Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bryton users?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bryton users?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 09:48 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Bryton users?

Been using Garmin for years. Shifted to Wahoo for the last 2 years. Disappointed with the Roam, so been looking at the edge 530 but a friend told me about Bryton.

So, which is the most feature filled one out there? The Bryton 530 or the Aero 60? For navigation? Any other feedback? Pricing seems great.
Old 05-02-19, 03:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Looking at their website - Aero 60 and 450 are the flagships. Open Street Maps, GPS, GLONASS, BEIDOU, Galileo support.
Old 05-02-19, 06:31 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I spent a lot of time talking to them at CABDA in Feb. I will be bringing them in at the first opportunity. Really a good deal for the features and well made.

Old 05-03-19, 03:21 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by philbob57
Looking at their website - Aero 60 and 450 are the flagships. Open Street Maps, GPS, GLONASS, BEIDOU, Galileo support.
Thanks. Thought that the Rider 530 was the one with the biggest screen.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I spent a lot of time talking to them at CABDA in Feb. I will be bringing them in at the first opportunity. Really a good deal for the features and well made.
Well, The Aero 60 is 220 USD, and the Edge 530, 300. I think the 80 dollars more for a bigger, colour screen is worth it. I thought that the Brytons would be much less.
Likes For deepakvrao:
Old 05-03-19, 09:01 AM
philbob57

And $220 is out of my reach. Still, if Bryton thinks they have a couple of products, and if they have the money, why not take on Garmin and Wahoo with prices that are higher than the old products but still below Garmin's?

Psimet, How are you going to price them? And are you taking on the whole line? Part of the line? Just the top?

I've been looking at Bryton, IGPSport, Polar, and Lezyne for 2 years. My fear about Bryton has been support, slow uploads, a couple of reviews. And having to choose between low price/slow shipping and high price/fast shipping vs. buying at a real store. My solution has been to use a wired Sigma last year, until it popped off my bike when I wasn't looking, and my phone since then. And to continue looking at the store window. The photos of the igs618 and Bryton 450 and $200 Lezynes sure are purty....
Old 05-22-19, 05:28 PM
notmyke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
After hemming and hawing and my Lezyne SuperGPS finally ****ing me off one time too many, I was about to buy the Bryton 530e, but now I can't find it available at any major retailers; has it been discontinued or something?
Old 05-22-19, 10:35 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The 530E is still listed on Bryton's website, and is available on Amazon (USA).

I've been happy with my super-simple Rider 10 for over a year now.
Old 05-23-19, 03:19 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Bryton's website is terrible.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-23-19, 07:28 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have the Aero 60. I've had it for 2 months now and no problems yet, though I have not used it's full potential. I can say it's easy to set up thru my phone app. As of now, I like it.
Old 05-23-19, 08:27 AM
deepakvrao

Saw Shane Millers review, where he says that once a ride is started, you can't go to other settings. That's a big fail IMO.
Old 05-23-19, 08:56 PM
cycledogg

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Saw Shane Millers review, where he says that once a ride is started, you can't go to other settings. That's a big fail IMO.
What do you mean by other settings?
Old 05-23-19, 09:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by notmyke
After hemming and hawing and my Lezyne SuperGPS finally ****ing me off one time too many, I was about to buy the Bryton 530e, but now I can't find it available at any major retailers; has it been discontinued or something?
Curious what is bad about the supergps?
I've had mine for a couple years and 2 others i ride with have it too- they work quite well every time.
Old 05-24-19, 08:10 AM
cycledogg

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/bryton-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

BikeInn
Old 05-24-19, 08:53 AM
notmyke

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks.
But, given that I'm fussy about the UI on my bike computers, I'd prefer to have a US or Canada-based retailer in the event I need to return it.

(BikeInn lists their return shipping address as being in Spain.)
Old 05-24-19, 01:12 PM
notmyke

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Curious what is bad about the supergps?
I've had mine for a couple years and 2 others i ride with have it too- they work quite well every time.
1. The fact that it can't act as an odometer - it's only measuring my distance ridden if I'm "tracking" (so, my average speed on a ride is impacted by the stop-and-go moseying my way through town). How many km on my current set of tires? No idea with the Lezyne.

2. It rarely properly transfers ride data to my phone successfully.

3. The font they use is terrible for quick glances - it takes a good look to distinguish whether I'm looking at a 6 or 8 or 9 - and even the 1 and 0 are almost indistinguishable given...

4. ...the terrible glare on the display.

5. Even though I've paired it at least five times with my phone, notifications still never show up on the Lezyne.

6. Occasionally forgets the sensor(s) its paired with and I have to re-pair with the ANT+ speed/cadence and Di2 transmitters.

7. No way to correct for (or re-calibrate for) bogus altimeter or temperature readings - take a look at the photo below. That was taken at ~28m above sea level, where it was 5C outside (not the -66m below sea level, and 11C reported by the computer). The altimeter would eventually straighten out and be at least somewhere in the ballpark, but temperature was always reading ~11F / 5C too warm, even riding at night below freezing, it was reporting +3C or whatever. (Yes, that's the Mega-C in the photo, but the SuperGPS had the same issue - took three returns to finally get one that read temp accurately.)

8. It reports Di2 chain position as F2 R6, for example, instead of 53-16 (which would make a lot more sense); at least give me that option.
(They did even worse on this with the newer Mega-C recently, by using icons, and completely inverting the diagramming of the cogs - largest rear cog on the right-most; smallest on the left. For a company that touts is motto as "Engineered design"....they seem fairly dense when it comes to UI.)

Old 05-24-19, 01:52 PM
philbob57

The Giant Neostrack is based on the Bryton 530. In the US, you can buy from a Giant retailer and maybe get good support if you have problems. And if you have problems and don;t get good support, you can stand in the shop and complain loudly when there are other customers around....
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-26-19, 09:41 AM
notmyke

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I like the way this man thinks.
Old 06-17-19, 03:17 PM
notmyke

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ok - got my Bryton 530 a little over a week ago, and I'm so furious ....that no one has made mention of how this device is EXACTLY meeting my wants/needs, where no one else (yeah, I'm looking at you, Garmin - Wahoo - Lezyne!)
(Ok - Wahoo was close, but too pricey for what you get and missing key features; see below.)

The whole maps thing - I really don't care. I know where I'm going, and if I make a wrong turn and get lost a little bit...well, that's how I've discovered some of my favourite routes, so I'm OK with that.

What's to like/love:
1. It has this thing called an "odometer" (the function of which no other company seems to understand), where as soon as you start riding, right up until you stop, it's recording how far you went. And it continues ride to ride. So, if you want to know how far you've gone on your set of tires, well, it doesn't skip the 5-9km at the beginning / end of each ride where you're mucking your way through town.

2. In addition to the odometer, there's a TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 measurement, as well as DISTANCE. You reset TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 whenever you want (I reset TRIP 1 every day, so I know that in addition to my 60km training ride, I also rode another 8-11km or whatever going around town to the bike shop or post office or coffee shop or whatever; my plan for TRIP 2 is to log monthly training mileage - reset at the end of each month.)
DISTANCE is the distance of your actual training ride - from when you hit START to when you hit STOP. And while you're riding, you can display both; so, for example, I can see that I'm 38km into my training ride and 45km since I first got on the bike this morning. I can't believe that no other bike computer company has thought that this might be something that cyclist are interested in.

And yes - I know you can get all that after you upload it or from the app or whatever, but I don't want to be futzing with that as I'm blasting along at 40km/h at HR140.

3. Nice big 2.6" display.

4. Good choice in font (Lezyne could learn a thing or two here); Wahoo probably has the best font.
The Bryton is super-easy to discern a 8 from a 6 from an 0 from a 9; Lezyne is terrible - even discerning whether I'm looking at "10" or "11" is sometimes problematic (and my eyesight is fine).

5. "Priority" sizing of the screen. I want to always be able to pick out speed and cadence at a glance - and even with nine data fields, I get two big ones up top (done and done), one full-width one centered, and then six data fields below that - super-easy to get the info I want at a glance.
Again, Wahoo does this well also, with Lezyne being completely lost in the woods (if want to show four data fields, you get four equal sized quadrants; you want eight - you get eight equal-sized, same font size, boxes - brutally tough to discern speed from distance from cadence from temperature from altitude, etc. And they're all right-justified, so absolutely nothing is distinguishable from anything else. Just brutal UX design!)

6. Altitude calibration - you can program in five or six different calibration points, too. So, if you live at 20m above sea level, that can be one; if your group ride starts up in the hills a bit, that can have that set at 106m or whatever.

The biggest downside I've come across so far is the menu layout; like to get to the "reset TRIP 1" screen is six menus deep...then six "back" buttons to get out. And it's not exactly intuitive where those things are. e.g., TRIP 1 reset is SETTINGS-PROFILE-BIKE-OVERVIEW-BIKE1&2 (or something to that effect).

Oh - and the ambient air temperature reading is strongly influenced by the sun; if the unit is getting direct sunlight while on a ride, it's probably reading 3-4C warmer than actual.

But overall, this thing is a keeper for me! Good price, excellent feature set, and really, once I have it all set up (which, to my point above, is not exactly quick / easy / intuitive), it's done and you don't have to bother with that process again.

If I lived in SLO, I'd be dropping by Lezyne's offices and asking to speak with the design team and show this to them and just say, "I spent over $400 with you guys looking for a good bike computer - how could this have been so hard to do? I should've gone with the bargain unit from Taiwan from the start."

Last edited by notmyke; 06-17-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 07:18 AM
cycledogg

Ok - got my Bryton 530 a little over a week ago, and I'm so furious ....that no one has made mention of how this device is EXACTLY meeting my wants/needs, where no one else (yeah, I'm looking at you, Garmin - Wahoo - Lezyne!)
(Ok - Wahoo was close, but too pricey for what you get and missing key features; see below.)

The whole maps thing - I really don't care. I know where I'm going, and if I make a wrong turn and get lost a little bit...well, that's how I've discovered some of my favourite routes, so I'm OK with that.

What's to like/love:
1. It has this thing called an "odometer" (the function of which no other company seems to understand), where as soon as you start riding, right up until you stop, it's recording how far you went. And it continues ride to ride. So, if you want to know how far you've gone on your set of tires, well, it doesn't skip the 5-9km at the beginning / end of each ride where you're mucking your way through town.

2. In addition to the odometer, there's a TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 measurement, as well as DISTANCE. You reset TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 whenever you want (I reset TRIP 1 every day, so I know that in addition to my 60km training ride, I also rode another 8-11km or whatever going around town to the bike shop or post office or coffee shop or whatever; my plan for TRIP 2 is to log monthly training mileage - reset at the end of each month.)
DISTANCE is the distance of your actual training ride - from when you hit START to when you hit STOP. And while you're riding, you can display both; so, for example, I can see that I'm 38km into my training ride and 45km since I first got on the bike this morning. I can't believe that no other bike computer company has thought that this might be something that cyclist are interested in.

And yes - I know you can get all that after you upload it or from the app or whatever, but I don't want to be futzing with that as I'm blasting along at 40km/h at HR140.

3. Nice big 2.6" display.

4. Good choice in font (Lezyne could learn a thing or two here); Wahoo probably has the best font.
The Bryton is super-easy to discern a 8 from a 6 from an 0 from a 9; Lezyne is terrible - even discerning whether I'm looking at "10" or "11" is sometimes problematic (and my eyesight is fine).

5. "Priority" sizing of the screen. I want to always be able to pick out speed and cadence at a glance - and even with nine data fields, I get two big ones up top (done and done), one full-width one centered, and then six data fields below that - super-easy to get the info I want at a glance.
Again, Wahoo does this well also, with Lezyne being completely lost in the woods (if want to show four data fields, you get four equal sized quadrants; you want eight - you get eight equal-sized, same font size, boxes - brutally tough to discern speed from distance from cadence from temperature from altitude, etc. And they're all right-justified, so absolutely nothing is distinguishable from anything else. Just brutal UX design!)

6. Altitude calibration - you can program in five or six different calibration points, too. So, if you live at 20m above sea level, that can be one; if your group ride starts up in the hills a bit, that can have that set at 106m or whatever.

The biggest downside I've come across so far is the menu layout; like to get to the "reset TRIP 1" screen is six menus deep...then six "back" buttons to get out. And it's not exactly intuitive where those things are. e.g., TRIP 1 reset is SETTINGS-PROFILE-BIKE-OVERVIEW-BIKE1&2 (or something to that effect).

Oh - and the ambient air temperature reading is strongly influenced by the sun; if the unit is getting direct sunlight while on a ride, it's probably reading 3-4C warmer than actual.

But overall, this thing is a keeper for me! Good price, excellent feature set, and really, once I have it all set up (which, to my point above, is not exactly quick / easy / intuitive), it's done and you don't have to bother with that process again.

If I lived in SLO, I'd be dropping by Lezyne's offices and asking to speak with the design team and show this to them and just say, "I spent over $400 with you guys looking for a good bike computer - how could this have been so hard to do? I should've gone with the bargain unit from Taiwan from the start."
I have the Aero 60 and love it!
Old 06-26-19, 09:11 PM
makoman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
I have the Aero 60 and love it!
How is the text notification on the Aero 60? Does it give you the actual text or just that someone is texting you? This could be useful when my wife texts info on weather in particular.

I'm in debate between the Aero 60 and the Lezyne Mega C. It's pretty much a wash between the two based on what I can see online.
Old 06-28-19, 04:50 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
I have a Rider 10. And it has been great. When I step up to something better I will be getting another Bryton.
Old 06-30-19, 06:36 PM
notmyke

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by makoman
I'm in debate between the Aero 60 and the Lezyne Mega C. It's pretty much a wash between the two based on what I can see online.
If you care at all about tracking your total mileage, forget about anything from Lezyne - they seem to have trouble understanding what an odometer is supposed to do (namely, track all of the distance your bike travels, whether the stopwatch is running on a training ride or not).
Lezyne tracks mileage and adds to the odometer ONLY between START and PAUSE/STOP. Those first and last 5km to the edge of town and back every training ride...to Lezyne, they don't count.

Also, Lezyne's temperature readings are garbage - while they are consistent they're not accurate; every device I've used from them (five now - keep trying new ones; finally gave up), reads up to 10°F too warm.
Old 07-31-19, 03:24 AM
Leaa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I have the Bryton Rider 310T and planning to upgrade to the most updated version Rider 450T (MTB) Cycling Computer. I'm very happy with the current model and connected this to the software of Bryton. Easy to use and update but it's time to replace it. Great stuff however!

Also the Aero 60 T from Bryton looks good, however bit more expensive.