/5599 while the 5900 was the super light weight frame with OCLV ‘110’ carbon.

Supposedly the stock 5500 is what the USPS team used if you believe the marketing copy. Nice bike back in the day with 9sp dura-ace. I think Trek guarantees all their CF OCLV frames for the life of the frame even if it is no longer the original owner.
Incorrect, unless they had a different policy in the early 2000s - which seems unlikely.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-20, 03:30 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Incorrect, unless they had a different policy in the early 2000s - which seems unlikely.
“This warranty applies to: All model year 2020 and new bikes .... Any products not specifically included are omitted, but may be included in the 2012-2019 Limited care warranty ... for product purchased before 2012 [contact Trek].

From the Trek Website:
“Trek builds bikes to last and we stand behind every one that we bears our name. Just as the first Trek hand-welded over forty years ago in a red barn, our first full carbon frame is still under warranty. All OCLV Carbon bicycles come with a limited lifetime warranty, because we believe that more people riding bikes is in everybody’s best interest.”

My interpretation of these two page initially is older bikes will still have some limited coverage still, but not newer ones. My 2004 Trek catalog says “every OCLV comes with a limited lifetime warranty”, was this the older policy?

I don’t have direct experience with a Trek warranty claim

Last edited by billridesbikes; 04-17-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-17-20, 07:11 PM
Koyote

billridesbikes , I'll eat my hat if that warranty applies to anyone but the original purchaser.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-20, 07:32 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I'm riding a 2nd hand 2002 5200 Triple 9 speed Ultegra model. I not only tore down the bike completely when I got it, I now have 2500 miles on the bike and the frame is in about as good as condition as one would want. I have to doubts that I'll be riding this for at least another 5-10 years. I don't know how this compares to newer models other than the bikes I pickup at the bike shop seem to be a little lighter than my bike. I don't know how much that helps you but that's my 2 cents.
Old 04-17-20, 09:17 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I'm riding a 2nd hand 2002 5200 Triple 9 speed Ultegra model. I not only tore down the bike completely when I got it, I now have 2500 miles on the bike and the frame is in about as good as condition as one would want. I have to doubts that I'll be riding this for at least another 5-10 years. I don't know how this compares to newer models other than the bikes I pickup at the bike shop seem to be a little lighter than my bike. I don't know how much that helps you but that's my 2 cents.
Thank you. I was concerned about long term durability and ride quality.
Old 08-18-23, 05:35 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
billridesbikes , I'll eat my hat if that warranty applies to anyone but the original purchaser.
Sorry replying to an old thread but I did buy a second hand Trek 5900 that developed the headset issue that was fairly common with this model. Trek first replaced the headset bearings (pressed and glued) directly into the headtube. It seemed to help for a short while then the binding started to happen again. They eventually replaced the proprietary (very odd sized) lower bearings and sleeved the lower race and a new standard size fork to go along with it. All work was done under warranty and no cost to me. I was a little bit shocked.
Old 08-18-23, 06:27 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluechip
Sorry replying to an old thread but I did buy a second hand Trek 5900 that developed the headset issue that was fairly common with this model. Trek first replaced the headset bearings (pressed and glued) directly into the headtube. It seemed to help for a short while then the binding started to happen again. They eventually replaced the proprietary (very odd sized) lower bearings and sleeved the lower race and a new standard size fork to go along with it. All work was done under warranty and no cost to me. I was a little bit shocked.
Sometimes a dealer who sells a ton of the manufacturer's bikes can persuade the manufacturer to go a bit above and beyond for a warranty claim, even if the customer wasn't the original purchaser of the bike. In your case, it may be that Trek had determined that the design caused the problem, maybe because of a raft of warranty claims from their dealers, and had made the decision to do that fix for free for anyone regardless of whether the customer was the original owner.
Old 08-18-23, 06:37 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Absolutely. I believe the fact that this was a known issue contributed to them fixing it under warranty. If it would have been a one off type problem it would have likely been a different story. I was just wanted Koyote to eat his hat. ; )
Likes For Bluechip:
Old 08-18-23, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Sometimes a dealer who sells a ton of the manufacturer's bikes can persuade the manufacturer to go a bit above and beyond for a warranty claim, even if the customer wasn't the original purchaser of the bike. In your case, it may be that Trek had determined that the design caused the problem, maybe because of a raft of warranty claims from their dealers, and had made the decision to do that fix for free for anyone regardless of whether the customer was the original owner.
Or it could’ve been a recall, which is a different matter.

Originally Posted by Bluechip
Absolutely. I believe the fact that this was a known issue contributed to them fixing it under warranty. If it would have been a one off type problem it would have likely been a different story. I was just wanted Koyote to eat his hat. ; )
Fortunately, I bought a new hat just yesterday.