Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Headphones/Ear buds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Headphones/Ear buds

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 11:09 AM
m7ickey

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headphones/Ear buds

I was curious how many people do city/road riding listening to music. I have a hybrid and live in a small city with average traffic (nothing extreme). I have and use a mirror but am hesitant to listen to music while riding. I can always hear traffic coming and don't know how comfortable I'd be if I couldn't.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you use ear buds? If so, what has your experience been, i.e., any close calls do to the ear buds? Anyone use them and change their mind after doing so?

EDIT: to be more specific and hopefully get the replies I'm looking for:

1. Have you used them, Yes or No. If no, please spare me your opinion
2. If Yes, have you had any close calls or accidents when using them?
3. If yes, did you stop using them due to close calls or accidents?

I am ready for the, "try them and find out" responses but really just want to hear what others experience has been. Thanks!

Last edited by m7ickey; 02-04-18 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 11:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Old 02-04-18, 11:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,422 Posts
A topic of ongoing and sometimes acrimonious debate.

Some will say it's unreasonably dangerous, others say they wear them and can still hear traffic as well as without.
Then are all the opinions in between.

When it's over and the mods close the thread, you'll be back To where you started.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-04-18, 11:18 AM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well hopefully I'll hear some peoples experience before they close the thread
Old 02-04-18, 11:37 AM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AlexanderLS, this cracked me up: "BikeForums - Home of the rudest cyclists on earth"
Old 02-04-18, 11:44 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by m7ickey
I was curious how many people do city/road riding listening to music. I have a hybrid and live in a small city with average traffic (nothing extreme). I have and use a mirror but am hesitant to listen to music while riding. I can always hear traffic coming and don't know how comfortable I'd be if I couldn't.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you use ear buds? If so, what has your experience been, i.e., any close calls do to the ear buds? Anyone use them and change their mind after doing so?

EDIT: to be more specific and hopefully get the replies I'm looking for:

1. Have you used them, Yes or No. If no, please spare me your opinion
2. If Yes, have you had any close calls or accidents when using them?
3. If yes, did you stop using them due to close calls or accidents?

I am ready for the, "try them and find out" responses but really just want to hear what others experience has been. Thanks!
I'm happy to answer reasonable questions:
1. No, but I wear hearing aids instead.
2. No.
3. No.
Old 02-04-18, 11:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Old 02-04-18, 11:49 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
In some locations, such as here in Chicago, earbuds are illegal for cyclists. There may be an exception for a single bud, such as are worn by many bike messengers. If you were in an accident while wearing earbuds, it might be damaging to your defense. Just saying. Personally, I don't wear them on the bike. There are some pretty quiet cars!
Steve
Old 02-04-18, 11:53 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wear an earbud in my right ear to listen to podcasts. It’s no more distracting than listening to the radio in a car.

If I’m on the bike trail, I’ll put both in ,particularly if I am listening to music.

Last edited by caloso; 02-04-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 11:57 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not only do I wear earbuds (JLab Epic Air) but I have Comply noise-isolation foam tips on them. As a sighted person, I get 90% of my sensory input through my eyes, so I will continue to rely on vision to keep me alive. As many have pointed out, even if you can hear a car behind you, you have almost no chance of judging where that car is relative to you, and zero chance of doing anything about it. I see more people on bikes with earbuds in than without. The running-around-waving-hands-in-the-air-because-the-sky-is-falling crowd is almost purely limited to the realm of Bike Forums.

Just be sure to get a comfortable pair. I went through half a dozen before I found a set that was comfortable for long periods, while also blocking out wind noise.
Old 02-04-18, 11:58 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Every ride!

And a rear view mirror!
Old 02-04-18, 12:03 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Yes, I use them always. But - they are not "in ear" buds, they sit outside the ear (plantronic backbeat fit). They permit all ambient sound. Volume is controlled by an earpiece tap, and when on the streets I lower it to soft background level, then increase volume on MUPS. I actually find myself much more aware when I ride with earbuds, I use my eyes and turn my head a lot more often to make double sure I am safe. Never had an issue or problem as a result of the buds and, in fact, I find I am much more patient as a result.
Old 02-04-18, 12:04 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Might seem funny but it's no joke.
If you express an opinion that a long time community member disagrees with. They will be rude, they will violate forum rules doing so, you will get a strike when you say anything rude back.
The rules only apply to us newer community members.

It's really quite a toxic community.
Almost by definition, road cyclists are generally a bunch of ***holes (especially the "serious" kind). We're just the creme de la creme, in here. Place is full of prima donnas, too.
Old 02-04-18, 12:06 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
If you express an opinion that a long time community member disagrees with. They will be rude, they will violate forum rules doing so, you will get a strike when you say anything rude back.

Weird.... I find this one of the nicest forums around. Well....except for maybe the road forum, LOL!
Old 02-04-18, 12:06 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anyway, to get back to the subject at hand. No! I don't wear earbuds. When I go out riding I purposefully want to rid myself of any kind of media.
Old 02-04-18, 12:08 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Weird.... I find this one of the nicest forums around. Well....except for maybe the road forum, LOL!
You nailed it!
Old 02-04-18, 12:08 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't really like to ride on windy days due to the noise the wind makes - keeps me from hearing my surroundings. If, for example, I decide to get a swig of water and swerve a little without realizing a car is right on my butt - the result could be catastrophic depending on the road. Not that I always swerve whenever I take on water - it's an example. I might swerve a little just because I'm enjoying the scenery.
So "nay" on earbuds for me.

But others don't seem to mind using sight only. Do what you want.
Old 02-04-18, 12:10 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, that's why it cracked me up, I have run across the rudeness in some of my threads. There really are a lot of people on here willing to help you out though including me when I can. I just scroll by the rudeness (or holier than though stuff) and look for the answers I'm seeking
Old 02-04-18, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not in the city, and not for 30 years.
In the country , at 6pm, when most are home, so road is quiet.

Ear buds that still let me hear cars coming from behind.. 12 miles.. Books on Tape.. Cassettes from the public library ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-04-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 12:12 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Yes, I use them always. But - they are not "in ear" buds, they sit outside the ear (plantronic backbeat fit). They permit all ambient sound. Volume is controlled by an earpiece tap, and when on the streets I lower it to soft background level, then increase volume on MUPS. I actually find myself much more aware when I ride with earbuds, I use my eyes and turn my head a lot more often to make double sure I am safe. Never had an issue or problem as a result of the buds and, in fact, I find I am much more patient as a result.
Good point on being more aware, I like that line of thinking
Old 02-04-18, 12:16 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
When I go out riding I purposefully want to rid myself of any kind of media.
Another good point. However, I think this would apply more to a country ride or trail, i.e., escaping the chaos type of ride. For me, riding from point A to point B in the city I'd like to jam some music.
Old 02-04-18, 12:18 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
For the past 5 years (~23,000 miles) I've used an earbud on every "solo" ride (in the curb side ear only), on road, commuting, and mtb rides. Never had a situation where the earbud caused an issue.

OTOH Group rides = no earbud, EVER, since communications from other riders can and will come from all directions.

Last edited by Riveting; 02-04-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 12:22 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Good point on being more aware, I like that line of thinking
I don't know if other people experience this but...on the rare occasions I drive a car I am much more active in checking rear and side views, not just using mirrors, because I bike. When I ride with people who do not bike, they pretty much look straight ahead and infrequently check their rear view. They zone out going straight ahead.

It's the same effect with headphones. They make me much more aware visually (although I actually can hear everything, but electric cars are an issue buds or not). I'm constantly surveying my surroundings. In those instances where I don't have my buds, I do tend to zone out a bit more for some reason.
Old 02-04-18, 12:22 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another good point. However, I think this would apply more to a country ride or trail, i.e., escaping the chaos type of ride. For me, riding from point A to point B in the city I'd like to jam some music.
I'm the opposite. In the city--commuting and whatnot--I want ALL of my senses working for me. Although, to be honest, I don't know if wearing earbuds is inherently unsafe. They're probably not. But, I feel safer not using them and that is what counts for me.

In addition to cutting off the extra "noise" by not wearing them, I also have kind of an "existential" (for lack of a better term) beef against them. It seems that so many of us, these days, just exist in our own little bubbles without regard for one another. This is a personal quirk, I understand.
Old 02-04-18, 02:35 PM
DimplePimple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've cycled with headphones for 15 years in the city. I believe they actually improve my hearing because they cut out the wind. They are usually supra-aural though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.