Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is anybody using the Syntace P6 Hiflex seatpost?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-12-20, 07:33 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I haven’t found a large variety of reviews especially on forums relating to the syntace p6. My bike came with a fsa sl-k Carbon fiber 0mm offset seatpost. I’m looking for a seatpost to mainly take some of the edge off some of the road vibrations as on longer rides that can take a big toll on my lower back.

I tried the redshift shockstop post. I thought it was good but with it’s offset (which is admittedly not much. 8mm I think) it doesn’t quite work with my bike fit. It puts the clamp at the very back of the saddle rails.

I currently am trying the thudbuster st. That has a 0mm offset but it’s ugly, very heavy, and cramming a light and saddle bag there is less than ideal. It works and I may end up keeping it.

that leads me to think about the syntace p6. Has anybody used that on their gravel bike? How much flex is their? Enough to make a difference
Old 07-12-20, 04:41 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I haven’t found a large variety of reviews especially on forums relating to the syntace p6. My bike came with a fsa sl-k Carbon fiber 0mm offset seatpost. I’m looking for a seatpost to mainly take some of the edge off some of the road vibrations as on longer rides that can take a big toll on my lower back.

I tried the redshift shockstop post. I thought it was good but with it’s offset (which is admittedly not much. 8mm I think) it doesn’t quite work with my bike fit. It puts the clamp at the very back of the saddle rails.

I currently am trying the thudbuster st. That has a 0mm offset but it’s ugly, very heavy, and cramming a light and saddle bag there is less than ideal. It works and I may end up keeping it.

that leads me to think about the syntace p6. Has anybody used that on their gravel bike? How much flex is their? Enough to make a difference
I have owned both ST and LT thudbuster post each great bug too much for my gravel bike. I seek just some flex frame is beast still unforgiving old school design before comfort was a thing..
Old 07-12-20, 06:58 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have been using the RedShift and it is great. Is having it at the back of the seat rails that big of a problem? I find setting it at 5 pounds over my weight eliminates bob and keeps it at just dampening the big hits. The Thudbuster works but it is a dinosaur compared the the elegant RedShift!
Old 07-13-20, 07:21 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I have been using the RedShift and it is great. Is having it at the back of the seat rails that big of a problem? I find setting it at 5 pounds over my weight eliminates bob and keeps it at just dampening the big hits. The Thudbuster works but it is a dinosaur compared the the elegant RedShift!
I wouldn’t say it’s THAT big a problem. But I don’t like have to compromise the fit of my bike to accommodate a component. Part of the problem is that with it pushed to the back of the rails I’m barely able to get it in the position where the saddle nose to handle bars measurements match my fit. And in theory redshift recommends 5mm more forward. That’s not set in stone just their guideline. I don’t like having any wiggle room. Basically it comes down to the redshift has a slight offset, wanting to push it a few mm more forward, and the redshift rail clamp is slightly longer so I’m losing a fair amount of saddle rail. Not the end of the world but I feel like for long gravel rides my bike fit becomes more important.
Old 07-13-20, 07:51 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by dwmckee

hmm. Now I’m considering the pnw coast dropper suspension post. I don’t actually need to the dropper part. But it’s zero offset and has suspension.
Old 07-13-20, 11:04 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I have one. The niner RDO is the same seatpost and there's a lab test video showing that it flexes up to 8mm vs 4mm for a regular carbon post
Old 07-13-20, 12:39 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Elvo
I have one. The niner RDO is the same seatpost and there's a lab test video showing that it flexes up to 8mm vs 4mm for a regular carbon post
interesting. thanks. It's tempting for sure as I feel like a little reduction in vibration through to my back makes a big difference on a long gravel ride.
Old 07-13-20, 02:06 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Is this it? I don’t see anything on their site that claims amount of travel. How is it different from other carbon seatposts?

Old 07-13-20, 07:33 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Is this it? I don’t see anything on their site that claims amount of travel. How is it different from other carbon seatposts?

my understanding is it’s in how the carbon fibers are layered allowing a bit of flex when riding on rough roads/gravel/bumps. it’s been around for years. I don’t know if they’ve made improvements. I don’t know if they make specific claims about the amount of flex give. It will vary based on rider weight, how far the seatpost is down in seattube, etc. I actually road one like 5 years ago and the bike it was on was super comfortable. I had a bike fit done and the fitter was making adjustments to my bike and asked if I wanted to take his bike for a spin. It was a bianchi road bike with tubular tires, and it had the syntace seat post. It was very comfortable. He swore by the syntace seatpost. So it seemed to work for him. My bike is pretty comfortable but no matter how comfortable when you get into those really long gravel rides the rough stuff takes it’s toll on your body. For me, especially my lower back. But I also need to change my tires to tubeless and lower the psi a bit.
Old 07-13-20, 09:43 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
This is what you're looking for https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product...=43000025&s=cf