Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 11:37 PM
Aristokrata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laseranimal
...Added new bars...
More info on the bars, please.
Old 06-13-20, 04:54 PM
Laseranimal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Aristokrata
More info on the bars, please.
Found them on eBay

I had Ergon GP3’s on the stock bars which I cut down to 56cm I found 85-90% of my ride I was on the bar ends which I’d set up similar to being on the hoods on a drop bar. My rides can be anything from a nice easy 10 mile cruise with the wife to a more demanding 40-70 mile ride where I’m replacing a long run in my training cycle.

I had considered doing the full drop bar conversion but with hydraulic brakes and 9 speed sora it just seemed really expensive. Plus I really didn’t want a drop bar bike. These have been a nice compromise.

Likes For Laseranimal:
Old 06-13-20, 06:59 PM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sirrus (X) stem top cap removal

Originally Posted by sorenlind
Hi,

I’m new here but hoping you can help. I just bought a Sirrus X 5.0. I’d like to mount my iPhone on it so I find a case and mount called “SP Connect Bike Bundle”. (I would post a link but am not allowed to). It looks nice because you can either place it on the stem or take off the top cap and mount it where the top cap was. But I’m not sure either place works on the X 5.0. For the first, I’m concerned that the stem on the X 5.0 is square (sort of) as opposed to round. And for the second method, I’m confused because the X 5.0 doesn’t seem to have a top cap with a hole for a screw, it’s just a cap that fully closes off everything.

So my question is, can anyone tell me if the “SP Connect Bike Bundle” will fit on the Sirrus X 5.0?

I would attach a couple of photos but seems I’m not allowed to - please correct me if I’m wrong 😊.
Originally Posted by Skiddz
I have the same question - I've loosened both pinch bolts on the stem, and can't seem to get the cap off. None of the Future Shock videos or Specialized documentation I've seen show this part of the disassembly process, so I'm perplexed. I'm going to try and disassemble my girlfriends X 4.0 and see if it'll come off.
Sorenlind - after much searching, i wasn't able to find anything online about the stem top cap removal, so while i was at my LBS today, I asked the sales guy whom i bought my bike from about it. He quickly showed me that the top cap is actually threaded into the upper part of the steer tube/fork assembly. The cap is plastic, with a double-threaded bolt in the bottom of it; one end of the bolt screws into the cap, and then you thread the whole thing down into the steer tube. I removed mine when i got home (and have pics)...let me see if i can post them while in noob status. If not - and you want them - PM me and i can text them to you. I'll post them regardless once i'm able
Old 06-14-20, 01:19 AM
sorenlind

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skiddz
Sorenlind - after much searching, i wasn't able to find anything online about the stem top cap removal, so while i was at my LBS today, I asked the sales guy whom i bought my bike from about it. He quickly showed me that the top cap is actually threaded into the upper part of the steer tube/fork assembly. The cap is plastic, with a double-threaded bolt in the bottom of it; one end of the bolt screws into the cap, and then you thread the whole thing down into the steer tube. I removed mine when i got home (and have pics)...let me see if i can post them while in noob status. If not - and you want them - PM me and i can text them to you. I'll post them regardless once i'm able
Skiddz - thanks a lot. I've not been able to find an answer myself. My LBS told me the phone mount wouldn't fit but they didn't share any details on how to remove the top cap, so I very much appreciate that you posted back here once you found the answer. Did you you try mounting a phone mount after you removed the top cap? I'll PM you for pictures.

Edit: I tried PM'ing you but it appears that's for users with at least 10 posts only. There was also an option to send an email so I did that.

Last edited by sorenlind; 06-14-20 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Add info on PM not being available.
Old 06-22-20, 12:10 PM
Remlap13

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Sirrus owner here! Snagged a 2016 Sirrus Comp Disc from my LBS's used/trade-in rack. I took it for a longer ride yesterday, and was thinking I might want to change out the stock 700x30s that are currently on it. My most frequent riding partner (my wife) just got herself more of a cruiser/comfort style (Norco Scene 1), as she doesn't want to feel forced into riding her Kona Jake when we're looking for a more leisurely trip. Because of this, I'm not as concerned about trimming off some of the "top end" to give myself more flexibility when it comes to gravel and trails.

Any suggestions on what size I should and/or could be looking for? Any suggestions on tire brands?

Taking a quick measure of my forks, it looks like 40s could fit comfortably. That's slightly outside the range specified in the link posted here previously (sheldonbrown site.. I'm not allowed to post URLs yet!) as I believe the interior rim width for these wheels is 17. 40s might also make off the shelf fenders a no-go, so I don't know if going that large makes sense? Browsing this thread, it looks like a couple people have upsized their tires close to that size with success.
Old 06-22-20, 06:30 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
I think the Continental Speed Rides would be right up your alley. They're labeled 42mm tires, but will inflate up to about 38mm on 17mm internal width rims. Here's a look at them on my Trek MultiTrack 750. These are actually 14-15mm internal width rims; they'll be just fine on 17s. They're foldable, they're comfortable to ride, they're light (420g), they're fast, and they're inexpensive (about $25/ea). They're a great deal in tires if you're looking for this type of tire.

Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-23-20, 07:04 AM
Laseranimal

Originally Posted by Remlap13
New Sirrus owner here! Snagged a 2016 Sirrus Comp Disc from my LBS's used/trade-in rack. I took it for a longer ride yesterday, and was thinking I might want to change out the stock 700x30s that are currently on it. My most frequent riding partner (my wife) just got herself more of a cruiser/comfort style (Norco Scene 1), as she doesn't want to feel forced into riding her Kona Jake when we're looking for a more leisurely trip. Because of this, I'm not as concerned about trimming off some of the "top end" to give myself more flexibility when it comes to gravel and trails.

Any suggestions on what size I should and/or could be looking for? Any suggestions on tire brands?

Taking a quick measure of my forks, it looks like 40s could fit comfortably. That's slightly outside the range specified in the link posted here previously (sheldonbrown site.. I'm not allowed to post URLs yet!) as I believe the interior rim width for these wheels is 17. 40s might also make off the shelf fenders a no-go, so I don't know if going that large makes sense? Browsing this thread, it looks like a couple people have upsized their tires close to that size with success.

See my post about 40mm tires on a Sirrus Sport. I have to deflate the rear a bit to get it to fit into the dropouts due to the tight fit near where the chainstay meets the bottom bracket area. The tires were free so they were just an experiment as I prefer my 28mm Conti 4 seasons for the majority of riding I do. If I was going to go with a dedicated gravel type tire I'd probably go with a 35-38mm. If I wanted to go larger than that I'd buy a set of 650b wheels

Last edited by Laseranimal; 06-23-20 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For Laseranimal:
Old 06-23-20, 08:03 AM
Remlap13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome information. This will give me some much needed direction in my search. Thank you both!
Old 06-23-20, 11:12 AM
hokiefyd 

Going to 584mm wheels (often called "650b" or "27.5 inch") is another good idea. In order to keep the same overall diameter as your current tires (30-622), you'd need a 49mm tire. That's not a common size, but 47mm is, which would probably be the most appropriate for your bike...if it'd fit between the chain stay tubes. You could drop down to something like a 42-584, which would almost certainly fit width-wise, but now you're reducing the overall diameter of the tire, which can change the way the bike rides (with respect to front end geometry) and will also lower your bottom bracket. Neither of these is necessarily a big deal, but just something to consider if you're thinking of changing wheels.
Old 06-24-20, 08:22 AM
Remlap13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Going to 584mm wheels (often called "650b" or "27.5 inch") is another good idea. In order to keep the same overall diameter as your current tires (30-622), you'd need a 49mm tire. That's not a common size, but 47mm is, which would probably be the most appropriate for your bike...if it'd fit between the chain stay tubes. You could drop down to something like a 42-584, which would almost certainly fit width-wise, but now you're reducing the overall diameter of the tire, which can change the way the bike rides (with respect to front end geometry) and will also lower your bottom bracket. Neither of these is necessarily a big deal, but just something to consider if you're thinking of changing wheels.
Just due to cost, I'll probably stick with my current wheels for now. It's one thing to swap tires, it's another to do two full wheels as well. If I find that my riding habits are skewing even more towards gravel and trails, that full wheel swap could be intriguing...

This forum & thread is going to be tough on my wallet... I love customizing my toys
Old 06-25-20, 08:01 PM
azjpeg

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, Trek Marlin 5, Gary Fisher Sugar 4+

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all. Just bought a Sirrus X, my first Specialized bike. Other than the left crank arm falling off on a ride this week (apparently a warranty issue), it's been a blast to ride. Have really enjoyed how light and fast it is, especially compared to the mountain bikes I'm used to riding - and it still does pretty well on rocks and dirt.
Likes For azjpeg:
Old 06-26-20, 08:10 AM
hokiefyd 

I love the color!
Old 06-26-20, 11:08 AM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Just got an email from my LBS, fortunately I'm running force cranks

Specialzied Crank Recall in Sirrus Sport, Sirrus X Comp Carbon, Sirrus 3, 4, 3.0X, 4.0X, and 5.0X

Specialized Link
Old 06-26-20, 02:13 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGurty

Specialzied Crank Recall in Sirrus Sport, Sirrus X Comp Carbon, Sirrus 3, 4, 3.0X, 4.0X, and 5.0X
Hi. Just bought a new Sirrus X 5.0 today and they had told me about that. They had both a green and a blue one, but the blue one had new cranks they say Specialized shipped them. I wanted the green, so they are swapping them over for me.

The Cranks and BB are SRAM Apex branded. So that seems like a slight upgrade to the no names. Same 42t chainring.

Anyway, excited to get the bike and really ride it.

it will go along with my Specialized Roll Elite LTD.
Old 06-26-20, 06:00 PM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The left crank on my 2020, ~100mi-old Sirrus X 5.0 fell off last weekend. I almost caught it beforehand...felt the pedal arc go "out of round", so i eased up but before i could look down it fell off. The bolts were still tight, but i loosened them up and after inspecting the spindle and crank arm splines (some deformation, but not bad), I was able to reinstall it and properly torque it. I used the torque value shown on the crank arm, and the bolts are now significantly tighter than they were originally. Nevertheless, i took it back to my LBS where i bought it a month ago, and they took it apart, inspected it, and put it back together the same way i did with a new crank button on the end. I checked the torque when i got home, and its the same as what i used.

I also bought a Sirrus X 4.0 for my girlfriend a month ago, so i checked hers, and one of the bolts was significantly under-torqued. The threads didn't feel right when i tried to torque it, so I left it as-is. She had knee surgery two days ago, so hers will sit until Specialized figures out what they're going to do to employ a proper fix. In the meantime, I'm still riding my 5.0 daily and keeping an eye (and torque wrench) on it.

Regardless of these problems, we love these bikes - bought them for "urban exploring" so we can leave our mountain bikes at home and enjoy the nimbleness of this type of "fitness" platform. Both bikes are lightweight (i measured 23.7lbs for the Small 4.0, and 22.8lbs for the Large 5.0), have excellent brakes, and the Future Shock actually helps reduce the small jolts that are transmitted through the bars in pavement settings. Granted, it isn't a regular fork and isn't damped, but it works well for its intended purpose.

Pedal on!

Last edited by Skiddz; 06-26-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 06:26 PM
Jagamov

Well, I want to retract my previous statement.

The SRAM Apex cranks were the LBS fix, not from Specialized. So, who knows, but I’m happy as they seem like fine cranks and obviously no worse than the other no names.

Also, this is my first bike with a seat like this. Would y’all say it’s a good seat, or not worth trying to get used to it? I know seats are personal, I just mean from a general sense.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-20, 08:00 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagamov
Well, I want to retract my previous statement.

The SRAM Apex cranks were the LBS fix, not from Specialized. So, who knows, but I’m happy as they seem like fine cranks and obviously no worse than the other no names.

Also, this is my first bike with a seat like this. Would y’all say it’s a good seat, or not worth trying to get used to it? I know seats are personal, I just mean from a general sense.

Thanks.
I have this same bike with the same stock seat, it's been fine for me so far and I've had rides as long as 30 miles over rough gravel roads and it feels pretty comfortable . . . I'm not likely to change it.
Old 06-27-20, 11:48 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGurty

Specialized Link
Thanks for the heads-up!

Checked with lbs this morning -- they have 'the parts' from Specialized, and will do the recall for me ('19 Sirrus X Comp, still with stock cranks) Monday. Apparently, an unnecessary spacer was factory-installed on the left (non-drive side) crank, which therefore will, eventually, fail w/o warning.

Hoping 'the parts' are an Apex 1x crank, but I don't really care as the crankset will, eventually, be significantly upgraded.
Old 06-27-20, 12:20 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
My wife and I picked up 2020 Sirrus X5s one month ago. What a fantastic bike! I'm looking into swapping the bars on mine with drop bars, similar to the Specialized Diverge. According to my LBS it will be quite a challenge, necessitating changing the hydraulic lines, shifter cable, shifter and brake levers. They were unable to come up with a groupset that I could use. Any ideas?

I just read about the crank recall on these; BUMMER!
Old 06-27-20, 12:52 PM
Laseranimal

Originally Posted by badger1
Thanks for the heads-up!

Checked with lbs this morning -- they have 'the parts' from Specialized, and will do the recall for me ('19 Sirrus X Comp, still with stock cranks) Monday. Apparently, an unnecessary spacer was factory-installed on the left (non-drive side) crank, which therefore will, eventually, fail w/o warning.

Hoping 'the parts' are an Apex 1x crank, but I don't really care as the crankset will, eventually, be significantly upgraded.
Hmmm better call my LBS. I'd completely replaced the stock crankset on my 19 Sirrus Sport with a Shimano Sora. Didn't notice an extra spacer when I pulled the crankset. I'll have to go take another look to make sure
Old 06-27-20, 01:01 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Originally Posted by 900ss
My wife and I picked up 2020 Sirrus X5s one month ago. What a fantastic bike! I'm looking into swapping the bars on mine with drop bars, similar to the Specialized Diverge. According to my LBS it will be quite a challenge, necessitating changing the hydraulic lines, shifter cable, shifter and brake levers. They were unable to come up with a groupset that I could use. Any ideas?

I just checked two LBS, both of which have new X5s in stock. Specialized has put a "stop sale" advisory out until they are fixed. On shop told me the problem will cause the clamp bolts to loosen up and fall off, followed by the crank arm. My wife's bolts are snug, one of mine was loose. It isn't loose now, but I do have some bottom bracket play, where hers has none.
Old 06-27-20, 04:47 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by 900ss

They are a great bike, but -- and please forgive -- don't, really -- dont -- bother thinking about a conversion to drop bars. Seriously. Your lbs is correct: the conversion would be very expensive, although "do-able", but even if you do it, the geometry will never -- ever -- be right. The Sirrus has a longer front-centre than an equivalently-sized Diverge, precisely because flat as opposed to drop bars. That's leaving aside the fact that you would need entirely new groupset (e.g. Shimano GRX), which = money!

If you want a drop-bar bike (e.g. Diverge), get one. Trade in or sell on your X5, and get one. You'll cut your losses, and end up with a bike 'fit for purpose'.
Old 06-27-20, 05:56 PM
Jagamov

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
I have this same bike with the same stock seat, it's been fine for me so far and I've had rides as long as 30 miles over rough gravel roads and it feels pretty comfortable . . . I'm not likely to change it.
Thanks for the feedback! I will give it a chance and see how it does.

Yeah, I had mixed feelings at first cuz I didn’t want bootleg parts, but it’s gotta be better than the OEM stuff and I’m now not likely to change it as it looks and works quite well.

Two new questions:

1. The shop gave me a bag with 3 springs in it. Is the FS a nightmare to disassemble and change them out. Worth it?

2. From my reading it appears the rear disc brake howling is a common problem. What is the quick fix?? I rode 2 5.0’s and they both did it, so I doubt the shop can do anything. Is it just a specific pad change to get it working better and shut it up?

Thanks all!
Old 06-28-20, 10:15 AM
900ss

They are a great bike, but -- and please forgive -- don't, really -- dont -- bother thinking about a conversion to drop bars. Seriously. Your lbs is correct: the conversion would be very expensive, although "do-able", but even if you do it, the geometry will never -- ever -- be right. The Sirrus has a longer front-centre than an equivalently-sized Diverge, precisely because flat as opposed to drop bars. That's leaving aside the fact that you would need entirely new groupset (e.g. Shimano GRX), which = money!

If you want a drop-bar bike (e.g. Diverge), get one. Trade in or sell on your X5, and get one. You'll cut your losses, and end up with a bike 'fit for purpose'.
Good Morning Badger:

Thank you for the advice, from what I have been researching, it seems quite sound. Oh the misery - I looked at the new Turbo Creo yesterday.......

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-20, 02:02 PM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Any new colors for the 2021 Sirrus X 5.0 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.