Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2020 -- Your Short Tours

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2020 -- Your Short Tours

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 12:38 AM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm stuck in Oz until it's safe enough to fly back to the US again and it's coming into autumn in the Southern hemisphere. Sadly, I think 2020 is going to be a tour free year.
Old 04-07-20, 05:45 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been cancelling plans a month at a time - have a Erie Canal short tour planned in June that is pretty doubtful now, but will wait until May 1 before cancelling hotel reservations.
Old 06-29-20, 04:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
'Posed to head out to S. Jersey on Wednesday for two nights. Train out of the city then about 60 miles to the campground. Wednesday I will take a day ride somewhere. I often go to a local zoo, but I saw on the news that it has been crowded, and people are not practicing safe behavior. Plan for Friday is to ride to, then up, the coast for a different train ride home from Atlantic City. NJ campgrounds are only running at 50% capacity.
Old 08-31-20, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Just booked my train to PGH and hotel for the first night on 9/11. GAP the up to Bedford to pick up PA Bike Route S with a few deviations along the way. Did this route in 2013. Not the best route in the world, especially as you get farther east, but within my current wheelhouse considering how little I’ve been riding.

Highlights include an abandoned stretch of PA Turnpike with two unlit tunnels, a major apple growing area where one of the large processors has an aromatic factory, and stunning Amish/Mennonite country, where I just was a few weeks ago.

Considering the terrain, I have planned shorter than normal days.

One of the tunnel portals was a filming location for “The Road”:

Old 08-31-20, 07:04 PM
JeffL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I rode from Cincinnati to Cleveland on the Ohio-to-Erie Trail route in late July/early August. Three days, 340 miles. The route is mostly flat, so I rode it on my single speed, to make it a little more interesting.

Journal here: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ohiotoerie/
Old 09-20-20, 08:02 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Rode the Northern extension of the GDMBR from Hinton south to the 1A highway. 460 km, it took us seven days of riding. Its as tough as any of the original Great divide sections, but the routefinding is easy, just follow the 40/734 all the way. Lots of very steep gradients up to 10% on gravel. Not much in the way of amenities, the hamlet of Nordegg has a couple of gas station/convenience stores, but they were pretty depleted when we passed through. Heavy industrial truck traffic in some sections, but the professional drivers were courteous.
Scenery is more foothills than high mountain peaks, but low cloud, fog and smoky haze made it hard to see much.
Lots of good camping alternatives, both in provincial campgrounds and random camping. Some of the campgrounds were closed for the season, which allowed us the experience of being the only campers in the large Ram Falls campground, surrounded by dense fog , and virtually no traffic on the road. It was eery.
I'd recommend it if you are ready for a tough gravel road through remote country, but be prepared for gravel, mud, dust and steep grades.
Old 09-27-20, 05:10 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A group of 6 of us did a 3 day tour from Harrisonburg, VA up through the mountains to the north and returning to Harrisonburg. The route was 130 miles with 11,000 feet of climbing and about 50 or 60 miles of the route were on gravel. Not sure if the correct term is bike packing or bike touring but who cares, we had fun. Four of the six had never toured before so this was a learning experience for them.

Ride with GPS route
Likes For hokie cycler:
Old 10-03-20, 06:56 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mrs non-fixie and I just got back from a weekend on the Ligurian coast, the Riviera dei fiori. We stayed in Nervi, and did a couple of nice rides in the area.

A trip to Portofino, a town that looked too good on pictures to not want to visit it sometime. The coastal road, the famous Via Aurelia, is busy with some steep hills and not much fun. But the ride from Rapallo to Portifino is really nice.

The coastal road near Pedale:

The approach to Portofino:

Portofino harbor:

Pedale from the other side:

The other trip went from San Lorenzo to Ospedaletti, on a former coastal train track made into a cycling road. I am not a big fan of this concept, as these paths often tend to be isolated and boring, but this was an exception.

Near San Lorenzo:

Approaching San Remo:

The old Sam Remo train station:

The end of the track at Ospedaletti. Monaco is just around the corner:

Likes For non-fixie: