Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels?? What kind??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon wheels?? What kind??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 05:29 AM
Izzy77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Light Bicycles AR46. Enjoy.
I really like these models! Great advice
Old 06-03-20, 08:02 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
<extended fart noise>

The OP can spend whatever he wants on wheels, and it won't make him any faster. The butt dyno might feel a little stronger, but confirmation bias is as real as anything else. In terms of speed gained per dollar, wheels are about as bad as it gets. They don't feel a whole lot different, either.

Lots of excuses provided by people who are slow-- and slow is itself a relative term. Anyone who wants to go faster-- save for the very few who are already in the realm of marginal gains-- isn't going to get there simply by buying new wheels.
I agree ---

My case study is the same route on Strava with 2 high end bikes - but separated by 25 years. There is roughly a 6 pound overall weight difference between these 2. My vintage steel bike is also wearing Gatorskins vs the nice cotton open tubulars on the Specialized.

Both using deep section wheels except one set is current technology carbon and the other set was state of the art (in 1993)

The modern bike felt faster and easier to ride --- The Gatorskin tires on the vintage rig feel sluggish

However --- Strava doesn't lie and I rode the exact same loop 2 days apart -- the new bike was marginally faster due to the gearing -- I had to dismount and walk a couple of hills on the old race bike with its aggressive cassette and 53/39 chainrings. But interestingly enough on the speedy sections, I was 1 mph faster on the old bike (even though the much heavier wheels felt sluggish at takeoff and when coasting ) -

With equivalent gearing, my gut feeling is the results would be very close between the 2.

Old 06-03-20, 09:15 AM
Midou
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh i like, look great
Old 06-03-20, 10:53 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
My case study is the same route on Strava with 2 high end bikes - but separated by 25 years.
Um, WOW... that DeBernadi is gorgeous! Who cares how fast you go on that bike, you'll look good no mater what! How on earth are you keeping the seat and bars so sparkly white?!?

That's an interesting test. Dang, now I want a vintage bike to "do some testing". That sounds like a great reason/justification to fulfill the N+1 thing... I'm doing it for science!
Old 06-03-20, 12:42 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
As I've said MANY times here, I am all in on Mavic USTs. And, for under $500 for wheels and tires I don't know how you can go wrong.
Old 06-03-20, 12:42 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
That De Bernardi bike is a thing of beauty!
Old 06-03-20, 12:52 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I'd opt for diamond, myself
Old 06-03-20, 02:39 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Um, WOW... that DeBernadi is gorgeous! Who cares how fast you go on that bike, you'll look good no mater what! How on earth are you keeping the seat and bars so sparkly white?!?

That's an interesting test. Dang, now I want a vintage bike to "do some testing". That sounds like a great reason/justification to fulfill the N+1 thing... I'm doing it for science!

Keeping the bars and seat white is easy -- just replace 'em every 2 rides ! -- LOL . But seriously. The bar wrap is a LizardSkins product which is kinda rubbery and it wipes clean with Simple Green fairly easy. The seat is just too new to show too many miles, its a modern production Turbo saddle and I think uses synthetic leather, so should be able to keep pretty clean also --- this was one of my old bikes I restored a few years ago and haven't put many miles on it since the restoration

But I thought id trounce my Strava results with the 2018 bike (I ride the loop on the older bike first) --- it just didn't happen . I will agree the lighter bike has a completely different feel though
Old 06-03-20, 10:19 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
My opinion is that you will be sadly disappointed in the gains you get from a set of carbon wheels. In fact, you'll be surprised at how poorly your brakes work compared to your existing wheels (assuming you have rim brakes). I did the experiment of upgrading from a decent set of Bontrager aluminum wheels to a used set of Bontrager Aeolus 5 carbon wheels for about $1k. About the only thing I really liked about the carbon wheels over the aluminum was that the freewheel was a lot quieter and they did look cool. The braking was awful in dry weather despite trying multiple different brake pads. In the wet... forget about braking and just start praying. On my typical 40 mile ride, there was no radical change in my average speed now that I was riding aero carbon wheels. Perhaps there was a several second benefit to the aero carbon wheels, but when one isn't competing, does a few seconds really matter?

Anywho... As other's suggested, if you look at brands like Hunt, Caden, Light Bicycle, or Winspace, you'll find you get get a really nice and light set of carbon wheels for under $1k brand new. They may feel a bit more lively than your existing wheels if you buy a light set, but I'd be really surprised if you feel the difference is huge and worth the money over a decent set of aluminum wheels.
I’ll echo this. Not to mention that the deep carbon wheels feel worse on climbs (they’re not as springy as my light alloy rims), they’re way stiffer on bumps (which hurts my rear end more), they chip when I hit sharp rocks, and I’m always afraid of cracking them on potholes.

I would say a REALLY nice alloy wheelset is a much better upgrade for rim brake users and possibly even disc brake users. Something like the top end fulcrum wheels.

That being said, the deep carbon wheels are definitely faster once I start going over 20mph. But it’s quite subtle.
Old 06-04-20, 10:45 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Oh, absolutely. If you wanna buy a shiny thing, by all means-- do that. But don't pin any expectations on 'em. They're just wheels.

I have a set fo carbon wheels myself. They look super cool. They did not increase my speed by any noticeable amount. But they look cool nonetheless.
My findings:
My bike: entry level Giant Advance Defy. Has seen better days, but it is a good ride.
My rides: Flat. Smooth Paved fast surface.
I upgraded to carbon wheelset (inexpensive SuperTeam 50mm rim brakes, slatted spokes). No other major changes. Same bike, same tires, same tubes.
I have been base-training now for over two years riding about 100 miles/week on same bike and stock aluminum Giant T2 wheelset.. Rides are around 1.5 hours, and I try to squeez in a 2.5+ hour ride each week.
My target riding intensity for 75% of my riding is Zone2 heart rate (for me that is 116 to 124BPM).
With carbon wheels, my rides (I have 5 routes I rotate) have all increased on average by .75 MPH for duration of the same routes in zone 2 ride. I have shredded my PB times of all 5 rides by almost 1MPH!
I'm not fast, but aero wheels increased my average speed from 16,25MPH to over 17MPH. PS my PB speed is just under 17.65 MPH for my 33 mile route.
Note: Braking is worse on carbon....would not like these for hills.....maybe an aluminum skin brake surface, or better yet, disc brakes if you do a lot of climbs?

Here are the upgrades that I have found gave me real increases in speed.
Of all upgrades, the one that made the biggest difference is to monitor your intensity (power-meter and/or Heart-rate monitor) and engineer your training routine around it. This gave me the biggest performance gain! I cant stress this enough.
Good/fitted road-bike pants/jersey. Helped increase speed a bit compared to loose shorts and tank-top, and I was more comfortable as well. Cost me about $40.
Good tires...I got a good bit of improvement with this upgrade....only cost me about $50. :-)
Carbon frame (not aero).....not a lick in improvement...went back to Giant Advance Defy Alux (aluminum frame).
Carbon aero 50mm wheels w/bladed spokes....biggest "upgrade" performance speed increase of all my upgrades. Frankly, I was very skeptical.
2x10 upgrade to 1x11....not really a speed increase, but I really like my 1X setup. FYI most of my riding is flat in FL, so I do not miss the small ring.

Last edited by pullings; 06-04-20 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 05:59 AM
Lilly18

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pullings
My findings:
My bike: entry level Giant Advance Defy. Has seen better days, but it is a good ride.
My rides: Flat. Smooth Paved fast surface.
I upgraded to carbon wheelset (inexpensive SuperTeam 50mm rim brakes, slatted spokes). No other major changes. Same bike, same tires, same tubes.
I have been base-training now for over two years riding about 100 miles/week on same bike and stock aluminum Giant T2 wheelset.. Rides are around 1.5 hours, and I try to squeez in a 2.5+ hour ride each week.
My target riding intensity for 75% of my riding is Zone2 heart rate (for me that is 116 to 124BPM).
With carbon wheels, my rides (I have 5 routes I rotate) have all increased on average by .75 MPH for duration of the same routes in zone 2 ride. I have shredded my PB times of all 5 rides by almost 1MPH!
I'm not fast, but aero wheels increased my average speed from 16,25MPH to over 17MPH. PS my PB speed is just under 17.65 MPH for my 33 mile route.
Note: Braking is worse on carbon....would not like these for hills.....maybe an aluminum skin brake surface, or better yet, disc brakes if you do a lot of climbs?

Of all upgrades, the one that made the biggest difference is to monitor your intensity (power-meter and/or Heart-rate monitor) and engineer your training routine around it. This gave me the biggest performance gain! I cant stress this enough.
Good/fitted road-bike pants/jersey. Helped increase speed a bit compared to loose shorts and tank-top, and I was more comfortable as well. Cost me about $40.
Good tires...I got a good bit of improvement with this upgrade....only cost me about $50. :-)
Carbon frame (not aero).....not a lick in improvement...went back to Giant Advance Defy Alux (aluminum frame).
Carbon aero 50mm wheels w/bladed spokes....biggest "upgrade" performance speed increase of all my upgrades. Frankly, I was very skeptical.
2x10 upgrade to 1x11....not really a speed increase, but I really like my 1X setup. FYI most of my riding is flat in FL, so I do not miss the small ring.
That was really informative. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-05-20, 06:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by pullings
My findings
---
So, a bit of a contradiction.. was the PM/HR monitoring and training the biggest contributor over the last 2 years to you now going .75mph faster than you were, or the wheels?

Also, related to the topic, I don't think you really know that the wheels being carbon were the reason your new wheels might be faster. Looking up online for the weight of entry level alloy wheels on Giants from a couple years back, suggest wheelset weight was probably 2-2.1kg. IOW, any halfway decent replacement alloy wheelset could have shaved about 500g off your wheels and may have offered some decent improvement right there. I think finding your size of an improvement when speeds are only in the 16-17mph range, and attributing to solely to CF aero benefit is a bit off.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-05-20, 06:53 AM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So, a bit of a contradiction.. was the PM/HR monitoring and training the biggest contributor over the last 2 years to you now going .75mph faster than you were, or the wheels?

Also, related to the topic, I don't think you really know that the wheels being carbon were the reason your new wheels might be faster. Looking up online for the weight of entry level alloy wheels on Giants from a couple years back, suggest wheelset weight was probably 2-2.1kg. IOW, any halfway decent replacement alloy wheelset could have shaved about 500g off your wheels and may have offered some decent improvement right there. I think finding your size of an improvement when speeds are only in the 16-17mph range, and attributing to solely to CF aero benefit is a bit off.
Wheels, not training.
I adjusted my training to a structured zone-based HR routine about two years ago. It is an established conditioning base in which my performance has practically plateaued.
Before that I averaging about 15MPH. 15MPH was slow, even for a 58 yr old. I was training wrong.
I bought the wheels 3 months ago after having already established my aerobic base using above routine.
I believe the benefit I am seeing is due to the deep 50mm profile, improved tire-to-rim transition, thinner profile, bladed spokes, and improved hub, not necessarily the carbon material. WHICH CARBON WHEEL is very important and what type of riding (the faster you are to begin with the better aero improvement you will see). 500g of weight also is not much of a factor for me in that my rides are on the flats. When compared to my old wheels, weight difference is minimal.
Every single ride I do for past two years I log distance, zone (HR), time while MOVING (bike computer is GPS distance/speed w/HR) on bike, calculated average. The improvements I am representing here are extrapolated from recorded data metrics over a long period of time. I am very pleased with the improvement I am seeing when compared to my old nothing-special aluminum wheels. :-)
Question: For a person who rides average 17.5MPH (a few 7% hills....up 11MPH, down 25+), what kind of improvement could one see by shaving off 500g of weight?

Last edited by pullings; 06-05-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 05:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Marginally wider, more square, and shorter.

Think about it, he's not adding material to the tire. He isn't creating something from nothing.

How much wider and how much shorter? From what I've seen, enough to make me think I've done something big when I changed rims. Once the calipers come out, it's like a milimeter.
I know it's counterintuitive but a wider rim actually does make a given tire both wider and taller. Don't ask me to explain how

but here is a graphic that's been around awhile.
Old 06-05-20, 05:44 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I know it's counterintuitive but a wider rim actually does make a given tire both wider and taller. Don't ask me to explain how

but here is a graphic that's been around awhile.
How is it the tires go through the rims?
Old 06-05-20, 05:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

You'll have to ask HED!
Old 06-05-20, 05:54 PM
asgelle

You'll have to ask HED!
Or maybe we should just ignore it (and stop reposting it) since it fails even a cursory test of accuracy.
Old 06-05-20, 06:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Seriously? I don't have any physics past high school much less any mechanical engineering. I'm not going to pretend to understand any of this. If you can explain to HED why it's wrong maybe they'll put out something different.
Old 06-05-20, 06:09 PM
asgelle

Seriously? I don't have any physics past high school much less any mechanical engineering.
But you have eyes and common sense don't you? Look at at how the tires contact the rim. They don't go around the hook, but emanate from the top of the hooked section. It should be obvious this isn't physically possible.
Old 06-05-20, 06:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Old 06-06-20, 06:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
But you have eyes and common sense don't you? Look at at how the tires contact the rim. They don't go around the hook, but emanate from the top of the hooked section. It should be obvious this isn't physically possible.
These diagrams were taken from plaster casts of mounted and inflated tires.. hence would be a bit of difficulty getting around the hooks,etc

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...view_4056.html
Old 06-07-20, 01:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Carbon rims only if you have disc brakes. Rim brakes will just scab up your expensive new rims. Carbons for disc brakes will be lighter and more aero.