Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clothing for cold weather cycling???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 07:55 AM
jryoung74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first year of considering riding in weather below 55. As I've done a lot of shopping around for clothing and without buying a ton of things to trial, I've come to become a little confused. I do not have the money to go buy a bunch of things to try, so I thought I would seek your opinions on perhaps the type and brands. My plan is to begin riding at around 40F, maybe 35.
I bought a few pairs of Nashbar brand pants. One of them the chamois hangs down about 3 inches below my croch and the other is not too bad. What kind of pants do you recommend? Is it OK to wear a pair of Under Armor compression pants over top a pair of padded shorts? When do leg warmers come into play?
As far as tops, any recommendations on thermal jerseys. What about layering? Is it good to wear a compression shirts under a jersey? When do arm warmers come into play?
I bought a pair of full boot covers, but wanted your opinion on toe warmers. Do they work and are they worth having?
I know there is a lot here, but I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond.
Old 03-31-18, 08:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have found that what you wear can be a lot more flexible if you follow the general guidelines.

You hit on it with "layering" Yes, compression shirts work as a layer, also any technical fabric workout apparel. You want to start out the ride feeling cool, perhaps cold even, because you'll warm up quickly. I'ts very individual; how many layers, and what layers, you find out by trial and error. Although I will say that it also depends on the length of the ride and the level of effort. If I'm out for an hour or less I can dress a lot more lightly than I'll need for 2-3 hour rides.

A lot of times for those temperatures I'll just layer a couple of jerseys, plus something underneath if it's colder or a long ride.
Old 03-31-18, 08:14 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
there's a better place to ask this question https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/

Your questions have likely already been answered several times.
Old 03-31-18, 08:18 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/ whole sub forum on cold stuff..

definitely depends how you are in the cold.. you may get more tolerant after a few rides too. over time you gather different options and then you can mix and match. Now I can go stand in my driveway and know what I should put on.

60 like today.. bibs, knee warmers, thicker jersey, wind vest, arm warmers (or thinner long sleeve jersey), mtn/cx gloves, buff my pocket in case it cools down

50 for me.. bibs, tights, shoe covers, long sleeve jersey, wind or thermal vest, warm gloves, buff folded so it's more like ear warmers

40.. same but thin long sleeve wool shirt and thermal cycling jacket on top

below that i'm on Zwift.. not worth freezing my hands and toes
Old 03-31-18, 08:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The winter cycling forum is good, but given the 40°-55° range, I for one am reluctant to answer in that forum regarding moderate winter temperatures like that. It can be a kind of hard-core focus there.
Old 03-31-18, 09:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Everything is dependent upon your tolerance for cold, so take any temperatures cited by others with a grain of salt.

In general, I feel that arm/leg warmers come in to play when there's the potential for big temp swings during the ride, like setting out early and facing the noon sun later, or when riding at various altitudes (not that I see that in MN). Being able to take off a piece or two and stash them in a pocket is great. Same for something like a vest, which I think is really handy. Ditto with the toe covers, which can help a lot if your shoes are very breathable (tip: some toes covers don't cover sole vents under the toes; I typically cover these vents with electrical tape in the fall and pull it back off in the spring).

When your ride temps are likely to stay below what you would deem suitable for short sleeves/bibs, then I'd bust out tights (they don't need to be cycling-specific and can just go over your bibs), LS jerseys, full shoe covers/booties, etc. A packable vest is still helpful here, too. Add a base layer as necessary, but when a base, LS jersey and vest no longer cut it, think about adding a jacket to the mix.
Old 03-31-18, 09:29 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Pull your pants up higher.

Layering works well, wear as much as you want. If you end up soaked in sweat (which is totally fine when wearing technical clothes, since they'll still keep you warm), wear fewer layers next time. Unless you are very sensitive to cold temperature, you'll find that you can wear a lot less than you would expect.

Everybody's different so there's no hard and fast rule of when to wear what. It was low 50s at the start of my commute last night, I wore a compression shirt under short sleeve jersey with arm and leg warmers and non-thermal shorts, and I could have gone with at least one fewer layer. PI rates those arm warmers for something like 60 degrees and higher, but they've served me fine down to the mid 40s. I forgot my leg warmers one day when it was in the upper 40s but my knees weren't cold at all. I saw some other commuters going about the same distance who were wearing full jackets. I don't consider myself to be insensitive to cold but when I ride, I generate a good amount of heat.
Old 03-31-18, 10:08 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A long sleeve jersey will take you into quite cool temperatures, especially if paired with a very light weight wind proof shell. There are light weight shells that weigh just 3-4 ounces and thus fold easily into a jersey pocket. Often, it may be cool first thing in the morning but warm up considerably an hour or two later when even a light shell is too warm. As mentioned, the key is to be versatile with one or two layers used singly or in combination.

Legs don't need as much insulation so as temps cool, leg warmers are enough for most people until those temps actually drop down to cold. Much also depends, not only on temps, but on the length of the ride. We are more likely to want an extra layer or two on longer rides because we are continually expending energy and body heat, especially on windy, raw days.

Much modern light weight layers will roll up into a jersey pocked but I also use a handlebar bag to carry some of those extra layers, depending on how much stuff I'm actually carrying. You will figure it out in time.
Old 03-31-18, 10:34 AM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Layering is the key.
Most of my rides start in the 50-55F range and end up in the 80s.
Leg warmers if it is below 55. Champion athletic shirt(way cheaper than Under Armor.) Short sleeve jersey with arm warmers. Cycling jacket with zip off sleeves. If it is below 50F I also have a Pearl Izumi head band/ear warmer.
Old 03-31-18, 03:45 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At those temps I like thermal bib tights and a thermal jersey with some kind of undershirt and maybe even arm warmers to start with. Bibs will really help the pants hanging off the crotch.
Old 03-31-18, 10:10 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have solved the problem of cold down to 40ºF. The key is layering and knowing what clothing you need at each temperature range.

I'm OK down to about 60 with shorts, short sleeves.

Below 60, I add arm warmers and leg warmers.

For longer rides below 55, I have long sleeve jersey and REI headwinds pants over cycling shorts. Winter cycling shoes also get worn. My feet are always cold and a bit of wind makes me freeze.

Below 50, it's cold. I bring out the thermal winter jersey will start out with wind breaker over the jersey for the first 3-5 miles until I feel warm. I'll also start out with long fingered thin leather gloves.

In the low 40s, I'll add a lightweight base layer on top or REI headwinds jacket. Legs generally stay pretty warm as I wear heavy wool ski socks.

Arm warmers and leg warmers are always in my backpack for my 22 mile morning commute and can make a difference between being too cold and being comfortable.

Wind, sun (or lack thereof) and humidity can really make the same temperature feel colder or warmer.

I am glad that I invested in headwinds pants/jacket. Base layering can be any "technical" clothing you find on sale at Marshal's, TJ Maxx, etc. I also suffered on shorter commutes (10-15 miles) and finally broke down and spend $130 on winter cycling shoes and those made the world of difference. The last piece of winter clothing that made a big difference was adding a fleece lined, thermal skull cap. It really is true: you lose body heat through your head. Adding just the skull cap made my legs warmer; I sh** you not.

Now is the time to shop around for winter gear on sale.
Old 03-31-18, 10:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This place does have a search function. Best to use it. For example:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-clothing.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...you-dress.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rain-gear.html
Old 04-01-18, 06:55 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I have solved the problem of cold down to 40ºF. The key is layering and knowing what clothing you need at each temperature range.

I'm OK down to about 60 with shorts, short sleeves.

Below 60, I add arm warmers and leg warmers.

For longer rides below 55, I have long sleeve jersey and REI headwinds pants over cycling shorts. Winter cycling shoes also get worn. My feet are always cold and a bit of wind makes me freeze.

Below 50, it's cold. I bring out the thermal winter jersey will start out with wind breaker over the jersey for the first 3-5 miles until I feel warm. I'll also start out with long fingered thin leather gloves.

In the low 40s, I'll add a lightweight base layer on top or REI headwinds jacket. Legs generally stay pretty warm as I wear heavy wool ski socks.

Arm warmers and leg warmers are always in my backpack for my 22 mile morning commute and can make a difference between being too cold and being comfortable.

Wind, sun (or lack thereof) and humidity can really make the same temperature feel colder or warmer.

I am glad that I invested in headwinds pants/jacket. Base layering can be any "technical" clothing you find on sale at Marshal's, TJ Maxx, etc. I also suffered on shorter commutes (10-15 miles) and finally broke down and spend $130 on winter cycling shoes and those made the world of difference. The last piece of winter clothing that made a big difference was adding a fleece lined, thermal skull cap. It really is true: you lose body heat through your head. Adding just the skull cap made my legs warmer; I sh** you not.

Now is the time to shop around for winter gear on sale.
Pretty much this.

I ride my road bike down to about freezing. After that, I worry about ice on the roads here in Minnesota so I move to the fatbike until it's down to about 0F.

The only change I'd make to the list above is that I don't wear wind pants. I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi top end winter bib tights (Amfib elite or something - get the top end, don't scrimp here) without a chamois and wear them over my bib shorts. I also have given up on shoe covers and have gone to the (excellent) Northwave Raptor or Flash GTX shoes. They fit like cycling shoes are supposed to are they are warm down into the 20's and up to almost 50. Above 50, I wear normal cycling shoes and add some of those neoprene toe warmers.

I have a variety of thermal jerseys, but I wear them over a base layer that varies with the temp. In the 30's, I'll wear a midweight Patagonia Capilene zip T long underwear top and above the 30's I'll switch to a synthetic wicking short sleeve T-shirt (absolutely not cotton). Over that I wear a jacket that is Neoshell and made by Foxwear. It's neoshell on the on the front and power stretch fleece on the back for venting. If it gets colder, I add a wind proof down the front layer by Warmfront Chest Warmer which is simply brilliant, cheap and very useful. You can take it off while riding and stuff it in a back pocket.

The biggest problem for me is keeping my hands warm. I generally ride with two pairs of gloves - a lighter pair and a heavier pair. Often I switch mid ride. It's hard to keep hands warm and once they are cold, they are hard to get warm. Use too warm of a glove and your hands get sweaty and then cold. Use too cold of a glove and they get cold and never warm up. When it gets really damp and cold near 30, I'm not opposed to adding a pair of Bar Mitts which are just awesome.

You just will have to experiment and you'll find that you eventually get it right. Layers are the key - done right they can be additive and subtractive during a ride.

J.
Old 04-01-18, 09:03 PM
Psychocycles

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jryoung74
This is my first year of considering riding in weather below 55. As I've done a lot of shopping around for clothing and without buying a ton of things to trial, I've come to become a little confused. I do not have the money to go buy a bunch of things to try, so I thought I would seek your opinions on perhaps the type and brands. My plan is to begin riding at around 40F, maybe 35.
I bought a few pairs of Nashbar brand pants. One of them the chamois hangs down about 3 inches below my croch and the other is not too bad. What kind of pants do you recommend? Is it OK to wear a pair of Under Armor compression pants over top a pair of padded shorts? When do leg warmers come into play?
As far as tops, any recommendations on thermal jerseys. What about layering? Is it good to wear a compression shirts under a jersey? When do arm warmers come into play?
I bought a pair of full boot covers, but wanted your opinion on toe warmers. Do they work and are they worth having?
I know there is a lot here, but I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond.
I made many mistakes when I first started by trying to be cheap and save money and buy cheap quality gear. I regretted it immensely and now only have a wardrobe of high quality winter gear. Trust me, you're better off getting the high level stuff, since it's your body that will be out there freezing. I also recommend arm warmers & leg warmers to start with instead of dedicated bibs or long sleeve jerseys as 40 degrees isn't really all that cold when you get used to it and it's nice to reuse your summer gear as much as you can.
Old 04-01-18, 09:35 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I keep warm down to 20° with thick tights a synthetic wicking long sleeve under shirt, a long sleeve jersey, arm warmers A thin bicycling jacket and shoe covers. The hardest part to keep warm is the hands. I wear thick ski gloves and on very cold days I put two of those disposable hand warmers in each glove. You need to periodically remove the hand warmers and let them get oxygen. They have warmers for your feet, but they seem to use up all the oxygen and stop working after a while..
Old 04-02-18, 12:00 PM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
40°-45°:Bib tights, long sleeve baselayer with short sleeve jersey on top, spring/fall gloves with light fleece gloves over
45°-50°: bib shorts with leg warmers, short sleeve jersey with arm warmers or light long sleeve baselayer, spring/fall gloves with silk gloves underneath
50°+: Time to get the legs out, light long-sleeve baselayer with short-sleeve jersey, spring/fall gloves
60°+ legs out, light long sleeve baselayer* with short-sleeve jersey and fingerless gloves

Colder 32°-40°: Light jacket added to above + winter gloves
Below freezing: add the fleece line jersey, thermal tights baselayer, and hand and toe warmers
Old 04-02-18, 01:19 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
It may already be a bit late but end of season closeouts in kit can provide some real bargains on good quality LS jerseys, wind jackets, vests, tights, arm/leg warmers, gloves, shoe/toe covers and helmet liners. Not all are necessary for the temps under discussion, sizes may not all be available and matching from helmet cover to shoe covers not possible but" "Winter is Coming".

-Bandera
Old 04-02-18, 01:47 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm fairly certain if every person made extensive use of the search function, and read all relevant threads before creating a new one, there would never be another new thread on the entire road cycling forum. Except when massive changes in technology occur, or to discuss individual, current races.

The practice sort of eliminates the entire point of a discussion forum.
Old 04-02-18, 01:56 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I kind of break it down like this:
>65° short sleeves and bike shorts
65-55° short sleeves, bike shorts, knee warmers (on the lower end, +arm warmers)
55-45° long sleeve thermal jersey, bib tights (on the lower end, + gloves & ear warmers)
45-30° long sleeve thermal jersey + thermal underarmor, no chamois thermal tights + bib shorts, gloves & ear warmers + shoe covers
<30° long sleeve thermal jersey + thermal underarmor + shell type thermal coat, no chamois thermal tights + bib shorts, gloves, balaclava, shoe covers, toe warmers, basically everything warm I own.

^My opinions only
Old 04-02-18, 02:13 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by firebird854
I kind of break it down like this:
>65° short sleeves and bike shorts
65-55° short sleeves, bike shorts, knee warmers (on the lower end, +arm warmers)
55-45° long sleeve thermal jersey, bib tights (on the lower end, + gloves & ear warmers)
45-30° long sleeve thermal jersey + thermal underarmor, no chamois thermal tights + bib shorts, gloves & ear warmers + shoe covers
<30° long sleeve thermal jersey + thermal underarmor + shell type thermal coat, no chamois thermal tights + bib shorts, gloves, balaclava, shoe covers, toe warmers, basically everything warm I own.

^My opinions only
That's about what I do...but anything below 55 gets gloves, anything below 45 gets a balaclava. I'd much rather sweat than have cold, exposed skin
Old 04-02-18, 02:20 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
That's about what I do...but anything below 55 gets gloves, anything below 45 gets a balaclava. I'd much rather sweat than have cold, exposed skin
I'm back and forth on the gloves, I have an interesting situation where I live about 20 mi from Lake Michigan, if it's 50 by me it will be 40 by the lake, if I decide to head that way I make a point of keeping gloves at the ready in my back pockets.
Old 04-02-18, 02:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
My god. I thought you Chicago people were hearty.
Old 04-02-18, 03:11 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My god. I thought you Chicago people were hearty.
Digesting deep dish pizza and contemplating when the Bulls are going to be good again takes a lot of blood flow. Extremities tend to get cold
Old 04-02-18, 08:08 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm somewhat similar to you guys, but with a few variations. Here's what works for me (just as a demonstration that it's a bit different for everyone).

50-60°: bib shorts, short sleeves; add knee warmers, arm warmers, wind jacket as needed
40-50°: bib tights, long sleeve thermal jersey (with a thin wool baselayer for the low end), wind jacket as needed, warm wool socks
30-40°: bib shorts, thermal underwear, leggings (not insulated), wool baselayer under short sleeve jersey, breathable soft shell (with pit zips yay), full gloves, warm wool socks, neoprene shoe covers, balaclava.
Under 30°: Now we head over to the winter cycling forum and start talking about fun stuff like snowboard helmets and specialized winter gear.

I'll also note that unlike most, I generally cover my ears if it's under 70°, due to an unfortunate propensity to ear infections in cooler weather.
Old 04-03-18, 05:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I recently got an Assos early winter long sleeve base layer. On sale of course, but still pricey. Amazing kit. Makes it more likely that I will ride in colder temps.