Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 720 medium USA newbie question

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 06:02 PM
Chatham Beach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope I can get some advice. My husband and I recently got a place on the Cape and we would like to bike together. I like to get a decent bang for the buck. I see a medium size Trek for sale for $195. I am looking for something for on the road and bike trails with an occasional gravel or dirt path thrown in. I am 5'5 and haven't been on a bike in about ten years. I want a comfortable ride that is more upright. Is this a good buy? What should I watch out for? I cannot post a link as This is my first post. Would it be wiser to get a new or used bike at a bike store? I have been reading up and think this might be a good fit for my needs but would appreciate your advice and suggestions.

I have a seven pound toy poodle and would like to get a pet basket so he can come with us. Does this come into play when choosing a bike?

Thank you.
Old 08-20-17, 06:57 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! The Trek 720 Multi Track is a great bike, but I think the asking price for that one is pretty steep. The bike closest to that one sold today is the Trek Verve. The Verve 1 starts at $439, and it comes with very basic components that will get you on the road. You'll also have a warranty on it and free tune-ups from the bike shop for either as long as you own it or for a set period of time (bike shops differ on this). The Verve is an upright bike that will likely give you the comfort you're looking for. Other great bikes in this market segment are the Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cypress. If your bike shop offers a certain brand other than these, let us know and we can suggest bikes from that brand that will likely suit you. Of course, guidance from your local bike shop is worth a lot, as they're the ones who will service it and help you find something that fits.

If you like the thrill of a deal on a used bike, and/or like working on older stuff to keep it up, a used bike can be a great value. I do think that 720 is priced high, though. I'd be more comfortable at $100 on it, depending on condition. If it's in pristine condition and it's in your size and if it's a color that you just have to have, then maybe it's worth the asking price to you. If it needs anything, though (like cables or brake pads or tires), the cost savings on a used bike will be quickly eaten up in the cost of new parts (and labor if you have the parts installed).

Good luck! Let us know what you end up deciding.
Old 08-20-17, 07:28 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I like buying new myself, because I feel the service at the bike store is worth every penny. Most stores offer a period of free maintenance/adjustments for some time after the purchase. I'm lucky enough that my local Trek store offers lifetime. In the months I've been riding again, I've been a frequent visitor to get things tweaked just right, and their service has been worth its weight in gold. Not sure what the stores will be like near you, but I think they're worth checking out, because a relationship with a good store can make the whole experience better.
Old 08-21-17, 06:26 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
195 will not get you anywhere close to a 720 new in a shop. Even a shop sold used bike will run much higher than that. Depending on where you live, this price is not too bad, if - it's in good condition.

A used bike that needs work can quicky rack up bill in a bike shop, so buying used is better for people who know what to look for and how to cheaply fix them up (don't need a bike shop). By paying someone to do all the work, there is little value in that 720. Very rarely do used bikes need zero work done; I usually throw on new brake pads, cables, chain, pedals, saddle, grips, tires, and toss gripshift.

If the bike needs little to no work done, it might be a decent deal - after haggling. A good option is a used bike from a shop. It will cost a bit more but it will not have any issues as they are usually rebuilt frame up and carry free tune ups usually as well. New hybrids start at around 450, but don't have the old bike look, which some people like.
Old 08-21-17, 06:27 AM
Chatham Beach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both for your advice. I did see a Verve hanging up in a bike store. I see there are three Verves. Are the components on the Verve two or three worth the additional cost? I also saw a Specialized, not sure which model. Perhaps new would be the safer bet. The bike stores I have been to are small and I did not see a Giant Cypress.

The point about establishing a relationship with a bike store is well taken. I live in CT and had been looking around here but I probably should be looking around the Cape where I will be biking. As I narrow down my search I will update this thread as I am woefully ignorant on what to look for.
Old 08-21-17, 06:35 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Chatham Beach
I hope I can get some advice. My husband and I recently got a place on the Cape and we would like to bike together. I like to get a decent bang for the buck. I see a medium size Trek for sale for $195. I am looking for something for on the road and bike trails with an occasional gravel or dirt path thrown in. I am 5'5 and haven't been on a bike in about ten years. I want a comfortable ride that is more upright. Is this a good buy? What should I watch out for? I cannot post a link as This is my first post. Would it be wiser to get a new or used bike at a bike store? I have been reading up and think this might be a good fit for my needs but would appreciate your advice and suggestions.

I have a seven pound toy poodle and would like to get a pet basket so he can come with us. Does this come into play when choosing a bike?

Thank you.
A used 720 would be perfect for what you are looking to do. As for the price, it depends on the condition. Is the frame clean, or does it look a little beat up? Are consumables (tires, brake pads, chain, freewheel/freehub) recently replaced or does it need some work? If the former, than $200 is a fair price. If the latter, then try to get it cheaper as replacing a bunch of stuff will add up. All that said, for half the price of a new entry level hybrid, I would probably go with the used 720 with the above caveats.
Old 08-21-17, 06:39 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
195 will not get you anywhere close to a 720 new in a shop. Even a shop sold used bike will run much higher than that. Depending on where you live, this price is not too bad, if - it's in good condition.

A used bike that needs work can quicky rack up bill in a bike shop, so buying used is better for people who know what to look for and how to cheaply fix them up (don't need a bike shop). By paying someone to do all the work, there is little value in that 720. Very rarely do used bikes need zero work done; I usually throw on new brake pads, cables, chain, pedals, saddle, grips, tires, and toss gripshift.

If the bike needs little to no work done, it might be a decent deal - after haggling. A good option is a used bike from a shop. It will cost a bit more but it will not have any issues as they are usually rebuilt frame up and carry free tune ups usually as well. New hybrids start at around 450, but don't have the old bike look, which some people like.
IMO, if you can get a used bike ready to ride for half the price of a new entry level, you are doing alright. New entry level is $400 to $500, so total investment of $200 to $250 and you are OK. Now, that could be a beat up frame that you get for really cheap and pay someone to restore or restore yourself, or just go to a bike shop or flipper and get something ready to ride.

Also, it helps if you find a bike that was mid level or higher when it was new.
Old 08-21-17, 06:53 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by MRT2
Also, it helps if you find a bike that was mid level or higher when it was new.
Ya. Considering the negligible price differences in the used market, a 750 would be a better score for sure with its all cro-moly frame and better parts; and not impossible to find.
Old 08-21-17, 07:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Thank you both for your advice. I did see a Verve hanging up in a bike store. I see there are three Verves. Are the components on the Verve two or three worth the additional cost? I also saw a Specialized, not sure which model. Perhaps new would be the safer bet. The bike stores I have been to are small and I did not see a Giant Cypress.
Is the Verve 2 or 3 worth the additional cost over the 1? I see a case for upgrading to the Verve 2, but probably not the Verve 3.

Verve 1 - $440 - 7 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain with freewheel and fixed quill stem
Verve 2 - $550 - 8 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain with cassette and adjustable quill stem
Verve 3 - $660 - 9 speed Shimano Alivio drivetrain with cassette and adjustable quill stem

Cassette hubs are generally more robust than are freewheel hubs, and the adjustable quill stem will give you more adjustment range than the standard quill stem. It's another $110 for the Verve 2, but probably worth it. From what I see, the additional $110 beyond that for the Verve 3 gets you a 9 speed cassette instead of an 8 speed cassette, and a better derailleur. I personally would not spend the extra coin. All Verves come with trigger shifters (click to shift).

Specialized's offering in this market is the Crossroads.

Crossroads - $440 - 7 speed Shimano Tourney drivetrain with freewheel and adjustable quill stem and twist shifters
Crossroads Sport - $510 - 8 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain with cassette and adjustable quill stem and trigger shifters
Crossroads Elite - $750 - 9 speed Shimano Acera drivetrain with cassette and fixed stem and trigger shifters

The specs on the base Crossroads are pretty much identical to the Verve 1, except that the Crossroads comes with twist shifters on the base model, whereas the Verve has trigger shifters. The Crossroads Sport looks to be the best value out of all of these -- with the same drivetrain and stem and shifter type as the Verve 2, but at $40 less. The Crossroads Elite offers no additional value in my opinion, and even has a fixed stem instead of an adjustable one, limiting your range of fit.

All of that said, try both the Trek and Specialized (or other brands, if the bike shop at the Cape offers other brands) and see what fits you best. As you can see, each brand offers different tiers of "trim level", and they're more or less similar in terms of what the next step gets you. Each brand has their own philosophy on bike fit and such, so decide which brand fits best and then look at the various "trim levels" and decide what the best value is for you. If I were buying new today, I'd probably look at the Verve 2 and the Crossroads Sport. If your bike shop has Giant, the Cypress DX is similar in trim level to both the Verve 2 and Crossroads Sport, and is available for $415 for 2017 models and $450 for 2018 models.
Old 08-21-17, 07:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Another plus for buying new is you get your choice of frame size and color (depending on what's offered). In the used market, you may have to look around for a while before you find the right size. I don't know if it's a big problem in the Cape, but beach markets are often flooded, pardon the pun, with rusted bikes from being underwater or even just in the salty environment.

I did look on the capecod.craigslist site, and there doesn't look to be a lot of decent hardware for less than 200 dollars. There are some decent-looking hybrids in the $300-400 range. I imagine the bike market in a beach town is pretty strong (but possibly also seasonal). This makes the relative value of a used bike vs. new a little less, because you can buy a new bike for the same price anyone else can (I would guess).

You may find better used bike prices where you live inland.

Sometimes you just get lucky. The good deals won't be sitting on Craigslist for long. I bought a very nice condition 1997 Trek 750 for $65 a few months ago, but I happened to see it 19 minutes after the guy posted it, and I was the first (of many) to call him. The bike is so comfortable to me, it's my primary bike now. I'd have been happy to pay three times what I did. I just plain got lucky.
Old 08-21-17, 07:21 AM
MRT2

Ya. Considering the negligible price differences in the used market, a 750 would be a better score for sure with its all cro-moly frame and better parts; and not impossible to find.
True, but the 720 was still not entry level 20 or 25 years ago. That would be the 700.
Old 08-21-17, 07:36 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
A lot of great advice has been given - and it's hard to add any more.

Just a note, you almost always get value for your dollar in the middle range of any specific model. If you don't mind spending money, nobody was ever sorry they bought the best!

It sure sounds like you are looking at the right models for your intended use. Have fun test riding, and have more fun when you find yourself getting on it regularly.

Make sure you report back, as to what you end up with, and don't be afraid to be a regular here..... We like people and opinions.

Above all - HAVE FUN!
Old 08-21-17, 07:45 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Another plus for buying new is you get your choice of frame size and color (depending on what's offered). In the used market, you may have to look around for a while before you find the right size. I don't know if it's a big problem in the Cape, but beach markets are often flooded, pardon the pun, with rusted bikes from being underwater or even just in the salty environment.

I did look on the capecod.craigslist site, and there doesn't look to be a lot of decent hardware for less than 200 dollars. There are some decent-looking hybrids in the $300-400 range. I imagine the bike market in a beach town is pretty strong (but possibly also seasonal). This makes the relative value of a used bike vs. new a little less, because you can buy a new bike for the same price anyone else can (I would guess).

You may find better used bike prices where you live inland.

Sometimes you just get lucky. The good deals won't be sitting on Craigslist for long. I bought a very nice condition 1997 Trek 750 for $65 a few months ago, but I happened to see it 19 minutes after the guy posted it, and I was the first (of many) to call him. The bike is so comfortable to me, it's my primary bike now. I'd have been happy to pay three times what I did. I just plain got lucky.
Yep. Luck. A Trek 750 for $65 is a steal.
Old 08-21-17, 07:58 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Is the Verve 2 or 3 worth the additional cost over the 1? I see a case for upgrading to the Verve 2, but probably not the Verve 3.

Verve 1 - $440 - 7 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain with freewheel and fixed quill stem
Verve 2 - $550 - 8 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain with cassette and adjustable quill stem
Verve 3 - $660 - 9 speed Shimano Alivio drivetrain with cassette and adjustable quill stem

Cassette hubs are generally more robust than are freewheel hubs, and the adjustable quill stem will give you more adjustment range than the standard quill stem. It's another $110 for the Verve 2, but probably worth it. From what I see, the additional $110 beyond that for the Verve 3 gets you a 9 speed cassette instead of an 8 speed cassette, and a better derailleur. I personally would not spend the extra coin. All Verves come with trigger shifters (click to shift).

Specialized's offering in this market is the Crossroads.

Crossroads - $440 - 7 speed Shimano Tourney drivetrain with freewheel and adjustable quill stem and twist shifters
Crossroads Sport - $510 - 8 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain with cassette and adjustable quill stem and trigger shifters
Crossroads Elite - $750 - 9 speed Shimano Acera drivetrain with cassette and fixed stem and trigger shifters

The specs on the base Crossroads are pretty much identical to the Verve 1, except that the Crossroads comes with twist shifters on the base model, whereas the Verve has trigger shifters. The Crossroads Sport looks to be the best value out of all of these -- with the same drivetrain and stem and shifter type as the Verve 2, but at $40 less. The Crossroads Elite offers no additional value in my opinion, and even has a fixed stem instead of an adjustable one, limiting your range of fit.

All of that said, try both the Trek and Specialized (or other brands, if the bike shop at the Cape offers other brands) and see what fits you best. As you can see, each brand offers different tiers of "trim level", and they're more or less similar in terms of what the next step gets you. Each brand has their own philosophy on bike fit and such, so decide which brand fits best and then look at the various "trim levels" and decide what the best value is for you. If I were buying new today, I'd probably look at the Verve 2 and the Crossroads Sport. If your bike shop has Giant, the Cypress DX is similar in trim level to both the Verve 2 and Crossroads Sport, and is available for $415 for 2017 models and $450 for 2018 models.
My 1997 Bianchi Advantage is full cro moly frame and fork, Shimano Acera/STX derailleurs, twist shift, and 7 speeds. So, at least comparable to modern entry level Verve 1 or Crossroads.
Old 08-21-17, 09:10 AM
hokiefyd 

My 1997 Bianchi Advantage is full cro moly frame and fork, Shimano Acera/STX derailleurs, twist shift, and 7 speeds. So, at least comparable to modern entry level Verve 1 or Crossroads.
Sounds exactly like my Trek 750. Chromoly frame/fork, STX derailleurs and crankset, Sram SRT-400 twist shifters, and a Shimano IG50 7 speed cassette. These older hybrids are definitely mid-level or better compared with today's bikes. STX back in the day was where the base level Deore is now. I'd say these are closer to Verve 3 or Crossroads Elite today. If not in number of speeds, in quality of build. 7 speed back in the 1990s was very much middle class, probably about where 9 speed is today, but the construction of the frame and wheel specs (stronger, sturdier wheels) were top-shelf.

A 720 would probably be equivalent to the Verve 2 today. It's got a cassette rather than a freewheel (a plus), and an Acera-X (I think) drivetrain -- roughly comparable to an Altus drivetrain today I'd say. I'd put the 700 Sport you mentioned earlier (base trim) in with the Verve 1 and Crossroads, with a Tourney-level drivetrain with a 7 speed freewheel.
Old 08-22-17, 04:47 AM
DorkDisk

True, but the 720 was still not entry level 20 or 25 years ago. That would be the 700.
700 was lower, but I don't consider a hi ten rear triangle anything but low end
Old 08-22-17, 06:11 AM
MRT2

700 was lower, but I don't consider a hi ten rear triangle anything but low end
Depends on the year. I believe after 1997 the frames were full cro moly.
Old 08-22-17, 08:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Yeah, in the 1990s, the 7xx series Multi Tracks were definitely a mix of materials, and I think it did vary by model year. In general, the 700 Sport had the lowest amount of good steel (with most of it being high-tensile) and the 750 and 790 had the highest amount of good steel (with most or all of it being double-butted True Temper OX chromoly). The 720 and 730 were somewhere in the middle.

I have all of the Multi Track sales materials downloaded from vintagetrek.com; I can look and see what changed throughout the years.
Old 08-22-17, 11:32 AM
Kayaksalone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking the medium size frame will be to big for the OP. She said she was 5.5 and I think a medium would be better for someone 5.7 to 5.9 but i could be wrong. It wont hurt to look and test ride.
Old 08-22-17, 04:21 PM
hokiefyd 

I got curious and looked it up. It appears like the 720 ran from about 1990 through at least 1999. It does go back and forth a little bit, at least if Trek's tech manuals are accurate. It appears that '91-'93 is all chrome-moly; '94 and later has a chrome-moly main triangle and high-tensile stays.

By '99, it looks like they were deprecating the 7xx series and they had only the 700 and 720 remaining in the lineup. '98 was the last year for the 730, and it was listed as full chrome-moly. '97 was the last year for the 750, and it is also full chrome-moly.
Old 08-24-17, 01:04 PM
Chatham Beach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the write up for the bike - still too new to post photo:
This is a great hybrid bike, made of cro-moly steel, a product of the USA. Just tuned up, so it shifts nicely, spins smoothly, and brakes without a problem. The tires will handle both light trails and pavement without making noise, unlike MTB tires. Comfortable geometry, medium size, will fit you if you are about 5' 5" - 5' 9".

I tried to look up based on color - It is a vivid blue but was unsuccessful.

I see a Trek multi track 750 for $175 Here is the write up:

This is a very nice Trek Multi-Track 750 hybrid bicycle that was made in the USA. It has a 19" (48cm) frame that would fit a rider approximately 5'4"-5'11". This bike is all tuned up and needs nothing. The reliable Suntour drivetrain shifts smooth and the bike is very comfortable. It features aluminum 700c quick release wheels along with an aluminum quick release seatpost. The pedals have removable cages on them for added security while pedaling. This bike would be great for commuting, gravel riding, light trails, or just riding around town.

I also see a Specialized Epic -
Full suspension specialized epic for sale in good condition. Fox front fork and fox rear shock. Michelin tires, brand new grips never been used, and new brakes, new pedals. The bike is very light and is a great bike for the trails. Does well on jumps as well. Overall this bike is fantastic and I am going to be sad to see it go but I need something bigger. Let me know if your interested. Thanks for looking.

He is asking $500. I am not sure if this is more an off the road bike and no size is mentioned.

Thank you so much for your replies. I am going to have this bike for a while so I want to really do my research and make sure I get the right one. I will be going up labor day to check some bike sales at the Cape. I am still considering new as well. I am trying to watch some You Tube videos to learn but there is conflicting information and some does not seem to make sense to me. Wash a bike chain in soap? Shouldn't a solvent be used as soap attracts dirt and do you really want to rinse off with water? I would think you would not want water to get in the inner workings ... but I am a newbie so perhaps that is just the way it is done.
Old 08-24-17, 01:29 PM
dslteck

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I like buying new myself, because I feel the service at the bike store is worth every penny. Most stores offer a period of free maintenance/adjustments for some time after the purchase. I'm lucky enough that my local Trek store offers lifetime. In the months I've been riding again, I've been a frequent visitor to get things tweaked just right, and their service has been worth its weight in gold. Not sure what the stores will be like near you, but I think they're worth checking out, because a relationship with a good store can make the whole experience better.

This, 100%!
Old 08-24-17, 02:39 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
One of the dumbest thing I did was sell a mint Multi-Trak 750 True Temper frame (Complete Bike) 7 years ago. I paid $20 for it, and made good coin on it, but still. I should have kept that bike.

What about a Cannondale Quick? Around $500 new depending on model, but a very nice bike.

Go to a good LBS. See what they have.
Old 08-24-17, 06:20 PM
hokiefyd 

Both the 720 and 750 sound like they work well and have been taken care of. The 750 having a Suntour drivetrain means it's one of the earlier ones. While generally more desirable due to their lugged frame construction that many prefer, I don't think the Suntour drivetrain has index shifting. That is, I don't think you can click once to upshift a gear, click again to upshift another gear, etc. I think the Suntour stuff from this vintage was friction shifting, meaning you have to feather the shifter yourself. I don't know that for a fact (that the Suntour stuff is friction and not indexed), but I think that may be the case.

If any of that causes you pause, then your best option may be a new bike that you have a warranty and service on. I prefer indexed shifting myself, and if I bought an older bike like that, I'd probably upgrade it. Problem is, if you pay up for a used bike, you don't have much room left to upgrade on it and not spend more than it's really worth. You could put a hundred bucks into it fitting modern parts, and it'd be a really cool '90s hybrid, but you're also getting close to the cost of new at that point. Those kinds of projects make the most sense when you can pick up a used one for a song.
Old 08-24-17, 06:26 PM
hokiefyd 

I am trying to watch some You Tube videos to learn but there is conflicting information and some does not seem to make sense to me.
Bikes 101: almost everything is personal preference. No matter what you do, someone else will think you're doing it wrong, and someone else will agree that your way is the only way to do it.

Wash a bike chain in soap? Shouldn't a solvent be used as soap attracts dirt and do you really want to rinse off with water? I would think you would not want water to get in the inner workings ... but I am a newbie so perhaps that is just the way it is done.
You can clean a chain in a petroleum solvent, let it dry, and then re-lube. Or, you can clean a chain with soap and water, flush it good with water, let it dry, and then re-lube. In either case, you're getting oil and lubrication into the rollers and bearings and flushing the dirt and grit out. Depending on the bike you get (the number of speeds), bike chains are pretty inexpensive. 5/6/7/8 speed bikes use the same width chain, and you can get a very nice nickel-plated chain for about 15 bucks (KMC Z8.99). Given even just basic care, this chain shouldn't ever rust on you. Even basic good quality chains for 8 speed and below can be had for 10 bucks. As you go up in speeds, chains get narrower and more expensive. 9 speed chains are specific to 9 speed. 10 speed chains are specific to 10 speed. 11 speed chains are specific to 11 speed. My personal preference is 8 speed and below for low cost and parts interchangeability with my other bikes. But, it's just that: personal preference. There really is no right or wrong answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.