Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedestrians...Do You Stop?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 06:34 PM
KevinmH9

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While cycling, I do enter a few small towns, some filled with crosswalks. While cycling today the pedestrian question crossed my mind. As cyclists, we do share the same road and rules that motorists do. With that said, are we by law supposed to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalks too?

For those wondering, I do stop at the crosswalks for pedestrians.
Old 08-25-05, 06:36 PM
kubla khan
mostly harmless

Bikes: 2004 Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer running them over. Wider tires help.
Old 08-25-05, 06:39 PM
drumbum

Bikes: Moots CX, Redline CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is weaving around them somewhere between stopping or running them over?
Old 08-25-05, 07:00 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't "stop" but I certainly yeild.
Old 08-25-05, 07:08 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again I am overwhelmed by the ignorance of my fellow cyclist. First, people want to know if it's OK to ride on the interstate. Now, if you have to stop for pedestrians in a cross walk. Is there no hope**********
Old 08-25-05, 07:14 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
Again I am overwhelmed by the ignorance of my fellow cyclist. First, people want to know if it's OK to ride on the interstate. Now, if you have to stop for pedestrians in a cross walk. Is there no hope**********

Chill out there bud..

I slow down just to the point where I don't have to unclip.

Only the dimmest of Peds can't handle that, and for those unfortunate few who can't, I consider it Darwin's fault
Old 08-25-05, 07:29 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Only the dimmest of Peds can't handle that, and for those unfortunate few who can't, I consider it Darwin's fault
Only the dimmest of cyclists want to go to court and pay damages. If a ped is crossing agains a traffic signal then that would be J-walking and the ped would be at fault for an accident- bike or car. If they are crossing with the traffic and you run the light and hit them then that would be your fault, bike or car. If there is no traffic signal, there will be signs saying 'yeild to peds in crosswalk'. If the ped is in the crosswalk and you hit them, it's on you. If they step off the curb right in front of you, then that would be on them unless you were speeding.

You may not have to stop completely to miss them. But it's a good idea to miss them.
Old 08-25-05, 07:30 PM
KevinmH9

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty honest question to say the least...In times of heavy traffic, and there is a pedestrian waiting in the crosswalk, I will stop, trying to get my point across to some of the motorists who won't stop. Most of the time I will just slow down enough to let them cross without coming to a complete stop.
Old 08-25-05, 07:45 PM
KristenGilbert

Bikes: Avanlanche 2.0 GT 2005-My second

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We want to be treated like cars, so we are supposed to stop for them just like cars would because pedestrians have the right of way, especially in crosswalks. Here is something that says that as well: https://bicycling.511.org/traffic.htm The second point says to specifically yield to pedestrians.
Old 08-25-05, 08:30 PM
madman91

Bikes: specialized hardrock pro 2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why dont WE ride on sidewalks

Old 08-25-05, 09:09 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll yield if they're too fat to run over.
Seriously, in my state--right or wrong--the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way. I generally just try to steer a safe distance around so we can both move along merrily.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-25-05, 09:14 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I yield to the peds, don't necessarily stop but I yield.

Ex. If I'm pretty far away and I see someone crossing in the crosswalk I will stop pedaling and just coast for a bit so they are clear by the time I reach the intersection.
Old 08-25-05, 09:19 PM
As You Like It
Enthusiasm on Wheels

Bikes: 1953 Schwinn Debutante, 1971 Hercules 3-speed, 1973 Schwinn Suburban, 1990 Huffy White River, 1990-something Bianchi Advantage, 1996 Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop at stop signs and stoplights, therefore I stop at ped-Xings. I often have pedestrians try to wave me through or tell me "it's okay, go ahead" and then I briefly and cheerfully explain to them that I have the same rights and responsibilities as a car driver would, including the responsibility, nay obligation to stop at crosswalks and yeild right-of-way to pedestrians.

Jaywalkers...well, those I usually slow down for, and try to swing wide so I can get around 'em, though a whole gaggle of clueless tourists, parading across the road like a clutch of ducklings after a mama duck gave me a fine excuse to have a good wreck one day earlier this summer. It had been raining, and it had cleared off for a bit, so I was busting a move trying to get home before it started raining again, and I was coming down a hill a little (okay a lot) faster than I should, when a good dozen out-of-towners come trooping out between two parked tour buses, straight out into the street, in front of me. There was no swinging wide, no swerving, nothing I could do but clamp down on my brakes and pray against litigation. I laid my bike down hard on the pavement, but I didn't wipe out any of the tourists. What ruined my evening could have ruined somebody's entire vacation, as I expect getting clobbered with 40lb of bike, 15lb of cargo, and 130lb of woman at probably around 25mph would surely mess someone up pretty badly.
Old 08-25-05, 09:26 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I yield to pedestrians, it doesn't cost me anything to go around them. I like to give them a verbal signal to go ahead so they don't do anything unpredictable. If they're so thick I can't go around, which is rare, I'll stop and wait.

Technically, I should stop. In DC the law is that all vehicles have to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, which is a new law and not the norm in the US.

If there is a traffic signal and I have the green I'll be a little more assertive, though I won't run anyone off the road. In particular on my commute there's one light that's on a stretch of downhill where I'll often be going 25+ mph. It's amazing how many people will walk right into my path against the light when there aren't cars around. I try to ride right in the middle of the road then so I have maximum ability to dodge 'em.
Old 08-25-05, 10:40 PM
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In some areas it is legal to ride on the freeway (you'll probably be able to tell by the warning signs). In some areas it is legal to ride on the sidewalk (cheaper for small towns like Winlock than putting in bike lanes that run all of 5 blocks). Stopping for pedestrians does seem like a little more of a no-brainer, but someone might wonder, is the rule exactly the same?

For example, in Washington, you stop if the pedestrian crossing the street is within one lane of your half of a two way road, so you're technically not supposed to take off as soon as they clear your lane. When I'm on the bike, I try to time it so I don't have to stop, by yielding or else mashing my way past before they get their foot onto the street.
Old 08-26-05, 12:29 AM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you kidding? They're essential to developing good bunnyhopping skills. And the old keirin shoulder knockdown too. And the sprint as they get up and chase you lol.
Old 08-26-05, 12:57 AM
ovoleg