Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TRP HY/RD brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TRP HY/RD brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 04:30 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
TRP HY/RD brakes

So it turns out that I have all the parts needed to put together a 10 speed DI2 system except shifters - was looking to get a pair of shifters to complete the group and then putting it on a gravel frameset. 10 speed should be ok for me for now, and i can always upgrade down the road later, if i so desire.

The frame is going to be a disc brake frameset so that i can swap wheelsets with my other bikes. As I want to minimize the spending on this bike, was thinking of getting 6770/6870 shifters to complete the build. But these are cable brake levers.

I have no desire to run mechanical disc brakes - however, the TRP HY/RD brakes could be an option, as they seem to avoid some of the issues of mechanical brakes. Are these worth getting (I realize they wont have the same modulation and braking power as hydraulics - as long as they are comparable or better than rim brake versions and not too fussy to maintain, I am happy).

Also, can the brake cable for these be routed internally, the same as hydraulic hoses?

Edit to add - last question: are there compatibility/spacing issues due to the larger size of these calipers?

TIA!

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-19-20 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-19-20, 06:09 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Not sure how much you want to spend, but the TRP Hylex brakes/levers with Di2 mod could be an option for getting hydraulic brakes more cheaply than a Shimano set-up.
Likes For blazin:
Old 05-19-20, 06:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I occasionally peruse Di2 parts and I swear that I've seen 10-sp Hydro DA on the cheap more than a few times. I'm talking sub-$200 for the pair.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-19-20, 06:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Related option- juintech makes a cable hydraulic option that is smaller than the hy/rd. It comes in post mount(r1) and flat mount(f1) and a few different colors.

I have the f1 model on my gravel bike because I didn't want to give up my Gevenale shifters when I built up the frame. I used compressionless brake housing and the breaks work extremely well.

https://www.ebay.com/i/142986796456?...hoCNUsQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/132876764147?...xoC2h8QAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/223775065066?...r=522511929860

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-19-20, 08:14 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I occasionally peruse Di2 parts and I swear that I've seen 10-sp Hydro DA on the cheap more than a few times. I'm talking sub-$200 for the pair.
Oh, that would be perfect - i didnt even realize there were 10 speed hydro DI2 levers. Do you happen to know the model number?
Old 05-19-20, 08:15 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by blazin
Not sure how much you want to spend, but the TRP Hylex brakes/levers with Di2 mod could be an option for getting hydraulic brakes more cheaply than a Shimano set-up.
Well, I dont want to spend more than i have to, but at the same time, i am not going to screw up the build just to save a couple of hundred bucks... thanks for that tip, will check those out as well.
Old 05-19-20, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Oh, that would be perfect - i didnt even realize there were 10 speed hydro DI2 levers. Do you happen to know the model number?
No idea. Maybe I'm wrong and they're 11sp, though. I might be able to do a quick search after the morning errands.
Old 05-19-20, 08:18 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Related option- juintech makes a cable hydraulic option that is smaller than the hy/rd. It comes in post mount(r1) and flat mount(f1) and a few different colors.
I have the f1 model on my gravel bike because I didn't want to give up my Gevenale shifters when I built up the frame. I used compressionless brake housing and the breaks work extremely well.
In your experience, has the performance been better than a mechanical disc? How about setup and maintenance? i will be traveling a fair bit with the bike i am putting this on, so want something that can be easily tweaked if need be.
Old 05-19-20, 08:31 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No idea. Maybe I'm wrong and they're 11sp, though. I might be able to do a quick search after the morning errands.
I'll also check shortly - but all the 10 speeds i can find are cable-actuated levers only.
Old 05-19-20, 08:32 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Also, for those of you using TRP HY/RD and similar brakes - how is the braking performance? It doesnt have to as good as hydraulic, but as long as it is comparable to or preferably better than rim brakes, I am good.
Old 05-19-20, 10:07 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...oxOjQ6cjc4NQ==
Might be 11sp but with Di2 doesn't the shifter just tell the der how far to move and it will work fine with any shimano 11sp cassette? 200 for shifters and brakes I'd rather buy a cassette and go 11sp then buy shifters for 200 plus cable actuated hydraulic for another 150.
Old 05-19-20, 10:50 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
If you're gonna spend $200+ might as well go full hydro:
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...nt-103562.html
Old 05-19-20, 11:03 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Oh awesome - that's fantastic. I never even realized that there was a 10 speed Di2 - the model number is non-standard, so that's what threw me off..

Ordering it off Competitive Cyclist now.... thanks a lot, WhyFi Russ Roth and Elvo !!

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Might be 11sp but with Di2 doesn't the shifter just tell the der how far to move and it will work fine with any shimano 11sp cassette? 200 for shifters and brakes I'd rather buy a cassette and go 11sp then buy shifters for 200 plus cable actuated hydraulic for another 150.
Yup - as per my compatibility chart, this would be compatible with my old 6770 FD/RD. To go 11 speed, i will need to replace both the RD/FD as well, though, as those arent 11-speed compatible. But that's ok, can always upgrade them later - for now, this solves my problem a lot more elegantly (and cheaply) than getting 6780 shifters and paying $250+ for th e TRP brakeset.

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-19-20 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-19-20, 02:04 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
There is the Giant solution Called Giant Conduct mech/hydro/disc.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-19-20, 07:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
In your experience, has the performance been better than a mechanical disc? How about setup and maintenance? i will be traveling a fair bit with the bike i am putting this on, so want something that can be easily tweaked if need be.
Performance is fine for me...I'm still alive after all the times I've used it! Today's ride was 45mi and 3350' of climb where its constant 50-150' hills over and again. Lots of short steep descents where braking is needed coming to turns or intersections- im 225# and stop fine.
The brakes stop me as well as v-brakes...which is a compliment because the ones I've used can make a bus skid.
I think the compressionless brake housing is a big reason i like the setup.

Installation is simple. There is a 3min YouTube video from the company and its a basic system- you can see the adjustment screw easily and its simple to adjust the pads when installing. ​

Earlier, I didn't mention the cable routing.
juintech f1 is smaller and lighter than trp hyrd, but the cable points upward as it enters the caliper. Hyrd has the cable point down. I dont care because I don't submerge my bike in 2' or water, but the cable routing may be an issue for others.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-19-20, 11:03 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Update - ordered the 11 speed hydraulic Di2 shifters off CC. Old generation, but who cares....

Now to pick a frame. Aspero, Open UP or Chapter2 AO - or even a Giant Revolt if i wait till Oct/Nov for the 2021 MY.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-20-20, 06:14 AM
WhyFi

Now to pick a frame. Aspero, Open UP or Chapter2 AO - or even a Giant Revolt if i wait till Oct/Nov for the 2021 MY.
Oof - tough, but enviable choices.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-20-20, 09:14 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Also, for those of you using TRP HY/RD and similar brakes - how is the braking performance? It doesnt have to as good as hydraulic, but as long as it is comparable to or preferably better than rim brakes, I am good.
running them on two tandems. There's adequate stopping power for the tandem (and we've taken it down 20% plus grades)

in terms of power and modulation, I'd put put them about evenly between cable actuated disks and hydraulic. Better than cable, not as good as full hydraulic, but overall not bad.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh: