Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ISO: Fork for 24.5" Mink Blue Raleigh Professional Frame.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 08:08 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts

Hello folks!

I'm after just what the thread title says... Yes, there's a fork on Ebay that looks very much like it belongs to a Raleigh Professional and is labeled as such, but it's been badly painted over and I wouldn't pay half the asking price of $175. Anyone happen to have an original Raleigh Professional fork to match a mink blue frame set that they could let go of for a reasonable price? Cheers!

-Gregory

(p.s. I think I'd pay about $100 for a very clean one.)
Old 06-27-19, 08:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Mk.IV or Mk.V?

-Kurt

P.S.: Mods, I think it's time we add an ISO subforum and ditch the thread-style ISO/For Trade thread that's way too complicated to sort through. I usually don't even bother putting up ISO posts in there when I have something I'm looking for; doesn't feel worth it.

Old 06-27-19, 08:40 PM
Kilroy1988 

Thanks, Kurt.

Sorry. I meant to post this in the classified section where most of these threads are!

It's a Mark IV.

But honestly if I get a mink blue fork that was originally on a 24.5" Mark V, I'd be happy. The rest of the build is not a true restoration but a conglomeration of components meant for serious riding. Of course, if this option arose I'd have to be able to confirm that the two forks are the same length so that the frame sits horizontally as it should.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 06-27-19 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-27-19, 10:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Sorry. I meant to post this in the classified section where most of these threads are!

It's a Mark IV.

But honestly if I get a mink blue fork that was originally on a 24.5" Mark V, I'd be happy. The rest of the build is not a true restoration but a conglomeration of components meant for serious riding. Of course, if this option arose I'd have to be able to confirm that the two forks are the same length so that the frame sits horizontally as it should.
The ISO/For Trade is actually a thread here in the main forum, but easy to miss and easier to miss the ISOs. You do have a much better chance of finding something with this thread. Pretty sure it's time that the mods create a new forum for ISO/Trade so we're running some 2009 technology for once

Too bad it's not a 23.5" - since it's a frankenbike, I'd offer you my frame in need of a top tube repaint and I'd dig up a Competition fork in exchange for mating your frame with my nice Mk.IV fork. (I'm assuming that your build doesn't need a pristine frame...hope I'm not overreaching in my assumption).

The Mk.V fork has nothing to do with the Mk.IV and may well have shorter blades; if anything, they're raked radically differently. If you don't mind eschewing the chrome fork crown, a Competition Mk.II fork might do you well if repainted to suit.

-Kurt

Old 06-29-19, 12:59 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Too bad it's not a 23.5" - since it's a frankenbike, I'd offer you my frame in need of a top tube repaint and I'd dig up a Competition fork in exchange for mating your frame with my nice Mk.IV fork. (I'm assuming that your build doesn't need a pristine frame...hope I'm not overreaching in my assumption).
Ha! It's actually the bike my uncle (who got me into cycling) used to ride regularly throughout the late '70s all the way through the '80s, and which he's had in storage for years. I would not even bother with this particular frame and size if it wasn't recently offered up for my use and did not have sentimental value attached.

The current fork is from a Raleigh International and has been stripped of paint to reveal its chrome finish. However, it makes the bike sit slightly higher up front than in the back, and looks slightly amiss to my eye. I'll live with it until I find an appropriate replacement, though, and plan to have the bicycle ready to ride by the end of the weekend.

Cheers!

-Gregory