Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt - Software and other issues?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-08-20, 03:27 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

Been having various issues with my Bolt for the last few months - seems like the company keeps rolling out software updates that fail to fix existing problems or create new ones. Among the ones I've been dealing with:

1) Sensor dropouts - Bolt starts displaying zero speed/cadence/and-or HR
2) Long time to recognize sensors - turn it on but takes 2+ minutes to recognize Tickr and speed/cadence
3) Syncing to Strava and other apps a mess - has to be retried every time
4) Live tracking stops mid-ride (though this seems to have gotten better).

Others have similar experiences? Seems like some pretty basic stuff that used to work well, and now it's not. Causes just a bit of concern . . .
Old 07-08-20, 05:38 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Have not experienced #1 or #2. Had problems with #3 but a recent update (~2 weeks ago?) seems to have fixed it. Also had issues with #4 but have not retried it since the last update.

While the recent issues have been frustrating, they still seem to be fewer and less frequent than what many/some Garmin users experience. And they seem to have resolved at least the issues I was having, relatively quickly. In all, I continue to be impressed by the stability and ease of use of my Wahoo. Despite occasionally getting the itch for something new, it does everything I need and the “just works” factor is invaluable.
Old 07-10-20, 08:29 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I also have not experienced either of the first two issues. However, I have had other issues that don't involve the device updates but rather the companion app. I have had several go arounds with support and it really hasn't been resolved. I started having these issues after getting my new iPhone SE. It seems like there is an incompatibility issues somewhere between their app and something new in the phone that they have yet to address.

Many of the issues concerning sensor dropouts that have been posted in the Wahoo Elemnt User's Group have been with sensors that are connected via BTLE, All my sensors are connected via Ant+ so I have not experienced that issue. I also don't use the Bolt as a means for Live Tracking but that's also a function of the companion app and not the device.

If you haven't visited the User's Group, here is the link for it. Wahoo User's Group You will need a Gmail account if you wish to post anything on the group.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 07-11-20, 03:52 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
One thing they've definitely biffed in one of the last 2-3 updates: it used to be possible to get the Elemnt to receive TICKR data over ANT+. The older TICKRs (like mine) can only handle one BTLE connection at a time. I'm used to riding with the TICKR talking to my Bolt and my Apple Watch both. At this point (if you're current on updates), not possible. I've filed a trouble ticket on this, and they've acknowledged the problem. The newest TICKRs can do ANT+ and up to three BTLE connections at once...I've gotten one, but would like the old setup to work. I've seen complaints elsewhere about this breaking folks' existing use models.

--Richard
Old 07-11-20, 04:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My only problem is the #3 , I have to force-upload rides to Strava every time. I've just gotten used to the process, really. I was on a Hammerhead Karoo previously and a Garmin 520 before that, so the stability of the Wahoo feels like a holiday every day for me.

I don't use BT anything, but plenty of sensors-- PM and Wahoo Speed on every bike, plus a Varia 510 and a Garmin HRM.
Old 07-13-20, 05:13 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
I’ve had issues with #3 as well as continue using issues getting text messages to be shown on my Roam. Completely unpairing the phone and Roam and repairing fixed the Strava uploading issues completely. And it resolves the text message issue for about three days and then they stop displaying again.
Old 07-13-20, 06:51 AM
John_V 

Seems like all these issues started with the release of their WB15-7502 firmware update that was released in early May. Since that release, a total of three more updates were released in the same month; none of which seemed to correct some of the issues. That was in the middle of the shutdown and I'm sure that all their developers were working from home at the time. This may have attributed to a lot of miscommunication between them and maybe also some QC/testing issues. There's also issues with the companion app, which is the reason #3 is broken. I hope Wahoo gets their act together soon and gets back to the old Wahoo we all know and love.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 07-18-20, 12:03 PM
jandnvh

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have issues too. Bought a new hrm, because I thought thenold one was broken. New one has the same problems. When I need hr the most, it fails, like going uphill where hr is in the 150’s. Wahoo shows 110 or lower.

Also doesn’t cync rides to the app anymore. Last successful cync was July 4th.

frustrating!
Old 07-19-20, 08:35 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by jandnvh
I have issues too. Bought a new hrm, because I thought thenold one was broken. New one has the same problems. When I need hr the most, it fails, like going uphill where hr is in the 150’s. Wahoo shows 110 or lower.

Also doesn’t cync rides to the app anymore. Last successful cync was July 4th.

frustrating!
This is another issue that has been a topic on the Google Wahoo User's Forum. The issue appears to happen if the sensors are connected via BTLE. Those that have their sensors connected via Ant+ are not experiencing sensor dropouts. If you have your sensors connected via BTLE, unpair the senors from the Bolt. Use a cycling phone app that can connect to sensors. Wahoo Fitness app (not the companion app) is a good one that is free. Connect all your sensors to the phone app. This will connect the sensors using BTLE. Keeping the phone app running and the sensors connected, connect the sensors to your computer using the Ant+ channel of the sensors. You will have to do make these connections using the Elemnt/Bolt/Roam and not the companion app. Unless you do a factory reset, your device should always connect via the Ant+ channel.

The sync issue appears to be a companion app issue. I have worked around it by not connecting the app and my Bolt when doing a ride. After I end the ride, I open the app and it syncs without an issue. The issue then becomes uploading to third party sites. It seems the upload gets hung up and never happens. You can work around that by interrupting the upload and do a Retry. That seems to work for now.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-19-20, 11:55 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Strava sync has been buggy for a while....Sadly my Bolt just had its power-button cover detach from the switch--and there's hardly anything to re-adhere with....debating buying a different computer or not.
Old 07-19-20, 01:49 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I had some issues, but after the last firmware update and the last app update it works every time. Running on an iPhone if that makes a difference.
Old 07-20-20, 08:37 AM
drewguy

Originally Posted by John_V
This is another issue that has been a topic on the Google Wahoo User's Forum. The issue appears to happen if the sensors are connected via BTLE. Those that have their sensors connected via Ant+ are not experiencing sensor dropouts. If you have your sensors connected via BTLE, unpair the senors from the Bolt. Use a cycling phone app that can connect to sensors. Wahoo Fitness app (not the companion app) is a good one that is free. Connect all your sensors to the phone app. This will connect the sensors using BTLE. Keeping the phone app running and the sensors connected, connect the sensors to your computer using the Ant+ channel of the sensors. You will have to do make these connections using the Elemnt/Bolt/Roam and not the companion app. Unless you do a factory reset, your device should always connect via the Ant+ channel.

The sync issue appears to be a companion app issue. I have worked around it by not connecting the app and my Bolt when doing a ride. After I end the ride, I open the app and it syncs without an issue. The issue then becomes uploading to third party sites. It seems the upload gets hung up and never happens. You can work around that by interrupting the upload and do a Retry. That seems to work for now.
Thanks - just so I understand the "fix" in your first paragraph, the idea is that by having the BTLE "channel" connect to the phone app, it forces the Wahoo Elemnt to connect by Ant+ to the sensors, and sets it that way for the future?
Old 07-21-20, 05:30 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by drewguy
Thanks - just so I understand the "fix" in your first paragraph, the idea is that by having the BTLE "channel" connect to the phone app, it forces the Wahoo Elemnt to connect by Ant+ to the sensors, and sets it that way for the future?
Yes! Having the BTLE channel of your sensors connected to your phone will force the Elemnt/Bolt/Roam to connect to the sensors via Ant+. Make sure that when you are connecting your sensors to the phone, that your computer is turned off or you are out of BTLE discovery range. The first time I did this, my speed sensor wouldn't connect to the phone because it was trying to connect to my Bolt.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 07-21-20, 05:36 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Strava sync has been buggy for a while....Sadly my Bolt just had its power-button cover detach from the switch--and there's hardly anything to re-adhere with....debating buying a different computer or not.
I had the cover over the right buttons come loose on me. Didn't look as if there was anyway to fix it. I used super glue, applied with a straight pin, along the edges and it worked.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-23-20, 10:59 AM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
I have an Wahoo Elment Roam. The problem I'm have is with Live Tracking, it works until I come to a stop and the Elment Roam pauses, when I resume my wife is unable to track me. If I never come to a stop it will work for the duration of my ride. Wahoo knows of the problem and say they are working on a solution. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-23-20, 11:29 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim58
I have an Wahoo Elment Roam. The problem I'm have is with Live Tracking, it works until I come to a stop and the Elment Roam pauses, when I resume my wife is unable to track me. If I never come to a stop it will work for the duration of my ride. Wahoo knows of the problem and say they are working on a solution. Anyone else experience this?
I would hazard a guess that they contracted LiveTrack out to Garmin, as it's hit and miss there as well.
Old 07-23-20, 12:54 PM
drewguy

Originally Posted by jimjim58
Yes. I hadn't noticed that as the cause, but the same result. I haven't had the problem in a few weeks, however - I think a software or firmware update fixed it. Have you applied all the recent updates? (I have a Bolt but would guess the issue arises from the same programming flaw.)
Old 07-23-20, 01:09 PM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes. I hadn't noticed that as the cause, but the same result. I haven't had the problem in a few weeks, however - I think a software or firmware update fixed it. Have you applied all the recent updates? (I have a Bolt but would guess the issue arises from the same programming flaw.)
Yes I've installed updates nearly everyday, still not fixed as of last nights ride.
Old 07-25-20, 04:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
I decided to try LiveTrack again today after giving up on it a couple of months ago. My wife says I never left the house....
Old 07-27-20, 02:50 PM
John_V 

The Live Tracking issue is a function of the companion app. Lately, it's been totally useless. It not only has issues with Live Tracking but other serious problems as well. They're supposed to release a new update today. I don't know if they actually fixed anything since they haven't been doing too well in the updating department. I've had several tickets with support who tell me it's fixed but the app continues to fail and sometimes crashes.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress